Author Topic: Ghost of Tsushima  (Read 18078 times)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
Re: Ghost of Tsushima
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2020, 08:47:45 am »
Enjoying this so far. Haven't done much, just the first few missions and a bit of wandering. The combat is really satisfying.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2020, 06:34:25 pm »

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2020, 07:24:29 pm »
The photo mode is to much fun.

Offline Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2020, 01:13:46 pm »
Wow, Sony just confirmed they sold 2.4m copies in 3 days. That performance is insane, especially considering it’s a new IP. I’m waiting until the PS5 to play it but the wait isn’t an easy one because I’ve heard nothing but great things about the game.

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2020, 01:33:33 pm »
Combat is fantastic, but the rest of the game..oof. Pretty bored of it already, about 8 hours in.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2020, 02:26:26 pm »
Combat is fantastic, but the rest of the game..oof. Pretty bored of it already, about 8 hours in.

Horses for courses, but I'm fascinated by everything. The combat is the best thing but following birds and foxes for new stuff is great.

Unlike some other games it's pretty enough to be interesting to explore.

But yeah, at heart I think the combat is the meat and potatoes and not sure outside of that it would be much better than Shadow of Mordor

Some of the side quests are interesting but it isn't the generational leap I want. It's still got some forced stealth, fetch quests, and loads of cut scenes.

But it's grand enough just riding about, blowing hallucination darts into big Mongols, and of course challenging them all to a scrap  ;D

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2020, 03:25:06 pm »
But it's grand enough just riding about, blowing hallucination darts into big Mongols, and of course challenging them all to a scrap  ;D

It really is fun, if it just had some of the depth say RDR2 or Witcher had, it could be incredible. For me the world just feels pretty hollow. The combat might be enough to make me finish it, though. The comparison to Shadow of Mordor is a good one.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2020, 03:50:38 pm »
I fucking love this. About 10 hours in and havent gone to rescue the Uncle yet, just been exploring the island and riding around liberating towns and did the side quests you could/find shrines/etc

I actually really enjoy exploring in this game purely cause I find the views stunning, really beautiful game, the art style and direction is great.

Love standoffs too, makes you feel super badass.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2020, 03:59:58 pm »
I'm near the end of Act 2 (I think there's 3?) and I'm still finding loads of progression and new elements to the game and my character build

This is lovely really. It's keeping my interest. Just throwing enough into the mix to keep it fresh.

I think the little touches make it really. Wind blowing instead of a minimap. Being able to play a tune to make it sunny though.. I need that skill irl  ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2020, 04:28:18 pm »
I'm about 10 hours in and still in Act 1. Just been doing the side missions which have been great to be honest and finding shrines etc.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2020, 04:50:08 pm »
I'm about 10 hours in and still in Act 1. Just been doing the side missions which have been great to be honest and finding shrines etc.

Sure you said on here you played Sekiro.

Hows it comparing mate?

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2020, 05:48:52 pm »
Sure you said on here you played Sekiro.

Hows it comparing mate?

Really good to be honest mate, same style of combat but this has more of a grounded story as opposed to the fantasy elements in Sekiro. I'm loving it mate.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2020, 06:06:06 pm »
I'm a bit of a fan of Zen and Japanese religion (not too heavy, but a few books n that) and I'm loving the setting

Seen it bandied about that Jin the main dude is "dry" and all that, but he's a 13th century Samurai who were trained in Zen & Bushido... wouldn't make sense for him to be Trevor

There's progression there though. The Ghost thing, I LOVE it's not supernatural but is a style of play that depends on how "honourable" your approach is. And seeing Jin get into that is boss

The setting, if you include visuals, is a great great element. Also play it with headphones on and it adds another dimension, wow!

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2020, 08:51:36 am »
I'm a bit of a fan of Zen and Japanese religion (not too heavy, but a few books n that) and I'm loving the setting

Seen it bandied about that Jin the main dude is "dry" and all that, but he's a 13th century Samurai who were trained in Zen & Bushido... wouldn't make sense for him to be Trevor

There's progression there though. The Ghost thing, I LOVE it's not supernatural but is a style of play that depends on how "honourable" your approach is. And seeing Jin get into that is boss

The setting, if you include visuals, is a great great element. Also play it with headphones on and it adds another dimension, wow!
I see the criticism of Jin by a lot of folk too.  I agree with you that it's because of who he is and how he was trained.  Even at that, though, he does seem to open up the more you play.

I don't know how many hours I've put into this so far but I reckon it must be a good 12 hours minimum and I only finished act 1 last night.  I'm doing every single side quest I can see - I don't know the last time I did this in a game (I wanted to in Witcher 3 but it was just too big of a game, this seems just about manageable in that respect).

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2020, 04:09:23 pm »
I'm liking Jin more. Without spoilers, it's interesting the Ghost side of him.

And how he deals with people... That Kenji, what an annoying prick! But so much character. Sucker Punch know what they're doing (so much of this game oozes refinement and class), and his side quest pals are fascinating. Really feel for some of them.

This is my Game of the Year. My driving lesson today was an hour off so I just picked this up for fifteen minutes. I get how Red Dead 2 is a commitment but this seriously is playable in chunks.

Had to laugh at him meditating in a spring in the south of the first island though. One of the topics was "Kenji's sake" and he says, sitting in a hot spring, "the only thing that could make this better is sake".

Jin knows what's what!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 04:11:37 pm by ToneLa »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2020, 04:15:36 pm »
By the way, this blew my mind:

The weather changes based on how honourable you are (as in Ghosty or not).

That thunder all the time? It's cause you use loads of Ghost powers instead of offering anyone & everyone out!

Such layers.. .

Tell you what though, as "game mechanics you want in real life" goes. A little tune to bring out the sun? I'd be proper abusing that talent irl  ;D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2020, 04:40:54 pm »
I don't understand the criticism about Jin as a character. He's a samurai. I've seen some reviewers complain about this like it's a big deal. He's accurate. That's all that matters here. A counter argument would be to just go and tell them to watch most of Akira Kurosawa's films, especially Yojimbo. Jin is Jin because it's in his code and way of life to behave almost emotionless or one note. Tonally, he's absolutely bang on. The glimpses of his character and personality have all mostly come whenever you find the hot springs and you chose to reflect on things. That's a fantastic touch.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2020, 04:47:33 pm »
I don't understand the criticism about Jin as a character. He's a samurai. I've seen some reviewers complain about this like it's a big deal. He's accurate. That's all that matters here. A counter argument would be to just go and tell them to watch most of Akira Kurosawa's films, especially Yojimbo. Jin is Jin because it's in his code and way of life to behave almost emotionless or one note. Tonally, he's absolutely bang on. The glimpses of his character and personality have all mostly come whenever you find the hot springs and you chose to reflect on things. That's a fantastic touch.

Yeah I was about to post something similar to this. Do they expect him to be cracking jokes and acting like Spider-Man?

Didn't know about the weather changing due to how you play, no wonder I'm seeing a lot of storms and thunder lately!  ;D

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2020, 04:54:18 pm »
Yeah I was about to post something similar to this. Do they expect him to be cracking jokes and acting like Spider-Man?

Didn't know about the weather changing due to how you play, no wonder I'm seeing a lot of storms and thunder lately!  ;D
I've gone for the mostly "let's have ye, dickhead" route by just sauntering into Mongol camps and checkpoints and offering them a stand-off. I've only done the Ghost thing one or two times because I was getting my balls rolled, but I've found I've avoided it for another reason, and it boils down to it being one of the few gripes I have with the game. It's not major, it just makes it slightly unsatisfying when the AI makes it a bit too easy for you. If there's one complaint I have with the game, it's that the AI can wig out in places, and that the developers have made the Mongols a bit thick by design by having most of them stand with their backs to you. I've encountered a few wee bugs too where Jin will execute thin air when prompted. Nothing a few patches can't fix eventually.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2020, 01:53:13 pm »
Well they've just patched in Lethal difficulty - the AI does seem to change a bit with different levels

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2020, 02:21:22 pm »
Kenji is hilarious.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2020, 02:37:17 pm »
Oh wow, lethal difficulty... I'm dying a lot, but you also kill in one hit or two  :)

Duelling on it is crazy, very hard but very satisfying. Not sure I'll continue on Lethal but, yknow, it is pretty damn realistic - slash someone with a sword and they're not fighting back no matter how big they are!

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2020, 05:33:27 pm »
Bit worried about playing this so soon after finishing Last of Us 2, loved it to bits and don't want my love for that game to skew my view of Ghost of Tsushima.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2020, 05:46:21 pm »
Bit worried about playing this so soon after finishing Last of Us 2, loved it to bits and don't want my love for that game to skew my view of Ghost of Tsushima.
Why would it? They're two completely different games.
Oh wow, lethal difficulty... I'm dying a lot, but you also kill in one hit or two  :)

Duelling on it is crazy, very hard but very satisfying. Not sure I'll continue on Lethal but, yknow, it is pretty damn realistic - slash someone with a sword and they're not fighting back no matter how big they are!
Yeah, I switched to it straight away. Your Katana is as lethal as it should be. I've Jin's techniques up to a point now where I can walk in amongst 10 Mongols and fuck them up in about 10 seconds. I'm even noticing some of them legging it. It's counterbalanced with the fact that one hit from a spear man or one of the big fuckers with the shields can end you no matter how much health you have. It's great. It adds more tension to the combat, but also makes it more satisfying.

• Kopite
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2020, 08:44:31 am »
I'm only 11 or 12 hours in to TLOU2.  I'm really enjoying it...  but I've only played it once, for 15 mins, since I got Ghost.  What a game.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2020, 09:03:03 am »
Think the only criticism I have of this game is that the cut scenes are for the most part extremely boring.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2020, 09:32:45 am »
I must be about 20 hours in and still on Act 1. Agree about the cutscenes but I've found they have gotten better as I've progressed.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2020, 03:06:10 pm »
Why would it? They're two completely different games.

Because I thought TLOU2 was incredible in most aspects (gameplay, graphics and even the story) and anything less than that feels like a downgrade. Even though they are two different games, you can still compare things like gameplay and graphics. Think I just need a weeks break before I get into Ghost properly.

I'm only 11 or 12 hours in to TLOU2.  I'm really enjoying it...  but I've only played it once, for 15 mins, since I got Ghost.  What a game.

I did start Ghost yesterday, played about an hour and a half, I do like it but so far, definitely doesn't lay a glove of TLOU2 for me.

• Kopite
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2020, 03:44:37 pm »

I did start Ghost yesterday, played about an hour and a half, I do like it but so far, definitely doesn't lay a glove of TLOU2 for me.
That's fair.  I definitely prefer Ghost, I definitely wouldn't say it's better.  I just find it so relaxing to roam about and look for cool shit.  I'm a complete nervous wreck when playing TLOU2, even when I know there are no enemies nearby.  Love the game but I can't put in a marathon session like I can with Ghost.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2020, 04:16:55 pm »
Why compare?

I mean, is Xcom 2 better than Halo 2?  :D

Latest cool thing I've found: there is a secret ish vendor who dyes all your armour jet black!

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2020, 04:58:31 pm »
The only direct comparison I would make between TLOU2 and GoT is in respect of enemy AI. The AI in TLOU2 is far more relentless and ready to flush you out of a hole whereas in GOT stealth doesn't feel as tense or rewarding.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2020, 11:45:58 pm »
It's like comparing something like, say, Doom to Tetris. It's just an utterly bizarre thing to be doing. The elements of game design and even the visuals need to be looked at completely differently because of their designs are like comparing apples to oranges.

I'll saying one thing for comparison's sake, though: one is more of a game than the other, and that's as far as I'll take that.

Offline Casta

• way
  • Anny Roader
  • Kiba, Per Sempre nel mio Cuore...
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2020, 11:35:17 am »
In terms of gaming immersion and atmosphere its really good, all the ambient sounds, colour palettes, everything about it is so pretty and pulls you in, the standoffs are pretty good especially when you pull off a multi chain takedown ala the Arkham games, i've not progressed lots yet as i keep getting sidetracked following foxes or those yellow birds, only minor criticism i can level at it so far is there doesn't seem to be much happening in the way of character development to Jin, im hoping this is further in the game.

So far so good
Nostalgia isn’t what it used to be

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2020, 12:38:58 pm »
Just got to the bit in act two where (Main Story Spoilers)

Spoiler
Taka dies, the Khan beheads him in such a brutal way and it's just so brutal and then Jin absolutely loses his cool and goes to town - very good mission and scene afterward with Yuna!
[close]

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2020, 09:14:17 am »
Just got to the bit in act two where (Main Story Spoilers)

Spoiler
Taka dies, the Khan beheads him in such a brutal way and it's just so brutal and then Jin absolutely loses his cool and goes to town - very good mission and scene afterward with Yuna!
[close]

I love that scene (er in terms of effective events, wasn't whooping for joy, I was furious!) That's another thing with the Jin complaints; he does change!

Yuna is boss, prob my fav character!

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2020, 09:23:20 am »
Finally finished Act 1. Lord Shimura is a bit of a tit like isn't he?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2020, 09:52:55 am »
Finally finished Act 1. Lord Shimura is a bit of a tit like isn't he?

;D It makes sense in the story / world when characters kick off about him. There is something I like about him I'll (mildly) spoil:

Spoiler
like leaders don't do anymore, he goes out and fights!
[close]

But aye, he's a tit. Spent most of act 1 dreading meeting him as figured he'd just bollock Jin for DARING to do such UNETHICAL non-Samurai actions as stab the invaders in the back!

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2020, 06:56:35 pm »
Some great characters in this. Each with their own arc too and not just there for the sake of it. Apart from Kenji. He's literally there for the sake.

I'm up to the part where
Spoiler
Ryuzo betrays you and you fight in the pond with the lanterns floating in it, and then he burns someone outside the castle.
[close]
Bit of a Theon Greyjoy character, I reckon. Could be a redemption arc in there for him, I predict, as he's clearly not a pure bastard. He was too hard for me to beat on lethal. Had to knock it down a notch.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: August 2, 2020, 10:47:31 am »
Retaking Castle Shimura is absolutely boss

Glad I did all Jin's mates missions first though!

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2020, 10:13:21 pm »
Going to start this tomorrow, looking forward to it :) Any tips?