Author Topic: Prince Phillip has died  (Read 35932 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Prince Phillip has died
« Reply #400 on: April 10, 2021, 07:04:59 am »
I think a 73 year old marriage is something that should be respected, I think his service both during conflict and to charity is also something that should be respected.  That's as far as it goes for me.  The coverage shouldn't be a surprise, if you didn't expect this I don't know what to tell you.

Some of the comments here are vile to be honest, it's actually taken longer to compose them than just letting it be. 

This.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: April 10, 2021, 07:27:31 am »
I've just put the telly on and BBC1 and BBC2 are still both showing the same programme about him

Only difference is the change of attire by presenters.  All dressed for the funeral it appears.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #402 on: April 10, 2021, 07:42:20 am »
What is the impact? Its purely a ceremonial impact with no real world effect.

Some people will be sad at his passing, he’s the queens husband and the queen remains very popular.

I do resent the wall to wall coverage however, that mourning is almost forced upon us because it’s nearly impossible to ignore, that does bother me. He’s died and it’s sad, it’s sad when anyone dies and the constant retelling of his life story is already getting tedious, and I wouldn’t even call myself a Republican or someone who hates or loves the Monarchy, I don’t really care too much about it one way or the other.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #403 on: April 10, 2021, 07:48:42 am »
I've just put the telly on and BBC1 and BBC2 are still both showing the same programme about him

To be honest I think they are glad to be able to talk about something else than covid and brexit.

Plus they must have prepped those programmes for a few years now.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #404 on: April 10, 2021, 07:51:53 am »
Prince Phillip has had the piss taken out of him all day whereas DMX has had tributes pour in from all sides. Funny how these things work, a rapper receiving more respect than a royal.

Sorry, I wasn't really a huge DMX fan but why is that strange exactly? For a start, Philip was almost 100 and DMX died suddenly at the age of 50.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: April 10, 2021, 08:33:24 am »
To be honest I think they are glad to be able to talk about something else than covid and brexit.

Plus they must have prepped those programmes for a few years now.

Same. Its not for me, I'll just turn it off and do something else.

I've posted elsewhere that I'm anti-royalist, I believe in a democratically elected head of state and upper chamber.

Whatever you say, we've lived in stable times (Some hard times too) in England while countries around Europe and the world have descended in choas. Communist, authoritarian, dictators and puppet regimes have appeared, I think having a Constitutional monarchy over the years has helped us not go down that route. Democracy is still youthful thing which we shouldn't take for granted, but I think its time to move on from the monarchy.

I will never know what its like to be born in the Royal Family, the pressures and privileges they have. The same about them, they will never know what its like to be a lad from north Liverpool who went to a shit comprehensive school. ;D
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: April 10, 2021, 08:36:47 am »
Sorry, I wasn't really a huge DMX fan but why is that strange exactly? For a start, Philip was almost 100 and DMX died suddenly at the age of 50.
DMX was a piece of shit who got multiple sentences for animal cruelty.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: April 10, 2021, 08:41:18 am »
Some people will be sad at his passing, he’s the queens husband and the queen remains very popular.

I do resent the wall to wall coverage however, that mourning is almost forced upon us because it’s nearly impossible to ignore, that does bother me.

Government gonna gaslight. 

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: April 10, 2021, 08:46:48 am »
I'm on a round trip to Thurrock, 8 hours driving, looking at at 14 hour shift and all I've got to listen to is the radio and the constant fawning over him and the downbeat music.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: April 10, 2021, 08:48:07 am »

He also was the father of 15 children from 9 different women.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #410 on: April 10, 2021, 08:53:11 am »

Yeah, I did say I wasn't a fan ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #411 on: April 10, 2021, 08:55:55 am »
I'm on a round trip to Thurrock, 8 hours driving, looking at at 14 hour shift and all I've got to listen to is the radio and the constant fawning over him and the downbeat music.

Surely 5 Live will have the football at least.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #412 on: April 10, 2021, 09:00:58 am »

Personally, I agree that the government will use this moment to try and smuggle all manner of bad news out to the country. Without a shadow of a doubt, because they are bastards to a man.

But anybody scratching their head as to why Philip is a big deal, you don't really know much about British servility.  It's the Queen's fucking husband.  The longest serving monarch in British History, and people are wondering why the death of her husband is such a big deal?  Bloody Hell, I really must be behind the times in some way if I can see what an impact it makes where others do not.

I think people take the piss because they are incredulous that in the year 2021 people still worship a family (forgeign  ;)) that were lucky enough to be descendants of some miserable c*nts back in the day who carried out atrocity after atrocity. No matter how much charity work or war service they do they'll never be able to redress the balance of destruction they have caused around the world.

