Author Topic: MLS Thread  (Read 80872 times)

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: MLS Thread
« Reply #280 on: September 18, 2017, 03:57:28 pm »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: September 21, 2017, 11:57:24 am »
Thrashed the Galaxy 4-0 last night.

Playoffs here we come.  Still holding on to the hope of Atlanta nicking that second spot from NYC come the end of the regular season

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #282 on: September 21, 2017, 01:42:53 pm »
Thrashed the Galaxy 4-0 last night.

Playoffs here we come.  Still holding on to the hope of Atlanta nicking that second spot from NYC come the end of the regular season

Almiron's goal to finish things off was so class, cheeky dink over the keeper after a ridiculous explosion of pace.

Think NYC are playing too well to be caught, but the Fire are struggling a bit. Might be possible to slip into third before the play-offs...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: September 21, 2017, 02:34:28 pm »
Think NYC are playing too well to be caught, but the Fire are struggling a bit. Might be possible to slip into third before the play-offs...

Third is easily doable. Atlanta are 2 points behind Fire with a game in hand.

Failing finishing in the top 2, I think they would really like to avoid NYRB in the conference playoff 1st rd.

NYRB currently in 6th but I think they will move up to 5th at least come the end of the season.

1st Conf playoff round is 3rd v 6th and 4th v 5th.

So I'd take Atlanta V Columbus in the first round then a semi against NYC. Then beating Toronto in the conf final. :)

Actually it's Columbus V NYRB at the weekend. That could be 5th and 6th decided right there!!

As for Western Conf?  No idea.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #284 on: September 21, 2017, 05:05:24 pm »
Rodderzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz appears to have been right about Vancouver.

They play very crap, direct, typical "physical" MLS stuff under Carl Robsinson, but it's very effective, especially during play-offs at the end of a long season...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: September 23, 2017, 10:54:26 pm »
oooh NYC slip up at home and drop a couple of points.

Massive game tomorrow night for Atlanta at home to Montreal. Can get within 3 points of NYC with a game in hand.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2017, 01:06:03 am »
oooh NYC slip up at home and drop a couple of points.

Massive game tomorrow night for Atlanta at home to Montreal. Can get within 3 points of NYC with a game in hand.

Qualified for the play-offs tonight, 2-0 over Montreal...

Unreal run they're/we're on in the new digs

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: September 25, 2017, 01:13:20 am »
Qualified for the play-offs tonight, 2-0 over Montreal...

Unreal run they're/we're on in the new digs

Told ye that 2nd place is doable mate

2nd place is in Atlanta's hands now :)

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2017, 05:01:23 am »
Atlanta V Vancouver will be the MLS Cup final I reckon.

Vancouver have a c*nt of an end to the season, we play Seattle away on Wednesday, then Kansas Away next weekend, then NYRB away week after. Then San Jose at home before finishing the season at Portland away.

I've booked all the playoff dates off anyway now just need to book the travel when we know our games! Off to Seattle away on Wednesday and wll be in Portland for the last game of the season

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2017, 11:56:14 am »
Atlanta V Vancouver will be the MLS Cup final I reckon.

Vancouver have a c*nt of an end to the season, we play Seattle away on Wednesday, then Kansas Away next weekend, then NYRB away week after. Then San Jose at home before finishing the season at Portland away.

I've booked all the playoff dates off anyway now just need to book the travel when we know our games! Off to Seattle away on Wednesday and wll be in Portland for the last game of the season

That is a ridiculously difficult series of matches, San Jose at home will be no problem, but all four of the others might be possible dropped points. And because KC and Seattle are so close in the table, still all to play for out west...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: September 25, 2017, 12:45:58 pm »
That is a ridiculously difficult series of matches, San Jose at home will be no problem, but all four of the others might be possible dropped points. And because KC and Seattle are so close in the table, still all to play for out west...

Yeah there's a shit-storm brewing in that Western conference that's for sure.

Another brace for Valeri last night I see. Portland are the team to watch in that conf IMO.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #291 on: September 25, 2017, 02:42:04 pm »
Yeah there's a shit-storm brewing in that Western conference that's for sure.

