Author Topic: Curtis Jones  (Read 571002 times)

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Curtis Jones
« Reply #3000 on: January 20, 2022, 10:19:49 pm »
He does have nearly everything to be one of the better CMs in Europe, still a lot to come from him also.

Offline FowlerLegend

• Kopite
« Reply #3001 on: January 20, 2022, 10:26:55 pm »
Terrific performance tonight. Really impressed with his defensive performance, very promising.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3002 on: January 20, 2022, 10:27:52 pm »
Really love watching him - he’s silky
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3003 on: January 20, 2022, 10:29:08 pm »
A superb protector of the football, whilst being very capable of creating dangerous situations. A fantastic combination which should see him be a fixture in the first team squad for 10/12 years.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3004 on: January 20, 2022, 11:02:04 pm »
that's just a glimpse of what he'll become, in terms of keeping the ball, there isn't many better in the league
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3005 on: January 20, 2022, 11:31:34 pm »
He really does hide the ball from the opposing player incredibly well. Was nice to see him drive a bit more with it too.

Offline Red-4-Ever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3006 on: January 20, 2022, 11:50:33 pm »
I'm a big fan of Curtis and really look forward to watching his progress with the Reds over the coming years.

Offline dangerpuss

• A bit like bagpuss. But more.....um.....dangerous.....um.....
  • Kopite
  • Allez, allez, allez
« Reply #3007 on: January 20, 2022, 11:53:07 pm »
Great performance. One thing I like about him is that he is pretty much two footed which is a massive advantage in centre midfield.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3008 on: January 21, 2022, 12:00:45 am »
Once he perfects when to release the ball and when to hold onto it, he'll be unplayable this lad.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3009 on: January 21, 2022, 12:28:34 am »
Curtis Jones is going to be my next favourite player, for years.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3010 on: January 21, 2022, 03:27:58 am »
Really impressed with him last night. Great off the ball in particular. Very encouraging.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3011 on: January 21, 2022, 06:57:39 am »
That's more like it lad.

Offline LFC_NCL

• Main Stander
« Reply #3012 on: January 21, 2022, 07:54:21 am »
very mature performance, and he is looking really comfortable when playing with the first team, seems to have bulked up a bit too. Love him

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3013 on: January 21, 2022, 08:55:45 am »
His ball control and little take-ons to beat the press reminded me of Gini at his best.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3014 on: January 21, 2022, 09:15:04 am »
Great game last night.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3015 on: January 21, 2022, 09:17:58 am »
very mature performance, and he is looking really comfortable when playing with the first team, seems to have bulked up a bit too. Love him

He seems to have gone through the same growing stage as Gerrard at the same age - not comparing ability, just physicality.

It'll be an interesting end of the season for him.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #3016 on: January 21, 2022, 09:18:05 am »
Yep feels like he’s got so much more to give. I think he’s slightly holding himself back to ensure he plays in the way the manager wants but give him another year or two and he’s going to be a fantastic player for us.
Agree, but we have to remember the context of the game. First we were under a lot of pressure, and then we were in the lead for the rest of the game. Playing composed and safely was the right thing to do. If Arsenal would have scored first, he would have had to play differently

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3017 on: January 21, 2022, 09:18:58 am »
Any gifs of those two or three occasions when he let the ball run past him and turned on a sixpense to hare after it, leaving his marker wondering about his life choices?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3018 on: January 21, 2022, 09:19:53 am »
The play himself out of trouble is the crucial bit. He has the ability. He just needs to use it more and then learn when and where to use it. He did that really well for the most part against Arsenal. Real quality performance.

The thing is he can't do that more or regularly when most teams we face like to put 10 men in their box against us. They're not bothered to press as they know we have the players to beat them anyway. Southampton did it and got smashed. Arsenal did it and were out-thought, out-fought and beaten anyway. Brighton did it only after they got a fluke goal and gained confidence.

But he could show this in the big Champions League games, especially the Away games which could be challenging in the middle of the park.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3019 on: January 21, 2022, 09:24:36 am »
He seems to have gone through the same growing stage as Gerrard at the same age - not comparing ability, just physicality.

