Author Topic: Atletico Madrid v Liverpool Champions League match day 3 Tuesday 19/10/2021  (Read 12800 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Not ready - just did warm up earlier then individual work.
That’s good, hopefully good for the weekend then if required
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
We should have plenty enough for these to at least get a draw.

A win would be a very good result, as it could mean we get qualification through to the knockout stages early. That'd be nice.

Same starting XI as against Watford, but with Alisson and Fabinho back in the side, if course. Question is what midfield lineup does Klopp go for?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
We should have plenty enough for these to at least get a draw.

A win would be a very good result, as it could mean we get qualification through to the knockout stages early. That'd be nice.

Same starting XI as against Watford, but with Alisson and Fabinho back in the side, if course. Question is what midfield lineup does Klopp go for?

Maybe rest Henderson ahead of Sunday
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
Henderson probably needs a rest, especially if he's gonna be asked to play as an #8 against the Mancs. Ox and Keita may feature alongside Fab as a result. Ox has looked decent so far in his cameos, and this could be the game for him to push on.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
It's an away match in Europe that we have to get a result in, there's no way Henderson doesn't play.  Expect it'll be Fabinho, Henderson and Keita.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
It's an away match in Europe that we have to get a result in, there's no way Henderson doesn't play.  Expect it'll be Fabinho, Henderson and Keita.

It’s a case of managing the squad and not running players into the ground
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Unleash the Divock
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
It’s a case of managing the squad and not running players into the ground

Yep, but it'll be 5 days till Utd.  I just don't see Klopp not wanting someone like Henderson in there for this kind of match.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Yep, but it'll be 5 days till Utd.  I just don't see Klopp not wanting someone like Henderson in there for this kind of match.

And two days since Watford.

We have injuries to three midfielders as it stands.

Five subs does help though.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
And two days since Watford.

We have injuries to three midfielders as it stands.

Five subs does help though.

Surely 3 days since Watford?  Also, he was hardly pushed to his limits in that game.  Could have played in a dinner jacket, etc.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to

We could maybe go Fabinho/Milner/Keita and give Henderson the last half hour.

There's no other option really. There's Ox but if he can't get a look in when Thiago/Elliot/Fabinho and Jones are all out then he's not high in Klopp's thoughts. You risk carrying him in a game like this if he's not at it.

We don't really want to be risking Keita either straight after the internationals and him starting at Watford. A lot of minutes at once is asking for the inevitable injury.

Given we do have 5 subs Fabinho/Ox/Milner might be a good bet, to restrict overburdening Henderson/Keita.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 04:38:46 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Montana

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I expect we'll start with Fabinho, Hendo and Keita and with 5 subs available possibly introduce Milner for Hendo and Ox for Keita later in the game.

Would be a massive boost to get the 3 points and almost seal qualification which would make the last couple of group games easier to navigate for rotation given the big December workload as usual.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
“The last time we faced Liverpool, we won the game at home before we even entered the stadium. I want that to be remembered.”
Diego Simeone

Is he saying they had the game won in their heads before Ko

Or they won the first game at home before they visited  Anfield
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 07:55:01 pm by rocco »

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
“The last time we faced Liverpool, we won the game at home before we even entered the stadium. I want that to be remembered.”
Diego Simeone

I can’t even remember that game.

Last time I remember watching his shit on a stick team play Liverpool, we wiped the floor with them, but conspired to gift them the sodding game.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Last time I remember watching his shit on a stick team play Liverpool, we wiped the floor with them, but conspired to gift them the sodding game.

Is he claiming they’d bribed the officials?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
I don’t see too much wrong with his statement (apart from it probably being factually wrong!). He’s just asking for his fans to turn up and make an atmosphere isn’t he? Not a million miles from what Klopp does on occasions.

Can’t be overstated how much we battered them in that second leg though. And won inside 90 minutes. Do that again this time and it’ll be fine.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I don’t see too much wrong with his statement (apart from it probably being factually wrong!). He’s just asking for his fans to turn up and make an atmosphere isn’t he? Not a million miles from what Klopp does on occasions.

Can’t be overstated how much we battered them in that second leg though. And won inside 90 minutes. Do that again this time and it’ll be fine.

nope, nothing wrong with it.

I just genuinely can’t remember the game, let alone what the atmosphere was like, or how we played. It clearly left very little impact on me  ;D  although I’d guess they spent a shit ton of time time wasting and and crying to the ref.

Online Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational

I just genuinely can’t remember the game, let alone what the atmosphere was like, or how we played. It clearly left very little impact on me  ;D  although I’d guess they spent a shit ton of time time wasting and and crying to the ref.

