Author Topic: Bold Street and Castle street to be pedestrianised (trial run)  (Read 10296 times)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Bold Street and Castle street to be pedestrianised (trial run)
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2020, 03:36:58 pm »
The Council and the Business Improvement District (BID) are funding and supplying a lot of quality outdoor equipment.
A few days of clear skies would be nice for everyone.

Think they can claim up to £4k, so not funding it all (then again you'd hope most could do it for under that).

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #81 on: July 10, 2020, 06:56:40 pm »
Was there before and had the pleasure of bumping into Sheila Coleman.

It's got a nice vibe to it but what I've learned is it's easier to manouvere between cars than people .... especially phone zombies.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 10, 2020, 07:47:39 pm »
Or a horn on me bike that the big Yankee trucks have. That'll put the shits up them.

Smashed Iphones all over town ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 10, 2020, 08:04:54 pm »
Smashed Iphones all over town ;D

Just imagine what a horn that sounded like a speeding train would do.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2020, 08:47:59 pm »
Been out on Castle St since 3ish. They’ve got it down here, places properly distanced, asking for name and number on the way in that you put in a little book, table service.

Nice to be out in the normal world.

Attempting a restaurant (Sanskruti) at 9 so will see how that is.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2020, 11:43:41 pm »
Been out on Castle St since 3ish. They’ve got it down here, places properly distanced, asking for name and number on the way in that you put in a little book, table service.

Nice to be out in the normal world.

Attempting a restaurant (Sanskruti) at 9 so will see how that is.
My 18 yr old was on Castle street yesterday. She said is was really well organised albeit you need to be smart phone savy to download apps to make orders.
Taking your drinks off trays when delivered is a simple idea.
Hopefully outdoor spacing in the sun can help. We all know though, that if it gets hot, the streets will be chocka again, all over town.
So bars implementing good, reasonable and simple solutions are yet to be fully tested.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2020, 12:23:10 am »
My 18 yr old was on Castle street yesterday. She said is was really well organised albeit you need to be smart phone savy to download apps to make orders.
Taking your drinks off trays when delivered is a simple idea.
Hopefully outdoor spacing in the sun can help. We all know though, that if it gets hot, the streets will be chocka again, all over town.
So bars implementing good, reasonable and simple solutions are yet to be fully tested.

Went in maybe 4 of the not so many bars there tonight (went for a few last night too), none of them were doing smart phone ordering. All did table orders, well spaced tables both inside and out. One bar was a little rowdy (and literally by that I mean maybe 10 18-21yr olds around one table 2m from everyone else) but still they had plenty on the door making sure they sat you to a table.

Genuinely impressed. There are busier areas in town but that wasn’t bad at all.

Ate at Sanskruti and it was a bit weird. Very very well spaced, but this was a restaurant which didn’t even open for delivery during lockdown. All waiting staff wore plastic face guards at all times.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2020, 05:30:49 pm »
Isn't there also a new one next to Lime St, on Skelhorne St?

Yep. Just seen it.

Over and Out....  :wave

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2020, 10:11:00 am »
Bold Street wont be Bold street until the guy with the hand organ or Saxophone is back out :P

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2020, 12:22:08 pm »
Went in maybe 4 of the not so many bars there tonight (went for a few last night too), none of them were doing smart phone ordering. All did table orders, well spaced tables both inside and out. One bar was a little rowdy (and literally by that I mean maybe 10 18-21yr olds around one table 2m from everyone else) but still they had plenty on the door making sure they sat you to a table.

Genuinely impressed. There are busier areas in town but that wasn’t bad at all.

Ate at Sanskruti and it was a bit weird. Very very well spaced, but this was a restaurant which didn’t even open for delivery during lockdown. All waiting staff wore plastic face guards at all times.
Great to hear

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2020, 08:37:15 pm »
Just imagine what a horn that sounded like a speeding train would do.

Have you not seen the episode of Scrubs with JD's new "16 wheeler" horn on his scooter? ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2020, 09:39:27 pm »
Out on Castle St now and they’ve got so much more seating outside. It was packed tonight..

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2020, 10:57:38 am »
Out on Castle St now and they’ve got so much more seating outside. It was packed tonight..

Do you need to book or use an app?