People need to get a grip and get over it. He was fucking 99, anyone that is shocked or saddened by his passing needs to give their head a wobble. All of that is before you actually get in to what a vile human being this particular royal was as well.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:06:44 am by FlashGordon »
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #413 on: April 10, 2021, 09:02:42 am »
Just been reading about the DMX dog cruelty stuff.....RIP dickhead
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: April 10, 2021, 09:05:57 am »
Every bloody channel, Tv and Radio.

Do I have to stand outside my house and cry for the next 3 days like in North Korea.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: April 10, 2021, 09:14:09 am »
I think people take the piss because they are incredulous that in the year 2021 people still worship a family (forgeign  ;)) that were lucky enough to be descendants of some miserable c*nts back in the day who carried out atrocity after atrocity. No matter how much charity work or war service they do they'll never be able to redress the balance of destruction they have caused around the world.

People need to get a grip and get over it. He was fucking 99, anyone that is shocked or saddened by his passing is deranged. All of that is before you actually get in to what a vile human being this particular royal was as well.

I was brought up to respect the elderly unless they actively show they are unworthy of such, and what Phillip was directly accused of doesn't approach nulling that respect (unless you want to condemn him for the actions of others, as some have done here). And relating to that, I was also brought up to respect those who took part in WWII, when we needed them most, and he served in the British forces when he didn't have to; we don't disrespect the Irish, Americans and Poles who volunteered, so why are we doing so with this Greek?

I don't mourn him, and I'm not shocked by his death. But why is there so much vitriol directed his way? If a cranky old man on your street dies of old age, there wouldn't be so much gloating. Or at least there shouldn't be. His family should be allowed to mourn him, and the rest of us just respect the passing of another veteran from that war.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #416 on: April 10, 2021, 09:17:00 am »

Don't you have Spotify? For the past four years I've done similar shifts driving all over the UK and have never had the radio on. Much prefer to listen to the music I like.
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: April 10, 2021, 09:20:05 am »
I was brought up to respect the elderly unless they actively show they are unworthy of such, and what Phillip was directly accused of doesn't approach nulling that respect (unless you want to condemn him for the actions of others, as some have done here). And relating to that, I was also brought up to respect those who took part in WWII, when we needed them most, and he served in the British forces when he didn't have to; we don't disrespect the Irish, Americans and Poles who volunteered, so why are we doing so with this Greek?

I don't mourn him, and I'm not shocked by his death. But why is there so much vitriol directed his way? If a cranky old man on your street dies of old age, there wouldn't be so much gloating. Or at least there shouldn't be. His family should be allowed to mourn him, and the rest of us just respect the passing of another veteran from that war.

Because he's a massive bigot/racist.

There's no allegation there, his own words prove it. Could you tell me what he actually did in WWII?

Yes his family should be allowed to mourn him, they shouldn't be forcing that on a whole country though or the rest of the world.

There's absolute hell raging in my country right now just about 50 miles across the sea, hell instigated and carried out in the name of the British monarchy. Not a peep from the media about it though, or the PM, instead it's wall to wall coverage of a 99 year old man dying.

Forgive me for not giving a fuck.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: April 10, 2021, 09:21:45 am »

If I didn't already have a plentiful mp3 collection, I'd have turned those history podcasts I linked to earlier into mp3s. I don't listen to the radio unless I want news, and I'm certainly not interested in wall to wall coverage of Phillip's death.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #419 on: April 10, 2021, 09:22:23 am »
6 Music's been great this morning.... like an extended version of the Gloomy Sunday theme weekend from a few months back....My Morning Jacket, Haim, Eno, Duritti Column, Aqualung, Zero 7, Cinematic Orchestra....boss mellow soundtrack to working in the garden .....👍
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #420 on: April 10, 2021, 09:28:06 am »

There's no allegation there, his own words prove it. Could you tell me what he actually did in WWII?

Yes his family should be allowed to mourn him, they shouldn't be forcing that on a whole country though or the rest of the world.

There's absolute hell raging in my country right now just about 50 miles across the sea, hell instigated and carried out in the name of the British monarchy. Not a peep from the media about it though, or the PM, instead it's wall to wall coverage of a 99 year old man dying.

Forgive me for not giving a fuck.

Yeah, he's a bigot/racist. Not appreciably worse than some of the comments directed at him in this thread though. And I've noticed at least one supposedly racist comment from him noted on here was originally a regional joke among the peoples of another country. One which people from that country, and indeed people from that region, regularly repeat of themselves.

