Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4147900 times)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #61240 on: December 4, 2019, 11:46:45 pm »
Fcking hope AJ wins

Offline gwalk

• Legacy Fan
  • ní fheicfidh tú ag siúl ina n-aonar
« Reply #61241 on: December 5, 2019, 07:21:13 am »
Saw a video earlier of Dillian Whyte doing an open workout. Guy is looking rather tubby these days.

he must be off the PED's now

any word on his B sample from Eddie yet

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61242 on: December 5, 2019, 08:17:35 am »
he must be off the PED's now

any word on his B sample from Eddie yet

He will get away with it. The blueprint is there, threaten to sue ukad and they will fold

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61243 on: December 5, 2019, 04:10:57 pm »
Suggestions on best non box office (if you catch my drift) place to catch Saturdays fight lads?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61244 on: December 5, 2019, 04:50:34 pm »
Suggestions on best non box office (if you catch my drift) place to catch Saturdays fight lads?

A link will come up o the night like clockwork. I always go firstrowsports and they never let me down

Offline Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61245 on: December 5, 2019, 05:20:22 pm »
A link will come up o the night like clockwork. I always go firstrowsports and they never let me down

Cheers mate will keep an eye out should be a great fight just not enough to fork £25 for ;)

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61246 on: December 5, 2019, 05:41:15 pm »
Cheers mate will keep an eye out should be a great fight just not enough to fork £25 for ;)

I'm going out to watch it. Gonna be nervous as fcuk

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #61247 on: December 5, 2019, 05:45:27 pm »
Is Joshua heavier than for the previous fight?
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #61248 on: December 5, 2019, 05:47:16 pm »

Thought I read he's likely to be quite a bit lighter.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61249 on: December 5, 2019, 07:57:01 pm »
Definitely not, he looks like a cruiserweight. No muscle mass, body frame quite slim.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61250 on: December 5, 2019, 11:45:28 pm »
I said after the first fight that I felt it was AJ's Hasim Rahman moment and that he severely underestimated Ruiz. I don't think he'll make the same mistakes again and will take him out in 7 this time.
Not sure I see the similarity. Rahman dropped Lewis with a power punch and he was counted out. Ruiz who isn't known as a big puncher, dropped Joshua 4 times and Joshua ended up quitting on his feet.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #61251 on: December 6, 2019, 07:16:46 am »
Not sure I see the similarity. Rahman dropped Lewis with a power punch and he was counted out. Ruiz who isn't known as a big puncher, dropped Joshua 4 times and Joshua ended up quitting on his feet.

It's heavyweight boxing, they're all big punchers!

I wouldn't say it was power necessarily that dropped Joshua anyway! He walked onto one trying to get the finish and whilst I'll never call it a lucky shot, it was definitely a desperation shot. The very first punch that dropped and seriously wobbled AJ was a desperation swing from the fences from Ruiz after he'd been put on his arse. The whole dynamic of the fight changed after that.

I just don't see Joshua making that same mistake

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61252 on: December 6, 2019, 08:34:46 am »
I don't think that was a desperation shot at all. Right after getting dropped AJ nailed him with a right hand from hell and Ruiz didn't blink. He was totally aware of the counters he was throwing in my opinion

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61253 on: December 6, 2019, 08:58:25 am »
I don't think that was a desperation shot at all. Right after getting dropped AJ nailed him with a right hand from hell and Ruiz didn't blink. He was totally aware of the counters he was throwing in my opinion

Just watched it back and I'm not sure either way.  That right hand though - fucking hell.  I completely forgot about it.  I'm more convinced than ever that Ruiz isn't getting knocked out.  AJ needs to jab his way to a UD.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61254 on: December 6, 2019, 09:33:11 am »
I was shocked myself, that was a fully extended straight and he did not move. Can't fcking wait for this fight

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61255 on: December 6, 2019, 09:35:47 am »

Different views mate!  By desparation, I mean, he was in last chance saloon, AJ was gunning for his head and he was swinging with everything.

Genuinely not taking anything away from him but I just don't see a repeat

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #61256 on: December 6, 2019, 09:37:10 am »

I do mate. They both underestimated their opponents, didnt prepare brilliantly and were complacent in their fights. Like others have said before after he dropped Ruiz AJ thought he could walk through him for the ko, walked onto one and got ko'd himself. He really wont make that mistake again.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61257 on: December 6, 2019, 09:40:03 am »
What a round regardless of how you see it!

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/Y6k5XgiMqAY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/Y6k5XgiMqAY</a>

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61258 on: December 6, 2019, 09:51:37 am »
Different views mate!  By desparation, I mean, he was in last chance saloon, AJ was gunning for his head and he was swinging with everything.

Genuinely not taking anything away from him but I just don't see a repeat

That's the beauty of this thread. We frequently disagree but it is pretty much always respectful.

I hope AJ does it as I want the wilder shootout but I can't see it

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61259 on: December 6, 2019, 10:52:28 am »
I do mate. They both underestimated their opponents, didnt prepare brilliantly and were complacent in their fights. Like others have said before after he dropped Ruiz AJ thought he could walk through him for the ko, walked onto one and got ko'd himself. He really wont make that mistake again.

I don't think the late change of opponent helped either.  AJ had bulked up expecting to have to push that fat bastard Miller around the ring for 12 rounds and was preparing for an inside fight.  Ruiz is a different prospect entirely (apart from the fat bastard bit!).

I think AJ will do it this time, but it will be much more competitive than Lewis v Rahman II.  No one is sponsoring the bottom of Ruiz's boots this time!

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61260 on: December 6, 2019, 02:04:34 pm »
Ruiz weighing 283lbs!!! Fcking hell, this fight gonna be a shoot out

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #61261 on: December 6, 2019, 02:05:16 pm »
Definitely not, he looks like a cruiserweight. No muscle mass, body frame quite slim.

You all are right, weights just came out, and AJ is at 237lbs, while Ruiz is 283.7lbs.

Joshua going for speed and stamina. Ruiz going for KO.

EDIT: well Clayton was faster.
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #61262 on: December 6, 2019, 02:21:20 pm »
Ruiz will win again and make it look easier than before, he's just a much better boxer and has had a full camp this time.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61263 on: December 6, 2019, 02:24:15 pm »
Ruiz weighing 283lbs!!! Fcking hell, this fight gonna be a shoot out

Holy fuck.  Sounds like he's been on the Duran 1980 diet.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61264 on: December 6, 2019, 03:05:14 pm »
Ruiz will win again and make it look easier than before, he's just a much better boxer and has had a full camp this time.

I agree. Think he's a better boxer overall. Joshua is great and I want him to win but think with a full camp and coming in at that weight he'll catch Joshua again and knock him out. Will be a great fight

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61265 on: December 6, 2019, 03:17:35 pm »
Ruiz is a brilliant boxer. Was looking at his previous fights earlier and his punches are so crisp and well placed. I don't think it's going to be a blowout for Ruiz but I can't help but help but feel very nervous for Joshua for some reason. :-\ He loses this and he is done, no way is he beating Wilder or Fury if he can't get past Ruiz.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61266 on: December 6, 2019, 03:27:52 pm »
I agree. Think he's a better boxer overall. Joshua is great and I want him to win but think with a full camp and coming in at that weight he'll catch Joshua again and knock him out. Will be a great fight

Why the added weight though?  He got the KO last time, more or less with one punch, so doesn't need to add power.  Joshua coming in lighter suggests he's going to make full use of that reach advantage, and you could do without carrying an extra stone if you're going to be chasing him down all night.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #61267 on: December 6, 2019, 03:31:54 pm »
I thought Ruiz was pictured a few months ago having lost a load of weight? Has he packed it all, and more, back on in a short time?

