Author Topic: Television buying  (Read 370309 times)

Offline kev78

• Legacy Fan
  • Deep Shit
Re: High Definition TVs
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2006, 01:53:21 pm »
Will be keeping an eye on this thread as I'm saving up for a new tv at the moment.

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2006, 12:07:25 am »
According to a guy I know who works in distribution of AV equipment, price of bog-standard (i.e. non-HD) plasma TVs will fall a lot after the world cup. Loads of extra being brought by distributors for renting to pubs, businesses etc - but then will just be excess stuff floating about all over come mid-July.

Don't know how true it all is, but the guy is very senior in one of the major AV distributors.

But he reckons HD is well worth it anyway.
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

hoonin

« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2006, 02:08:26 pm »
Someone sent me this today. A very interesting read, even if it is a biot geeky and techno babbel at times.

http://www.hdtvexpert.com/pages_b/reality.html

Quite pleased I took my TV back in the end. Just wasnt really happy with it.

Offline rob76

• Kopite
  • foxx il- united!!
« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2006, 05:04:58 pm »
nice read there Gareth.

That article also touches on the importance of high frame rates that was being discussed in the Mac thread the other day.

hoonin

« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2006, 08:02:45 pm »
Mac? What is 'Mac'?

Offline Tim

• Make that an umbrella in my Breezer. Jimmy Anderson's stunt double.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »
This seems to be quite a knowledgable thread. Me mum's just informed me that she wants to get a new telly. I don't think she'll wanna go for some of the prices bandied about like, probably more around the £800 mark I think. I don't really know what that will get but it will be better than the one we've got now. Looking at around 42" in size. I'm not up on my telly's really and I've had a little look on that AV forums. I just wanna know what's best plasma or LCD for that size and what makes to go for or to avoid.

Ta!

:wave
If you're going to sign up on Betfair please use my code N4TFVF4PK

We'll both get £20

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2006, 07:21:29 pm »
This seems to be quite a knowledgable thread. Me mum's just informed me that she wants to get a new telly. I don't think she'll wanna go for some of the prices bandied about like, probably more around the £800 mark I think. I don't really know what that will get but it will be better than the one we've got now. Looking at around 42" in size. I'm not up on my telly's really and I've had a little look on that AV forums. I just wanna know what's best plasma or LCD for that size and what makes to go for or to avoid.

Ta!

To be honest,for £800 I'm not so sure you are going to get anything that size that you would be completely happy with.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Joby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Glad he got the rebound
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2006, 10:50:38 pm »
To be honest,for £800 I'm not so sure you are going to get anything that size that you would be completely happy with.

Old Panasonic (non-HD) from Richer Sounds?
"The secret is that Liverpool are as strong as a pine cone"

Xabi Alonso

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2006, 11:17:18 pm »
Old Panasonic (non-HD) from Richer Sounds?

There's nowt wrong with the TV but it's a lot of money for old technology that they may want to replace with the advent of HD.It all depends exactly what people want.

Id people don't want HD and space is not a premium then I would advise in getting a 36" CRT.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2006, 11:47:45 pm »
There's nowt wrong with the TV but it's a lot of money for old technology that they may want to replace with the advent of HD.It all depends exactly what people want.

Id people don't want HD and space is not a premium then I would advise in getting a 36" CRT.

Agreed, although finding a good spec CRT is becoming increasingly difficult

Offline Tim

• Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #170 on: April 27, 2006, 12:04:50 am »

I shall tell her to spend some more cash then.

;D

We'll both get £20

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 4, 2006, 02:48:01 pm »
Actually getting my arse into gear now. Just been to Currys and Comet and had a look at:

Pioneer PDP436SXE 43  and the  Panasonic Viera TH42PX60.

I prefer the look of the Pioneer personally, but may be swayed by the Panasonic.

