Author Topic: Retro/ Collectible Gaming Merchandise  (Read 794 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Retro/ Collectible Gaming Merchandise
« on: February 10, 2021, 12:08:11 pm »
I couldn't find a vaguely related thread, so I thought I'd start one here if anyone was interested.

During Lockdown One, I was very interested to hear that the Rapper Logic (never heard of him before that) had paid $180,000 or so at auction for a mint condition 1st edition Charizard Card, from the Pokemon Trading Card Game, Wizards of the Coast's first English Run in 98/99 I believe (probably printed 97/98). This then saw a surge of people listing pokemon cards on Ebay with a clear misunderstanding of what represents value and worth in the market. The difference between good and mint condition in a collector's eyes is massive, as is the edition of the card, whether it was part of the initial 'shadowless' prints, and even whether the centering of the border (pot luck essentially) is as close to perfect as possible.

The specific Charizard bought by Logic was a PSA 10 (perfect condition) 1st Edition Base Set Shadowless Charizard. A year before, you could probably pick one of these up for $30,000 or £25,000 maybe here in the UK. It's interesting that with people like Logic and Logan Paul making moves such as this, they've inflated the market. Go on Ebay now and you will see reams of fakes (a few key things to look for to ensure authenticity) or poor condition cards selling for way too much. To give you an example, I have a none-shadowless version of the Charizard Logic purchased (which does effect it's value negatively). This has been PSA graded at Grade 6 (looks near flawless to me, but this shows their levels of scrutiny) - Making it worth maybe a grand at best (I know this is still wild for a pokemon card). I also had my whole collection valued (I have complete Base Set but a mix of editions, complete Jungle and complete Fossil Set from the original runs - a partial Team Rocket set too) and it's more than doubled in value since I last had them looked at around 6 years ago. This seems a strange and unsustainable jump. Are trading cards - baseball, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh actual potential investments?

People sell completed Panini World Cup albums from back in the day for big money - unopened boxes of original WOTC Pokemon Cards sell for tens of thousands even though there's a clear risk that there will be nothing of major value in the packets.

My partner's brother collects old Nintendo merchandise and recently sold two Power Gloves for around £100 each, having fished them out of car boot sales.

Some rare or classic Playstation, Nintendo 64 and even Game Boy games now go for above double what they retailed at new for in their day - some as recent as 20 years old.

It fascinates me and I thought it was worth a discussion - does anyone have anything rare they want to discuss? Any stories to share? Is anyone like me with my cards, having a potentially valuable commodity that they do nothing with but can't bring themselves to part with?
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
Re: Retro/ Collectible Gaming Merchandise
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 12:15:31 pm »
Always makes me worry about things I’ve gotten rid of, especially when you see a game like NCAA 14 going for like £120+.

I reckon there’s a few old Nintendo or Sega games I’ve lost along the way going for a small fortune these days.
AHA!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 12:24:16 pm »
Always makes me worry about things I’ve gotten rid of, especially when you see a game like NCAA 14 going for like £120+.

I reckon there’s a few old Nintendo or Sega games I’ve lost along the way going for a small fortune these days.
I've a boxed Pikachu N64 with all the instructions, was heavily played with but still works and in good condition. I think it might be worth something, but it's hard to tell based on Ebay, prices all over the place.

Same though, I've likely given up a treasure trove of stuff in the past. Nuts the old NCAA games - never knew but just looked at all the prices they're going for! Maybe now they're bringing the series back, it will damage the value of the older games.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 01:05:32 pm »
In primary school I had a friend give me his Pokemon Red cartridge in return for a Charizard card I never had. Sorry mate!
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 01:49:55 pm »
In primary school I had a friend give me his Pokemon Red cartridge in return for a Charizard card I never had. Sorry mate!
Good condition Pokemon Red Cartridge with original box and manual is maybe worth £50 - £80 now mate. Was worth more but Nintendo released Red and Blue on the Virtual Console and it's value diminished somewhat.

Pokemon merchandise in particular is a minefield due to the amounts of fakes out there - on the cards there's loads of giveaways for fakes - wrong font types, wrong font colour, inverted holographic foil, incorrect wording or spelling mistakes, wrong weaknesses or energy attachments, steel or dark resistance/weaknesses on Gen 1 cards, wrong back art used, incorrect energy layout - all stuff that would fool investors or collectors with little knowledge.