Another brace for Valeri last night I see. Portland are the team to watch in that conf IMO.

Caleb Porter is a bit of a prick, but he tries to get his sides to play good football, always fun to watch...

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #292 on: September 27, 2017, 02:44:13 am »
Bunch of expat reds who live in vancouver will be down in Seattle tomorrow watching the whitecaps. If we can win that one I think we'll finish top 2

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: September 27, 2017, 11:34:38 pm »
Good Luck to your boys later Rodderzzz

Can't believe how much I've gotten into MLS and especially Atlanta. Ok I've got money riding on them but I genuinely want them to do well regardless

Really hoping Montreal can get something out of NYC tonight. I'd take a draw all day long providing the 5 Stripes can dispatch of Philly.  Philadelphia not won away since May so fingers crossed.

:)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: September 28, 2017, 08:16:51 pm »
There no uk highlights for this? Seems most of the stuff i find you need to be in the usa

Offline NHRed

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #295 on: September 28, 2017, 08:31:36 pm »
There no uk highlights for this? Seems most of the stuff i find you need to be in the usa

Have you tried the league's site itself? mlssoccer.com  (yes that's 2 "s" in there and it expands to "Major League Soccer soccer dot com" which is f'ing stupid)

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: September 28, 2017, 10:21:04 pm »
Yeah always seems a chore on there as it says cannot be shown in your country. They seem to like making it as difficult as possible for people to follow it. Used to have the app on my ipad for the highlights before they restricted the content by country

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: October 4, 2017, 10:40:33 am »
Just seen the Atlanata result from last night. FFS, incredible :no

Down to 10 men and winning 2-1

Concede 2 injury time goals and lose 2-3 to fucking bottom feeders Minnesota.

That's a massive blow to their 2nd place finish hopes.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #298 on: October 4, 2017, 12:03:24 pm »

Caleb Porter is a bit of a prick, but he tries to get his sides to play good football, always fun to watch...

Bizarre sentiment.

If you believe the statisticians we are guaranteed a playoff berth now.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #299 on: October 4, 2017, 01:24:41 pm »
Bizarre sentiment.

If you believe the statisticians we are guaranteed a playoff berth now.

He admits as much himself in some of the interviews he's given. You're free to classify the statement as bizarre sentiment, I just don't really agree.

Being a bit of a prick can also be a helpful character trait as a manager.

His interview about how he had regarded football before failing to qualify for the Olympics is instructive... I'll see if I can find it, although if you follow Portland you've doubtless already read it...

Just for the record, I'd like to see Porter running our National Team. A bit of a prick is not a bad thing. Bruce is a huge one...

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #300 on: October 15, 2017, 11:51:40 pm »
Atlanta spunking an absolutely glorious opportunity to go 2nd here.

So frustrating.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: October 16, 2017, 06:47:56 pm »
Amazing the amount of people over there who believe pro/rel won't benefit the sport in the US.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/76pv4z/silva_promotion_and_relegation_system_could/
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: October 16, 2017, 08:03:59 pm »
Amazing the amount of people over there who believe pro/rel won't benefit the sport in the US.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/76pv4z/silva_promotion_and_relegation_system_could/

The general sentiment is that pro/rel has a huge barrier considering the current league structure and ownership.  MLS has focused on expansion and introducing pro/rel isn’t going to attract investors.

I think people believe that pro/rel would help the sport (not all problems are solved), but the current set-up is not conducive to introducing the concept.

Ultimately, MLS and NCAA have different objectives than those that advocate for the improvement of the sport.
King Kenny.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #303 on: October 16, 2017, 08:05:32 pm »
Are there enough teams to even support the pro/rel structure?

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 16, 2017, 09:04:11 pm »
Are there enough teams to even support the pro/rel structure?
There are a lot of teams in the lower divisions like the NASL (though that is currently struggling), USL, NPSL, NISA, etc.

