Author Topic: Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency  (Read 199163 times)

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Bitcoin
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2015, 09:54:14 am »
I'm interested in this but don't understand how it works and how to make money from it?
The value of 1 bitcoin fluctuates so its similar to buying stock from my understanding.
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2015, 12:39:15 pm »
That's a bold statement. For example, I'm in New York at the moment and I've used my credit card to pay for the hotel bill, for meals, cash advances, store purchases, rail tickets. How exactly would bitcoin be a more credible alternative?
It will take time Al, no doubt about it. It cannot do this overnight.
Disruptive technologies move rapidly though, so think about decentralised currencies as you would social media & mobile phones. It is unfathomable to think how far they have come since 2005. The internet of things is next up, and I've no idea how IOT & Bitcoin could be used together, but there are so many possibilities considering IOT designers and early adopters are the same types of people that are likely to adopt Bitcoin.

so on to your question. In store purchases typically require the consumer to have a card and the shopkeeper to have a scanner & register. This whole process is going to be turned upside down within 5-10 years imo. I already see so many cafe's these days using tablets at POS. Where there are tablets, there is the internet, so it's easy for developers to release api's to enable Bitcoin to work with all kinds of POS software, which undoubtedly run on android and ios.

From the customer's point of view, we are used to having money & cards. But this will begin changing too as people (initially internet natives) use their RFC phones for transactions. Sure if they have an phone with a barcode/scanner, they don't even need a cash register, they can simply scan, purchase and leave. I'm going to lump couponing & loyalty schemes in there too, as they will increasingly be used in phones, such as Wallet that i believe is available for quite a while on IOS.

There are a lot of websites, cafe's and so forth who are currently selling their products and services much cheaper if the consumer uses bitcoin. I've seen cafe's & clothes shops promote this fact, heck even a Tesla car was bought using them. 

There are 2 reasons for items being cheaper:
1. No merchant fees. So it is considerably cheaper to sell via bitcoin as I said earlier.
2. The shop owners want to invest in bitcoins, as they will no doubtedly increase in value.

Will Bitcoin replace Visa & Mastercard?
No, I don't think so. We will use both due to the advantages and disadvantages of both.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2015, 12:40:39 pm »
The value of 1 bitcoin fluctuates so its similar to buying stock from my understanding.
exactly, or buying currencies. However, it will in time steady up.

Offline Ronnie1932

• Feels like John Holmes.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #203 on: December 16, 2015, 01:12:28 pm »
Conman do you own some?

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #204 on: May 22, 2017, 04:59:26 pm »
I just plonked some down on Ethereum. It's basically Bitcoin 2.0: blockchain technology, but with a lot more utility and can be used as the basis for its own apps and platforms. The value has gone up from like $20 to $186 in a month. They announced a list of partner corporations last night that's 86 companies strong and includes Microsoft, Toyota and Merck, a number of trillion dollar hedge funds...

I've never invested in anything before, so let's see how this goes!
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2017, 02:43:52 pm »
I just plonked some down on Ethereum. It's basically Bitcoin 2.0: blockchain technology, but with a lot more utility and can be used as the basis for its own apps and platforms. The value has gone up from like $20 to $186 in a month. They announced a list of partner corporations last night that's 86 companies strong and includes Microsoft, Toyota and Merck, a number of trillion dollar hedge funds...

How did you do this?

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: May 23, 2017, 02:58:04 pm »

Bought £3.5k 2 weeks ago. WAHOO!!!!

Offline jammy dodger

• Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #207 on: May 23, 2017, 04:29:15 pm »
You are sittin' pretty, man!

I am just a layman, but having read deeply through all of the potential applications, I actually think Ethereum will be huge in a couple of years. Having never bought anything resembling stock before, I spent yesterday glued to the crytpomarkets like a goober, but I plan to sit on these for as long as I can hold out.

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2017, 04:44:49 pm »
I recently setup a Plus500 account. Made a few quid on Ethereum so far.
We're the kings of Europe, the pride of Merseyside, we'll fight for no surrender, we'll fight for Shankly's pride.

