Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 4 v 0 Southampton 2' 33' Jota, 37' Thiago, 52' Virgil  (Read 15901 times)

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
Re: PL: Liverpool 4 v 0 Southampton 2' 33' Jota, 37' Thiago, 52' Virgil
« Reply #200 on: November 27, 2021, 09:56:15 pm »
Nice little piece on the BBC about our high scoring rate this season, and the key role Jota plays:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59446914

Also has this great picture of Jota's goal, with Mo doing a WWE move in the background :D

I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: November 27, 2021, 09:57:14 pm »
Will bite us on the arse at some point though.

Yeah, that was very much Klopp's point.

I like that he's not satisfied with an easy win. No danger of us getting complacent. Won't allow the players to let the result go to their heads.

We've not hit anything like our top level yet this season. We're going to be fucking terrifying when we do.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: November 27, 2021, 10:07:14 pm »

Tremendous response to that West Ham performance. Yes, there’s still some defensive vulnerability but nothing like what we saw against Brighton and WHU. No coincidence that the improvements have come with our best midfield combination fit and available.

Great week and another big one to come. Two tough away games against bus parkers. Absolutely no room for another 0-0 against the bitters. Send them into the abyss and pile pressure on the cash dopers.

Would be great if we can get Naby and Curtis back in training as well as Bobby and Joe for the fixture pile up and AFCON.

Offline palimpsest

• Kopite
« Reply #203 on: November 27, 2021, 10:09:52 pm »
We are so fortunate to be watching this team. That is all.
We had dreams and songs to sing...

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2021, 10:27:26 pm »
We are so fortunate to be watching this team. That is all.
Our record in all competitions this season is P20 W15 D4 L1 F59 A16 GD+43. We've also scored in all 20 games, kept 12 clean sheets, and scored at least twice in each of the last 17 matches.

All of that despite several key players having missed games, plus Virgil, Matip, Gomez and Thiago having missed a lot of last season with serious injuries. It's all coming together nicely just as we approach the busy Christmas period.

59 goals scored before the end of November is insanely good, and we're arguably not even at our imperious best yet.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 10:34:36 pm by keyop »

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2021, 10:37:23 pm »
didnt think we were fantastic today but were very clinical.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: November 27, 2021, 10:43:29 pm »
Right, who was the fucking moron in the pre match thread moaning about Robertson starting over Tsmikas?  What a dumbass
You'll Never Walk Alone

Online 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #207 on: November 27, 2021, 10:45:42 pm »
Just think, if we hadn't dropped points against Brentford and Brighton, we would be 3 points clear of Chelsea at the top.

Shite.

or

Just think, if we'd have scored one more goal v Chelsea we'd be 2 points clear
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: November 27, 2021, 10:47:28 pm »
Great result. Had a brief bout of nerves when I saw the weather forecast but those nasty windy days tend to affect us more on the road (insert joke about home cooking).

Only trouble with beating Southampton is that when we score, half our team refuses to celebrate.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: November 27, 2021, 10:50:12 pm »
Right, who was the fucking moron in the pre match thread moaning about Robertson starting over Tsmikas?  What a dumbass
Is that you, Micah?

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: November 27, 2021, 10:51:51 pm »
Thought Southampton had the right idea early on - press high, hope that we make mistakes, and try to nick a goal.  They got some early chances, but we were clinical and got clear.  So easy in a 4-0 to overlook how important Allison is to the way we play - two 1v1 saves in the first half.  The guy is mint.

Bring on the derby. 

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Magz50

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 27, 2021, 10:54:32 pm »
Almost a perfect game. Robbo back to his best!

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: November 27, 2021, 11:10:37 pm »
so great to have Konate and be able to rest matip as much as possible.

i wonder what the future is for Gomez though.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 27, 2021, 11:14:16 pm »
Gomez and Koante are the future. Matip and Virj are in their 30's now. Konate and Gomez are 22 and 24.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #215 on: November 27, 2021, 11:14:39 pm »
Can I just say again that it’s a pleasure and a privilege to watch this team. So many great players performing at the top of their game.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: November 27, 2021, 11:15:00 pm »
That was a great watch. Second gear mainly but some fabulous football. Subs did very well too. Ali outstanding.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #217 on: November 27, 2021, 11:26:33 pm »
Our record in all competitions this season is P20 W15 D4 L1 F59 A16 GD+43. We've also scored in all 20 games, kept 12 clean sheets, and scored at least twice in each of the last 17 matches.

