Author Topic: Adele  (Read 11529 times)

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Adele
« on: February 21, 2011, 07:46:09 pm »
At the risk of getting laughed off the forum, I just wanted to start a little thread about her. Was quite surprised there wasn't already a thread.

I think I've got a genuinely broad musical taste from Shostakovich to Saian Supa Crew to SquarePusher. From Nick Drake to Television to Gill Scott-Heron, but this girl who would probably be categorised by most as a chart act gets me every time I hear her sing.

Blessed with an incredible live voice, and at the age of just 22 has delivered, to me, an album of great songwriting craft that belies her years. She's only the second act in UK chart history to have to albums and two singles in the top 5.

I'm just catching up with TV that's been going on at home and saw her stunning performance at the BRITS (not something I'd normally indulge in - especially with James Corden presenting) and it reminded me of just how much I love her. Fuck your Cher Lloyds, Cheryl Coles, and all your other plinky-plonky boil-in-the-bag tv dinner no marks, this lass is the business.

Any other fans?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_Zs7XS3XUo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s_Zs7XS3XUo</a>

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Adele
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 07:48:48 pm »
If your reputation wasn't shattered before, it certainly will be after I type this...

I agree with you. She's brilliant.

Offline quinny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 08:04:54 pm »
I was afraid to start a thread about her, so thanks lfsea! Her Brits performance was outstanding, went straight to number 1 this week despite only being aired on Tuesday night. Bought tickets for her tour in September, been meaning to see her for a while but never bothered.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 08:07:39 pm »
Heard a lot of hoo-ha about that new song, wasnt overly impressed, next.

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 12:08:37 am »
Stunning voice
choose Life.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 12:44:50 am »

Love this song by her:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7SRulm3w3c?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-7SRulm3w3c?fs=1</a>

Great talent.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 12:51:28 am by Stussy »
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:48:09 am »
Hate most chart/pop songs these days but she's the one I've been taking notice of recently, proper talent.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 12:55:05 am »
Love this song by her:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7SRulm3w3c?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-7SRulm3w3c?fs=1</a>

Great talent.

yes! very good

and this
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rYEDA3JcQqw?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rYEDA3JcQqw?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 12:56:35 am »
She has a great voice, definite talent.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 01:00:51 am »
She's a good singer, but her speaking voice goes through me. Sounds like a fat, cockney, chav slag. Then again, that's unsuprising as she's a fat, cockney, chav slag.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 01:00:54 am »
Modern day Dusty Springfield, she's got soul.

Oh and I would ;D
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 01:02:30 am »
Really like her. Her performance at the Brits last week was awesome. I have a thing for gingers too.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline NeoAdjuvant

• Kopite
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 03:09:43 am »
She's brilliant.

Best tune is Hometown Glory. Got a remix of it by 'High Contrast' on me iPod. If you haven't heard it - hear it.
But like the jet engine, there's sadly very little this country does better than having the raw materials to do something truly amazing that would benefit the whole of society only to piss it away due to a total lack of long term thinking and/or suspicion of anything European.

Offline Jokerman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 03:29:34 am »
As pop singers go she's one of the better ones, though that's not saying much. I don't really find anything interesting about her or her music though.
How come Aquilani wasn't in the squad today?

Solving the drought in East Africa with his fancy flicks.

Offline Zend...en the clowns

• Legacy Fan
  • Likes BBQ sauce a bit too much..
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 05:08:56 am »
Heard a lot of hoo-ha about that new song, wasnt overly impressed, next.

Jesus, what an absolute twattish comment to post. Anything gained by writing off the ability and talent of someone so quickly?

Great lyrics, soul and meaning. Her album is probably the best solo album i've heard since back to black..
He posts in the day, he posts in the niiiiiiggghht,
That Zend...en the clowns, his timings just right.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 07:05:33 am »
Jesus, what an absolute twattish comment to post. Anything gained by writing off the ability and talent of someone so quickly?

Great lyrics, soul and meaning. Her album is probably the best solo album i've heard since back to black..

Opinions eh.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:07:43 am »
Modern day Dusty Springfield, she's got soul.

Oh and I would ;D
I know another who posts quite regularly on this forum who's quite partial to a fat wap with red hair.

Great voice though....no, not L6, Adele.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 10:56:10 am »
I know another who posts quite regularly on this forum who's quite partial to a fat wap with red hair.

Great voice though....no, not L6, Adele.
Me an all, as I posted in the what reminds you of rawk thread -

;)
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 11:54:36 am »
Dan, I know where "someone like you" took you.

Incredible voice and an amazing talent.

Offline Anything Will Do

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 11:58:56 am »
She's brilliant, got a great voice, and some of her lyrics are great. Does she write her own songs?

Offline Songs to Sing

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Hold your head up high He made the people happy
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 12:42:58 pm »
-Rafael Benitez 03/06/2010: "Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone." No, thank you, you wondeful, humble, gracious man. You fought for us for years and won't be forgotten.-
The 5th Benitle

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 07:08:18 pm »
At the risk of getting laughed off the forum, I just wanted to start a little thread about her. Was quite surprised there wasn't already a thread.

I think I've got a genuinely broad musical taste from Shostakovich to Saian Supa Crew to SquarePusher. From Nick Drake to Television to Gill Scott-Heron, but this girl who would probably be categorised by most as a chart act gets me every time I hear her sing.

Blessed with an incredible live voice, and at the age of just 22 has delivered, to me, an album of great songwriting craft that belies her years. She's only the second act in UK chart history to have to albums and two singles in the top 5.

I'm just catching up with TV that's been going on at home and saw her stunning performance at the BRITS (not something I'd normally indulge in - especially with James Corden presenting) and it reminded me of just how much I love her. Fuck your Cher Lloyds, Cheryl Coles, and all your other plinky-plonky boil-in-the-bag tv dinner no marks, this lass is the business.

Any other fans?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s_Zs7XS3XUo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s_Zs7XS3XUo</a>

I could have written that exact post mate, I heard 'Something like you' yesterday and after already liking 'Rolling in the deep' I went and got the album and basically haven't stopped listening to it, think it will go down as a great, it's that good

Only saw the Brit performance yesterday too and give Corden his credit, he 'got it' and gave it the praise it deserved. Has there been a better live performance on the Brits or anywhere else for that matter for a while?

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2011, 07:46:35 pm »

Hope you are talking about best solo pop album here

Listened to her new album. It's pretty good but there isn't much depth to it. Good solid pop album but certainly nothing about it to make it stand out.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2011, 09:57:30 pm »
Great voice. Bought the album yesterday...enjoying it.

Offline Visigoth33

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2011, 10:32:05 pm »
she is a proper talent & singer who does her thing without weird outfits & controversial videos.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2011, 10:40:52 pm »
She reminds me a bit of a younger Alison Moyet, not so much in her singing style, but definitely in the singing ability stakes.
She certainly seems very good, although I could do without the strange spoken accent.
Usually (though not always foolproof) it's a good sign if Jules Holland likes someone well enough to plonk along behind them.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2011, 10:44:11 pm »
think i'll get this album for the wife for her birthday. not my usual taste but rolling in the deep is a cracking song.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2011, 11:02:09 am »
Anyone know the best place to get tickets for her? I'd like to take the mrs

Tried ticketmaster but the sight is crap

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2011, 11:23:35 am »
Anyone who is a fan should listen to the radio one live session she did. Outstanding.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/sessions/2011-01-27_adeleliveloungespecial

Offline sisterbliss

• Legacy Fan
  • Out now The Goodison Persecution Complex
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2011, 11:42:18 am »
Bags of talent with a lovely voice too, apparently she penned her first song when she was only 16.  I remember hearing her live on the Live Lounge and without doubt the girl overtly oozes raw talent.
Try to sit on the fence and you're quickly exposed as a fraud, hiding your true feelings but fooling no one.

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 12:13:41 pm »
Probably an idea to get a pair of reading glasses then.
:lmao

Offline Jimmy10Men

• Legacy Fan
  • California......Here we come!
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 12:20:03 pm »
Adele is phenomenal. There. I've said it.

Offline Skuzzlebutt

• Legacy Fan
  • Hulk share opinion!!
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 12:55:41 pm »
She's brilliant.  Just bought a couple of her songs on iTunes yesterday and she's is incredible, writes all her own material too.  Very talented girl.
We're gonna win the league-omiter

[00.........................................................]

V5. 2013 edition.  Optimism levels rusted solid.  We're givin' her all she's got Captain!!!

Offline cevans16

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 01:09:43 pm »
Awesome!
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 01:18:56 pm »
She's a true star amongst all the autotuned crap we are fed these days.It's just a pity that some people prejudge her and write her off all because she doesn't conform to the stereotypical stick thin,over hyped singers like Cheryl cole,Lady gaga,rihanna etc

I don't usually like her type of music but her voice just makes you want to listen.She very nearly ended up moving to Liverpool to attend LIPA.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 01:20:14 pm »
I downloaded 21 the other day. I'm really not sure about it yet (although Someone Like You is boss), I think maybe I prefer 19.

Offline djphal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 05:13:38 pm »
Probably an idea to get a pair of reading glasses then.

Hahaha oops!!

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 07:30:38 pm »
Adele: An Unforgettable Voice, Timeless At 22

Courtesy of Sony Music
Adele's new album is 21.

February 16, 2011
British singer Adele arrived on the world stage three years ago with her debut album, 19. Now, two Grammy Awards and millions of records sold later, she's out with her second release, 21. Adele herself is now 22, but her powerhouse voice and '60s glam look — hair sleek and teased up high, fake eyelashes out to there — belie her young age.

The new album is a set of songs steeped in the singer's love for American soul and R&B. As Adele tells All Things Considered host Melissa Block, she traces that love back to a happy accident in a London record store.

"I saw the most stunning woman I've ever seen in my life," Adele says. "She had this beehive weave, and these catty eyes, and this seductive figure, and this look on her face, like, 'Don't mess with me.' "

That woman was Etta James, though not in the flesh — Adele had stumbled upon a compilation of the soul icon's greatest hits in a bargain bin. When she finally listened to James' music sometime later, Adele says she may as well have been standing face to face with the legend herself.

"She went right through me — it was the first time that I'd ever been so moved by someone's voice," Adele says. "It was like she was singing a song that was written for me, about me, 50 years after she recorded it."

Before that revelation, Adele's music preferences were about what you'd expect of a teenager: The Spice Girls, The Backstreet Boys, a few British boy bands. She describes her mother's taste at the time as "brilliant" but says she took a while warming up to it.

"You're not supposed to like what your parents like, so I was a little dismissive of it," Adele says. In time, though, it was her mother's love of songwriters like Jeff Buckley, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell and Janis Joplin that made her want to become a singer herself.

At 22, Adele has already had more success than many performers twice her age. For the moment, she says she's satisfied with it.

"I could die and go to heaven right now," Adele says. Asked whether she aspires to the kind of lifelong career her idol Etta James enjoyed, she replies, "I'd love to, but it's pretty unlikely. There might not even be a music industry next year."

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/16/133814213/adele-an-unforgettable-voice-timeless-at-22

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Yes I think this lass has some talent, but  It's not like when Alison Moyet first broke on the scene. Now that was a voice (then) !
I find Adele a little throaty not enough diaphragm and resonance.

If you like Adele check out http://www.vevo.com/watch/adele/rolling-in-the-deep/GB1411000094   ( there's a short  ad  just before the video)
Finally, here's a link to another NPR article that links to 21 in its entirety. http://www.npr.org/2011/02/15/133496838/first-listen-adele-21

Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 09:33:35 pm »
Just fantastic.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2011, 12:57:17 pm »
Superb singer, and her performance at the Brits was top notch.
I'd love to see all the other hyped up shite do a live performance like that.