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2017, 05:30:08 pm »
You are sittin' pretty, man!

I am just a layman, but having read deeply through all of the potential applications, I actually think Ethereum will be huge in a couple of years. Having never bought anything resembling stock before, I spent yesterday glued to the crytpomarkets like a goober, but I plan to sit on these for as long as I can hold out.

what site did you use to buy it? I've only been using Plus500, so only buying a CFD, not the real deal
We're the kings of Europe, the pride of Merseyside, we'll fight for no surrender, we'll fight for Shankly's pride.

Offline jammy dodger

• Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #210 on: May 23, 2017, 07:52:14 pm »
I used Coinbase. I hear people in EU use Kraken.

Lfsea: Other risks include hacks and potential friction with government agencies. But for the most part it looks like major financial institutions and even governmental agencies are willing to give blockchain a try, and it only makes sense that it'll be ethereum many of them go with, because bitcoin has no functionality other than being a currency. Ethereum applies blockchain sequence technology to anything...from banking to cloud supercomputing to supply chain management for mega--corporations, that's why I'm so jazzed about it -- If bitcoin can reach 2k with limited functionality, the potential for Ethereum in the next 2-3 years is really endless.

Then again, keep in mind: ---> I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING <--- about stock markets or investing, but it's fun to have some skin in the game of what really might be the next big thing in many fields...some are calling it Internet 3.0.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 23, 2017, 10:47:04 pm »
Blockchain is da future.

It'll make a lot of white collar jobs obsolete too.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline mattybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2017, 10:43:25 am »
Think I'm going to try Kraken. Coinbase just has problems with their adding of credit cards.

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2017, 11:37:49 am »
Yes I have setup a Coinbase account just now, trying to add my Credit card and keeps saying failed :(

Offline mattybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2017, 11:29:17 am »
Coinbase is just terrible, now saying card issuer is declining when it's quite clearly never getting near my bank.

I had money ready to invest 48 hours ago and I'm watching the market, crying!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2017, 11:57:07 am »
Coinbase is just terrible, now saying card issuer is declining when it's quite clearly never getting near my bank.

I had money ready to invest 48 hours ago and I'm watching the market, crying!

Exactly the same.

Kraken isn't being much better either. Site appears to be up/down a lot today (especially the member side of things) and is taking an age to become verified so I can add funds to the account.

Think I've missed out on around £1500 profit so far given the level I was looking to invest  :no

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2017, 12:07:45 pm »
Same, I registered with Kraken yesterday, uploaded ID etc not heard anything. Everytime I log in takes an age and continually getting errors.

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2017, 12:15:04 pm »
I have just jumped on this bandwagon using the app plus500

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »
Plus500 you are only buying a CFD which expires daily.

Offline mabbympb

• Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2017, 12:20:26 pm »
Looks like their rates are a bit higher but seem to be a far more professional and easy to use outfit.

I have absolutely no idea what I am doing (insert David Moyes pic), but I have been monitoring the value against the pound since yesterday and I have had to invest what I am prepared to lose. 

Offline mabbympb

• Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2017, 12:22:04 pm »
Bought £3.5k 2 weeks ago. WAHOO!!!!

If this is true I would love to know what that is worth now! You must be able to buy a Maldive right about now?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2017, 12:27:55 pm »
If this is true I would love to know what that is worth now! You must be able to buy a Maldive right about now?

Well assuming he got them for around the £69 mark which is what they were going for on the 11th, he'd have got approx 50 Eth.

At today's value of around £154 that would give them a value of £7,700. So a £4,200 profit.

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2017, 12:35:36 pm »
Plus500 you are only buying a CFD which expires daily.

What site can I use that actually works then ha.

Kraken and Coinbase both have issues it seems!