I know its high st stuff and I could prob get cheaper, butI've got them to match their online prices as well, although they do seem to f*ck around with the package deals etc. Also the Panasonic doesnt come with the stand in the basic advertised price. However, as both the salesman want my money, I expect to be knocking a few quid off along the way, or getting something thrown in for nothing. (HDMI cable, Table, something along those lines). I've got a HDMI DVD player already so they can poke that as a bit of a package deal.

Time to do a bit of hagglin I think

All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #172 on: May 4, 2006, 03:00:22 pm »
pc world doing some great deals in store i think,

Samsung 32 hd lcd for about 800,

is that good, its the same type as the ones that you play xbox 360 on in stores

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 4, 2006, 03:16:58 pm »
Actually getting my arse into gear now. Just been to Currys and Comet and had a look at:

Pioneer PDP436SXE 43  and the  Panasonic Viera TH42PX60.

I prefer the look of the Pioneer personally, but may be swayed by the Panasonic.

I know its high st stuff and I could prob get cheaper, butI've got them to match their online prices as well, although they do seem to f*ck around with the package deals etc. Also the Panasonic doesnt come with the stand in the basic advertised price. However, as both the salesman want my money, I expect to be knocking a few quid off along the way, or getting something thrown in for nothing. (HDMI cable, Table, something along those lines). I've got a HDMI DVD player already so they can poke that as a bit of a package deal.

Time to do a bit of hagglin I think

Don't know what Curry's and Comet are charging for SXE but John Lewis is around £2200 but with 5 year warranty but they will price match anyone.

Gareth took his Samsung LCD back as it wasn't up to scratch so to speak.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: May 5, 2006, 06:11:39 pm »
Ours came today and has just been assembled. A 43" beast. 8)

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: May 5, 2006, 08:55:43 pm »
Ours came today and has just been assembled. A 43" beast. 8)

I take it's the Pioneer.

SXE,RXE or XDE

I take it you've checked AVForums for the running in settings.
« Last Edit: May 5, 2006, 08:58:09 pm by keithcun »

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
« Reply #176 on: May 5, 2006, 10:06:51 pm »
I want one for my new house, been keeping an eye on this thread but it just all seems so complicated.  I tend to go for things the ‘look nice’

Panasonic TH37PX60CAB is soooooooooooooo nice, with the stand.  But its also a bit out of my price range.  I’ve decided to wait a bit.
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 6, 2006, 01:06:10 am »
I take it's the Pioneer.

SXE,RXE or XDE

I take it you've checked AVForums for the running in settings.

Pioneer. XDE.

Checked the forums? Nah, just let my Dad and brother sort all that shite out and I'll just stick to watching it.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 6, 2006, 10:24:43 am »
Pioneer. XDE.

Checked the forums? Nah, just let my Dad and brother sort all that shite out and I'll just stick to watching it.

Get them to check this thread out on AVForums.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323983

..and let us know what you think of the set,especially on the footy,as this is one of three possibilities for me at the moment.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: May 6, 2006, 10:54:43 am »
Ok mate. Gonna watch Palace-Watford on it in a bit, need to do a bit of messing with the colours as it looked a bit dodgy when we put the CL final on it breifly last night.

It looks boss though and after seeing the X-Box in HD last night, I shudder to think what the fuck the World Cup is going to look like.

Offline Devastatin' Dave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 6, 2006, 10:35:12 pm »
It looks boss though and after seeing the X-Box in HD last night, I shudder to think what the fuck the World Cup is going to look like.

I'm pretty sure it will still look gold.

Offline Tim

• Legacy Fan
  • Welcome to Heaven
« Reply #181 on: May 6, 2006, 11:38:05 pm »

Nearly spat water all over me screen then.

;D

We'll both get £20

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jerzy............Legend
« Reply #182 on: May 7, 2006, 12:38:52 am »
Don't know what Curry's and Comet are charging for SXE but John Lewis is around £2200 but with 5 year warranty but they will price match anyone.

Gareth took his Samsung LCD back as it wasn't up to scratch so to speak.

