Author Topic: Leaked Passwords  (Read 2188 times)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Leaked Passwords
« on: February 24, 2021, 01:36:38 pm »
Did anyone else get a reminder from an android device that passwords for Rawk have leaked out into the wilderness?
Timely reminder to NEVER share passwords across sites.
And consider a password reminder.
And Mutli Factor authentication
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: Leaked Passwords
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 01:42:23 pm »
Wait... I'm using "password" as password everywhere and now you're telling me I'm doing it wrong? ;)

To be honest, I wish a lot more sites would use two/multi factor authentication, because I would like to use "simpler" passwords and have that second authentication option as a safety net. I get, that there are apps you can use to generate and store safe passwords, but a lot of the time it's just a drag, if you have to use other devices or if you need to login in another programme where you can't autofill your password.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 01:51:27 pm »
Wait... I'm using "password" as password everywhere and now you're telling me I'm doing it wrong? ;)

To be honest, I wish a lot more sites would use two/multi factor authentication, because I would like to use "simpler" passwords and have that second authentication option as a safety net. I get, that there are apps you can use to generate and store safe passwords, but a lot of the time it's just a drag, if you have to use other devices or if you need to login in another programme where you can't autofill your password.

Agree totally. I haven't seen how MS are implementing passwordless, but I thinkit must be something like this.
I've never liked letting my browser store a password, but with sites supporting MFA , I might change my stance.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 03:13:24 pm »
Chrome has a password checker built in for testing them, good to occasionally run through them and see what's compromised

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 03:17:13 pm »
Did anyone else get a reminder from an android device that passwords for Rawk have leaked out into the wilderness?
Timely reminder to NEVER share passwords across sites.
And consider a password reminder.
And Mutli Factor authentication

No, because it is based on Googles leaked password checker, it checks the combination of user / pass stored in your Chrome/Google password store and compares that against its database of leaked username & passwords.

It isn't site specific. Do you use the same combination of paulfelce & the password you use here, elsewhere?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 12:47:29 pm »
2 factor authentication has to be more and more common.

Face ID and fingerprint sensors on phones have helped alot.

My work one gets changed every 2 months. I just keep adding a ! on the end every time.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 07:37:49 pm »
No, because it is based on Googles leaked password checker, it checks the combination of user / pass stored in your Chrome/Google password store and compares that against its database of leaked username & passwords.

It isn't site specific. Do you use the same combination of paulfelce & the password you use here, elsewhere?
Thanks Ben. That's interesting. I think there was a handful of sites. Luckily i stopped that practice pretty swiftly....

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 07:53:46 pm »
2 factor authentication has to be more and more common.

Face ID and fingerprint sensors on phones have helped alot.

My work one gets changed every 2 months. I just keep adding a ! on the end every time.

I copy the "private car reg" practice, make numbers look like letters ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline halfpoundcheesy

• [insert witty comment]
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 07:57:08 am »
This site is pretty useful if you want to check if any accounts linked to a specific email address have been leaked.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You can get free alerts from it.

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 12:26:51 pm »
My google password checker tells me I have 286 compromised passwords!  :o

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2021, 08:48:08 am »
Get a password manager and generate all your passwords.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2021, 11:36:10 am »
^ FYI, LastPass have just announced their free version will soon only allow you to use it on mobile, or on computer, not both.

I've moved to Bitwarden which so far is working well.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2021, 02:27:09 pm »
Is there anything you miss about last pass? I've never been s fan, but I've got used to it. Happy to only have it on my mobile to be fair, but it shouldn't be hard to migrate and I can probably review passwords as I do it.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2021, 02:33:25 pm »
Is there anything you miss about last pass? I've never been s fan, but I've got used to it. Happy to only have it on my mobile to be fair, but it shouldn't be hard to migrate and I can probably review passwords as I do it.

So far it Bitwarden seems to have everything Lastpass has. It works better on my phone as well where autofill didn't work on Lastpass very well so had to go and open the Lastpass app and search for my password and then switch back to my browser or whatever app I needed a password for. Autofill working fine with Bitwarden.

The migration is easy - you can export a CSV file from Lastpass in the options, and then import to Bitwarden.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 7, 2021, 07:54:34 am »
Thanks JE , I've been on bitwarden for about a week now. And it feels good.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #15 on: April 3, 2023, 12:07:55 am »
I can now say from my own experience, that you should take password security seriously. Had my Twitter account taken over by what looks like some person in the US. As I've stated in this thread, I had a pretty simple password, I used on mulitple webistes that were basically not very important to me like registering for a message board I didn't really care about and just wanted to read or other stuff like newspaper websites (not for paid content). I also had the Chrome message that that info had leaked, but never really bothered to change all those passwords as none of that had any important information in it or was really in use on a daily basis. Twitter was a bit different, but I also only really had that account to be able to read Twitter-links people posted and I was following some people mostly LFC-related. Didn't tweet anything myself and no real personal info in my profile.

Got an e-mail that my password on Twitter has been changed and another one saying that someone had logged in from Washington, US. I immediately checked the e-mail-header whether the mails were actually from Twitter or whether they were a fishing attempt, but it turns out the mails were really from Twitter. So, opened Chrome and tried to log in to Twitter, but it said my password was wrong. Thankfully whoever went into my account didn't change my e-mail-address (not sure you even can on Twitter), so I was able to reset my password and got my account back. Also nothing nefarious was done to my account, so I'm pretty happy with the outcome. Have now changed all my passwords that weren't save...