Author Topic: LIVERPOOL TRANSFER THREAD - WELCOME, 'A PLAYER'!!  (Read 2493364 times)

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Thiago Alacantra
« Reply #120 on: July 7, 2020, 01:24:19 am »
Injury prone and inconsistent.  Pass.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #121 on: July 7, 2020, 01:33:44 am »
It’s a fair point. Could Thiago do this?

You can't teach that kind of technical ineptitude, you're born with it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #122 on: July 7, 2020, 08:07:35 am »
He would also be blocking Curtis's path which is something Klopp said he wouldn't do. I would prefer to do something about left back instead, we are more needy in that position.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: July 7, 2020, 08:16:05 am »
He would also be blocking Curtis's path which is something Klopp said he wouldn't do. I would prefer to do something about left back instead, we are more needy in that position.

We aren't Arsenal. If a player of that talent is available at the right price, you buy him and you worry about Jones later.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #124 on: July 7, 2020, 08:18:49 am »
We aren't Arsenal. If a player of that talent is available at the right price, you buy him and you worry about Jones later.

Well yeah exactly, which is why we wouldn’t go and sign someone just because they’re good and available. If there is any interest, it’ll be part of a plan.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #125 on: July 7, 2020, 08:46:08 am »
That's a terrible approach.

I do believe that if an elite player like Thiago is available for a bargain then every team, including us, should consider it. But we haven't got this far by making decisions on a whim and not considering future effect. In fact, it's the exact opposite of our strategy.

For what it's worth, I don't see him blocking Jones because they are entirely different players. If he joins, it would probably be the end of (tears) Wij.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: July 7, 2020, 08:48:41 am »

He is injury prone and it's goes entirely against the philosophy we've had at the club in the past successful years. This signing makes no sense, his wages alone would probably cause unrest, just don't see the point.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: July 7, 2020, 09:09:48 am »
It’s a fair point. Could Thiago do this?

Is this Fellaini's famous driving run against Bayern?

« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 09:14:55 am by Sangria »
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #128 on: July 7, 2020, 09:14:53 am »

I don't think he blocks Jones, in fact the opposite could be true. With Thiago and Fabinho anchoring the midfield, Jones could play the most advanced midfield role with real freedom to attack. Of course he'd have to share this role with Naby and Ox.

I think Curtis Jones will play a midfield role, rather than be in the roaming front '3'.

If Klopp really likes Thiago, from having seen a lot of him at Bayern over 7 years now, I think might want to see if a deal is possible. Yes, we generally don't buy at 29 but sometimes in sport, the experienced talent comes along and can be the right fit to move things on.

Time will tell.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: July 7, 2020, 09:19:11 am »
I don't think he blocks Jones, in fact the opposite could be true. With Thiago and Fabinho anchoring the midfield, Jones could play the most advanced midfield role with real freedom to attack. Of course he'd have to share this role with Naby and Ox.

I think Curtis Jones will play a midfield role, rather than be in the roaming front '3'.

If Klopp really likes Thiago, from having seen a lot of him at Bayern over 7 years now, I think might want to see if a deal is possible. Yes, we generally don't buy at 29 but sometimes in sport, the experienced talent comes along and can be the right fit to move things on.

Time will tell.

The biggest problem for me is we need left back cover more desperately than yet another midfielder who we already are well stocked for. With money tight, this would be nothing more than a luxury signing when we need other positions filling out first.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: July 7, 2020, 09:55:52 am »
Mel Reddy has published an article today in which she lays out a pretty strong argument for why it is unlikely to happen, including Thiago’s fairly extensive list of injuries and fitness issues and the potential for him being another player who might need a lengthy period of adapting to our methods which obviously isn’t ideal for a 29 year old. She says Liverpool have “knocked down” the talk to her.

She also says he’d cost more than the £30m being reported and notes that United are now being linked while more clubs will be as he wants a club that will give him one last big contract and Bayern want to bring interested clubs to the table.