About £ 1523, All currys stores will price match there own websites.
Better today than yesterday...........
           even better tomorrow.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 7, 2006, 01:06:27 am »

;D

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 7, 2006, 01:49:22 am »

But withoiut a 5 year warranty so not woth fuck all to be honest.

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: May 7, 2006, 11:31:45 am »
But withoiut a 5 year warranty so not woth fuck all to be honest.

So if the warranty comes in below the £700 premium that John Lewis are charging?? (which it does)

even better tomorrow.

hoonin

« Reply #186 on: May 7, 2006, 11:50:22 am »

I wouldn't bother mate. Took mine back as there were just too many little issues with it. I bought it on the strength of one review I read on ZDNet (I think), which in hindsight turned out to be overplaying the quality of the TV somewhat. Still, the price tells it all really, it is a lot cheaper than other models and not that much worse off in terms of quality, but the difference is noticeable.

Not worth having one unless you have HD progs to watch, which will cost you about 300 to have installed by Sky.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2006, 11:52:38 am by Gareth »

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: May 7, 2006, 11:59:11 am »

So if the warranty comes in below the £700 premium that John Lewis are charging?? (which it does)

Not sure where you got the price from for the SXE but from what I can see it's £1980 on the website and I've never seen one that cheap.

John Lewis price match so you should be able to get it at that price from John Lewis AND get the 5 year warranty.

Plus,John Lewis customer service is second to none which cannot be said about Curry's,Comet and Dixon's .
« Last Edit: May 7, 2006, 12:02:37 pm by keithcun »

Offline Pheel

• Look into my eyes...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: May 7, 2006, 12:04:13 pm »
But John Lewis price match so you should be able to get it at that price from John Lewis AND get the 5 year warranty.

Plus,John Lewis customer service is second to none which cannot be said about Curry's,Comet and Dixon's .

John Lewis price match "like for like" the fact that the deal is different ("Free" warranty) gives them an out. worth a go like but "caveat emptor" do your research, make yor choice. and then sit smuggly in high def heaven while I piss about trying to work out the one I want (can afford)  :(
           even better tomorrow.

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: May 7, 2006, 12:07:56 pm »
John Lewis price match "like for like" the fact that the deal is different ("Free" warranty) gives them an out. worth a go like but "caveat emptor" do your research, make yor choice. and then sit smuggly in high def heaven while I piss about trying to work out the one I want (can afford)  :(

John Lewis do not use the fact that they give a free 5 year warranty as a "get out"  when the price match.I can show you loads of instances where they have pricematched other companies that don't offer such warranties.

And where did you find that price for the SXE?

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #190 on: May 7, 2006, 12:20:27 pm »
Am about to go for the Sony Bravia(?) 32" LCD chappie.  Relaunched version with Wega engine at about 300 kvid off the list price. 

Any one objecting to this purchase or forever hold your piece?

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: May 7, 2006, 12:25:39 pm »
Am about to go for the Sony Bravia(?) 32" LCD chappie.  Relaunched version with Wega engine at about 300 kvid off the list price. 

Any one objecting to this purchase or forever hold your piece?

Not done any research on LCD as plasma is the type I'm going for.

Just have a look on AVforums to see what you can find out about them.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #192 on: May 7, 2006, 06:38:52 pm »
Not done any research on LCD as plasma is the type I'm going for.

Just have a look on AVforums to see what you can find out about them.

right then i want a flat screen tv and have followed this thread for quite  a while what is the difference between lcd and plasma, i know one is liquid crstal the other plasma, but what are pros cons of each

hoonin

« Reply #193 on: May 7, 2006, 09:40:42 pm »
Îf you'd followed the thread as long as you say then you should have picked up on the fact that none of us are experts and that people looking to buy a tv are strongly advised to seek views from more knowledgeable sources.

If you buy a TV off the back of advice garnered from a football forum them you'll only have yourself to blame if it turns out to be shite.