Most of the owners there though don't want to invest in proper infrastructure without pro/rel, as it doesn't make sense to buy a tier 2 team, spend the same amount of money on operating costs as a tier 1 team but still never having the chance to go to tier 1.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #305 on: October 16, 2017, 09:04:44 pm »
There are a lot of teams in the lower divisions like the NASL (though that is currently struggling), USL, NPSL, NISA, etc.

Most of the owners there though don't want to invest in proper infrastructure without pro/rel, as it doesn't make sense to buy a tier 2 team, spend the same amount of money on operating costs as a tier 1 team but still never having the chance to go to tier 1.

Fair enough. I know next to nothing about soccer in the US.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #306 on: October 17, 2017, 07:09:12 pm »
Perfectly aware that the following is not strictly MLS related, but there is no thread for the US  National Team and...

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/3232018/sam-allardyce-interested-in-taking-united-states-job-sources

We don't really drink wine out of pint glasses.

But then neither do we play creative, modern football...

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #307 on: October 18, 2017, 06:11:32 am »

sam-allardyce-interested-in-taking-united-states-job

That would be a horrible decision.

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #308 on: October 18, 2017, 07:38:47 pm »
Atlanta spunking an absolutely glorious opportunity to go 2nd here.

So frustrating.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaUZF53h0QZ/

Problem might be solved... ;)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: October 23, 2017, 12:28:32 pm »
SO...Atlanta yet again spunk their chance of 2nd place by conceding in the 84th minute.  A winnable tie against Columbus in the playoffs to come now but who knows.

Reckon Roderzzz will be mightly pissed off this morning as Vancouver also managed to throw away a top 2 spot.  They have San Jose in the playoffs which is quite winnable though.

So here is the Playoff lineups and schedule.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #310 on: October 23, 2017, 02:38:44 pm »
Fuck Me did we ever blow it! Just got back from Portland, it was actually a good trip despite the result. Happened to stay in the same hotel as the team so was having a beer with Robbo on Saturday night.

fancy us to do San Jose on Wed, then it'd be back to Seattle. The west teams are so tight its hard to say who'll get out of it

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2017, 03:13:14 pm »
Simple for The fire beat the two New York teams and your in eastern finals with Toronto probably.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:52:57 pm by LFC_1981 »

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: October 23, 2017, 03:46:28 pm »
Simple for Thr fire best the two New York teams and your in eastern finals with Toronto Atlanta probably.

Changed that for you mate :)

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #313 on: October 23, 2017, 08:50:33 pm »
So here is the Playoff lineups and schedule.

The Thorns lifted the silverware this month. Time for the men's squad to follow suit.

Offline LFC_1981

• Legacy Fan
  • The Glory round Anfield Road!
« Reply #314 on: October 23, 2017, 09:55:41 pm »
Changed that for you mate :)

Could’ve magically fixed my spelling, just noticed.

Actually I can’t wait until we get the Toronto/Atlanta eastern semi.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #315 on: October 24, 2017, 03:53:49 pm »
Could’ve magically fixed my spelling, just noticed.

Actually I can’t wait until we get the Toronto/Atlanta eastern semi.

The recklessness of Atlanta I can see them fucking up against Columbus. Although at home surely they have a bloody good chance.

The Fire first up tomorrow night I see. Hope they dispatch of NYRB. I really do.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
« Reply #316 on: October 24, 2017, 06:25:00 pm »
MLS higher ups have showed their amateurishness once more. They forgot to check if the Seahawks were playing on Nov 5th before telling the world thats when the second leg semi final would be. So the winner of Vancouver/San Jose will now travel to Seattle on Nov 2

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: October 26, 2017, 02:26:38 am »
Playoffs have started.

So far NY Red Bulls are leading Chicago Fire 2-0 in Chicago.

In about an hour, Vancouver Whitecaps will host San Jose Earthquakes.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: October 26, 2017, 03:32:38 am »
Finished 4-0 for NY Red Bulls.

They play Toronto FC in the Eastern conference semi finals.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: October 26, 2017, 10:47:18 am »
wow didn't expect Fire to get such a thumping.

Atlanta v Crew tonight at midnight (UK). Live on SKY cant wait :)