I might give less of a shit than many of those in this thread. Except that my not-shit-giving manifests in a desire to just turn elsewhere, and allow his the space they need to mourn, whereas others manifest it as an ever-escalating tide of vitriol. If you don't give a shit, why the venom?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: April 10, 2021, 09:31:24 am »
Just been reading about the DMX dog cruelty stuff.....RIP dickhead

Haven't got a clue who DMX is, but he sounds like a fucking c*nt.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: April 10, 2021, 09:42:44 am »
Yeah, he's a bigot/racist. Not appreciably worse than some of the comments directed at him in this thread though. And I've noticed at least one supposedly racist comment from him noted on here was originally a regional joke among the peoples of another country. One which people from that country, and indeed people from that region, regularly repeat of themselves.

I might give less of a shit than many of those in this thread. Except that my not-shit-giving manifests in a desire to just turn elsewhere, and allow his the space they need to mourn, whereas others manifest it as an ever-escalating tide of vitriol. If you don't give a shit, why the venom?

So once again, forgive me for not mourning for him or feeling any sympathy towards him or his family or his ilk.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: April 10, 2021, 09:52:18 am »
So once again, forgive me for not mourning for him or feeling any sympathy towards him or his family or his ilk.

It doesn't sound like Sangria had any issue with people not mourning or sympathising about him. Not with anyone showing apathy but the active venom.

In your posts it sounds like you're either equating him with, or holding him responsible for, attrocity committing british colonialists, destruction around the world, bigots and sectarianism in Ireland and Northern Ireland, the UK politicians who've flared up the trouble there, and the media for how they've covered his death

That said I know next to nothing about the guy aside from that he was regularly reported to have made xenophobic/racist comments to be honest , and think media coverage in England coupled with the government's response (shutting down civil service reports and press coverage during a pandemic) makes it look like [more of] a joke country.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:55:45 am by Classycara »

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: April 10, 2021, 09:58:13 am »
It doesn't sound like Sangria had any issue with people not mourning or sympathising about him. Not with anyone showing apathy but the active venom.

In your posts it sounds like you're either equating him with, or holding him responsible for, attrocity committing british colonialists, destruction around the world, bigots and sectarianism in Ireland and Northern Ireland, the UK politicians who've flared up the trouble there, and the media for how they've covered his death

Oh I am, for sure, and I'm well within my rights to.

That's only one part of it though. He's also a confirmed racist/bigot, a horrible bastard by all accounts.

He's also said that his bigotry/racism is not appreciably worse than some of the comments directed at him in this thread. Is that a joke or what?

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: April 10, 2021, 09:59:56 am »
She was only 13 or 14 when she fell in love with the almost 20 yr old - like Father like son eh Andrew?

She was 13 he was 18. She had a crush, it's not like anything happened. Completely harmless and this is in very poor taste

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #426 on: April 10, 2021, 10:04:58 am »

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2006/mar/15/comment.labour1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4789060.stm

Draw your own conclusions about the seriousness of intent or level of involvement, but it's not total fiction.

I mean, I know nothing about the man, but a little reading makes it clear he wasn’t involved in this.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: April 10, 2021, 10:05:24 am »
The verdict is in: wall-to-wall TV coverage of Prince Philip's death was a turn-off for Brits, with major channels losing primetime (7pm-11pm) viewers compared with Friday, April 2.

BBC1: -6%
ITV: -60%
BBC2: -65%
C4: -8.5%

The most-watched TV show on the day Prince Philip died: Gogglebox with nearly 4.2m viewers.

https://twitter.com/Jake_Kanter/status/1380803808868057090

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #428 on: April 10, 2021, 10:12:00 am »

I do resent the wall to wall coverage however, that mourning is almost forced upon us because it’s nearly impossible to ignore, that does bother me. He’s died and it’s sad, it’s sad when anyone dies and the constant retelling of his life story is already getting tedious, and I wouldn’t even call myself a Republican or someone who hates or loves the Monarchy, I don’t really care too much about it one way or the other.

This is where I sit. If there was a referendum on the monarchy I'd vote to get rid of them, but I don't care enough about it to actively want one. I like the Queen herself, and no doubt Philip played a huge role in how she's reigned. As I don't watch TV or listen to radio, the media reaction to this has passed me by. I've heard a lot of complaints though.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: April 10, 2021, 10:15:23 am »

Many people reject deference to their 'elders and betters' as the default position these days because it's a throwback to feudal times and we like to believe* we live in a more meritocratic society now. This is why the enforced national mourning that seems set to go on for several days is so hard to stomach. We're basically being told by the government, backed up by the national broadcaster, that we're expected to behave like grovelling serfs. It's deeply galling.

That said, I'm all for being respectful simply as a matter of basic decorum. I'm sure the Queen's grief at her loss is real, likewise the rest of her family. I tend towards the view that this is not a time for making personal comments about any of them.

