Author Topic: AFL thread: games, results, discussion  (Read 442128 times)

Offline Metallinick

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: AFL thread: games, results, discussion
« Reply #6320 on: October 2, 2017, 06:14:45 am »
A photo of a girl wearing a 2017 premiership medal and not much else is doing the rounds on social media. Nice to see the players are sharing the win with their partners!
Shouldn't be too hard to find and I'm definitely not posting it here.....but will take PM requests...
« Last Edit: October 2, 2017, 06:27:18 am by Metallinick »

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6321 on: March 21, 2018, 02:50:50 am »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 AFL Season starts tomorrow.

Odds for the Premiership.

Sydney    $5.50
Adelaide   $6.50
Richmond   $7
GWS Giants  $8
Geelong     $9
Port Adelaide   $9
Melbourne    $12
Essendon     $15
Western Bulldogs   $21
Hawthorn   $26
Collingwood   $34
St Kilda   $41
Fremantle   $51
West Coast   $51
Carlton   $151
Brisbane   $251
Gold Coast   $251
North Melbourne   $251

(Odds courtesy CrownBet)

I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6322 on: March 21, 2018, 02:52:56 am »
Gee, I'll be disappointed if Carlton is only the 15th best side this season. I think they're a chance (25% or thereabouts) to make the eight.

Offline RedmeisterOZ

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6323 on: March 21, 2018, 02:54:16 am »
No RAWK footy tipping has been set up. I have family issues to deal with at the moment, so if you want to set one up in ESPN footy tipping go ahead. :wave
I'll tell you one thing for sure... I wouldn't trust no words written down on no piece of paper, especially from no Dickenson out in the town of Machine.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6324 on: March 21, 2018, 05:21:48 am »
Giants at $8 I like. Doggies at $21 as well.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6325 on: March 23, 2018, 07:45:43 pm »
Gerrin you Red and Blacks!
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6326 on: October 28, 2018, 08:58:49 pm »
Horrible news, RIP.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #6327 on: September 14, 2019, 12:45:05 am »
Ive fallen out of love with the game

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6328 on: September 14, 2019, 09:03:46 am »
I'm still into it. The rules are completely stuffed these days, with umpires being set up to fail by the current holding-the-ball and deliberate OOB rules, but an AFL game in full flow is still great entertainment. Plus, Carlton looks like becoming good again, so I need some ROI for the last 20 years.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6329 on: August 8, 2020, 04:26:23 pm »
https://www.reddit.com/r/AFL/comments/i5wnf8/dimma_has_words_for_caddy_lipreading_degree_not/

“Josh get out of the fucking way ya dumb c*nt!”

Also, nothing like Essendon pulling defeat from the jaws of victory...
My Twitter

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6330 on: August 10, 2020, 01:24:15 pm »
If anyone's interested, The Australian Dream documentary is on iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000lpv7/the-australian-dream
My Twitter

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6331 on: August 16, 2020, 04:52:41 am »
NEWNES

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6332 on: August 16, 2020, 05:02:11 pm »
Aaand Essendon showing why they're distinctly shite when they want.
My Twitter

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6333 on: March 25, 2022, 11:41:20 am »
Lance Franklin goal 1000

https://streamable.com/hkxu0h
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6334 on: March 25, 2022, 10:14:18 pm »
Lance Franklin goal 1000

I was at the game and it was epic. Think it ended up being the longest final quarter in AFL. Went for about an hour as it took ages to clear the field to get the final 5 mins played.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Jack_Bauer

• Kopite
« Reply #6335 on: March 25, 2022, 11:11:43 pm »
I was at the game and it was epic. Think it ended up being the longest final quarter in AFL. Went for about an hour as it took ages to clear the field to get the final 5 mins played.
Was this the first crowd swarm since he kicked his 100th goal back in the 2008 season because that was the last time I remember it happened.

Anyway here is an insanely long 3.5 hour video of the first 995 Goals scored by Buddy Franklin prior to last nights game

https://www.afl.com.au/news/722055/he-s-buddy-done-it-lance-franklin-hits-1000-goal-milestone

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6336 on: July 31, 2023, 01:42:45 pm »
Lance Franklin goal 1000

Sadly announced his retirement with immediate effect due to a calf injury. Such an amazing addition to an traditionally non-AFL city in Sydney. We now have 62k members due to the focus he brought to the sport.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6338 on: March 7, 2024, 10:13:50 am »
Season's begun!  And with these weird staggered Opening Round/Round 1 thing!
My Twitter

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6339 on: March 7, 2024, 12:21:56 pm »
Shit game first up. Gotta open at the MCG from now on.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6340 on: March 8, 2024, 10:08:46 am »
Yeah, and as much as I know interstate teams will bitch and moan, it just feels right to do so.

