Author Topic: UEFA League of Nations  (Read 76950 times)

Offline slidez

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: UEFA League of Nations
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2018, 09:15:45 pm »
If teams are given free places in the european championships, surely its better for teams to not be in division A so they have a fallback should they not qualify via normal means?

Similarly, if results in this go towards the fifa rankings, surely its better to throw the games in this one so you can be in a lower group for the next one and have easier games and so higher rankings?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2018, 09:29:18 pm »
If it lasts more than two goes I'd be surprised. Didn't realize the format will offer a path for the likes of the D teams to qualify.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:33:49 pm by rafathegaffa83 »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2018, 10:43:01 pm »
Be fucked with this, to be honest.

Fear not, Giggsy will sail you through serenely.

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 08:30:52 am »
Fear not, Giggsy will sail you through serenely.

Glass houses. Stones. etc ;)
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 11:37:22 am »
Sounds like a waste if time, even i'm confused by the format. :(
#Sausages

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:50 am »
Copenhagen all booked! Already can't wait the 226 days. Not that I'm counting...
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 11:53:07 am »
Glass houses. Stones. etc ;)

Gareth is a lovely family man (possibly?) and a man of vast managerial experience (a season or two at Boro?). Chalk and cheese.

Is this replacing Euro qualifiers then? Thought it was just some sort of weird Inter toto thing that no one would take seriously? What’s going on? I’d read the explanation that’s no doubt contained on page one but not sure I’m that desperate to try and get my head around it!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 11:54:06 am »
Gareth is a lovely family man (possibly?) and a man of vast managerial experience (a season or two at Boro?). Chalk and cheese.

Is this replacing Euro qualifiers then? Thought it was just some sort of weird Inter toto thing that no one would take seriously? What’s going on? I’d read the explanation that’s no doubt contained on page one but not sure I’m that desperate to try and get my head around it!

No, this will essentially replace friendlies. Qualifiers will still take place, this will just provide a further opportunity to qualify if you can't make it through the qualifiers.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 12:09:36 pm »
Qualifying without qualifying?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2018, 02:47:44 pm »
I can’t believe Blighty haughtily sat out the first few World Cups, European Cups and Euros - and now this is the one we choose to get in on the ground floor for.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 03:02:21 pm »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 01:13:16 pm »
Help. This is the most confusing thing in football.  :o  :o  :o  :o

Is this a new competition like the Confederations Cup? Is there a cup to be won at all or is this just to qualify for the Euros?

Or is this a new Euros format?

Or do the winners of the groups go to the Euros?

What about World Cup Qualifiers, are they replaced with this new league?

And if you win your group from League B-D then do you go to the semi finals and have a play off for a trophy or league championship?

And whose idea was it to put 3 teams in a group? Is it not normally 4?

And if England win this thing is it a major trophy so we don't have to be harping on about '66 all the time?

Offline murphs316

• Kopite
  • 5 Star Heros to 7 Hit Wonders
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2018, 03:38:31 pm »
Help. This is the most confusing thing in football.  :o  :o  :o  :o

Is this a new competition like the Confederations Cup? Is there a cup to be won at all or is this just to qualify for the Euros?

It is a New European thing but FIFA are looking at it for a world wide one. The teams in League A compete for a cup with the 4 group winners having a play off next summer 2019.

Or is this a new Euros format?

No but it replaces the play offs - for 2020 qualifiers there will be 10 groups with winners and runners up in each group going to the finals and then this will be used a play off so a team from each league will also make Euro 2020

Or do the winners of the groups go to the Euros?

No

What about World Cup Qualifiers, are they replaced with this new league?

Not yet to be confirmed how it will work with World Cup Qualifiers

And if you win your group from League B-D then do you go to the semi finals and have a play off for a trophy or league championship?

No you get promoted the league above, after the main qualifier groups the 4 best teams not already qualified from each league will compete in a semi-final / final playoff for a spot at 2020

And whose idea was it to put 3 teams in a group? Is it not normally 4?

This is so the bigger teams can still have friendly games V other non European nations

And if England win this thing is it a major trophy so we don't have to be harping on about '66 all the time?

Who knows what the English media will do
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 03:41:45 pm by murphs316 »

Offline HumanRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #53 on: February 1, 2018, 08:38:05 pm »

Thanks a lot mate, very clear and concise explanations!

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2018, 02:44:59 pm »
Finally got round to trying to understand the point of this competition in the forlorn hope that it cut down on qualifying, especially the pointless games against nations with a population no greater than a medium sized village. No such luck.

Groups of 5 or 6 drawn from all 55 European associations with 10 match days including 2 next June and then dates in September October and November.

A total waste of time.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2018, 06:38:39 pm »
I quite like the tournament. Better than all the pointless friendlies they had before.

For me the bottom 2 groups could be used as a pre qualifying tournament for the main qualifying so that there are less pointless games between the likes of France and Andorra.

Would make the qualifying more interesting as there would be less deadwood games and would make groups C and D more interesting.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2018, 05:50:39 am »
I quite like the tournament. Better than all the pointless friendlies they had before.

For me the bottom 2 groups could be used as a pre qualifying tournament for the main qualifying so that there are less pointless games between the likes of France and Andorra.

Would make the qualifying more interesting as there would be less deadwood games and would make groups C and D more interesting.

Agree completely. And these lower level qualifying tournaments could come in September, directly after a WC or Euro as they will ge composed of nations who did not compete in the final.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Last Edit: December 3, 2018, 02:17:19 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2019, 09:33:15 am »
This has nothing at all to do with the fact that Germany had been relegated. ::)

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2581669.html

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2019, 09:43:18 am »
Moreover, the number of competitive matches during the competition's league phase will increase from 138 to 162, thereby increasing the commercial value of the competition.