Yes they did and the ref bought absolutely everything from them, bar none.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 10:45:01 pm by Jshooters »
Believer

Online Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
At. Madrid haven't been very good in almost all of 2021 even though they won the league.  Almost an epic collapse to end last season and while they've started the season well from a points standpoint their performances seemingly haven't been all that great.  With that said I haven't watched them at all, they're still a Simeone managed team with Oblak in goal and it's in the Wanda.  Is a draw a reasonable result?  Based on form I think we should smash them but maybe thoughts should be tempered here.  Will be an interesting watch for sure.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Lovely OP Brainy mate, thank you buddy.

It will be nice to watch a hopefully misfiring Luis. Maybe Jordan can kick in the bollocks for giggles.

I'll go for a score draw, it's never be nil-nil with these two (might be worth a fiver now I've said that).

We can assume Ali starts with Robertson, Trent and Fab, but I expect Jurgen to make 1 or 2 unexpected decisions?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Lovely OP Brainy mate, thank you buddy.

It will be nice to watch a hopefully misfiring Luis. Maybe Jordan can kick in the bollocks for giggles.

I'll go for a score draw, it's never be nil-nil with these two (might be worth a fiver now I've said that).

We can assume Ali starts with Robertson, Trent and Fab, but I expect Jurgen to make 1 or 2 unexpected decisions?

not that it’d be unexpected, but I reckon Diogo will start, a little bit of past Atletico history too, not that he ever needs an incentive to work tirelessly!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
not that it’d be unexpected, but I reckon Diogo will start, a little bit of past Atletico history too, not that he ever needs an incentive to work tirelessly!
Yeah, nothing should be unexpected really, but I'm not sure it will be what people may perceive as our strongest available. You're right about Diogo.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah, nothing should be unexpected really, but I'm not sure it will be what people may perceive as our strongest available. You're right about Diogo.

I hope not,need the lads fresh and ruthless on Sunday & it's an ideal match to rest a few.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
Another 3 away goals scored by the red machine is fine.
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.

I remember very little of games. But have that same feeling about it you do.

Yep. Would need to dig out the stats but I think you're right. We trounced them but lost. Happens sometimes.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan

I hope not,need the lads fresh and ruthless on Sunday & it's an ideal match to rest a few.

It’s away against the Spanish champions in a difficult group.

I take the point that we’ve got 6 points so far which gives us a bit of a buffer but we still need to be getting at least a draw here. I’d expect a change or 2, nothing more than that and I don’t think it will necessarily be swapping a first team player out for a weaker player (ie Robbo for Tsimikas I know that sounds harsh on Tsmikas but Robbo is clearly first choice in that position) but rather a midfield rotation or two and possibly Jota in for Bobby although arguably not given he got a hatrick at the weekend.

They’re a good team and they’ll take some beating, their style of play is probably the one we struggle with most and you can look at the Napoli games for reference of that.

Fancy us to win but I can’t see us resting anyone save for the kind of rotations you’d tend to expect from match to match, the only counter to that I can think of us the way we started against City when we got the same team to go again but I think that was more due to stylistically how we setup against City playing 15 midfielders than anything which was borne out of playing the same team 3 times in 8 days.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

Yep, agreed. A victory on Sunday would be the sweetest. We need to avoid knocks inflicted by AM tonight, it could be intense.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
Yep, agreed. A victory on Sunday would be the sweetest. We need to avoid knocks inflicted by AM tonight, it could be intense.

It would be of course it would be, no arguments there.

I just think that this group could quite quickly become stressful despite our perfect start to date, a defeat to Atletico puts them above us and Porto win in the other game leaves us 2 above them. It does depend what happens in that other game really as even a defeat would be alright if it finishes in a draw although obviously we have no control over that.

I don’t think we’re very good at playing for a draw, we clearly tried it at Napoli in 2018 and we put in an absolutely shocking performance and eventually lost, I know you’re no advocating that we do play for a draw but inevitably if you weaken the side in this kind of game then you’re decreasing the chances of winning.

Perhaps it’s me, I’m always nervous about these groups and a win here all but sees us through (we’d be a minimum of 5 points above 3rd with 3 games left,) I’d like to think the players can go twice against Atletico and the Mancs (or 3 times in 8 days I suppose) so really it’s just the worry of someone getting injured which, as we know all too well, can happen whether a player is on the pitch or not.

I’d go:

Alisson

Robbo
Van Dijk
Matip
Trent

Fabinho
Henderson
Milner

Salah
Mane
Bobby

You could make an argument for switching Milner for Keita but I just worry how he handles these kinds of away games where he’s going to be under a lot of pressure on the ball, Madrid last year springs to mind although alternatively he played very well at Barca prior to picking up that injury.

