Author Topic: Overrated?  (Read 43868 times)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
Re: Overrated?
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2021, 12:14:31 am »
Anything to do with superheroes is shite. Apart from the original Batman tv series.

Also anything to do with vampires or zombies is shite apart from Shaun of the Dead.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:16:36 am by Dr. Beaker »
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2021, 12:23:46 am »
Anything to do with superheroes is shite. Apart from the original Batman tv series.

Also anything to do with vampires or zombies is shite apart from Shaun of the Dead.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2021, 12:42:40 am »
Films

Once upon a time in Hollywood one of the most boring films I've ever seen

TV Shows

Rick and Morty I was expecting the greatest comedy show of all time but it's not even as good as community from the same creator

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2021, 12:49:58 am »
Johan Cruyff - he was pretty good like.

George Best - not as good as Giggs.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2021, 12:54:23 am »
Jaws - a fairly ordinary, big rubber shark.
The Exorcist - a joke.
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson - A cheaplaugh, and not even clever
NAKED BOOBERY

Offline Shankly998

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2021, 01:01:30 am »
Churchill and other War time leaders- Really in the modern world whoever the prime minister/president is during wartime doesn't have a major impact on whether a war is won or lost, so it doesn't make sense to particularly praise someone just because they were a leader during wartime.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2021, 01:09:11 am »
Mrs Brown's boys is another

Mrs Brown’s Boys ... fucking hell. Talk about tv’s emperor’s new clothes. It’s the elephant in the room as far as tv ‘comedy’ is concerned. It isn’t, on any level, funny. In fact if we’re being totally honest it’s to tv comedy what Jermaine Jenas is to football punditry  unbelievable that it’s even being aired

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: February 19, 2021, 01:24:23 am »
Star Wars and Star Trek.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2021, 02:35:49 am »
I got through about three episodes of Peaky Blinders that was enough for me.

Likewise, I couldn’t get beyond the first couple of episodes. Appalling scripts.

Imagine if The Godfather was produced and funded by ASOS. That’s Peaky Blinders.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2021, 02:39:08 am »
What a shout Fleabag was a page back. Shite.

It’s just a middle class Rab C Nesbitt, auld Rab being far better though. It’s hype is simply because it speaks to posh whiter than white middle class folk who dominate the media.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2021, 02:42:51 am »
Anyway, if you want overrated, then it’s David Bowie.

Underrated artist who deserves similar acclaim? Probably Kate Bush.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #131 on: February 19, 2021, 02:45:50 am »
The Godfather.

Don't get me wrong, it's brilliant. I just don't think it's the greatest film ever made as so many people make out. I just re-watched it recently after many, many years and realized I enjoyed Goodfellas and Once Upon A Time in America more.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: February 19, 2021, 02:53:28 am »
I've been thinking for ages about putting something like this up so people could forge lifelong grudges against each other and display their bad taste based on nothing more than 'it was boring' or 'I watched one episode and couldn't get into it', but thought better of it. Glad someone else did though. Anyone posting things in here should back up what they say in detail. For instance, off the top of my head:

Bob Dylan. Mid-sixties Dylan is great but he stops being musically interesting after that so the weight really falls on his songwriting, which is definitely patchy from then on. Every few years he'll bring out a pretty good album that people treat as if it's the second coming because it's so good in comparison to whatever series of embarrassments he's dished out in the few years before. And he's been awful live for decades and remains the single worst pop or rock star actor in history - a staggering achievement given the breadth and lows of the competition.

Shawshank. It's a good film, maybe the most good film ever made, in that it's well shot, performed well and hits the right emotional beats to get an audience reaction. But number one on the IMDb list? There isn't a shred of greatness about it, anything that's fresh or original or that says anything about the human condition that's deeper or less cliched than you'd get in the average episode of Glee. And the book is better. The convicts would also have just smashed a nerd like Dusfresne's teeth out if he'd threatened to bite down. Still far better than The Green Mile, but probably around Gump territory in terms of quality.

The Clash in the 80's. 70's Clash is good to fantastic, but half of Sandinista is almost unlistenable and a further quarter would have maybe scraped on to a B-side of the earlier albums. Combat Rock is a mixture of pub rock that would have been critically mauled if it had come from a less 'credible' artist, and tuneless, funkless, sonic experiments that forge a direct link to the horrors of BAD. And Bankrobber, coming from Joe 'son of a diplomat' Strummer, is one of the fakest anti-establishment songs ever written.

Mad Men. Great production design and pathos aren't enough to equal depth, especially when the constant despair and effort to portray every triumph as hollow or virtually meaningless renders the show monotonal, and practically every character is a one-dimensional postmodern cliche. It's pre-swinging 60's so it's obligatory to have a slick suited, semi-alcoholic alpha male, a bored housewife, closeted gay character and oblivious wife, faux beatnik, misogynistic representatives of the old guard, etc, etc, etc. It scores points for not being campy but it didn't deserve the plaudits or thinkpieces it got.

Feel free to disagree with these, but anyone who's mentioning the likes of Citizen Kane, The Stones, The Wire or Pulp Fiction should have something substantial to back it up with.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #133 on: February 19, 2021, 03:11:44 am »
Alien. Is it because every movie borrowed from it ? or am i just wrong? I thought it was okay but it didn't wow me. I think this is a problem with a lot of the classic horror movies, at the time they were revolutionary but watching for the first time now a days it is something you've seen before.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: February 19, 2021, 03:22:39 am »
Alien. Is it because every movie borrowed from it ? or am i just wrong? I thought it was okay but it didn't wow me. I think this is a problem with a lot of the classic horror movies, at the time they were revolutionary but watching for the first time now a days it is something you've seen before.

With the likes of Alien, The Exorcist and such it's probably because they've been parodied to death the suspense is gone. I knew most of the big moments in both movies years before I ever saw them.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
« Reply #135 on: February 19, 2021, 05:37:11 am »
Agree with Peaky Blinders, lasted 3-4 episodes before I gave up.

Music wise, Bittersweet Symphony by The Verve, boring shite.
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: February 19, 2021, 07:39:44 am »
Ed Sheeran - that stupid Irish song he brought out, wow. One of the worst singers about.

Taylor Swift - flip flops from man to man then writes a song about each man and is hailed a lyrical genius.

Eminem - he hasn’t been good since the early 2000s.

Drake - just soppy shite

Beyoncé - does she even sing anymore or does she just do this weird rapping style now?

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #137 on: February 19, 2021, 08:30:43 am »
Ed Sheeran - that stupid Irish song he brought out, wow. One of the worst singers about.

Taylor Swift - flip flops from man to man then writes a song about each man and is hailed a lyrical genius.

Eminem - he hasn’t been good since the early 2000s.

Drake - just soppy shite

Beyoncé - does she even sing anymore or does she just do this weird rapping style now?

yes yes yes

and this...

england's 1966 world cup win

if var would have been about then no goal and those 'people on the pitch' the ref would've blown his whistle to stop the game

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: February 19, 2021, 08:42:07 am »

Most people seem to either love or hate it, like Marmite. For me it's just 'meh' - it has some funny moments but overall its nothing special.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2021, 08:45:08 am »
On a literary note; Wolf Hall
Found it a really tough read
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2021, 08:45:53 am »
Most people seem to either love or hate it, like Marmite. For me it's just 'meh' - it has some funny moments but overall its nothing special.

I enjoyed the American version more. The British one I can take or leave but then I don’t like Gervais very much.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: February 19, 2021, 09:49:46 am »
If Love Is Overrated - Gregory Porter.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/na01DRa_XH0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/na01DRa_XH0</a>

Maybe not.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #142 on: February 19, 2021, 10:38:59 am »
This thread is just weird.
Overrated perhaps?
The Office
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Also all those Scandinavia cop shows that were all the rage a few years ago. Some were decent, but not much more than that.
IASIP
Seinfeld. I've tried, I've tried but just not funny.
Curb your enthusiasm. Ditto.