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2017, 12:45:21 pm »
I've tried to register multiple cards to my Coinbase account but keep getting this error:

We were unable to verify your card. The following error was returned: The card issuer declined the charge

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2017, 12:48:11 pm »
Is it just that there is too much demand for them to handle it at present?
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2017, 12:52:05 pm »
For Kraken we only need to be tier 1 verified right? Just submitted my information so hopefully doesn't take too long. Looking to invest around £2000 in Ethereum, having read into it online seems like it should give a decent return within the next year or so

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2017, 01:02:18 pm »
I've gone on and setup my  NatWest account with Coinbase. I have had to send a small deposit across via IBAN to verify the account, that will take around 3-4 days. I should then be able to use that account to transfer more money in. NatWest charge £10 a time to do this, and give a shite rate GBP/EUR.

JRC_ - my basic understanding is that tier 1 only allows you to trade in "virtual" currency. To be able to buy Ethereum using GBP sterling you will need tier 2

Offline mabbympb

• Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2017, 01:14:19 pm »
Is it just that there is too much demand for them to handle it at present?

Possible, wouldn't work for me either. Are there any other safe options?

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2017, 01:19:18 pm »
JRC_ - my basic understanding is that tier 1 only allows you to trade in "virtual" currency. To be able to buy Ethereum using GBP sterling you will need tier 2

Ahh yer that looks right, only need to send over proof of address so hopefully won't take too long for them to sort

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #229 on: May 25, 2017, 01:27:25 pm »
Ahh yer that looks right, only need to send over proof of address so hopefully won't take too long for them to sort

Did it yesterday and still no word.

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: May 25, 2017, 01:54:06 pm »
Phoned my credit card provider and no trace of any attempt to use the card/authorise any payments. Would make me think that route just isn't working. Lets see if I have any more luck using IBAN

Offline mattybeard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #231 on: May 25, 2017, 01:55:03 pm »
For Kraken we only need to be tier 1 verified right? Just submitted my information so hopefully doesn't take too long. Looking to invest around £2000 in Ethereum, having read into it online seems like it should give a decent return within the next year or so

48 hours and counting.

Offline mabbympb

• Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #232 on: May 25, 2017, 01:55:32 pm »
I have tried signing up and the site keeps coming up with 'host error'.

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #233 on: May 25, 2017, 03:47:09 pm »
Here's a different site but they're more expensive on here....

https://cryptomate.co.uk/buy-ethereum/

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2017, 04:03:16 pm »
By the time you have f**ked about changing £ in to Euros on Coinbase, that site above looks quite appealing!

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2017, 04:08:10 pm »
By the time you have f**ked about changing £ in to Euros on Coinbase, that site above looks quite appealing!

I'm still a novice to it all but have spent a fair bit of time looking into it today. So with the above site, you need to download a wallet (which I assume is free) then buy however much you want and then the site will transfer it into your wallet. That right?

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2017, 04:12:58 pm »
Thats correct. If you setup a Coinbase account, it gives you an ETH wallet. That wallet then has an address that you give to the above site to sent the ETH to.

You need to get verified as the max purchase without looks like £100. I have just tried to do this, uploaded my ID and proof of address. Lets see what happens!

The Coinbase account will then allow you to sell the ETH in the future, should you wish.

Offline JRC_

• Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2017, 04:15:23 pm »
Thats correct. If you setup a Coinbase account, it gives you an ETH wallet. That wallet then has an address that you give to the above site to sent the ETH to.

You need to get verified as the max purchase without looks like £100. I have just tried to do this, uploaded my ID and proof of address. Lets see what happens!

The Coinbase account will then allow you to sell the ETH in the future, should you wish.

Ok cool, thanks for the info, let me know how it goes please!

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2017, 05:22:01 pm »
Just looking into this and was wondering what people's thoughts are on Ripple?

I would be hesitant to invest in something with a substantial share price already (even though it might still have a big upside), but noticed that Ripple is still trading very cheaply?
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2017, 07:55:32 am »
Had my bank account verified by Coinbase and just made my first purchase of ETH. 🙂