All of that despite several key players having missed games, plus Virgil, Matip, Gomez and Thiago having missed a lot of last season with serious injuries. It's all coming together nicely just as we approach the busy Christmas period.

59 goals scored before the end of November is insanely good, and we're arguably not even at our imperious best yet.
Our forwards alone, have scored more goals than any premier league team- COMBINED, except Chelsea. (Think we passed them now)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:30:11 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #218 on: November 27, 2021, 11:40:01 pm »
Great stuff. Alisson MOTM for me

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #219 on: November 28, 2021, 12:06:10 am »
Great win, heard on MOTD that Mane was the last Saints player to score a league goal at Anfield, great stat that. Not even at our best today but there was some nice attacking passages and we put them to the sword, even with the chance to score more. Jota's great goalscoring form continues and it was nice to see the big man score, feels like a long, long time since that happened.

Now to beat them c*nts on Wednesday ...
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #220 on: November 28, 2021, 12:24:46 am »
was a great result,
i think if southampton could actually score goals, their tactics should have led to a couple for them, we would have won, but not so clearly. The scoreline was a little flattering.
Trent wasnt great in my opinion, and the defence apart from Virgil was a little ropey.. Alisson was brilliant and shows just how critical that last line is..
That challenge on Mane was a red, and nasty, I think there was intent there..
Thiago staying fit can be the key as pointed out before on here.
All coming up to fit in the team...
its looking so promising now.
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2021, 12:25:37 am »

Yeah, I posted earlier that 538 had a composite score of 3.1-0.7.

Adjusted score: 4.2-0.0
Shot based xG: 2.7-1.4
Non shot xG: 2.4-0.7

If people only look at shot based xG then it appears a much closer game, but our overall performance was dominant.

Being 1.5xG better isn’t a close game.  Caley had it 2.6 to .8 and we’ll see what Statsbomb had tomorrow but I would expect it would confirm statistically we were as dominant as it looked on TV.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2021, 12:26:11 am »
Our forwards alone, have scored more goals than any premier league team- COMBINED, except Chelsea. (Think we passed them now)

Salah, Mane, Firmino and Jota have scored 29.  Origi has 1. So those five have scored the same as Chelsea and more than the rest of the league...
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #223 on: November 28, 2021, 12:29:05 am »
Yeah, that was very much Klopp's point.

I like that he's not satisfied with an easy win. No danger of us getting complacent. Won't allow the players to let the result go to their heads.

We've not hit anything like our top level yet this season. We're going to be fucking terrifying when we do.

im glad the boss said that, that performance was worrying in many ways/areas altho you love all positive shit you see as well - a better side and they'd bagged numerous times
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #224 on: November 28, 2021, 12:32:52 am »
Wow,
nothing in it so all told

or

I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: November 28, 2021, 01:05:58 am »
Great stuff. Alisson MOTM for me
This. Ali saved us early on.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 28, 2021, 01:53:45 am »
Today 95% of our attacks came through Robbo. TAA and Mo were very underused.
Was this a tactic?
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2021, 02:13:37 am »
10 goals scored and zero conceded the last three games.  Lovely stuff.  Hopefully chelsea drop points.  Was going to say city as well but they should slaughter west ham at home.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2021, 02:17:20 am »

Thought it was revealing that in his post match press conference today Jurgen stressed how he now feels he definitely made the wrong call last season in deploying Fab and Hendo as emergency centre backs and thereby undermined the team stability. Such an honest guy to admit he was wrong and he should in hindsight have trusted Nat and Rhys and kept Fab and Hendo as the steadying protective midfield screen. It was in answer to a question from Paul Joyce as to whether he viewed last season as a wasted season and he said no because he learnt so much from it including that priceless need for stability.

Personally though I think he’s being too self critical. I think he was in a no win situation. As you and I both stressed in our thread at the time we were so ravaged by injuries and other factors that no matter how he’d have juggled things we’d have still suffered. As it was, us somehow managing to procure third place was a bit of a fucking miracle given all the problems.

As you say right now in stark contrast to last season with the current injury situation seeming to be easing by the week we seem to be on the verge of being perfectly equipped to meet all the challenges to come, especially if he can also wangle retaining Mo and Sadio for the Leicester and Chelsea games just after Christmas.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2021, 02:47:51 am »
Today 95% of our attacks came through Robbo. TAA and Mo were very underused.
Was this a tactic?

i dont think mo was underused but with trent it was noticeable he wasn't bombing forward like usual but rather filling that half space to the right of the centre circle, in effect sitting somewhat in midfield, which gives you some more protection on that side (helping konata?) but is also employed for ball recycling/retention (pep uses it alot and gives the fullback license to bomb forward through the midfield on occasion to overload/extra man into the box - both there goals against us recently employed this tactic with walker) - he was looking for that cross field pass often to robbo - i haven't seen any heat maps etc but that's what i noticed from the eye test

this has been noticeable a number of times with trent this season, it appears to be a tweak to trent's roll (i've noticed it since we played city at anfield and im thinking klopp saw its effectiveness against us and is trying it out)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 02:50:39 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2021, 03:31:04 am »
Take out the comms and there's just as many pages as goals scored :lmao
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Online red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2021, 04:23:23 am »
Were we loosey-goosey at the back or was it just that Saints gambled on three strikers on our line to give themselves a sliver of a chance?

We went out to smash them and it could have been 7 or 8. Van Dijk, Konate and Alison were left to clean up which they did, very well. Robbo was hell bent on attacking and it was great  to see him put in an attacking performance like that. I just think we went for them and there were one or two moments where they got at us, but our game plan worked. Fabinho was class too defensively. But yeah, they came to try and score, just that we were too good going the other way to often for them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 04:30:17 am by red1977 »

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2021, 06:26:05 am »
We went out to smash them and it could have been 7 or 8. Van Dijk, Konate and Alison were left to clean up which they did, very well. Robbo was hell bent on attacking and it was great  to see him put in an attacking performance like that. I just think we went for them and there were one or two moments where they got at us, but our game plan worked. Fabinho was class too defensively. But yeah, they came to try and score, just that we were too good going the other way to often for them.

I think it's also the case that perhaps we aren't so worried about conceding a certain type of chance, namely those where their attacker really needs to beat Alisson with a perfect shot which in and of itself requires significant skill and luck.

But if we're happy with teams shooting from the edge of the box, narrow angles and not point blank and the attacker has adequate pressure from the likes of Virg, Matip and Ibou then I think we'd back Alisson to make the save because he's world class. If this then means that teams are just slightly more open because they think they have a chance of scoring then maybe that is a risk worth taking because that trade-off means that we carve out 3-4 chances every game and with the forwards we have, they are always scoring them.

The one league game we lost this season, West Ham bypassed that to some extent because they scored 2 goals off corners while impeding Alisson and nobody got up and really challenged the headers too much, and another goal that Alisson very nearly saved anyway but it snuck through and rolled in, and on a different day he probably would have kept that out (and Mane would have scored his big chance, and ergo different result).

I think we can definitely defend better anyway. I suspect our CB combination is still getting up to speed as is our midfield combinations and JK  mentioned stability and we've rotated a little bit this year because of injuries and internationals too. It'll come. I don't think we've actually been near our best yet, so it's scary if we are because whoever we play then is going to get completely annihilated. Lets hope we can do that multiple times this season, particularly for the big league games and the CL.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2021, 06:38:18 am »
Thought it was revealing that in his post match press conference today Jurgen stressed how he now feels he definitely made the wrong call last season in deploying Fab and Hendo as emergency centre backs and thereby undermined the team stability. Such an honest guy to admit he was wrong and he should in hindsight have trusted Nat and Rhys and kept Fab and Hendo as the steadying protective midfield screen. It was in answer to a question from Paul Joyce as to whether he viewed last season as a wasted season and he said no because he learnt so much from it including that priceless need for stability.

Personally though I think he’s being too self critical. I think he was in a no win situation. As you and I both stressed in our thread at the time we were so ravaged by injuries and other factors that no matter how he’d have juggled things we’d have still suffered. As it was, us somehow managing to procure third place was a bit of a fucking miracle given all the problems.

As you say right now in stark contrast to last season with the current injury situation seeming to be easing by the week we seem to be on the verge of being perfectly equipped to meet all the challenges to come, especially if he can also wangle retaining Mo and Sadio for the Leicester and Chelsea games just after Christmas.
Yes - that bit really stood out for me, and I think he also said he learned more last season than in other seasons. That's a sign of a really great coach in any sport - the ability to dig deep, find solutions and maintain a level head when the going gets tough and everything seems to be going wrong.