It'll be an interesting end of the season for him.

He may have but he’s got another stage to go with this, he’s not as strong or as assertive as his size yet… so easy to forget he’s 20  - in a couple of years his size and technique will make it borderline in possible to get the ball from him

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #3020 on: January 21, 2022, 09:27:45 am »
Any gifs of those two or three occasions when he let the ball run past him and turned on a sixpense to hare after it, leaving his marker wondering about his life choices?

When we were under the cosh (a bit) in the first 20, it was his turns into space that let us get out of the press headlock Arsenal had us in. Was really impressive.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3021 on: January 21, 2022, 09:36:58 am »
When we were under the cosh (a bit) in the first 20, it was his turns into space that let us get out of the press headlock Arsenal had us in. Was really impressive.

This is it - there's a moment not long after the goal where he just drops his shoulder and we're in running at their back four. Nothing comes of it but that's the kind of thing he can do effortlessly. Porto away was the best demonstration of it. He also quietly does a good job of filling the spaces that need filled when he's on form - I guess that's the key to him getting consistently selected really.

The old favourite with Wijnaldum used to be: 'I just don't see it'. There was a fair bit of it on Twitter last night (I hate Twitter, but it's the transfer window). Now it's Jones: 'I just don't see it'. (The common denominator is the 'I just don't see it', or more specifically the 'I'.)

The other thing, apropos of not a lot, that I love about him, is the way he clears the 2nd ball from a headed clearance on a corner. His technique on those volleys is delicious.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #3022 on: January 21, 2022, 09:43:58 am »
This is it - there's a moment not long after the goal where he just drops his shoulder and we're in running at their back four. Nothing comes of it but that's the kind of thing he can do effortlessly. Porto away was the best demonstration of it. He also quietly does a good job of filling the spaces that need filled when he's on form - I guess that's the key to him getting consistently selected really.

That and option taking in the final third. He knows it too, you see him visibly angry with himself a couple of times last night when his touch wasn't right or his pass was short and he was picked off when he/we were in great attacking positions. Seems harsh to judge him on all these aspects but why not? It is clear as day he is close to being the full package.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3023 on: January 21, 2022, 09:45:50 am »
Excellent last night. His ball retention was fantastic.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3024 on: January 21, 2022, 09:47:03 am »
He's got a good burst of pace as well hasn't he? Massive talent we've got on our hands there.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3025 on: January 21, 2022, 10:20:28 am »
Hats off to the lad as that was more like the glimpses he gave us last season. Cool under pressure, can glide by a defender and always looking to see what is on ahead of him. Never afraid to think about shooting or bursting into space which is a lovely asset to have in our side when we face two banks of defenders. Got to break the lines to get some chaos and more of that please as himself, Harvey and Fab midfield trio next season could be the way forward plus the genius Trent that keeps on giving with his Hoddle like passes.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3026 on: January 21, 2022, 10:29:05 am »
He may have but he’s got another stage to go with this, he’s not as strong or as assertive as his size yet… so easy to forget he’s 20  - in a couple of years his size and technique will make it borderline in possible to get the ball from him

For some reason keep on thinking he is older than 20 - probably because Trent at the same age still had a baby face.

Offline na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3027 on: January 21, 2022, 10:52:02 am »
Brilliant performance, commands respect on the ball

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3028 on: January 21, 2022, 10:57:15 am »
Him and Elliott could run our midfield for a decade.

Offline ac

• Headless chicken
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3029 on: January 21, 2022, 11:39:59 am »
Good performance last night but I think he can use his dribbling ability more. Interesting bit on Curtis from Klopp in his press conference today. He suggests Curtis recent form is in part a response to a "push" he has recieved. Klopp clearly gave Curtis a bit of a talking to in the Brentford game so perhaps that what he was referring to.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3030 on: January 21, 2022, 11:47:59 am »
Curtis and Fabinho absolutely dominated the midfield last night, they were so good. Fabinho cleaning everything up and Jones driving the ball forward

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3031 on: January 21, 2022, 11:54:06 am »
Amazing performance. Feel like we've been waiting for ages for Curtis to properly 'announce' himself to the world but I think that entire performance was a real showcase of what he offers. He's had great moments of quality in other games, but all round he was class yesterday. Excited for his future.
YNWA.