Also, I accept that his war record was commendable - by all accounts, he performed genuine acts of bravery. However, this has absolutely no bearing on what he may or may not have done or said at other times throughout his life - no one gets a free pass just because they once did something worthy of praise. But that's all I'm saying on the matter for now.

PS he wasn't actually Greek.

*who are we trying to kid...

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: April 10, 2021, 10:16:08 am »
This is where I sit. If there was a referendum on the monarchy I'd vote to get rid of them, but I don't care enough about it to actively want one. I like the Queen herself, and no doubt Philip played a huge role in how she's reigned. As I don't watch TV or listen to radio, the media reaction to this has passed me by. I've heard a lot of complaints though.

Just listen to yourself though, how she reigned, how does anyone have the right to reign over anyone? Subservience should've went out the Enlightenment.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: April 10, 2021, 10:18:57 am »
6 Music's been great this morning.... like an extended version of the Gloomy Sunday theme weekend from a few months back....My Morning Jacket, Haim, Eno, Duritti Column, Aqualung, Zero 7, Cinematic Orchestra....boss mellow soundtrack to working in the garden .....👍

If this is what it takes to get Durutti Column on the radio, I hope more of them die soon.  ;)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: April 10, 2021, 10:24:39 am »
Many people reject deference to their 'elders and betters' as the default position these days because it's a throwback to feudal times and we like to believe* we live in a more meritocratic society now. This is why the enforced national mourning that seems set to go on for several days is so hard to stomach. We're basically being told by the government, backed up by the national broadcaster, that we're expected to behave like grovelling serfs. It's deeply galling.

That said, I'm all for being respectful simply as a matter of basic decorum. I'm sure the Queen's grief at her loss is real, likewise the rest of her family. I tend towards the view that this is not a time for making personal comments about any of them.

Also, I accept that his war record was commendable - by all accounts, he performed genuine acts of bravery. However, this has absolutely no bearing on what he may or may not have done or said at other times throughout his life - no one gets a free pass just because they once did something worthy of praise. But that's all I'm saying on the matter for now.

PS he wasn't actually Greek.

*who are we trying to kid...

He kinda is Greek, what with being born there, granted he left when he was a baby, but still.

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: April 10, 2021, 10:28:35 am »
He kinda is Greek, what with being born there, granted he left when he was a baby, but still.

See, this is what comes of trying to be clever - you get called out by people who know more than you...  ;D

Have to confess I'm not exactly a keen student of royal biography, so I misremember the details occasionally.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #434 on: April 10, 2021, 10:35:56 am »
Just listen to yourself though, how she reigned, how does anyone have the right to reign over anyone? Subservience should've went out the Enlightenment.

I agree with you. But it is the correct quick word to summarise what the Queen has been doing as her 'job' for the last 70 years.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #435 on: April 10, 2021, 10:38:40 am »

The Greek royal family were imported Germans though, selected by other European nations after Greece gained independence in the 1830s. I might be mistaken, but I don't believe any of Philip's direct ancestors were Greek.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #436 on: April 10, 2021, 10:41:27 am »
Met him a few times. A great guy. Not a bit like his public persona. Kind, funny, caring, a bit humble actually. He told me he hated blood sports and what agony it was to have to pretend to enjoy them. Same with all the flummery around the court. He tried to get people to act normally, drop all the 'bowing and scraping', but it was Brenda who put her foot down. She liked all that. Sometimes being a royal was all too much and he'd take off on his own and stay, off season, in a little caravan in Skegness or Mablethorpe and places like that. I once asked him who he admired most in the world and he said, quick as a flash, Greta Thurnberg, the young environmental campaigner. Doug Mountjoy too, the snooker player - which I thought was interesting. He'd written him a few fan letters but never received a reply, which hurt him a bit. He's also the last person I know who used to order a pint of mixed at the local. His jokes were funny but never lewd, and certainly never depended on racial stereotypes. He always allowed the conversation to be changed.

Great bloke, much misunderstood.

RIP Phil.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #437 on: April 10, 2021, 10:42:57 am »
Philip was of German and Russian descent, he wasn't really Greek.

He was a champion of nature and conservation, loathed the press and tried to modernise the monarchy.

I know many who have undertook the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 11:36:06 am by Red-Soldier »

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: April 10, 2021, 10:43:29 am »
The Greek royal family were imported Germans though, selected by other European nations after Greece gained independence in the 1830s. I might be mistaken, but I don't believe any of Philip's direct ancestors were Greek.

Half German half Danish,  possibly more German than Danish

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: April 10, 2021, 10:48:19 am »

His father was Greek.