Has there been any more on the Tassie licence yet?  I know it's not due to enter for a few more years but know there were holdups because of the stadium in Hobart.

My Twitter

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6341 on: March 8, 2024, 10:31:18 pm »
Dunno, I assumed everything was on track but haven't followed the story. Main concern is that my team Carlton maximises its current peak before another expansion club dilutes the talent pool.

Speaking of maximising, what an effort to come back from 46 and win at a ground where the home team enjoyed a 100% record in 2023! Second biggest comeback in club history. Thanks to my kids I missed the 3rd quarter when most of the good stuff happened, so I'm eagerly awaiting the replay.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6342 on: March 8, 2024, 10:57:29 pm »
It was a brilliant comeback to be fair, I caught some of it (when I was meant to be working  :-X) and the Lions were firmly in charge.  Still, I think your mob are in with a top two shout anyway.  My lot (Essendon) are going to be mid-tabling it. Again.

If you're ever in need of downloading a few games I can get you an aussierul.es invite if needed, it's pretty much my lifeline for catching any Bombers games.
My Twitter

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6343 on: March 8, 2024, 11:20:52 pm »
Shit game first up. Gotta open at the MCG from now on.

You kidding me? Two sell-out crowds in states where AFL is literally killing off the other codes. The Swans v Demons match was a tight contest until the Swans kicked on while the Carlton v Lions match will go down in history.

I went to the Swans match (season ticket holder) and to get 40k on a Thursday night is a massive achievement in Sydney.

The Grand Final is and always will be @ the MCG. For the sport to kick-on (no pun intended) it needs to get in with the non-traditional areas from the get-go.

The NRL (rugby league) went to Vegas with the objective of drawing in a US audience and failed dismally. For a double header they brought in 40k fans (14k flew from Australia) into a 61k stadium. To make it worse they only pulled a TV/Cable viewership 60k for the opening match and 44k for the second.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6344 on: March 9, 2024, 01:49:39 am »
I get the reasons, and I'm not saying the SCG crowd figures were bad - they were fine - just saying it was a poor game of footy, low skills and at least on TV it didn't really feel very atmospheric compared to 80-90k watching Carlton and Richmond. The footy at Brisbane was far better - no criticism of the match from me, obviously, and the standard was quite high, but even then the home crowd was quite flat even when their team was smashing it (maybe they thought it would be a stroll and were just chilling out) and most of the atmosphere came from the away contingent.

Anyway, hoping this round zero nonsense that throws the ladder and fixture and relative team fitness levels into chaos right from the start is a one-off... by all means tweak the draw so finals rematches happen in NSW/Qld in the first fortnight, but keep the big occasions intact and have no byes until mid season, please.

Glad to hear the American experiment failed. I've not been following it, but I would be livid if Carlton got shipped off to China for our season opener. As if it wasn't bad enough Liverpool getting fucked off around the planet every summer. At least with LFC the foreign crowds actually care!
« Last Edit: March 9, 2024, 01:53:16 am by GreatEx »

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6345 on: March 9, 2024, 07:44:24 pm »
Massively cruel on Sam Docherty, poor bastard can't catch a break.  Wonder if that's him done?
My Twitter

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6346 on: March 10, 2024, 03:53:45 am »
He's under contract for 2025 so I fully expect him to give it a crack if he can still walk after 3 ACLs, and provided the cancer doesn't return (what a sentence to write! ).

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6347 on: March 11, 2024, 10:32:23 am »
Going to start following AFL now as I can't be arsed with seeing the cheating that goes on in the Premier League. The corrupt, incompetent and biased officiating has turned me off and yesterday was the final nail in the coffin. So I'll give Aussie Rules ago.

I'm going in as a newbie with no affiliations to any team. So I had a look at the table last night and took a glance at all the team flags. My eyes hooked onto West Coast Eagles only because their colours are similar to my home county. I also live on the West Coast of Ireland. So I figured why not? I don't know anything about them. A quick look on google tells me that they are not very good.

Now I'm wondering if I will last the distance if they keep getting beat. So can any of you fans and supporters of AFL suggest to me about who to follow as I'm going in fresh. Obviously I don't want to just follow the best team. I want there to be some hope of competing. Not the top and not the bottom.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #6348 on: March 11, 2024, 10:41:01 am »
Going to start following AFL now as I can't be arsed with seeing the cheating that goes on in the Premier League. The corrupt, incompetent and biased officiating has turned me off and yesterday was the final nail in the coffin. So I'll give Aussie Rules ago.