I guess there's something about unpredictability and comedy and if you can see it coming and you don't somehow identify with the characters that becomes a turn off.

Kill Bill's taking a battering on this thread, similarly The Wire, Breaking Bad and Bruce Springsteen. When I was young I figured out that if you sold someone on a show or band they would invariably hate it. Always undersell. If you come to a show because of the hype, your expectations are raised and you suffer from a personal reaction to the disappointment.

Some of the best shows, films and music I've ever enjoyed - in fact most I've loved - I've stumbled upon by accident before hearing about them. And that includes nearly all the top suggestions in here [emoji16]

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2021, 11:01:15 am »
Overrated perhaps?IASIP
Seinfeld. I've tried, I've tried but just not funny.
Curb your enthusiasm. Ditto.

I guess there's something about unpredictability and comedy and if you can see it coming and you don't somehow identify with the characters that becomes a turn off.

Kill Bill's taking a battering on this thread, similarly The Wire, Breaking Bad and Bruce Springsteen. When I was young I figured out that if you sold someone on a show or band they would invariably hate it. Always undersell. If you come to a show because of the hype, your expectations are raised and you suffer from a personal reaction to the disappointment.

Some of the best shows, films and music I've ever enjoyed - in fact most I've loved - I've stumbled upon by accident before hearing about them. And that includes nearly all the top suggestions in here [emoji16]

I really don't like IASIP and I find Seinfeld average but Curb is one of my all time favourite shows.

I agree with the shouts on Springsteen, he does some decent songs but I don't get why he is considered great in any way.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2021, 11:16:47 am »
Dr Who.

Another show I just do not understand how it's so popular.

Controversial, but Scorsese's last movie The Irishman, I had to watch it over 3 Evenings as i found it a bit slow, some scenes in it that will be talked about for years but the film is far to long and boring for large parts.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 19, 2021, 11:25:10 am »
Cocaine and anal.

The two are NOT connected.

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #146 on: February 19, 2021, 11:45:20 am »
Cocaine and anal.

The two are NOT connected.

Did you see Snowflake  :o
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: February 19, 2021, 12:07:29 pm »
Somebody already mentioned it but all of these comic book superhero movies have left me cold except Watchmen and The Dark Knight.

Also haven't liked any of the Star Wars movies after the first three.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #148 on: February 19, 2021, 12:53:08 pm »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #149 on: February 19, 2021, 01:01:55 pm »

Fucking spot on. Rubbish.

But reading between the lines you’re still rating Anal.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #150 on: February 19, 2021, 01:37:52 pm »
Films;

Lost in Translation
  Fargo
  Harry Potter
  The Irishman
  No Country for Old Men
  Withnail and I
  Most of the New Batman films
  Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
  Raising Arizona
  Barton Fink
  The Hudsucker Proxy
  The Big Lebowski
  O Brother Where Art Thou?
  Hail Caeser!
  Nightmare Before Christmas
  The English Patient
  Dumb and Dumber
  La La Land
  Saw
  Hostel
  Batman v Superman
  Melancholia
  Frozen
  Crash
  The Purge
  Titanic
  Les Miserables
  Man of Steel
  A Star is Born
  Basic Instinct
  Chariots of Fire
  Sleepless in Seattle
  Love Actually

TV:

Seinfeld
  Downtown Abbey
  Mad Men
  Homeland
  Fleabag
  Boardwalk Empire
  Mrs Browns Boys
  Curb Your Enthusiasm
  Barney and Friends
  Spongebob Squarepants
  Match of the Day
  Jeremy Kyle
  Jerry Springer
  Curb Your Enthusiasm

Music:

The Smiths
  Bruce Springsteen
  Bob Dylan
  Sex Pistols
  The Who
  The Clash
  Ed Sheeran

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 19, 2021, 01:46:59 pm »
Bruce Springsteen getting a load of flak here, but I don't know any other songwriter who speaks to the human condition quite like him. He's also inadvertently political, with a social conscience that doesn't resort to platitudes ala Billy Bragg, delving into the depths of the characters he sings about and empathising through their struggles. For that ability to see the situation through the eyes of a character, its political messages are so much more powerful and emotive than if he just went on a sloganeering rant like most protest singers.