Waiting for your tourist guide for the bars and restaurants of Castle Street. :D

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2020, 02:38:04 pm »
Do you need to book or use an app?

Waiting for your tourist guide for the bars and restaurants of Castle Street. :D

Places are taking bookings but we managed to get into everywhere without one. Liverpool Gin Distillery have a tablet type thing you look into and it takes your temp and either gives you a green or red light, but otherwise they are all mostly just taking names, time in and a number in a book.

It’s starting to look good down there now with how many seats they have outside. Even the likes of Mowgli have a space outside one of the old banks which is closed.

Hopefully they see the benefit of this and create down all year covered outdoor seating areas, sort of like many European cities have, as it’s perfect for it down there.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2020, 03:20:47 pm »
Places are taking bookings but we managed to get into everywhere without one. Liverpool Gin Distillery have a tablet type thing you look into and it takes your temp and either gives you a green or red light, but otherwise they are all mostly just taking names, time in and a number in a book.

It’s starting to look good down there now with how many seats they have outside. Even the likes of Mowgli have a space outside one of the old banks which is closed.

Hopefully they see the benefit of this and create down all year covered outdoor seating areas, sort of like many European cities have, as it’s perfect for it down there.

We usually finish up down there at McGuffies or the Sanctuary. The only problem is the weather!

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2020, 03:21:59 pm »
Last night was cycling down Dale St and a couple walked out of Castle Street and walked across Dale Street and verbally abused me as I didnt stop for them.

Eh ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2020, 03:24:18 pm »
I reckon Bold Street has a better vibe than Castle Street . What Ive noticed is when on Bold Street I see people that Ive not seen ages and stop and have a gab. This is the beauty of people sitting outside.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2020, 09:48:43 pm »
Theres changes on Lark Lane too as theres ballards on the both sides of the road and its a one way system. There looks like markings on the pavement were new seating will be .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2020, 10:10:37 pm »
Theres changes on Lark Lane too as theres ballards on the both sides of the road and its a one way system. There looks like markings on the pavement were new seating will be .
Permanent one-way system to accommodate a bit more pedestrianisation I think Kesey mate.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2020, 01:50:07 pm »
Permanent one-way system to accommodate a bit more pedestrianisation I think Kesey mate.

I read somewhere that the pavements are being widened to seats . Going to be weird seeing no parked cars on the lane. Also its going to take time getting use to not being able to cycle towards the Aigburth Road end.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2020, 02:16:22 pm »

The changes to Lark Lane have been grotesque.  It's supposed to be a conservation area ffs.  Shops aren't even allowed to add awnings, but they've put fucking huge, luminous yellow bollards in the road to screen off the parking spaces - which doesn't take into account some people actually LIVE on the lane and shops, bars etc taking deliveries.

Popcorn's Art

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2020, 02:18:21 pm »
The changes to Lark Lane have been grotesque.  It's supposed to be a conservation area ffs.  Shops aren't even allowed to add awnings, but they've put fucking huge, luminous yellow bollards in the road to screen off the parking spaces - which doesn't take into account some people actually LIVE on the lane and shops, bars etc taking deliveries.

Has it not been done like Castle / Bold with the concrete blocks blocking access via someone driving their car onto the pavement and pop up / down bollards on the actual road allowing access between certain times?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2020, 02:22:31 pm »
Has it not been done like Castle / Bold with the concrete blocks blocking access via someone driving their car onto the pavement and pop up / down bollards on the actual road allowing access between certain times?

They have drilled the bollards straight into the tarmac.

Popcorn's Art

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2020, 02:23:12 pm »
Oh wow, what a fucking mess that looks  :butt

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2020, 02:25:58 pm »
Oh wow, what a fucking mess that looks  :butt

Exactly.  I know people who live on the lane who now can't even park in front of their own homes.  Shops can't take deliveries, hell you can't even get groceries.  Everything has been double yellowed, and there's temporary tarmac ramps been added between pavements and roads.

Popcorn's Art

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2020, 02:54:15 pm »

That looks a proper mess. I'd be glad if they made it pedestrianised, the amount of people driving through as a shortcut or looking for parking spaces is crazy.