You can make a case for it either way but I’d be inclined to try and get this won with the strongest team possible and then not have to worry so much about future group stage games, they’d be the ideal opportunity to give the likes of Williams, Phillips, Oxlade game time if we can get something from the home match and make the last 2 games redundant, an away match at the San Siri would be invaluable experience for them you’d think.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
I absolutely despise Atletico, they're the worst kind of snidey, whiney, diving fucks around. For a team that has spent so much over the last couple of years they are the true embodiment of boring.

Playing against them is dull and soul sucking. I would love a 1-0 and no injuries for the weekend please.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nice Calm measured evening the is the recipe for me this eve. They like to stagnate and play for a draw, that suits me fine to be honest. A draw here, win in the home game and we're through. Take it nice and easy ahead of a bigger game sunday.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
I will take a draw here any day. No injuries as well, please. Then smash the mancs on the weekend  :lickin

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
Happy we're facing these in the group stages which will hopefully mean we won't meet again when we reach the knock outs.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
I absolutely despise Atletico, they're the worst kind of snidey, whiney, diving fucks around. For a team that has spent so much over the last couple of years they are the true embodiment of boring.

Playing against them is dull and soul sucking. I would love a 1-0 and no injuries for the weekend please.

I usually love a good pessimistic, cynical rant and this one is no exception as it's spot on. Soul sucking is the right word. They are horrible to watch and I'd fill my eye sockets with lye if I had to support that shite every week. They are the kid that turns off the playstation and runs out right before you win so you can't claim victory, doing whatever it takes no matter how disgusting.

Simeone would steal his nans elecy card in December if it meant winning the coin toss so will expect nothing less than the usual shithousery that you forget is even possible until you watch them.

Already getting those half time feelings of wanting to flip my dining table through the window so won't have much expectations for this. As others have said I'd take a draw and no injuries right now.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
I usually love a good pessimistic, cynical rant and this one is no exception as it's spot on. Soul sucking is the right word. They are horrible to watch and I'd fill my eye sockets with lye if I had to support that shite every week. They are the kid that turns off the playstation and runs out right before you win so you can't claim victory, doing whatever it takes no matter how disgusting.

Simeone would steal his nans elecy card in December if it meant winning the coin toss so will expect nothing less than the usual shithousery that you forget is even possible until you watch them.

Already getting those half time feelings of wanting to flip my dining table through the window so won't have much expectations for this. As others have said I'd take a draw and no injuries right now.

I can barely watch our games involving them, in fact ive purposely arranged something else one time, horrible bastards.

Conversely i dont mind watching them play other teams i really dont like as its kind of amusing to watch the shithousery unfold.

A draw is good enough tonight, we should lock everything up tight, make it a bitty, nothing happening sort of game and try to sucker them on the break. That way we keep our energy levels down with sunday in mind and i think its actually the best way to get a result against these as it forces them to try to play football against us rather than just countering and spoiling which they are amongst the best in the world at.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
The key here is to take our chances. They won't give up that many so if we create a few good opportunities then we simply must take them. Otherwise they'll grow into the game.

I remember the game at Anfield in 2020 right before lockdown. We should have been 4-0 up at HT but somehow conspired to miss chance after chances and made it very difficult for ourselves before Adrian gift wrapped the game for them in ET.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
I think he rests Matip and starts Konate.  Possibly starts Tsimikas for the first hour and only puts on Robbo if really needed. I'm not sure what the fitness levels are like for the midfielders, but Fab and Keita will start.
He does like Diogo for european aways, but he'll not want to mess around with the best forward line in world football at the moment.

Get an early goal, shut their crowd down, stop them from timewasting and shithousery. Then get a free kick late on, and get Milner to lash it as hard as possible into Simeone's balls.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
we'll probably go full strength and then use all 5 subs with an eye on the weekend

Only decision's are who we play with Fab and Hendo in midfield and whether we stick with Bobby or play Jota. I think we'll go Milner and Bobby.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Online Topwings!

• Main Stander
I think he rests Matip and starts Konate.  Possibly starts Tsimikas for the first hour and only puts on Robbo if really needed. I'm not sure what the fitness levels are like for the midfielders, but Fab and Keita will start.
He does like Diogo for european aways, but he'll not want to mess around with the best forward line in world football at the moment.

Get an early goal, shut their crowd down, stop them from timewasting and shithousery. Then get a free kick late on, and get Milner to lash it as hard as possible into Simeone's balls.

Sounds like a plan, especially the bit at the end.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
we'll probably go full strength and then use all 5 subs with an eye on the weekend

Only decision's are who we play with Fab and Hendo in midfield and whether we stick with Bobby or play Jota. I think we'll go Milner and Bobby.

Yeah I think people keep forgetting we have 5 subs here.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated

If he does rest Matip (or Virgil) I’d have thought Gomez is most likely to be in before Konate
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp