Author Topic: Not quite so 'Super' League  (Read 527414 times)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Breakaway Super League... The Times
« Reply #200 on: April 18, 2021, 04:22:56 pm »
You can do that already by winning the Europa League.

Except you'd actually have to qualify initially to win the Europa, ie, earn the right, be that through placement or winning a cup.

Online StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 18, 2021, 04:22:58 pm »
City have shown that at any moment some super rich state can buy an average club and overtake Liverpool in probably 10 years. I think it's understandable that it worries our owners. Right now there's no protection from UEFA. Our place in the CL and the money and status that brings could be taken away by a Saudi owned Newcastle for example. If FFP can't protect the clubs they want to protect it with a guaranteed seat at the big boys table. It kind of sucks and isn't football competition as we've known it but nothing stays the same forever.

This is it for me. I don't like the idea of it (and I don't think any fan really wants this), but you can hardly blame FSG for going for it with everything that has been allowed to happen by UEFA and the Premier League.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: April 18, 2021, 04:23:23 pm »
Fair shout and I think there will be pro's and cons, but personally I'd be more inclined to go and watch, or people pay to watch, Us versus a Madrid or a Juventus, than say a Fulham or a Burnley and I'd hazard a guess that as a selling product, world wide, others would.

This whole thing is no shock, this, like it or lump it, is the natural progression. Whether we approve or not, this, or a guise of this current proposal is coming soon.

The thing is it will get boring if you play them every game, part of the allure comes from the fact that you don’t get to watch these big European sides face off every week.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #203 on: April 18, 2021, 04:24:03 pm »
Out of curiosity, how would you change it?

Personally, I'd change the seeding system. I understand why seeds exist, but I think it's too heavily in favour in the bigger teams.

A higher emphasis on the champions automatically qualifying without the need of entrance rounds. I.E the only teams that automatically qualify are the league champions, everyone else has to go through qualifying rounds. I wouldn't stop the 2,3,4 placed finishers in say, England, from being able to get into it, but they would have to go through qualifying rounds. This would allow the champions of smaller nations, say, Czechia, to be able to qualify.

I'd bin off the away goals rule too, and maybe change the group rounds to have less matches, and more knock out rounds.

So it could look like; 16 league winners or so from various countries get straight through to the knockout rounds, everyone else either has to go through a group qualifying round or something maybe?

I'm sure there's lots of flaws in how I would prefer it to be, but this is just my dumb opinion.
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 18, 2021, 04:24:10 pm »
If you really want to blame a person for all of this blame Agnelli. That fucker has been pushing for this latest version of the Super League for the best part of a decade.

No blame the premier league and others for standing by and letting clubs be bought by murderous state owned entities and then stand back and try and get all morally outraged when proper clubs walk away and set up their own competition.

Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #205 on: April 18, 2021, 04:24:36 pm »
Not bothered one bit about this. At this point - greed has been established as the dominating motivator, so let’s play that game. UEFA, FIFA and FA have been terrible custodians of the game and have repeatedly put money and themselves ahead of clubs and players. So fuck them, fuck their competitions and fuck their referees.

Remember when they revamped the coefficient system because Man City kept drawing good teams and got knocked out?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2021, 04:25:06 pm »
No blame the premier league and others for standing by and letting clubs be bought by murderous state owned entities and then stand back and try and get all morally outraged when proper clubs walk away and set up their own competition.

"proper clubs" like, er, Real Madrid. OK mate.

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2021, 04:25:45 pm »
From Liverpool's reddit page "UEFA Statement on European Super League - "the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European, or world level". Yikes.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:02 pm »

Are you aware that City are involved in this?

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:05 pm »
This is hilarious. Were they “defending the integrity and prospects of the league” when they allowed City and Chelsea to be bought by oil barons?

and not just oil barrons, but people who imprison lgbtq people, who have slaves, who treat women as second class citizens - they are absolutely fine with these people owning clubs in their leagues.

As shit an idea this is for football, I can’t be doing with these sodding leagues and UEFA (of all organisations), behaving like they are holier than thou and being hard done by.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:13 pm »
Except you'd actually have to qualify initially to win the Europa, ie, earn the right, be that through placement or winning a cup.

You used to be able to get in via the fair play league!  :P

My point being that qualification for Europe's premier competition has been so diluted down the years that it's a natural progression for teams to get a guaranteed place or at least guaranteed for a number of years rather than one season.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:15 pm »
The thing is it will get boring if you play them every game, part of the allure comes from the fact that you don’t get to watch these big European sides face off every week.

This is not a great argument to be honest. I’ll take a “boring” game vs Madrid or Juve over a Game against Burnley or West Brom any day of the week.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:36 pm »
UEFA coming out strong saying have support of relevant federations (Premier League etc) that we’d be kicked out of premier league if go ahead with this.

Fascinating next move.

Edit: added a link to UEFA statement below.

https://twitter.com/samuelluckhurst/status/1383800955720720395?s=21

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:46 pm »
This might be it for me
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2021, 04:26:50 pm »
There will be no premier league if we join the super league also.

There absolutely will

The domestics league is whatever the big domestic clubs want it to be - that’s how the premier league was set up in the first place

People can’t simultaneously say this is a cash grab and then expect the big clubs to stop earning hundreds of millions from their domestic leagues - why wouldn’t they do both

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2021, 04:27:14 pm »
Are you aware that City are involved in this?

From what I read this morning, City are the only ones who are yet to sign up to it?

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2021, 04:27:19 pm »
"proper clubs" like, er, Real Madrid. OK mate.

And incidentally having those same murderous state owned clubs in the same super league, what a silly argument that is.

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2021, 04:27:30 pm »
People pissed about City and PSG being involved need to realise that that horse has already bolted. These proposals will be designed to stop the NEXT City / PSG, i.e. the Saudi's buying Newcastle.

There's absolutely no way we could stand back and let this happen without us, even though it doesn't sound particularly good.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2021, 04:27:43 pm »

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 18, 2021, 04:28:05 pm »
Brilliant news, I'm all for it.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2021, 04:28:13 pm »
From what I read this morning, City are the only ones who are yet to sign up to it?

nope, they are in it too.

6 English clubs, 3 Italian and 3 Spanish.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2021, 04:28:13 pm »
UEFA coming out strong saying have support of relevant federations (Premier League etc) that we’d be kicked out of premier league if go ahead with this.

Fascinating next move.

Empty threat. The domestic leagues will instantly lose their TV deals without the big clubs, players and managers.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2021, 04:28:20 pm »

Fascinating next move.

They would just create an alternative to the Premier League. The clubs are the big players, not the organisers. If the top 5 say 'we're making a break away domestic league', the rest would likely follow.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2021, 04:28:43 pm »
And incidentally having those same murderous state owned clubs in the same super league, what a silly argument that is.

Yeah, just Man City joining us. And Chelsea. Truly we are in the hall of angels.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2021, 04:28:50 pm »

They’ve invited PSG also actually, it’s just that they’re declining at the moment.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2021, 04:28:57 pm »

Fascinating next move.

The Premier League can't exist without the top six.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2021, 04:29:07 pm »
From Liverpool's reddit page "UEFA Statement on European Super League - "the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European, or world level". Yikes.

That will just be the end of UEFA’s competitions. Are neutrals going to watch the biggest teams in the world compete against each other or are they going to watch Burnley v Brighton?
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2021, 04:29:12 pm »
There absolutely will

The domestics league is whatever the big domestic clubs want it to be - that’s how the premier league was set up in the first place

People can’t simultaneously say this is a cash grab and then expect the big clubs to stop earning hundreds of millions from their domestic leagues - why wouldn’t they do both

Yep. If the clubs can(and who knows it they can) create their own European Super League then they can setup their own English Super League to go alongside it.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: April 18, 2021, 04:29:43 pm »

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 18, 2021, 04:30:12 pm »
Yep. If the clubs can(and who knows it they can) create their own European Super League then they can setup their own English Super League to go alongside it.

English super league that sounds like the NBA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #230 on: April 18, 2021, 04:30:15 pm »
See, for me it depends how much power this group get,  the ‘Financial Sustainability Group.’  Is this going to be a serious way of being able to look into club finances or is it just fudge? In all their years of being the "guardians" of the game have UEFA ever even attempted to down this road? Before anyone mentions FFP that's in the dustbin written off by the very people who brought it in. Whatever happens looking into transfer fees needs to be an absolute must regardless of who is running the game/competition etc etc.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #231 on: April 18, 2021, 04:30:22 pm »

No, they agreed eventually. PSG and Bayern the holdouts currently. PSG because Qatar has paid hundreds of millions to UEFA in broadcast money and it'll be a massive loss. Bayern because...no idea.
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 18, 2021, 04:30:30 pm »
Aye,  that big club Spurs bringing the legacy...

It's a simple,  direct attempt to control,  insure money.

To be honest, Tottenham are a bigger club than Chelsea and Man City, but I agree, they shouldn't be in the European Super League. The only 3 English clubs that deserve to be there are LFC, Man Utd and Arsenal ...

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: April 18, 2021, 04:30:47 pm »
JP Morgan will be the ones investing in the European Super League with a staggering £4.6bn investment.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:11 pm »
As many have said premier league is nothing without the big 6, so interesting how much support UEFA have from them behind the posturing in that statement.

Online Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:31 pm »
The Premier League can't exist without the top six.

And it can’t exist without the smaller clubs also, that’s generally how life and society works the people at the top can’t survive without the people at the bottom.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:35 pm »

Fascinating next move.

They’re trying to win the PR battle with that statement

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:51 pm »
No, they agreed eventually. PSG and Bayern the holdouts currently. PSG because Qatar has paid hundreds of millions to UEFA in broadcast money and it'll be a massive loss. Bayern because...no idea.

Presumably Bayern's holdout could be the fact they're fan membership owned?

Imagine being owned by a group who have the fans best interest at heart.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:58 pm »

Agreed some of the special edge will move and it may feel a bit same old, same old, however, if they edged to say an 16, maybe 18 team league, then that's some feast of football to consider with week in and week out.

If we get bored, we could always go and watch Everton play Fulham  in the newly formed Premier league of Englands remaining best-ish, teams, competition.

The big one for me, will be clubs releasing players for international duty, that may well be the biggest hurdle - if you're not in UEFA, then by default,you're not in FIFA, I guess?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2021, 04:31:59 pm »
Fifa there trying to leverage the players based off all they do for them and give them .....