Put in Charizard Card into Ebay now, the top hit looks legit but is in terrible condition but has bids at £195, then in the next 10 listings at least 3 are fake to my eye - incorrect description and showing an edition stamp that the original Charizard card was never part of that run.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 03:50:39 pm »
I used to work at a bank (Natwest) and about 4 years ago had a group meeting with one of the higher ups in the investment arm, and he said the best investments were pokemon cards and Lego and it didnt seem like he was joking. He'd probably say dogecoin or a dog to make an instagram account for now mind.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 04:28:08 pm »
I used to work at a bank (Natwest) and about 4 years ago had a group meeting with one of the higher ups in the investment arm, and he said the best investments were pokemon cards and Lego and it didnt seem like he was joking. He'd probably say dogecoin or a dog to make an instagram account for now mind.
He's not wrong really. Don't get me wrong, there's a massive amount of luck to it and loads of different random things can sway the market (the same as with stocks I suppose) but in those two examples - Pokemon cards have boomed over the last two years (base set Gym Heroes Cards were only a limited run in English language print, good condition rares of them will go for hundreds each and weren't that remarkable when they came out in 2000). Lego too - boxed, unopened Collectors Series Star Wars sets (as opposed to the normal releases) go for about £10k a set at auction. Probably £70 - £100 new 10 years ago? Even unboxed ones will fetch a few k.

The real money in Pokemon cards is the limited print runs from the Base Set Series - 1st Editions from the Originals, Shadowless Originals, 2005 EX Legendary Cards (these were super rare and handed out for competitive victories so there's less than a few hundred in circulation), the infamous illustrator cards etc are all worth thousands of pounds now. To those willing to pay it.

If anyone remembers the Ocarina of Time Game Boy Camera, they sell for around £1000. Only 2000 ever made for English language region.

One that a lad I know has - The Fallout 3 Amazon Exclusive collector's edition sells for £700 if you've still got all the components. Cost about £90 back when it was released.

Uncharted 2 made a limited run of Collector's Editions when that was released - they sell for £10,000 which is mad. If anyone happened to be in Hong Kong when Super Mario Bros 2 came out, that's worth £30k.

Interestingly, it seems that games that didn't get their intended production run due to legal wrangles often come as being super valuable now - Due to a lawsuit from Nintentdo, only 15 copies of Tetris for the Genesis were ever made, and distributed through a storage admin error. They reached one shop apparently, and if any still exist they're worth in excess of £10k. The same can be said of Bandai's Stadium Events. Initially developed by the toy company in collaboration with Nintendo, they started to release before Nintendo could rebrand it as First-party software. Cue big recall - the ones that never got taken back and still have the full Bandai branding go at auction for £40k.

Loads of weird stories like that.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 04:42:41 pm by Drinks Sangria »

Offline Redmaj

• Anny Roader
  • Butter does not Discriminate.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 11:05:28 pm »
I work in recycling. The amount of consoles, games, computers I have seen fucked out would scare you. Gods knows the riches that have been lost :(

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best day and night to make you like everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight and never stop fighting."

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 12:04:48 am »
When my son was probably around 8 ( 2002 ish ) me and his two nans clubbed together and payed £100 for the three Egyptian god cards in the yu-gi-oh collection , he’s 25 soon and I see them in his room now and then still in there sleeves ....are they worth anything 😀

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 08:58:58 am »
When my son was probably around 8 ( 2002 ish ) me and his two nans clubbed together and payed £100 for the three Egyptian god cards in the yu-gi-oh collection , he’s 25 soon and I see them in his room now and then still in there sleeves ....are they worth anything 😀
I have never followed or played Yu-Gi-Oh like I have with Pokemon, and these may not be what he’s got, but a cursory check on EBay shows all three to be available for around a tenner - sorry mate  :'(

Condition is everything in collectible cards. On eBay you’ll see it, no one bidding for a certain card at a fiver because it has a scratch on it, but multiple £50+ bids on the same card but verified as PSA 8/9. Grading is über strict too, I had my base sets graded last year and some that I believed to be pretty flawless only got 8s, I have a few 9s, no 10s and mainly 4-6s. I’ve an old first edition Mewtwo that I traded for in the late 90s that is battered, that got a 2.

Looking through my collection I must’ve been a fairly careful kid. The ones I personally pulled from packets I bought are in very good knick, many I traded for not so much.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2021, 09:13:06 am »
Not gaming related but do we think Funko Pops will become valuable in the future? Then again I have taken all of mine out of the box!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 09:34:35 am »
Not gaming related but do we think Funko Pops will become valuable in the future? Then again I have taken all of mine out of the box!
There's some limited run ones that are already very valuable mate. Don't collect them myself but I've a mate with a few hundred in storage - you find niche film and games ones can be quite valuable when never unboxed, or at least look plausibly never unboxed.