For overrated music stars, I'd also have to add The Rolling Stones. How on earth it was ever contrived that they were The Beatles rivals is beyond me, they're not even on the level with The Kinks. Maybe it was southerners wanting an alternative to these upstart Liverpudlians? The music is just derivative and unoriginal that rips from the RnB songbook (of much better artists), lacking any depth of emotion, all swagger no substance. They are great performers admittedly but that's it. They could never find their way around a tune nor a composition as expertly as The Beatles, and for all Keith Richards guitar talents, it's mitigated by the fact Mick Jagger isn't a very good singer (again, compare to The Beatles and their stunning vocals and it's not even a competition).

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #152 on: February 19, 2021, 01:52:27 pm »
Bruce Springsteen getting a load of flak here, but I don't know any other songwriter who speaks to the human condition quite like him. He's also inadvertently political, with a social conscience that doesn't resort to platitudes ala Billy Bragg, delving into the depths of the characters he sings about and empathising through their struggles. For that ability to see the situation through the eyes of a character, its political messages are so much more powerful and emotive than if he just went on a sloganeering rant like most protest singers.

For overrated music stars, I'd also have to add The Rolling Stones. How on earth it was ever contrived that they were The Beatles rivals is beyond me, they're not even on the level with The Kinks. Maybe it was southerners wanting an alternative to these upstart Liverpudlians? The music is just derivative and unoriginal that rips from the RnB songbook (of much better artists), lacking any depth of emotion, all swagger no substance. They are great performers admittedly but that's it. They could never find their way around a tune nor a composition as expertly as The Beatles, and for all Keith Richards guitar talents, it's mitigated by the fact Mick Jagger isn't a very good singer (again, compare to The Beatles and their stunning vocals and it's not even a competition).

I appreciate the lyrics of Dylan and Springsteen, but can't get past how massively poor singers they are.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #153 on: February 19, 2021, 01:56:47 pm »
But reading between the lines you’re still rating Anal.

The source of Nick's celestially high ratings, witty yet very homes pun...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #154 on: February 19, 2021, 01:57:36 pm »
I don't want to go all deep here, but in a way I view The Wire as a documentary as much as a TV series. The portrayal of inner-city Baltimore is absolutely spot on. Of course there is poetic licence there but by and large it is a very accurate and poignant portrayal of life there. The acting is absolutely superb, too. I guess it does take a bit of dive in the last season but in and of itself season 5 is great, but it just isn't as good as the others.

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 19, 2021, 02:07:40 pm »
Always amazes me how people lose their shit when i say inception is the most overrated film ever made, its shite. Closely followed by interstellar which is supposed to be a classic, thats shite as well, dont want to feel like im sitting an exam while watching a film.

Shout out to some tarantino films as well, hateful 8, django unchained and reservoir dogs are crap n all.

Tv wise everybody told me to watch dexter when it first came out thats shit as well

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #156 on: February 19, 2021, 02:13:00 pm »
Some incredible takes in this thread.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 19, 2021, 02:29:14 pm »
Gravity and The Martian.

Great visually, sure. But the plot and dialogue in both of them are cheesey as fuck.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #158 on: February 19, 2021, 02:43:10 pm »
It's nothing to do with poor taste, people judge show by different parameters.

nah, I think it's just poor taste...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2021, 02:51:43 pm »
Gravity and The Martian.

Great visually, sure. But the plot and dialogue in both of them are cheesey as fuck.
I recently rewatched Children of Men, and have to say this might be a problem in most Cuarón films. It still is a very good movie, mostly because of the technical stuff and how it builds and shows such a comprehensive distopian world, but some of the dialogue was very silly and cringy for such a seriously toned movie, especially Michael Caine's character.