Author Topic: Momo Sissoko  (Read 3201 times)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Momo Sissoko
« on: June 4, 2021, 01:06:38 am »
You know when you’re thinking about the 05/06 season at 1AM? Right, well I was doing that and started thinking about Sissoko’s form that year. We had a very strong team and he was integral part of it. Then just as quickly as he arrived on the scene, his form seemed to leave him and never really came back. Was it the eye injury, and if so what was so bad about it? Or am I misremembering his ability and overstating how good he was?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Momo Sissoko
« Reply #1 on: June 4, 2021, 01:46:10 am »
I remember saying that if Souness was a midfield  general, then Momo was a tank commander.  I always thought he was excellent for us, but I admittedly never watched him that closely.

I think the eye injury did play a part, but the way he got stuck in with his goggles showed his determination.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #2 on: June 4, 2021, 02:49:19 am »
You know when you’re thinking about the 05/06 season at 1AM? Right, well I was doing that and started thinking about Sissoko’s form that year. We had a very strong team and he was integral part of it. Then just as quickly as he arrived on the scene, his form seemed to leave him and never really came back. Was it the eye injury, and if so what was so bad about it? Or am I misremembering his ability and overstating how good he was?

He was definitely very good. I don't remember him necessarily dropped off significantly. He had a few issues with the eye injury but ultimately we simply replaced him with a heaps better player in Masch.

In terms of his passing ability he wasn't close to being as good and became a bit redundant when we had the Stevie-Xabi-Masch access set up.

If I recall correctly he made a decent impact when he first arrived on the scene at Juve as well, and stayed there for a few seasons.

My sense of it is it's less that he dropped off a cliff and more that his technical limitations meant there were better options for the bigger clubs.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: June 4, 2021, 09:37:41 am »
I can imagine it was a nightmare for the opponents playing against him. I remember him tacking everyone right and left for 90minutes!
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: June 4, 2021, 11:10:12 am »
His LFC highlight was the goal against Sunderland. I went crazy at that goal (and what a goal it was!) as I was genuinely made up for him. Most definitely a midfield general, in the same mould as Fabinho

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 4, 2021, 12:18:42 pm »
He was definitely very good. I don't remember him necessarily dropped off significantly. He had a few issues with the eye injury but ultimately we simply replaced him with a heaps better player in Masch.

In terms of his passing ability he wasn't close to being as good and became a bit redundant when we had the Stevie-Xabi-Masch access set up.

If I recall correctly he made a decent impact when he first arrived on the scene at Juve as well, and stayed there for a few seasons.

My sense of it is it's less that he dropped off a cliff and more that his technical limitations meant there were better options for the bigger clubs.

We looked for more all-round players like Mascherano and Lucas. Sissoko went to Juventus after us, and they adored him there.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: June 4, 2021, 12:19:35 pm »
He was boss at one point. That eye injury did seem to mess him up a bit.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: June 4, 2021, 12:25:19 pm »
Sissoko assist for Del Piero. Steel and silk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv2JBDUdSqo
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2021, 08:53:16 am »
The eye injury seemed to be a game changer, I just had a quick google and Sissoko himself says he never felt the same after and that his vision was permanently impacted.

He suffered from the fact that he looked so awkward as a player, he wasn't easy on the eye like the other three we had. But he certainly did a brilliant job in that system. It's also true that Mascherano was a pretty big upgrade. The first few months Mascherano was here I don't think I've ever seen a player win so many tackles.

We moved on quickly from him but yeah he was definitely a really good player for a time, and what a performance in the cup final. It's that great football hipster shout calling that the Sissoko final.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: June 5, 2021, 10:18:49 am »
He was brilliant in the 2006 Cup Final. When everyone’s legs had gone Momo was still going at full tilt. He’s a huge reason why we won that.

05/06 was probably his best season for us but he had some big moments in 06/07. Again he did a brilliant job in the Nou Camp when we beat Barca, he was all over their midfield. The Community Shield was amusing too. Think it was Ballack’s debut and Momo welcomed him to English football with a few hefty challenges that put him on his arse.

Would he work well in a Klopp team do you think? Not many better and winning the ball back in midfield.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: June 5, 2021, 11:31:03 am »
He was brilliant in the 2006 Cup Final. When everyone’s legs had gone Momo was still going at full tilt. He’s a huge reason why we won that.

05/06 was probably his best season for us but he had some big moments in 06/07. Again he did a brilliant job in the Nou Camp when we beat Barca, he was all over their midfield. The Community Shield was amusing too. Think it was Ballack’s debut and Momo welcomed him to English football with a few hefty challenges that put him on his arse.

