Author Topic: 2017 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 211519 times)

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #2840 on: September 19, 2017, 07:48:45 am »
Vettel does turn in, and ultimately that causes the accident.

But Max is quite a way back and so he probably misjudges it and thinks there is room...

Max does nothing wrong at all, he goes in an almost straight line....

Kimi turns in on Max, but to a lesser extent compared to Vettle...   

A bit unlucky all round to be honest..

No, he doesn't mate.  It may look that way at full speed, but when you watch the incident in slow-mo you can see that his car doesn't begin to turn in until after contact.  You can clearly see when watching the incident at .025 speed that his left front stays parallel to the wall prior to contact.   

I agree that Kimi and Max were unlucky.  I think that Seb has only himself to blame though for what was a completely unnecessary move.  Anyhow, onward and upwards..

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2841 on: September 19, 2017, 11:40:59 am »
Theres 6 races left, this championship is no where near over, especially with some favourable Ferrari tracks on the way.

One mechanical issue and its back even.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2842 on: September 19, 2017, 12:51:13 pm »
especially with some favourable Ferrari tracks on the way.

Not sure about that. I'd say most of them favour Mercedes. The likes of Abu Dhabi and Malaysia both with 2 massive long straights each is Mercedes territory.

Add to that Mercedes are in a better position engine penalty wise than Ferrari.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2843 on: September 19, 2017, 01:24:47 pm »
Not sure about that. I'd say most of them favour Mercedes. The likes of Abu Dhabi and Malaysia both with 2 massive long straights each is Mercedes territory.

I thought Mercedes have used an extra engine compared to Ferrari?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2844 on: September 19, 2017, 01:28:13 pm »
I thought Mercedes have used an extra engine compared to Ferrari?

Yep. Which is why they have a 'fresher' engine over Ferrari. Merc have already taken their penalty and are still leading.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2845 on: September 19, 2017, 01:38:24 pm »
Yep. Which is why they have a 'fresher' engine over Ferrari. Merc have already taken their penalty and are still leading.
But Mercedes only have one power unit left and Ferrari have two? So they're going to have fresher engines until the end of the season, or have I got that wrong?
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2846 on: September 19, 2017, 02:00:07 pm »
Theres 6 races left, this championship is no where near over, especially with some favourable Ferrari tracks on the way.

It's definitely over In my eyes

Don't get me wrong I don't see Mercedes steamrolling like monza and Silverstone but I just don't think the upcoming tracks have enough to suit the ferrari's. Maybe the odd sector or two .

Saying that though it's not all about long straights. Look at spa and socchi, they have long straights but it was a close thing

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2847 on: September 19, 2017, 05:12:51 pm »

I think its only those two really, and as Spa showed its not even that much of an advantage anymore.

Japan, Brazil, Mexico maybe probably favour the Ferrari, and US could be either but Hamilton likes it there.

As for the engines, Merc have taken one more than Ferrari, but it was a strategic move because the FIA said any engines that were used before the Italian GP could run at the higher oil burn rate, which gave them a power boost, and any after had to run a new, leaner rate. So while it looks like Merc have used more engines, they're actually on par, and their 4th is more powerful than Ferrari's 4th will be. Ferrari missed a bit of a trick with it.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2848 on: September 19, 2017, 06:11:52 pm »

The trouble is though that the Mercedes is looking pretty much bulletproof in terms of reliability.  Couple that with the fact that Hamilton has matured into a driver who makes very few critical errors and...well, whilst the championship fight isn't definitively over it's certainly stacked heavily in favour of Hamilton at this point.  I think that going forward Seb's chances are pretty slim now.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2849 on: September 19, 2017, 07:17:01 pm »
Anyone watch the Guy Martin Pit stop show?

Didn't know Williams have the records.

1.89 sec pit stop
15 out of 20 races last season they had the fastest pit stops.

Very impressive

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #2850 on: September 19, 2017, 10:36:27 pm »

1.89 sec pit stop

Very impressive

I watched it Sunday, was really impressed with the stack stop as well.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2851 on: September 20, 2017, 09:10:50 am »

1.89 sec pit stop

Very impressive
car looks like it barely stops they are so fast
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2852 on: September 21, 2017, 10:38:02 am »
rumour this morning Michael Schumacher maybe transferred to America to continue his recuperation. he owns a ranch in Dallas (wonder is it Southfork?)

anyway nothing really given away as ever about his current condition.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2853 on: September 21, 2017, 04:26:01 pm »
rumour this morning Michael Schumacher maybe transferred to America to continue his recuperation. he owns a ranch in Dallas (wonder is it Southfork?)

anyway nothing really given away as ever about his current condition.

Been pretty much denied by official sources. Though he's less likely to be spotted in public and American medical services for head injuries are supposed to be the best in the world (if you've got the money).

Wouldn't even want to speculate on his current health or prognosis.

Too many people saying too many different things. I've heard it all from he's recovered and enjoying life hidden away to he died that day skiing and his family are covering it up to prevent mourning. Both stupid theories

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2854 on: September 21, 2017, 04:32:34 pm »

Too many people saying too many different things. I've heard it all from he's recovered and enjoying life hidden away to he died that day skiing and his family are covering it up to prevent mourning. Both stupid theories
did he meet elvis and bob marley for a pint?

wouldnt believe either

family have kept it closely guarded. i would like to know how he is but family dont have to tell anyone anything if they dont want to

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2855 on: September 21, 2017, 04:38:03 pm »
did he meet elvis and bob marley for a pint?

wouldnt believe either

family have kept it closely guarded. i would like to know how he is but family dont have to tell anyone anything if they dont want to

Yeah I'm more of the opinion that he is severely brain damaged with no chance of a full recovery but with limited movement and communication. If that's the case then I'm happy with the families decision.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2856 on: September 21, 2017, 04:47:56 pm »
Yeah I'm more of the opinion that he is severely brain damaged with no chance of a full recovery but with limited movement and communication. If that's the case then I'm happy with the families decision.
id love to see him just show up in public looking fit and healthy

Offline scouse92

• Main Stander
« Reply #2857 on: September 25, 2017, 11:00:28 am »
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/9/f1-aston-martin-red-bull-title-sponsor-2018.html

Red Bull will race as Aston Martin Red Bull Racing from the 2018 season after agreeing a new title and innovation partnership with the iconic car manufacturer.

The technical partnership will also see a new Advanced Performance Centre being established at Red Bull Racing’s campus later this year, enabling a closer working relationship between the two parties on both F1 and road car technology. The centre is expected to create 110 new jobs, as well as housing Aston Martin’s design and engineering personnel responsible for future sports cars from the two companies.

Aston Martin president and CEO Andy Palmer said his company could look to get further involved in F1 as an engine manufacturer, should conditions be right.

"Title partnership is the next logical step for our Innovation Partnership with Red Bull Racing," Palmer explained.

"We are enjoying the global brand awareness that a revitalised Formula One provides. The power unit discussions (in Formula One) are of interest to us, but only if the circumstances are right. We are not about to enter an engine war with no restrictions in cost or dynamometer hours but we believe that if the FIA can create the right environment we would be interested in getting involved."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner hailed the strengthened partnership, adding: "Our Innovation Partnership with Aston Martin has been a pioneering project from day one. Having conceived and created the remarkably successful Aston Martin Valkyrie together in 2016, we extended our relationship this year and are now delighted to further strengthen the partnership and see the team competing as Aston Martin Red Bull Racing in 2018.

"In addition, more than 100 Aston Martin staff will service the new Advanced Performance Centre on our campus here in Milton Keynes and it will allow us to collaborate further with Aston Martin on special, equally innovative, new projects."

The relationship between Aston Martin and Red Bull began in 2016 after the two companies combined to produce the ground-breaking Aston Martin Valkyrie, which is set to make its first run in 2018 before being delivered to customers the following year.

As a result of the new announcement, Aston Martin branding will feature 'prominently across the Aston Martin Red Bull Racing team from the start of the 2018 season'.

Interested to see how this plays out.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2858 on: September 25, 2017, 11:34:17 am »
Nice to see Aston Martin in F1. Their green livery would be nice to see on an F1 car

But no power unit development which points to Renault until the next power unit rule changes (2021 I think?)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2859 on: September 25, 2017, 11:41:02 am »
No point in AM developing any engines until the new rules are finalised, would just be throwing money away.

This keeps their foot in the door, a little more, and if the new engine rules are favourable then I could see them taking a part ownership of the team.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2860 on: September 25, 2017, 01:10:27 pm »
Nice to see Aston Martin in F1. Their green livery would be nice to see on an F1 car

But no power unit development which points to Renault until the next power unit rule changes (2021 I think?)

Renault have already decided not to provide Red Bull with engines after next season

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2861 on: September 25, 2017, 09:57:15 pm »
Sainz may drive for Renault at Malaysia.

He has been to their factory for seat fittings etc...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2862 on: September 26, 2017, 09:01:46 am »
Renault have already decided not to provide Red Bull with engines after next season

Sorry should have said Honda

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2863 on: September 26, 2017, 12:04:21 pm »
PIERRE GASLY TO DRIVE WITH SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO

Daniil Kvyat dropped

http://www.scuderiatororosso.com/en_INT/article/pierre-gasly-drive-scuderia-toro-rosso

Guy cannot get a break

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2864 on: September 26, 2017, 12:09:44 pm »

Daniil Kvyat dropped

http://www.scuderiatororosso.com/en_INT/article/pierre-gasly-drive-scuderia-toro-rosso

Guy cannot get a break

Was Gasly already with TR this season? Tested for them? Don't follow racing outside of F1.