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61268 on: December 6, 2019, 03:36:11 pm »
I thought Ruiz was pictured a few months ago having lost a load of weight? Has he packed it all, and more, back on in a short time?

Yeah I thought the same thing.  The narrative was that he was out of shape in the first fight because it was late notice and he was going to be in much better shape this time.

2 stone heavier than the Parker fight!  Either he's coming for an early KO, or he's been partying like Buster Douglas.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61269 on: December 6, 2019, 03:38:41 pm »
Why the added weight though?  He got the KO last time, more or less with one punch, so doesn't need to add power.  Joshua coming in lighter suggests he's going to make full use of that reach advantage, and you could do without carrying an extra stone if you're going to be chasing him down all night.

I think he's added more muscle. He looks slimmer so coming in heavier suggests he's added muscle and is going for power. If he can keep his speed AJ will be in trouble

If AJ can jab him away and get the decision then I think that's the better route to the win. It's gonna be boss

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61270 on: December 6, 2019, 03:43:38 pm »
I think he's added more muscle. He looks slimmer so coming in heavier suggests he's added muscle and is going for power. If he can keep his speed AJ will be in trouble

If AJ can jab him away and get the decision then I think that's the better route to the win. It's gonna be boss

Think he might start to regret that if the fight goes longer than 3-4 rounds.  Should make for a good fight though like you say.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #61271 on: December 6, 2019, 03:47:09 pm »
He kept his top on this time so will be interesting to see if he has added muscle and lost fat - I’m dubious he’s managed to do that to the degree the weight suggests though.

If Joshua can keep him at bay for 4 or 5 rounds then the weight could really hurt him.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #61272 on: December 6, 2019, 05:49:02 pm »
He kept his top on this time so will be interesting to see if he has added muscle and lost fat - I’m dubious he’s managed to do that to the degree the weight suggests though.

If Joshua can keep him at bay for 4 or 5 rounds then the weight could really hurt him.
His chest looks way bigger (and not moobs from what we can see) so I reckon he has put on a decent amount of muscle. By all accounts though, he has been enjoying himself as champ, and why not? I've been saying for ages that the best version of AJ is around 17 stone so I foresee a better performance than last time. I'm sitting on the fence regarding a prediction though!

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61273 on: December 6, 2019, 06:17:42 pm »

Whyte cleared of using PEDs
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61274 on: December 6, 2019, 07:32:43 pm »
I don't believe for one second that Ruiz is 20st. All part of the game.

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61275 on: December 6, 2019, 07:41:10 pm »
Sorry if already asked. What time do we expect the main event tomorrow ?

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61276 on: December 6, 2019, 07:56:23 pm »
Joshua to win by Ko5/6

He'll be much more aggressive with the jab and straight right, mixing to the body every now and then like Rob Mcracken was telling him to do in the first fight. Will stop Ruiz from just wondering in looking or left hook right hand combos. Looks like Ruiz is going heavy for the early onslaught and KO. I really don't think Ruiz is this amazing fighter, he's good but he's got weaknesses.

Offline cornishscouser92

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61277 on: December 6, 2019, 07:57:02 pm »
Sorry if already asked. What time do we expect the main event tomorrow ?

8.45pm UK time is ring walks
9pm UK time first bell

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61278 on: December 6, 2019, 08:12:07 pm »
8.45pm UK time is ring walks
9pm UK time first bell

Thanks.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #61279 on: December 6, 2019, 09:00:32 pm »
I love boxing but am a bit unnerved with a fight like this being held in such an abhorrent country.

Thankfully the rematch is in Saudi a country in which Ruiz Jr and his countrymen aren't branded as rapists by the President.

Seriously though, this is a great fight. A complete clash of styles and body shapes. The interesting bit for me though is the experience of both fighters. Even though they are both 30 their boxing experience is very different. AJ didn't box as a kid, had half as many amateur bouts and has had far less pro bouts.

Add in AJ basically staying within the same training environment and it may be a case of nurture overcoming nature.
"Ohhh-kayyy"