She does mention Aouar as an option who could bring the same attributes and quality to our midfield without being so at odds with our methodology, and that the club is guarding against the squad aging together and putting ourselves in a position where we would need to rebuild rather than maintain our “continuation of advancement”, so signing a 29 year old would be counter-productive. She says the chief tenet of Klopp, Edwards and Gordon’s recruitment strategy is “do not get sucked into abandoning the principles that have got the club to this point”.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 10:09:08 am by Oskar »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #131 on: July 7, 2020, 10:06:58 am »

She does mention Aouar as an option who could bring the same attributes and quality to our midfield without being so at odds with our transfer strategy

Yes please, although the thought of having to deal with that twat of a chairman at Lyon again is not good.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Mactavish

• Anny Roader
« Reply #132 on: July 7, 2020, 10:14:09 am »
Mel Reddy has published an article today in which she lays out a pretty strong argument for why it is unlikely to happen, including Thiago’s fairly extensive list of injuries and fitness issues and the potential for him being another player who might need a lengthy period of adapting to our methods which obviously isn’t ideal for a 29 year old. She says Liverpool have “knocked down” the talk to her.

She also says he’d cost more than the £30m being reported and notes that United are now being linked while more clubs will be as he wants a club that will give him one last big contract and Bayern want to bring interested clubs to the table.

She does mention Aouar as an option who could bring the same attributes and quality to our midfield without being so at odds with our methodology, and that the club is guarding against the squad aging together and putting ourselves in a position where we would need to rebuild rather than maintain our “continuation of advancement”, so signing a 29 year old would be counter-productive. She says the chief tenet of Klopp, Edwards and Gordon’s recruitment strategy is “do not get sucked into abandoning the principles that have got the club to this point”.

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1280420413034692608?s=19

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: July 7, 2020, 10:18:43 am »
Yes please, although the thought of having to deal with that twat of a chairman at Lyon again is not good.

Apparently Juninho Pernambucano (who used to smash in free kicks for Lyon) is the Director of Football and deals with transfers now instead of Aulas.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: July 7, 2020, 10:21:15 am »
Mel Reddy... says the chief tenet of Klopp, Edwards and Gordon’s recruitment strategy is “do not get sucked into abandoning the principles that have got the club to this point”.

Amen to that.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 10:22:54 am by royhendo »
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: July 7, 2020, 10:28:18 am »
Guarding against the squad ageing together? In what way are we doing that?

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #136 on: July 7, 2020, 10:28:32 am »

I remember Mel saying we looked at him last summer I think it was but we decided against it. Maybe we will look at him next summer if we have a change of heart.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: July 7, 2020, 10:52:27 am »

As an aside, her English is consistently dreadful.

"But with Liverpool conscious of guarding against the squad ageing together, which would require a rebuild rather than a continuation of advancement, wouldn’t it be counter-productive to bring in someone that aids what they’re trying to avoid?"

Absolutely dreadful. Chief football writer at The Independent.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: July 7, 2020, 10:55:19 am »
As an aside, her English is consistently dreadful.

"But with Liverpool conscious of guarding against the squad ageing together, which would require a rebuild rather than a continuation of advancement, wouldn’t it be counter-productive to bring in someone that aids what they’re trying to avoid?"

Absolutely dreadful. Chief football writer at The Independent.

Given the abysmal design of their website, that probably makes her a good fit in that case.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: July 7, 2020, 11:01:20 am »
She said this last week in an article about our recruitment strategy:

City are in need of an immediate rebuild, while Liverpool are already consciously working on not letting the squad grow stale together. Jordan Henderson is 30, Virgil van Dijk and the front three are 28, but there is youth in the squad (Joe Gomez, Trent Alexander-Arnold) with the next generation - Harvey Elliot, Neco Williams, Ki-Jana Hoever, Layton Clarkson and the like - being blooded. Edwards has been forward planning for each area of the squad.

When the time comes to replace their crucial assets - whether due to passing their peak or seeking new challenges like Philippe Coutinho did - Liverpool's recruitment team back themselves to produce.

So presumably, guarding against the squad aging together means looking to the long-term and having some sort of succession plan in place for the spine of our squad that are 28-30.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 12:02:51 pm by Oskar »

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: July 7, 2020, 11:01:53 am »
Well yeah exactly, which is why we wouldn’t go and sign someone just because they’re good and available. If there is any interest, it’ll be part of a plan.

I get that and fully invested in it, but when a gem comes along, its worth having a proper look.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: July 7, 2020, 11:16:35 am »
She said this last week in an article about our recruitment strategy:

So presumably, guarding against the squad again together means looking to the long-term and having some sort of succession plan in place for the spine of our squad that are 28-30.

Agree, but the two are not mutually exclusive. We can buy Thiago and still plan for the future in other ways.