That's why I was disappointed at some of the negativity after Brentford, Brighton, and West Ham, as some had quickly forgotten the dark days of January to March last season, and that the first few months of this season was always going to have bumps in the road with key players being reintegrated. We were clearly in a period of readjustment, the defence was a little rusty, and we also had Elliot, Jones, Milner, Keita, Gomez and Firmino pick up injuries - which makes the figures I posted all the more remarkable given the midfield issues Jurgen has had to juggle.

I'm trying not to get too excited, but this season has a feeling of redemption about it. There is a hunger and energy about Klopp and the players, and I think they all want to put things right after last season - even though as you say - finishing 3rd was remarkable under the circumstances. We have Mo, Sadio and Jota on fire already, Virgil and Matip almost back to their best, Konate looking like he's been here for years, Alisson imperious in goal, Thiago looking sublime, Ox showing signs of consistency, Tsimikas pushing for Robbo's place, Trent being the assist king yet again, and another 4-5 players still to come back. It's 5 wins from 5 in Europe, and we can even rest half the team and put Morton next to Thiago and beat Porto 2-0 (who are no mugs and currently 9-2-0 in the Primera Liga).

It won't all be plain sailing, and there's the small matter of City and Chelsea on our route to number 20, but bloody hell - we look brilliant at times this season, and there's still plenty to come.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 28, 2021, 06:46:50 am »
we're gonna win all of our matches 4-0 rest of the season, aren't we?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 28, 2021, 07:13:29 am »
I dont think its a close contest anymore now as to who is more fun to watch as a neutral out of us or City.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 28, 2021, 07:59:03 am »
or

Yep if only Fab had managed to tuck that one away at the death.  Edit.  That was city.  Too early in the morning.

Anyway, in a great position at the moment.  Looking at the fixtures from beginning of Dec until beginning of Jan we have 8 league games, culminating in a trip to Chelsea over New Years weekend.  That’s basically just over 20% of the league season wrapped up in 1 month.  Huge month incoming.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 08:19:49 am by TSC »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #237 on: November 28, 2021, 08:51:57 am »
Klopp said the same-- we're conceding too many chances but tough to argue when you've just won 4-0, 2-0 and 4-0 in a week.

We've been very open this season. Even the United 5-0 Klopp was actually unhappy with the first half in terms of United getting in behind a lot.

It's helped us score a ton of goals though. I thought we were more controlled and tighter against Arsenal, and by design, but perhaps to the detriment of our attacking play in the first half.

Shades of 13/14 in that we can score at will but easier to score against. I think the weather contributed yesterday. The stormy weather made it riskier against a high press team to take chances.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 28, 2021, 08:59:13 am »
We've been very open this season. Even the United 5-0 Klopp was actually unhappy with the first half in terms of United getting in behind a lot.

It's helped us score a ton of goals though. I thought we were more controlled and tighter against Arsenal, and by design, but perhaps to the detriment of our attacking play in the first half.

Shades of 13/14 in that we can score at will but easier to score against. I think the weather contributed yesterday. The stormy weather made it riskier against a high press team to take chances.

Saints’ best chances were of our making in Thiago losing the ball and Trent’s wayward throw in.

Anyway, the narrative last season was that come to Anfield, park the bus and you would do well. We have to show teams that wont work and if we are to give them some opportunities to come out of their shape then thats fine, as generally we will score more than them.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 09:00:48 am by a treeless whopper »

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #239 on: November 28, 2021, 09:04:12 am »
I'd be worried if I was a Saints fan. Without Ings' goals, you look at their team on paper and it screams relegation. They desperately need Armstrong to come good.

Pretty gutted that Thiago's goal was deflected, because that looked destined for the top corner and it would have been a hell of a goal given the build-up.

Thought Bednarek could have been sent off. Found it a bit strange more wasn't made of it at the time.
Bednarek got lucky on the initial camera angle and they only replayed it from the other angle much later.

Got very lucky the dirty bastard - also, Sadio really did do a lot of rolling around and that was a distraction - had he just gone down in a heap and stayed down the outcome might have been different. Then again, who knows - refs seem to give him fuck all either way - might be a hangover from the time Ederson ran his face into the bottom of Sadio's boot