Funko did a limited run of Clockwork Orange Pops a few years back, made around 500. The Alex DeLarge sells for £10k at auction. They also did a Stan Lee Funko that they distributed out to Marvel employees when Thor was released on cinemas - a few hundred. As soon as the great man passed, they were on Ebay and you can still get them now, £6000. Whenever a Funko Pop sells a certain amount, they do a 'Freddy Funko' version of it, essentially their mascot in the clothes of whatever character it's based on - there's one for Woody and Buzz from Toy Story, Joffrey Baratheon etc. But they did a specific blood spattered Jaime Lannister one, that's worth £4,000 - £5,000 when the non-bloody one you can get for a tenner. Nuts. I think they will be uber collectible in 20 years.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 09:53:08 am »
There's some limited run ones that are already very valuable mate. Don't collect them myself but I've a mate with a few hundred in storage - you find niche film and games ones can be quite valuable when never unboxed, or at least look plausibly never unboxed.

Funko did a limited run of Clockwork Orange Pops a few years back, made around 500. The Alex DeLarge sells for £10k at auction. They also did a Stan Lee Funko that they distributed out to Marvel employees when Thor was released on cinemas - a few hundred. As soon as the great man passed, they were on Ebay and you can still get them now, £6000. Whenever a Funko Pop sells a certain amount, they do a 'Freddy Funko' version of it, essentially their mascot in the clothes of whatever character it's based on - there's one for Woody and Buzz from Toy Story, Joffrey Baratheon etc. But they did a specific blood spattered Jaime Lannister one, that's worth £4,000 - £5,000 when the non-bloody one you can get for a tenner. Nuts. I think they will be uber collectible in 20 years.

That is completely nuts. I remember I found a 2pac funko on amazon which was selling for around £150-£200!

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2021, 10:20:18 am »
Not a fan of funkos, the weird eyes kinda ruin them for me. Plus they dont all stand up straight, though my lads Bobby one has a nifty stand at least.

Watched a video of someone opening a bunch of unopened Garbage Pail Kid card packs, paid a small fortune for them. Turns out the gum had ruined all the cards inside and he tossed them all in the bin. More money than sense half of these collectors, very deep pockets.

The fun of collecting retro games has dwindled in recent years due to its popularity, mosly everything is overpriced. Long gone are the days of picking up an Atari 2600 with 10 boxed games for £2.50 at a car boot!
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2021, 10:47:41 am »
Not a fan of funkos, the weird eyes kinda ruin them for me. Plus they dont all stand up straight, though my lads Bobby one has a nifty stand at least.

Watched a video of someone opening a bunch of unopened Garbage Pail Kid card packs, paid a small fortune for them. Turns out the gum had ruined all the cards inside and he tossed them all in the bin. More money than sense half of these collectors, very deep pockets.

The fun of collecting retro games has dwindled in recent years due to its popularity, mosly everything is overpriced. Long gone are the days of picking up an Atari 2600 with 10 boxed games for £2.50 at a car boot!
People largely don't even know what they've got their hands on and it goes one of two ways - they bin or give away for a song, or they completely misinterpret the level of demand and value and list it somewhere for silly money - see the amount of Charizard Pokemon cards on eBay for thousands - regardless of what gen, edition and condition they are. People have heard a rapper paid thousands for one and now think they have the holy grail, when in reality, the only ones with true value are high-quality condition, first edition base set cards from the 1997 run.

Emulators and remasters do harm the collectibles market for games, though some people will always want a physical game. The garbage pail cards were up with Pokemon card value for a time, but the above is a known issue now that has scared collectors off boxed versions.

Trading cards seem to have long held some kind of shared cultural fascination in Japan and the West - there is still a fairly robust market for all kinds of trading cards. In Pokemon, there were four 'Illustrator Cards' released that were contest prizes in Japan in 1999. One sold last year for £200,000 at auction and the same person is now ridiculously trying to flog it for over a million having apparently rejected offers of more than double what he paid. Michael Jordan's 86-87 Fleer Rookie Card, if in good condition is worth north of £250k, though there's scant few left out of the hands of collectors (I'm almost certain this is one of those that hundreds of American families will have sitting in an album in a box in their attic).

Still to this day the most expensive trading card ever sold was early 20th Century Pittsburgh Short-Stop Honus Wagner. An oddly good condition card went for £3 million at auction some years back.