I know Klopp doesn't like a bloated squad, but the number of players we can buy is not finite either.

It's not totally in realms of fantasy that we lose Lallana, Milner and Gini over the next two summers. We're unlikely to lose all three, but it's not impossible.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #142 on: July 7, 2020, 11:22:01 am »
I know what you mean would be good if we don't get Adam.

;D

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: July 7, 2020, 11:23:22 am »

The Arsenal strategy for years is buying players for positions they don't need whilst ignoring area's thry need improvement, usually with older players who have played at a top club and looking for a big money final move.

In that sense Thiago is absolutely an Arsenal move. We dont need a midfielder, and particularly not a 29 year old midfielder wanting big wages, and who I doubt is as cheap as being touted.

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: July 7, 2020, 11:30:06 am »
Agree, but the two are not mutually exclusive. We can buy Thiago and still plan for the future in other ways.

I know Klopp doesn't like a bloated squad, but the number of players we can buy is not finite either.

It's not totally in realms of fantasy that we lose Lallana, Milner and Gini over the next two summers. We're unlikely to lose all three, but it's not impossible.

Or we look to buy a younger player in that position with similar attributes and a high ceiling of potential, like Aouar.

She does mention in the article that Lallana, Wijnaldum and Milner could all leave in the next couple of years but counters it by questioning whether signing a 29 year old who since 2017/18 has suffered with groin, ankle, muscle, spine, calf and knee issues as a replacement would be the sensible option.

She doesn't say explicitly that we want Aouar or will try to sign him, but it is a fair point; Lyon didn't qualify for Europe next season, they've spoken publicly about possibly needing to sell their best players this summer, so it might be an opportune time to move for anyone there we're interested in, assuming we do like Aouar. Thiago would cost more than the £30m that has been reported and, in Melissa's words, wants his "last mega-contract". So with all that in mind, I think a player like Aouar would make more sense from a sporting and business perspective than Thiago, if we have that much available to spend and do want another midfielder.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 11:33:23 am by Oskar »

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #145 on: July 7, 2020, 11:33:39 am »
I'm not even sure because  the likes of Sancho, Havertz and every other young superstar will end up at different clubs. Having another quiet window, I don't really see any succession planning.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 11:43:25 am by Dynasty »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: July 7, 2020, 11:38:12 am »
Is there not a thread in the main forum moaning about us not signing anyon....oh it’s locked ;D
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: July 7, 2020, 11:39:48 am »
I'm not even sure because  the like of Sancho, Havertz and every other young superstar will end up at different clubs. Having another quiet window, I don't really see any succession planning.

So, you don't thinking bringing the likes of Jones, Elliot or Williams is succession planning? These have all been given good contracts now and its clear the manager has belief in them. It's been said by a number of the LFC journalists that Curtis is seen as Lallana's direct replacement, it's also pretty clear that Neco will deputise for Trent and only a matter of time before Elliot will be given more chances. The problem is some people only seem to think buying players contributes to succession planning when the truth is there is more than one way to meet this criteria.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: July 7, 2020, 11:40:54 am »
Yeah, that's one thing I don't get. Even now, we are not playing the supposed future players enough to judge them at all and the league has been realistically over for a while now.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: July 7, 2020, 11:41:52 am »
Lothar Matthaus speaks sense, listen to Lothar lads.

"With Thiago, I'm pretty sure the signs are goodbye. What other reason would he have for not yet accepting Bayern's offer? Liverpool are obviously very popular with him and he would absolutely fit into Jurgen Klopp's team."

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: July 7, 2020, 11:43:44 am »
So, you don't thinking bringing the likes of Jones, Elliot or Williams is succession planning? These have all been given good contracts now and its clear the manager has belief in them. It's been said by a number of the LFC journalists that Curtis is seen as Lallana's direct replacement, it's also pretty clear that Neco will deputise for Trent and only a matter of time before Elliot will be given more chances. The problem is some people only seem to think buying players contributes to succession planning when the truth is there is more than one way to meet this criteria.
None of them are anywhere near ready enough to play regular first team football and keep us at the top, especially when others are strengthening heavily.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #151 on: July 7, 2020, 11:46:58 am »
Lothar Matthaus speaks sense, listen to Lothar lads.