Offline Harry_Wong

• RAWK Security Consultant. a right burka
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red in the Head
« Reply #194 on: May 7, 2006, 10:05:10 pm »
Pricerunner is handy for seeing what's available, easy to use.
Handy expanations of the technology...
What technology is the TV based on?
Tube- The most common technology. Today there are several types of picture tubes, among others flat tubes that give a very sharp and flicker free picture. The main disadvantage with tube technology is that most tubes are fairly cumbersome, so these types of TVs generally take up quite a bit of space.
Projection-TV - Instead of one picture tube these TVs have three. A red, a blue and a green cathode ray tube. The advantage is that you can easily project to a large surface area without too much loss of quality. A disadvantage is that it is still very expensive to buy.
Plasma - Incredibly thin and lightweight, Plasma TVs are capable of being mounted on your wall like a painting. Unfortunately they are still very expensive.
LCD - LCD stands for Liquid Crystal Displays. It is a flat panel technology which uses liquid crystals sandwiched between two glass plates. Can be even thinner than plasma screens and has a better viewing angle.
They still look too expensive to me. Wait another 6 months (pre-Christmas promotions?) and I'd guess these prices will be much lower.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2006, 10:11:49 pm by Harry_Wong »
Bill Shankly invites reporters into the changing room to meet his new captain, Ron Yeats:
"I've just signed a colossus. Come in and walk round him…"
1961-71: Promoted 1st season, 2 Championships, 1 FA Cup

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #195 on: May 8, 2006, 08:08:55 am »
Îf you'd followed the thread as long as you say then you should have picked up on the fact that none of us are experts and that people looking to buy a tv are strongly advised to seek views from more knowledgeable sources.

If you buy a TV off the back of advice garnered from a football forum them you'll only have yourself to blame if it turns out to be shite.

no i do realise that, its just any advice can only help, when it comes to looking at them I dont understand anythin so I just like the pretty ones, which also happen to be the most expensive
Pricerunner is handy for seeing what's available, easy to use.
Handy expanations of the technology...They still look too expensive to me. Wait another 6 months (pre-Christmas promotions?) and I'd guess these prices will be much lower.

thanks for that, I had planned to wait untill the end of the year, but am getting more and more tempted to get one now.

Will be trying to wait till after world cup, then will prob wait longer as wont be as arsed

Offline keithcun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: May 8, 2006, 11:37:21 am »
The only problem with waiting 6 months is,that in 6 months you are probably better waiting 6 months.It's a never ending cycle and you have to jump on sooner or later.

The reason why they will come down in 6 months is because the ones you are buying will not be the best available and the newer versions will still be at the top of the price range.Just like computers it's a never ending technology fest.

If you stick to either Pioneer or Panasonic you can't go wrong on the plasma side and also the newer Hitachi are getting good writes up as well but are just behind the other 2.

As for LCD,I'm not so clued up so wouldn't want to give advice on them.

For anything over 32" then you are really looking at plasma as these offer the better picture quality than LCD for this size.At 32" or less then you are looking at LCD as plasma is not really available at this size or below.

From what I have seen in the many instances of viewing both LCD and plasma,plasma always seems to me to give that more realistic look to the picture.But,it's your eyes that will be watching it,so inevitably,you'll have to make the decision.

I would also advise to get a proper demo of any sets you are interested in from a dedicated AV shop or from one of the larger stores that have demo rooms.But you must make sure that when demoing,that the sets are being fed with a proper feed,preferably not a shared feed and favourably over component or HDMI,which are the 2 best connection methods.Most shops will allow you to take your own DVD player in and a selection of DVD's to hook upto the sets to see how they compare.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: May 8, 2006, 10:52:23 pm »
Got a letter from Sky today outlining their pricing plans for HD.

Sky HD Box: £299 (for current customers, £399 otherwise)
HD Subscription: £10 per month

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: May 9, 2006, 08:55:02 am »
Ordered up. Delivery on Friday morning. Morning off work to get in about it and set it up.  Happy days.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: May 9, 2006, 10:30:36 am »
16 days till SKY HD arrives. 8)