I'm going in as a newbie with no affiliations to any team. So I had a look at the table last night and took a glance at all the team flags. My eyes hooked onto West Coast Eagles only because their colours are similar to my home county. I also live on the West Coast of Ireland. So I figured why not? I don't know anything about them. A quick look on google tells me that they are not very good.

Now I'm wondering if I will last the distance if they keep getting beat. So can any of you fans and supporters of AFL suggest to me about who to follow as I'm going in fresh. Obviously I don't want to just follow the best team. I want there to be some hope of competing. Not the top and not the bottom.

After the performance the other day, I’d be going for the Giants.

I’ve been here 20 years, I picked St Kilda on a whim. I’ve a sneaky suspicion they might do well this year.
We are Liverpool!

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6349 on: March 11, 2024, 09:47:57 pm »
West Coast will come good soon enough. Huge supporter base, the bigger of just two clubs in the western half of the country (and this is 100% Aussie Rules territory- Qld and NSW are the rugby states). They've been strong for almost all of their 37 year existence, and teams go through cycles like they do in US sport due to draft and no relegation. In fact, if you perform poorly enough for long enough - and favoured by the establishment - they'll give you extra draft picks to boost your recovery. So getting in on a side on the ground floor is not a bad idea.

GWS is very exciting right now and are a "special interest" project of the AFL, so they'll never be allowed to fail. But they have very little following because Sydney Swans captured the local market 40 years ago. So you'd be getting a bit of Man City plasticity, minus cheating.

St Kilda are a perennial failureclub with one title in 127 years (remember: no relegation! And the league started with 8 teams, and still only had 12 teams in the 1980s). Nothing wrong with underdog sympathy, but be warned.

Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond are the traditional powerhouses. Collingwood are never down for long, they seem to be Born to Runner-up but they have won enough flags (titles) to join Carlton and Essendon at the top of the pile (16 each). Richmond recently won three in a row but they're on the downward edge now so you'd be waiting a while for more good times. Carlton are looking good again after 20 horrible years. Last title in 1995 - as a Liverpool and Carlton fan I feel the parallels. Essendon have been mediocre-to-shit for over a decade now. If you choose them you'll be mocked as a drug cheat... mostly by me. :D

Geelong have been very well run for a long time, and benefit from being 1 hour from Melbourne and being the only Victorian club with exclusive use of its own stadium. You fucking suck if you choose Geelong, but if smug self satisfaction is your thing, go right ahead.

Adelaide clubs are worth consideration. Both have fanatical local support. Port Adelaide is more authentic, being derived from a historic club, the Crows are more of a modern creation, but the local rivalry is real and both clubs are usually competitive if not often premiership contenders.

Brisbane and Sydney are both strong clubs doing well in rugby territory, and won't be allowed to fail if they ever stop being well run. Do not bother with Gold Coast, they never got going and most people who don't work at AFL headquarters wonder why they even exist.

Hawthorn are usually very strong, currently shit. Long may it last (it probably won't). Melbourne, Western Bulldogs... eh. North Melbourne were always a nothing club to me, but the AFL are giving them extraordinary levels of draft assistance so I guess someone believes in them. Many thought they would relocate to Tasmania.

Speaking of which, Tasmania will have a club soon. I expect they will be right up there in a decade.

Oh, and Fremantle is the other team in Western Australia.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6350 on: March 11, 2024, 10:11:43 pm »

GWS is very exciting right now and are a "special interest" project of the AFL, so they'll never be allowed to fail. But they have very little following because Sydney Swans captured the local market 40 years ago. So you'd be getting a bit of Man City plasticity, minus cheating.

GWS are building their own fan base due to their location. It's bloody hard for someone in Western Sydney getting to and from the SCG with games on Thursday night. I use to hate the Swans playing at Homebush before they locked in the SCG as I either lived in the Eastern Suburbs or Inner West. They've got a very good squad and of course they're a pet project of the AFL to boost the game in NSW. Nothing like the steroids that Man City/Newcastle are on but definitely getting a push helps.

If I had a young family or was in my 20/30's and living out west I'd be a season ticket holder. Great family experience at the AFL and getting the likes of Brisbane Lions, Collingwood, Geelong playing at home is a sporting spectacle as long as your team is competitive.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6351 on: March 11, 2024, 10:19:10 pm »
Agreed that going to games at GWS is a very pleasant experience, especially with kids (haven't taken my own but took nieces and nephew when they were little). Lots of activities, freebies, kick-around on the field after the game, kick-around on the concourse... very much the suburban footy experience us old farts look back on wistfully. But for someone following from abroad, you miss all of that. Watching GWS home games on TV against big Victorian clubs, it's the away supporters making all the noise. Something's lacking.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6352 on: March 14, 2024, 07:14:58 am »
Season starts tonight everyone. Don’t know what the fuck that was last week.