Hmmmm, 29 never played in the Premier league and suffers quite a bit with injuries. In an all action Klopp midfield? I'm not sure.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: July 7, 2020, 11:51:03 am »
None of them are anywhere near ready enough to play regular first team football and keep us at the top, especially when others are strengthening heavily.

The likes of Neco and Curtis have already played in big matches and have beaten the BS and got a good result against Arsenal. Of course Neco won't start games, in most case Trent will. But he will be used more and more as the season goes on, he's proved he can fit into the style of play we use. He just needs more experience and I'm pretty sure all three of these players will earn that next season.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: July 7, 2020, 11:52:10 am »

Are they? Window hasnt opened yet and with the effect of Covid the only team we know has big money to spend is Chelsea. City have money from the Sane deal but how much they spend, and their ability to attract players, is reliant heavily on the UEFA ban decision.

Everyone else is all speculation at this point without an idea of their money. I mean we are still being linked regularly to big money transfers fespite the fact we know we don't have that kind of money.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #154 on: July 7, 2020, 11:52:17 am »
I've no idea if he'll end up coming here or not, but it's absolutely amusing to see how some people are continuing to beat the "but he's 29" drum as if that's old and he's on his last legs.  ;D

News flash lads, Mane is 28, Salah is 28, Firmino is 28, and Van Dijk turns 29 tomorrow. Fuck me, 3 of the 4 are nearly finished and poor Virgil is nearing retirement.  :'(

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: July 7, 2020, 11:53:56 am »
I've no idea if he'll end up coming here or not, but it's absolutely amusing to see how some people are continuing to beat the "but he's 29" drum as if that's old and he's on his last legs.  ;D

News flash lads, Mane is 28, Salah is 28, Firmino is 28, and Van Dijk turns 29 tomorrow. Fuck me, 3 of the 4 are nearly finished and poor Virgil is nearing retirement.  :'(

How old where they when they had to adapt to the hardest working system in world football? Thiago will have to adapt to a faster league, in the hardest club to adapt to, at the age of 29 and with an injury record. It absolutely is valid to raise his age in this regard.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: July 7, 2020, 11:56:01 am »
Yeah, that's one thing I don't get. Even now, we are not playing the supposed future players enough to judge them at all and the league has been realistically over for a while now.

We’re not playing them enough for you to judge them.

The manager and coaches have had plenty of time to judge them, which is why they’ve got new contracts and are getting game time now.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #157 on: July 7, 2020, 11:57:06 am »
The injury prone part is valid with Thiago - he’s had at least 5 injuries at Bayern that kept him out of the team for a significant enough run of games. But I am not sure his age is actually that valid an argument.  He’d likely play at a high level into his mid 30’s, I don’t think his brain is slowing down too much anytime soon.

But the injury side of it, yeah I’d be really wary of that.

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: July 7, 2020, 12:04:31 pm »
The injury prone part is valid with Thiago - he’s had at least 5 injuries at Bayern that kept him out of the team for a significant enough run of games. But I am not sure his age is actually that valid an argument.  He’d likely play at a high level into his mid 30’s, I don’t think his brain is slowing down too much anytime soon.

But the injury side of it, yeah I’d be really wary of that.

Thats fair, but it will be a faster system he is playing in. No one doubts his ability to process on the pitch. I think an argument could be raised that if we get him, he would play very differently from any of our current midfielders; less direct in movement but more direct in passing.

I think the other bigger question to this all is if this is really needed. I mean I don't know about everyone else but I feel our midfield has been absolutely amazing the past 2 seasons.

Thiago I feel would be a shift in focus for our midfield, from a highly intense engine, looking to quickly turn over possession to the area's of threat (out wide), to one which is perhaps a little less intense and quick, but more creative in itself. But is that change needed and necessary, or is this a luxury signing when there are area's that need bolstering?

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: July 7, 2020, 12:06:26 pm »

Do we need to replace Salah, Mane, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Milner, etc this summer? Succession planning is about replacing them when the time is right

This summer was always (pre-Covid) going to be about increasing the quality of the squad- so Werner was going to be an upgrade on Origi, back up left back and a young centre back to replace Lovren and provide competition for Matip/ Gomez.

This all comes down to people worried because other teams are being linked with good (expensive) players. That was always going to be the case, they are miles behind the champions. We are one of the most methodical, analytical teams in terms of recruitment- everyone panicked when we didn't sign VVD and just wanted us to spend. When the time is right and the right options are there- we will buy who we want to improve us