Yay
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2019, 10:23:31 am »
Fuck international football. It's rotten, and predominantly shite

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #61 on: September 3, 2020, 03:34:28 pm »
This thing starts again today... with a batch of truly awful looking games - Germany vs Spain apart.

UEFA League of Nations live matches on UK TV : https://www.live-footballontv.com/uefa-nations-league-on-tv.html (Sky actually want money for showing these matches!)

UEFA League of Nations matches shown live on TV stations around the world (+ great for IPTV etc) : www.livesoccertv.com/competitions/international/uefa-nations-league

Lots of stream sites & match highlights - and more info for the 2020/21 season : https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.0

^ aka the pinned 'Some useful info for following the football on tv (+ streams etc) for 2020/21' thread in the 'General Football and Sport' section of RAWK. :wave

For live scores, team line-ups, fixtures & results, tables, in-game comms, info, stats and more... : www.flashscore.co.uk/football/europe/uefa-nations-league

https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague : https://twitter.com/EURO2020 : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020%E2%80%9321_UEFA_Nations_League

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 06:45:34 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 3, 2020, 03:51:04 pm »
Wish they just banned international indefinitely for a couple of years. Would at least be one upside to this bastard virus then.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #63 on: September 3, 2020, 04:10:18 pm »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #64 on: September 3, 2020, 04:11:03 pm »
Genuinely ridiculous they've gone ahead with these games IMO.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #65 on: September 3, 2020, 04:32:27 pm »
Genuinely ridiculous they've gone ahead with these games IMO.

Just wait for the next international break, teams that are still involved in Euro 2021 qualifiers (like Scotland) will play three games in six days.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #66 on: September 3, 2020, 04:34:20 pm »
Thought the participant maps were quite interesting...

League A - Red
League B - Blue
League C - Green
League D - Yellow

2018-19:

2019-20:

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #67 on: September 3, 2020, 04:37:53 pm »
Joke of a format and a waste of time. I really wish they'd scrap half the international football calendar. Reduce the friendlies, make the qualification timetable shorter, and only have the respective federations' continental tournaments along with the world cup. Everything else is just space filler. I've not been excited by an England game since I was a young child.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Illmatic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 3, 2020, 06:07:46 pm »
Wish they just banned international indefinitely for a couple of years. Would at least be one upside to this bastard virus then.

Views like this are incredibly short sighted the game would be lost in many smaller countries without international football. Many smaller less well off nations wouldn't even be able keep game going at even a basic level with out the money generated from competitions like World Cup, Euros, AFCON etc.

Besides most players love playing for their country plus internationals attract huge audiences a significant amount of whom will only be casual followers of the sport but whom still generate significant revenues for national associations. A lot of the money is invested in grass route football. Most countries do not have huge football clubs with a global reach so the role of the national association in developing talent becomes more important.     
Nas is like the Afrocentric Asian, half-man, half-amazin

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 3, 2020, 06:16:42 pm »
Views like this are incredibly short sighted the game would be lost in many smaller countries without international football. Many smaller less well off nations wouldn't even be able keep game going at even a basic level with out the money generated from competitions like World Cup, Euros, AFCON etc.

Besides most players love playing for their country plus internationals attract huge audiences a significant amount of whom will only be casual followers of the sport but whom still generate significant revenues for national associations. A lot of the money is invested in grass route football. Most countries do not have huge football clubs with a global reach so the role of the national association in developing talent becomes more important.     

They need to start having the same window for all associations,it's a joke how they're run atm,beyond a joke when you have twats like AFCON acting out of pure greed.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #70 on: September 3, 2020, 06:42:35 pm »
Absolutely mad having this round of games, however I will be watching Germany v Spain tonight!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: September 3, 2020, 06:43:46 pm »
Latvia and Andorra have got us going with a belter.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #72 on: September 3, 2020, 06:56:21 pm »
Latvia and Andorra have got us going with a belter.

please tell me you watched it all  ;D

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #73 on: September 3, 2020, 07:02:02 pm »
please tell me you watched it all  ;D

It was an entertaining 0-0 tbf. Latvia were unfortunate not to win. They missed a pen and missed a few good chances as well. Andorra chaotically defended at times. It reminded me of a bottom of the table League One/Two game.  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #74 on: September 3, 2020, 07:14:13 pm »
What is wrong with you people?! Who is watching Latvia v Andorra? :D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 3, 2020, 07:17:33 pm »
Teams for the German vs Spain match:

Germany:
Trapp, Kehrer, Sule, Rudiger, Gosens, Sane, Draxler, Gundogan, Kroos, Can, Werner

Spain:
De Gea, Carvajal, Ramos, Pau Torres, Gaya, Busquets, Fabian, Thiago, Ferran Torres, Jesus Navas, Rodrigo

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 3, 2020, 07:18:51 pm »
Teams for the German vs Spain match:

Germany:
Trapp, Kehrer, Sule, Rudiger, Gosens, Sane, Draxler, Gundogan, Kroos, Can, Werner

Spain:
De Gea, Carvajal, Ramos, Pau Torres, Gaya, Busquets, Fabian, Thiago, Ferran Torres, Jesus Navas, Rodrigo

Heard a lot about this fellow recently and apparently we've been linked with him. Might keep an eye out for him tonight.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 3, 2020, 07:40:36 pm »
Heard a lot about this fellow recently and apparently we've been linked with him. Might keep an eye out for him tonight.

He's using us as a smokescreen so he can sign for United on £800,000pw + a £1m per game win bonus.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #78 on: September 3, 2020, 07:43:19 pm »
The German team forgetting about their anthem. 😀
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 3, 2020, 07:59:27 pm »
that was almost a rather embarassing moment for Sule and Kevin Trapp  ;D Got away with it though.