Offline Phineus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3032 on: January 21, 2022, 11:58:53 am »
He's going to be very, very good.

He's over-thinking stuff when getting near the box I think, but as people say he's only 20 so that will come... he has a great shot on him, when he starts getting more decisive and taking those chances he'll go up a level.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3033 on: January 21, 2022, 12:03:57 pm »
The thing is he can't do that more or regularly when most teams we face like to put 10 men in their box against us. They're not bothered to press as they know we have the players to beat them anyway. Southampton did it and got smashed. Arsenal did it and were out-thought, out-fought and beaten anyway. Brighton did it only after they got a fluke goal and gained confidence.

But he could show this in the big Champions League games, especially the Away games which could be challenging in the middle of the park.

I get that. I think he can and should commit players more often when we are up against the park the bus teams.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #3034 on: January 21, 2022, 01:46:36 pm »
He's going to be very, very good.

He's over-thinking stuff when getting near the box I think, but as people say he's only 20 so that will come... he has a great shot on him, when he starts getting more decisive and taking those chances he'll go up a level.

When he was coming up un the younger age groups he scored quite regularly, cutting in from that left hand side position. I don't want to say it has been coached out of him, but as you get to a higher level you need to be more careful with the ball perhaps. He's got it in his locker, we know that.

He's a fucking gem this kid.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3035 on: January 21, 2022, 02:00:15 pm »

The old favourite with Wijnaldum used to be: 'I just don't see it'. There was a fair bit of it on Twitter last night (I hate Twitter, but it's the transfer window). Now it's Jones: 'I just don't see it'. (The common denominator is the 'I just don't see it', or more specifically the 'I'.)

The other thing, apropos of not a lot, that I love about him, is the way he clears the 2nd ball from a headed clearance on a corner. His technique on those volleys is delicious.

Yes! It happened 2 or 3 times last night. A lot of players slash at those and create panic and an awkward spinning, looping ball
Nah.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #3036 on: January 21, 2022, 02:07:31 pm »
If it wasn’t for Diogo’s unreal performance he would had got my motm. He was utterly magnificent, his close control and composure in close quarters was just a joy to behold, but his ability to generate himself some space on the ball, and the acceleration to exploit those openings was what surprised me the most. Arsenal players couldn’t get near him and he was gliding on the pitch at times. His pressing was really good too, a bit over enthusiastic at times but still really good; And his distribution, while not eye catching, was really smart and efficient. Overall a magnificent performance from a young player that we should have had used more this season, he earned with his performance last year, but hopefully we do onwards.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #3037 on: January 21, 2022, 03:20:56 pm »
When Steven Gerrard was younger he had holes in his game that the likes of Gerard Houllier helped address, Curtis feels very much like that, a lad that could go one way (Deli Ali, Jordan Ibe) or another (Steven Gerrard, Kevin De Bruyne) because he has the ability but now needs to channel that ability using maturity and experience. I think, because Jurgen will oversee his next period then that will be positive, much like Trent has developed into one of the best players in the world right on our doorstep with us really appreciating just how hard that is for a young lad.

I think Harvey will be next and there's plenty of time for Neco, Tyler and Kaide as well to follow that route although Curtis feels special and already a fixture in any match day squad.

Anthony Gordon at Everton is another local prospect but that may depend upon who has influence over him, that's more of a problem and also none of our concern really.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3038 on: January 21, 2022, 03:24:24 pm »
I feel like Dele Alli would probably object to being compared to Jordan Ibe ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3039 on: January 21, 2022, 03:29:06 pm »
I feel like Dele Alli would probably object to being compared to Jordan Ibe ;D
One of them has no chance of winning a cup, and the other is Jordan Ibe
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D