Are you sure that isn't a cycle lane though? They've used those bollards to screen off the cycle lane at the top of Sefton Park. Would make sense to be able to cycle against the one-way traffic
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 02:57:06 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2020, 03:02:10 pm »
That looks a proper mess. I'd be glad if they made it pedestrianised, the amount of people driving through as a shortcut or looking for parking spaces is crazy.

Are you sure that isn't a cycle lane though? They've used those bollards to screen off the cycle lane at the top of Sefton Park. Would make sense to be able to cycle against the one-way traffic

I don't know about cycling,  but a cycle lane wouldn't need both sides of the street. They've made the lane one way, so presumably they've deliberately narrowed the road on both sides, so traffic can only flow in one direction. There's no way for traffic to access the cordoned areas, and as the picture shows, they've double yellowed both sides of the street.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2020, 04:58:14 pm »

Please dont tell me they are permanent.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2020, 06:01:39 pm »

They likely are. They did them this way on the road our offices are on in Manc

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2020, 06:52:57 pm »

I've no idea, but if they are I imagine the local community will be up in arms.

Thing is, even if they remove them later on, the road will need resurfacing.  It will be full of fucking bolt holes otherwise - not to mention all the lumps of tarmac that have been added to kerbsides the past week.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2020, 06:53:56 pm »
They likely are. They did them this way on the road our offices are on in Manc

Well that's fucked it for me. Why not have wooden boxes with plants in ?

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2020, 06:57:21 pm »
Sounds like it’s temporary similar to Castle and Bold St.

Although if it proves successful I think they intend to do proper work to make it permanent (and given the pavements need doing down there anyway I guess this is likely).

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2020, 06:59:02 pm »
The lark lane one is a full 18 month trial. Residents were given less than a weeks notice of it happening.

I reckon the red bollards will be temporary before something more permanent goes in.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2020, 07:00:29 pm »
The lark lane one is a full 18 month trial. Residents were given less than a weeks notice of it happening.

I reckon the red bollards will be temporary before something more permanent goes in.

Ah that’s interesting. Hopefully means the Castle St one will be extended too.

Online redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2020, 07:26:30 am »
Well that's fucked it for me. Why not have wooden boxes with plants in ?

It's a cycle lane.

Of course, having big massive boxes with plants in right in the middle of a bike lane would be typical ::)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2020, 04:09:32 pm »
The Manc bollards are alright if it is for a cycle lane. You wouldn´t want those Lark Lane ones as permanant though. I don´t see what is wrong with doing them like they have them here in Barca and a lot of other European cities though:

https://cdn.barcelona-top-travel-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/02/image1.jpeg

Bit more discreet, but still segregated.

I am looking forward to getting back and seeing the new cycle infrastructure to be honest. Some roads were crying out for cycle paths and were pretty scary to cycle on at times (Prinny Ave from 16:00 - 18:30 on the way out of town was always fucking horrible)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:11:24 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2020, 04:47:07 pm »
The Manc bollards are alright if it is for a cycle lane. You wouldn´t want those Lark Lane ones as permanant though. I don´t see what is wrong with doing them like they have them here in Barca and a lot of other European cities though:

https://cdn.barcelona-top-travel-tips.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2017/02/image1.jpeg

I am looking forward to getting back and seeing the new cycle infrastructure to be honest. Some roads were crying out for cycle paths and were pretty scary to cycle on at times (Prinny Ave from 16:00 - 18:30 on the way out of town was always fucking horrible)

Will that be included in the work they've been doing on the central reservation?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #117 on: July 20, 2020, 04:49:44 pm »
Will that be included in the work they've been doing on the central reservation?

Yeah, a 1km central cycle path.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: July 20, 2020, 04:51:46 pm »

First time I saw those type of segregation was in Menorca. However they won't work in the UK due to twats like these. This is the same section of road in Manc before the bollards went up.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: July 20, 2020, 08:01:32 pm »
When it comes to cycle paths you need something like on Park Lane in Liverpool, where it's built into the road, but separated from it by its own kerb. It's the only way to stop motorists from slipping into the cycle lane.

That said, I've been walking along pavements more than once and found a cyclist coming straight at me, when there is a perfectly good cycle lane clearly marked on the pavement, mere inches away :butt

Popcorn's Art