PSA do a fairly interesting blog (for nerds like me) where they speculate on what the next trend in trading cards will be, whether the current pokemon market boom is a bubble etc. Part of why vintage baseball cards are worth so much is purely age, and as time goes on, good examples of rare cards dwindle, as you would imagine. This is driving the Pokemon card boom - the original base sets are now pushing 25 years old, with good condition cards rarer and rarer. Just having any base set card from the first edition run in a 9 or 10 grade will be worth a few hundred, however crap the card is itself.  So whilst it seems a bubble currently, and will likely burst, give it another ten years and there will be another, larger bubble likely. Now people have cottoned onto the condition that cards need to be kept in, most people have them in protective sleeves, out of any light source and never touch them with their bare hands. Stuff like this will preserve the quality. This one has been driven by the fact that kids who grew up with Pokemon are now social media influencers chasing rare collectibles.

Note: If anyone has any base set (Base Set, Fossil, Team Rocket, Jungle, Gym Heroes) Pokemon Cards they either: Want valued, or want to sell, let me know.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:47:11 am by Drinks Sangria »

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2021, 03:40:24 pm »
Anyone know the best place to get protector sleeves for things like CDs, Vinyls, magazines and so on?

See things on eBay but I want good quality stuff professional collectors use. Need to start looking after my rarer things.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2021, 10:42:22 am »
Anyone know the best place to get protector sleeves for things like CDs, Vinyls, magazines and so on?

See things on eBay but I want good quality stuff professional collectors use. Need to start looking after my rarer things.
I use Ultra Pro Semi Rigids - can get them on Amazon and they do the trick for trading cards.

For Vinyls, I use SpinCare Outer Vinyl Gatefold LP covers - they can be a bit fiddly though and I have to be mega careful when opening them up. My mate who's a far bigger collector than I swears by Diskeeper Anti-Static Sleeves. Pricey but great reviews.

Condition is everything if you're thinking of selling some way down the line.

I'm, currently trying to complete my collection of Gym Challenge and Gym Heroes Pokemon Cards from the 2000 Base Sets - value has boomed of late so there's the temptation to sell what I bought last year at triple what I paid for them as this current hype on Pokemon Cards is unsustainable. Long term there will be a market but right now it's absolute ridiculous. Saying that I managed to get ones in great condition and don't want to relinquish  ;D

My Japanese Neo Promo cards that I have neither use for or nostalgic memories of are all listed at the moment and there's a few tidy bidding wars ongoing. The state of the market right now makes me wonder whether it's genuine collectors or idiots with too much time and money on their hands who think they're playing the stock market.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2021, 10:55:49 am »
I quite like retro stuff, not to the point that I’d pay for unopened consoles or anything, I just can’t be arsed, but I quite like to have one of each system which I’ve enjoyed over the years in its original format.

Currently I own a PS1, PS3, N64, GameCube, Wii and I have the mini versions of the SNES and Megadrive.  I’d quite like to get an original SNES at some point and possibly a PS2 and a few games for each which aren’t readily available on things like the Switch online store.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 11:25:04 am »
I quite like retro stuff, not to the point that I’d pay for unopened consoles or anything, I just can’t be arsed, but I quite like to have one of each system which I’ve enjoyed over the years in its original format.

Currently I own a PS1, PS3, N64, GameCube, Wii and I have the mini versions of the SNES and Megadrive.  I’d quite like to get an original SNES at some point and possibly a PS2 and a few games for each which aren’t readily available on things like the Switch online store.
From consoles in the last two decades, Dreamcasts still have some traction on auction sites, selling one with a working controller can net you upwards of £50 if the condition is good.

In terms of consoles outperforming their original retail price, it's typically niche collector's editions that do  end up being valued at crazy money. The Pokemon Stadium N64 Battle Set was just a Black N64 in a Pokemon Box, but if you still have that box the Console is worth £500. The Pikachu N64 (one I've actually got, my original N64 from Toys R Us maybe 1999?) is worth north of £500 too. Anyone who remembers the Game Boy Micro (why would you?) - there was a Red Pikachu version that had a limited run in 2005. It's not the Pokemon branding that has made it valuable - around £2,000 - but the fact it was the last console ever manufactured to carry the Game Boy branding before the move to DS. There's loads of limited edition pokemon consoles given out at tournaments that are worth 5 figures.

My knowledge on non-Pokemon merch and memorabilia isn't fantastic, but there's a Minish Cap Game Boy SP that was a UK exclusive - it contained a misprint on the box and was coloured gold. Around 500 were produced and only sold by physical retailers in London, Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol and Newcastle (check your lofts RAWK). £8,000.

And the holy-grail is the Sony Nintendo. If that ever got into the hands of a private seller I reckon you'd see it go for millions.