Can't really blame TR, Kvyat has had enough chances. His last action sort of epitomised his career though. Just after doing something well, showing a bit of pace, he seemed to get overexcited and lost his concentration long enough in the wet to hit the barrier

Palmer Kvyat and the Scandi (is it Ericson, I get mixed up) seemed like the stand out contenders to be dropped this season, and they haven't really shown enough (or anything in some cases) to prevent that.

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2865 on: September 26, 2017, 12:12:26 pm »

Daniil Kvyat dropped

Guy cannot get a break
Don't know about that,he's looked out of his depth every time I've seen him.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2866 on: September 26, 2017, 12:13:50 pm »
Not sure Kvyat is someone you could really say has been unlucky, seems to make far more mistakes than most other drivers.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2867 on: September 26, 2017, 12:25:35 pm »
I think he's had chances but you need to give the guy the full season. To drop down from RB to TR last season and now TR to nothing this season.

This is another issue with no proper in-season testing.

Offline kaliberbeats

• Main Stander
« Reply #2868 on: September 26, 2017, 04:52:09 pm »
Decent driver but I don't think he's ready for F1 just yet. IMO his decision making on the track lacks maturity. He got his seat mainly because of the amount of sponsorship money he brings with him.
I am the bodgers of Fantasy Football

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2869 on: September 26, 2017, 05:08:47 pm »
Was Gasly already with TR this season? Tested for them? Don't follow racing outside of F1.

Can't really blame TR, Kvyat has had enough chances. His last action sort of epitomised his career though. Just after doing something well, showing a bit of pace, he seemed to get overexcited and lost his concentration long enough in the wet to hit the barrier

Palmer Kvyat and the Scandi (is it Ericson, I get mixed up) seemed like the stand out contenders to be dropped this season, and they haven't really shown enough (or anything in some cases) to prevent that.

He's been part of Red Bull's young driver program for 3 or 4 years, and is Red Bull's designated reserve driver.

He won the GP2 title last year, and is currently driving in the Super Formula Championship which is like a Japanese GP2, think hes a point off the lead so wont race in the US with Torro Rosso because it clashes with the final race, so it'll be a 2 race test for him I imagine, maybe Kvyat finishes the season.

I reckon Kvyat will still be there next season, simply because I dont think they really have any other options, but this is a good way to test Gasly in the meantime. But yeah, hes just not shown enough this season for me to feel bad about it. F1 is cutthroat, and Red Bull seem the most cutthroat of the teams going.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2870 on: September 27, 2017, 12:36:31 pm »

Daniil Kvyat dropped

Guy cannot get a break
can't get a break??? He's shit

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2871 on: September 29, 2017, 08:51:58 am »
Only Friday and all that but the Mercedes looks horrific. Easily the worst it has looked in practice this year when you consider that this isn't supposed to be a circuit of issue.

Christ, the Mclaren is faster.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:53:41 am by b_joseph »

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2872 on: September 29, 2017, 09:54:49 am »
Only Friday and all that but the Mercedes looks horrific. Easily the worst it has looked in practice this year when you consider that this isn't supposed to be a circuit of issue.

Christ, the Mclaren is faster.

Just shows anything can happen.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2873 on: September 29, 2017, 09:56:54 am »
they were quite a way back alright

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2874 on: September 29, 2017, 10:06:34 am »
Yet come qualifying and race they'll most likely dominate.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2875 on: September 29, 2017, 10:15:06 am »
Bad crash for Grosjean there after going over a broken drain cover.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2876 on: September 29, 2017, 10:26:27 am »
Yet come qualifying and race they'll most likely dominate.
fp3 should be a decent indicator

think there was a race recently enough though where ferrari were on the money all through fp1,2, and 3 then hamilton gets pole

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2877 on: September 29, 2017, 11:47:40 am »
fp3 should be a decent indicator

think there was a race recently enough though where ferrari were on the money all through fp1,2, and 3 then hamilton gets pole

I'm fully expecting Hamilton on pole or second, and by the end of lap 1 be out in front.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2878 on: September 29, 2017, 03:32:03 pm »
Bad crash for Grosjean there after going over a broken drain cover.

https://streamable.com/isvbt

He's lucky he walked away from it, the race organizers have a lot to answer for.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2879 on: September 29, 2017, 03:35:21 pm »
It could have flicked up and hit a car/driver behind too, pretty shocking to be honest.