Author Topic: David Amess MP stabbed and killed* News updates only.  (Read 9675 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: David Amess MP stabbed and killed.
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2021, 05:57:28 pm »
No one knows who what or why.

At this time, thoughts  should only be with his family.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2021, 06:03:31 pm »
I'm never totally certain of reading between the lines of police statements but when they say that they are not looking for anybody else in connection with the attack doesn't that suggest that this may be something personal (e.g. family/relationship issue or aggrieved constituent) rather than an act of political extremism?

It just means they arent expecting any others to be involved. It tells us nothing about the motive.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2021, 06:06:34 pm »
There is no need for speculation about motives. It will all become apparent in time.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2021, 06:10:43 pm »
A nice tribute from Yvette Cooper.

Yvette Cooper
@YvetteCooperMP
Just devastating news. David Amess was one of the kindest, friendliest people you could meet. Completely dedicated to serving his constituency, involved in so many causes & important work on animal welfare. But above all, just kind and keen to help others. We will all miss him
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2021, 06:12:22 pm »
I make no apologies for saying that I absolutely loathe the Tories and pretty much everything they stand for. Despite that, I think what has happened today is grotesque.

No motive has been identified as far as I know, but nothing excuses this.

To be honest, in this horribly messed-up country, I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened even more often. It may be a lucrative career for politicians, but they play with peoples' lives with their policies, and decisions they make from the comfort of their plush offices can make or break the lives of so many people across the country.

Sadly, our own prevailing culture can lead to this kind of tragedy taking place. We have a government in office who relish stoking division. It's a big aspect of how they operate. They use polarisation as a tactic, as do the press and other media. Those divisions always lead to hate, and hate sometimes leads to horrific actions and consequences. Maybe today is one such consequence, or maybe the motive is something completely different? All I know is that until we are all willing to cultivate a coming together, a willingness to empathise with each other and work for the betterment of society as a whole, what happened today will happen again in the future.

RIP David Amess. Condolences to his family.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:15:34 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2021, 06:16:45 pm »
Posted by former Labour MP Paula Sheriff

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2021, 06:18:59 pm »
What sort of security, if any, do MPs get when they hold constituency surgeries ?  Its actually a genuine question, I have no idea.  If you’re a politician, left, right or centre, you’re going to upset somebody, it’s surprising this sort of shit doesn’t happen more.  What a horrible day, everyday in this country theres something that makes my stomach flip.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2021, 06:20:18 pm »
I make no apologies for saying that I absolutely loathe the Tories and pretty much everything they stand for. Despite that, I think what has happened today is grotesque.

To be honest, in this horribly messed-up country, I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened even more often. It may be a lucrative career for politicians, but they play with peoples' lives with their policies, and decisions they make from the comfort of their plush offices can make or break the lives of so many people across the country.

Sadly, our own prevailing culture can lead to this kind of tragedy taking place. We have a government in office who relish stoking division. It's a big aspect of how they operate. They use polarisation as a tactic, as do the press and other media. Those divisions always lead to hate, and hate sometimes leads to horrific actions and consequences. Maybe today is one such consequence, or maybe the motive is something completely different? All I know is that until we are all willing to cultivate a coming together, a willingness to empathise with each other and work for the betterment of society as a whole, what happened today will happen again in the future.

That wont get the Tories a majority though.

It's a very sad state of affairs.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:22:59 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2021, 06:24:53 pm »

For all the awful things about this government, the worst in my lifetime, I don't think we can pin adversarial politics on them

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2021, 06:25:03 pm »

Yep. We learned nothing from Jo Cox's murder and I don't see any reason why things will be different this time.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2021, 06:36:05 pm »
What sort of security, if any, do MPs get when they hold constituency surgeries ?  Its actually a genuine question, I have no idea.  If you’re a politician, left, right or centre, you’re going to upset somebody, it’s surprising this sort of shit doesn’t happen more.  What a horrible day, everyday in this country theres something that makes my stomach flip.

They get police advice and that is meant to inform them on where to hold surgeries and how (so most will now run them by appointment rather than constituents just being able to turn up, and in fixed locations with escape routes out). But beyond that for most MPs (ie not in cabinet etc), none. Why their staff feel themselves to be the security. Thing to it since the expenses scandals is that MPs are really, really, really loathe to have large expenses which some will use as a political cudgel regardless of what the expenses have paid for so they're disincentivised from adding costs such as additional security. That could reasonably change, in my view, if doing it centrally and just saying 'this is the lump sum cost of having your MPs as safe as we reasonably can' even if attitudes towards expenses are still locked in from a decade ago.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:54:01 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2021, 06:37:52 pm »
R.I.P

So much hate in the world it would break your heart.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2021, 06:41:15 pm »
Stephen Timms was lucky he wasn’t included amongst the list of deceased MPs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabbing_of_Stephen_Timms

oh yes, forgot about that, I'm still amazed the lack of security involved at MPs surgeries
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2021, 07:09:12 pm »
Totally agree
 Might want to delete some of robs posts though...

--edit-- that should be any country. Not just this one.

I'll tone down what I say/maybe stop posting in the threads, but seeing as the Tories continue to push hate, division, policies that kill people, policies that push families into poverty, that they learnt nothing from the murder of Jo Cox, that they demonise people fleeing Afghanistan, I will not go all Not The Nine O'Clock News sketch on this.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2021, 07:35:47 pm »
Apparently the guy who did it was from Somalia, source Telegraph.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2021, 07:53:23 pm »
Until more is known about who did it and why it is impossible to know the intent. But attacking a politician is not necessarily a political act. In 1990 conservative German politician Wolfgang Schäuble was the target of an assassination attempt. He was shot and severely injured, he survived, but has since been in a wheelchair (he served in Merkel's governments for many years). It happened at an event during election campaigning, later the attacker was found to be suffering from a mental illness and committed to a clinic dealing with forensic psychiatry.
That same year a mentally ill woman attacked the then Social Democratic candidate for German Chancellor, Oskar Lafontaine, with a knife, also at a public event. He was in critical condition for a few days, but made a full recovery. Both these assassination attempts were not politically motivated, but targeted political figures in the public sphere. After years of treatment the attackers were released in 2004 (Schäuble's case) and 2014 (Lafontaine). The man who attacked Schäuble has since issued an apology.

Whilst I take your point, given the current state of British politics I remain to be convinced. We can sometimes class radicalisation as a form of mental illness, and a person can be "de-programmed" from their thinking patterns. But David Amess would have been a deliberate choice of target. Maybe it's not as open and shut as Jo Cox was, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2021, 08:10:58 pm »
Unconfirmed reports now suggesting the murderer was an Islamist of African origin.

The investigation has been taken over by anti-terror police
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2021, 08:23:43 pm »
Some of the tweets I’ve seen tonight in response to this detail - absolutely deplorable, grimly predictable mind you.

Its always predictable that you can find grim on twitter no matter what the story. Its always been a mystery to me why people go on it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #98 on: October 15, 2021, 08:26:38 pm »
Its always predictable that you can find grim on twitter no matter what the story. Its always been a mystery to me why people go on it.

It depends what you do on it though, people can share good things on twitter as well as bad depends on the person concerned.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2021, 08:34:44 pm »

Twitter is great.  I follow sport, gaming, movies, horror film stars, music. It’s fantastic. One thing I don’t do is follow anything related to news or politics, that’s when it goes tits up. I haven’t got Facebook but I imagine that’s similar.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #100 on: October 15, 2021, 08:40:18 pm »
It depends what you do on it though, people can share good things on twitter as well as bad depends on the person concerned.
indeed, the image that Tepid posted above came from Paula Sherrif's Twitter account
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: October 15, 2021, 08:40:40 pm »
Twitter is fine as long as you don't go into the replies of any public figure or famous person.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2021, 08:54:41 pm »
Apparently the guy who did it was from Somalia, source Telegraph.
A U.K. national of Somali heritage
W

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #103 on: October 15, 2021, 08:54:53 pm »
From BBC

Attack suspect is British national

The BBC understands from an official government source that the 25-year-old man being held on suspicion of murdering Sir David Amess MP is a British national who initially appears to be of Somali heritage.

Further inquiries are continuing.
#Sausages

Offline lamad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: October 15, 2021, 09:09:47 pm »
Whilst I take your point, given the current state of British politics I remain to be convinced. We can sometimes class radicalisation as a form of mental illness, and a person can be "de-programmed" from their thinking patterns. But David Amess would have been a deliberate choice of target. Maybe it's not as open and shut as Jo Cox was, but I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Absolutely there could be a political or personal background to this and it might be more probable with the current state of affairs (in the UK and worldwide). But there is true mental illness that has nothing to with radicalisation (if I remember correctly the shooter in 1990 had some sort of schizophrenic disorder).

Regarding security: There were bodyguards present at the German attacks I mentioned, but even that is not a guarantee. Both politicians survived (one bodyguard was injured in the shooting incident), but whenever politicians do public events and specifically meet the public and there are crowds, there is a certain risk. Over the past decade there were a couple of other 'smaller' incidents involving knives here and in 2019 district president Walter Lübcke - who was openly opposing anti refugee rhetoric - was shot in his garden point blank in the head by right wing Neo Nazi scum (who had links to the AfD and various extremist groups). Not even safe at home...

Generally the divisions in our societies are getting bigger and the flames are being fanned by parts of the mainstream media, by certain political players, by bubbles created in social media. The extremists are still a minority, but they have become more vocal and dragged more people into their circles and the willingness for violence has definitely increased with some of them.

What happened today is incredibly sad, and not just in regards to implications for society and democracy, but especially considering what it means for his family and friends.

Offline Baraka

• bama. But a lot lot lot lot stupider. Has an IQ of 6½
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2021, 09:40:02 pm »
Absolutely there could be a political or personal background to this and it might be more probable with the current state of affairs (in the UK and worldwide). But there is true mental illness that has nothing to with radicalisation (if I remember correctly the shooter in 1990 had some sort of schizophrenic disorder).

Regarding security: There were bodyguards present at the German attacks I mentioned, but even that is not a guarantee. Both politicians survived (one bodyguard was injured in the shooting incident), but whenever politicians do public events and specifically meet the public and there are crowds, there is a certain risk. Over the past decade there were a couple of other 'smaller' incidents involving knives here and in 2019 district president Walter Lübcke - who was openly opposing anti refugee rhetoric - was shot in his garden point blank in the head by right wing Neo Nazi scum (who had links to the AfD and various extremist groups). Not even safe at home...

Generally the divisions in our societies are getting bigger and the flames are being fanned by parts of the mainstream media, by certain political players, by bubbles created in social media. The extremists are still a minority, but they have become more vocal and dragged more people into their circles and the willingness for violence has definitely increased with some of them.

What happened today is incredibly sad, and not just in regards to implications for society and democracy, but especially considering what it means for his family and friends.

a lot of social media and comment sections are toxic af
South Park>>>>>All.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #106 on: October 15, 2021, 09:51:14 pm »
I think it's going to have to be airport-style security checks to see MP's in person in the future. It's a heavy price to pay but with MP's being very much public figures in one-person constituencies it's always been a fragile position to be in when deranged lunatics or terrorists perform acts of evil.

I come from a country which has seen the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister 17 years apart get murdered on the streets of Stockholm, the latter of which really forced a strong re-think of how the security apparatus works around ministers and party leaders. The latter I still struggle to talk about since it affected very close to home and we all found out while at school in the morning. I'll just leave it there out respect for her family. We knew she had gotten stabbed the day before but went to bed believing she was critical but had a chance of making it. Then morning came and we all learned she was dead and it was unreal. It's still hard to believe she's gone.

The big issue in the UK is that you need 650 highly-equipped personal protection teams and that's not going to be easy to find. In Sweden, MP's are anonymous and live their lives like any regular person if they're not in the cabinet or party leadership, both of which take all the heat. I don't even know most names of the MP's in my constituency since they're just part of the party lists. First past the post really poses a challenge in that. There are 650 races and that per definition is polarizing. On the other hand, from a political standpoint it's a very good way to hold politicians to account in the elections if they can't be 'anonymous'. In Sweden, no-one would've known who David Arness was. On the other hand, in Sweden he couldn't represent his local community. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't scenario here and I definitely know I wouldn't want to live that life in the spotlight with the paranoia that must bring.

I think it will be hard for anyone to figure out how to deal with this situation. I think it's a very good start if politicians halt consituency surgeries unless their safeties can't be guaranteed. No-one wants to see more of this.

RIP David. I can't imagine the sheer terror and panic he faced in his final moments. Regardless of who he was and what he voted for or against, everyone should be able to agree on that.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 10:13:18 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: October 15, 2021, 09:59:13 pm »
RIP.  Whether you agree or disagree with a political stance, if you are elected under the electoral system of the time in a free democratic nation you should be able to go about your business without fear of this happening.  Twice now in a matter of a few years, one Tory, one Labour. 
We are Loyal Supporters

Online ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #108 on: October 15, 2021, 10:04:13 pm »
RIP Sir David.

Regardless of his political views he was a man who served his community for many years. Not a piece of shit like his killer.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 15, 2021, 10:41:25 pm »
So Britain has a knife crime problem?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2021, 10:47:54 pm »
I couldn’t have disagreed more with the majority of his positions over the years, but this is a grotesque attack on our democracy. RIP.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2021, 11:14:33 pm »
So Britain has a knife crime problem?
what?

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2021, 11:26:21 pm »
what?

Whatever the motives for this act, it's another tragic incident where a knife was used to end a life. Let's see if the government move towards actually doing something about it. Every other day there's a kid stabbed to death in a town/city in the UK. Whether it's a law or cultural issue it needs addressing.

Addressing the issue by placing security details on every politician is not fixing anything.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #113 on: October 15, 2021, 11:32:47 pm »
This is a grotesque medieval reminder of the reasons why civilised politics evolved in the first place.

It's far from perfect....but the crude alternative is a well worn path in humanity's history, and has no place anymore. Like or loathe them, MPs and politicians of all colours provide us with an outlet for the ideas that fuel civilised life. No matter how contentious the issues are, debate, consensus and respect is the backbone of civilised politics.

RIP
YNWA

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #114 on: October 15, 2021, 11:34:03 pm »
Can't see why these surgeries can't be done 'virtually'. No need for expensive armed security. Hell, no need to even go back to the wife for the weekend. Nothing will happen though - they do like a bit of 'business as usual old boy, chortle chortle'.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2021, 11:35:56 pm »
This is a grotesque medieval reminder of the reasons why civilised politics evolved in the first place.

It's far from perfect....but the crude alternative is a well worn path in humanity's history, and has no place anymore. Like or loathe them, MPs and politicians of all colours provide us with an outlet for the ideas that fuel civilised life. No matter how contentious the issues are, debate, consensus and respect is the backbone of civilised politics.

RIP
Consensus. Ah yes, I remember that.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2021, 08:56:21 am »
A couple of pages binned.

A man was brutally stabbed to death. Thats the story.

We are considering binning all political threads because they are so fucking toxic. This is another perfect example   I’ll leave it open for news updates.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
Re: David Amess MP stabbed and killed* News updates only.
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2021, 09:13:48 am »
Alan - just want to clarify - is it now toxic to be a woman and have the right to choose?

Just want to add, for the avoidance of doubt - that this is a heinous crime and I have nothing but sympathy for David Ammess' family at this time.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 09:15:40 am by Millie »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2021, 09:25:59 am »
Alan - just want to clarify - is it now toxic to be a woman and have the right to choose?

Just want to add, for the avoidance of doubt - that this is a heinous crime and I have nothing but sympathy for David Ammess' family at this time.
Alan, I'm pm'd Millie.

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2021, 09:42:29 am »
The issue is clearly a difficult one as has been alluded to elsewhere in the thread. No one here is saying that the man was a saint, or that they agreed with everything he advocated or supported. But he was brutally stabbed to death in his role as an MP, democratically representing his constituents. All that was said about him in a positive sense was that he was a "decent man". No one really went any further than that. Most here will have no knowledge of him personally at all beyond his voting record, a Wikipedia page and the odd bit of news reporting about him.

Firstly, it should be possible to distinguish the personal from the political, although some people will find that hard. My mother is conservative, as are some of her friends, as are some of mine. I still consider them decent people (perhaps not ALL of her friends, but that's not the point...) He was seemingly liked and respected across the political spectrum, and again that's as much as anyone said really. No one was trying to whitewash him as a politician, the focus was correctly on how awful it was for someone to be brutally murdered in these circumstances.

Secondly, if you can't say anything nice about someone, maybe it's best not to say anything at all on the day they were stabbed to death. This doesn't mean your views on the wider issues being discussed here aren't relevant, important, significant etc. It's simply to show the appropriate level of respect and to reflect on what happened today and what it represents, both in relation to our democracy, society as a whole, and to the family of David Amess.