Would he work well in a Klopp team do you think? Not many better and winning the ball back in midfield.

We'd need to play gegengegengegenpress if we had Sissoko in a Klopp midfield.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 5, 2021, 11:43:06 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oNarXalAlgg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oNarXalAlgg</a>

:)
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: June 5, 2021, 11:59:44 am »

gerrard scored goals but momo was the beast in midfield running around like a mad bastard trying to win every ball that we lost.

absolutely brilliant physical presence that could run all day but his consistency was a big problem.

there was a running joke that when he plays his second pass was a tackle. that was how bad it could be.

but damn. loved him to bits. did his job when called upon and left without saying a bad word about us.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #13 on: June 5, 2021, 12:18:26 pm »
As a player he was very dependent on his physical attributes such as stamina and strength and once he lost that his career fell off a cliff after he fell out of favour at Juventus. It's easy to forget just how big he was at 191 cm (that's like 20 cm taller than Mascherano) and that made him a proper hassle to play against while he was still mobile enough. As it was, he lacked the technical ability of a Vieira (with a very similar physical profile) to prolong his career. All it took was some injuries to suddenly turn him obsolete and the demise was way too soon.
Linudden.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: June 5, 2021, 12:20:21 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oNarXalAlgg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oNarXalAlgg</a>

:)

The closed captions for the French speaking part at the end  ???
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 5, 2021, 01:10:54 pm »
As a player he was very dependent on his physical attributes such as stamina and strength and once he lost that his career fell off a cliff after he fell out of favour at Juventus. It's easy to forget just how big he was at 191 cm (that's like 20 cm taller than Mascherano) and that made him a proper hassle to play against while he was still mobile enough. As it was, he lacked the technical ability of a Vieira (with a very similar physical profile) to prolong his career. All it took was some injuries to suddenly turn him obsolete and the demise was way too soon.

Sissoko wasn't technical enough for Juventus, and they needed to complement him with a more passing-oriented midfielder. So they signed Christian Poulsen.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: June 6, 2021, 08:13:52 pm »

This is the reason RAWK is great. Momo was the ultimate destroyer for a time there
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #17 on: June 6, 2021, 10:21:41 pm »

well he was a member of the best midfield in the world...
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #18 on: June 7, 2021, 12:02:36 am »
well he was a member of the best midfield in the world...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tccgaMx0ij0

And he knows it  ;)

What a team  :-*

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2021, 09:46:34 am »
He was unreal in that Community Shield match against Chelsea. Some of those tackles! Although he probably wouldn't get away with 90% of them nowadays.

Great player and I loved him to bits, but he couldn't pass for shit a lot of the time.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2021, 10:03:20 am »
I remember Rafa saying he was a physical freak in that he needed minimal time to recover between games. As an opposition midfielder you wouldn't be to worried about him on the ball but when you have it you must constantly be looking over your shoulder as he went hunting for the ball like a man possessed. Must be nightmare to play against.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2021, 10:11:28 am »
I feel like he could've been a top class centre back. I don't think the managers were mentally ready to have those attributes at the back during those days. I think Koulibaly would've been a midfielder destroyer had he played 15-20 years ago.
Linudden.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 11:49:48 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tccgaMx0ij0

And he knows it  ;)

What a team  :-*

Every good team needs Traore at left back, hire this man as a coach immediately.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2021, 11:52:58 am »
Every good team needs Traore at left back, hire this man as a coach immediately.

Momo be like "fuck it, no Liverpool team without my Malian mate"  ;D

I think them being compatriots and international team mates have a fair thing to do with that selection oh and the emoji is Djimi holding the big ears cup  :champ
Linudden.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2021, 12:07:01 pm »
That tackle on Ballack is burned into my memory.  I've never seen a legal one before or since where the first part of the guys body to hit the turf is his face.  He just utterly crumples.  Momo was like a tiger coming out of the grass.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2021, 02:45:12 pm »
Momo be like "fuck it, no Liverpool team without my Malian mate"  ;D

I think them being compatriots and international team mates have a fair thing to do with that selection oh and the emoji is Djimi holding the big ears cup  :champ
Haha yeah that was my reading of the 'leftfield' selection too  ;D

Apart from Momo, I don't think any LFC fan would pick Djimi.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2021, 12:41:45 am »

He'd be an absolute beast in a Klopp team. I do wonder how much better he could have got had it not been for the eye injury

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan