Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 635303 times)

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Sure is and I'm pleased for them. Could've easily kicked up a fuss about having to come here and play cricket.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Yep, fair play to them that’s a good win.

England lost that in the first innings. Whether that’s from not bowling first, or just batting poorly I don’t know.

I knew the Windies had a decent bowling attack but they’ve batted resolutely as well. England’s second innings score was decent but when so we placed at 3 down should have added at least another 50.

As I said yesterday, just no one who can consistently make big or match winning scores.

Sets the series up nicely though!

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
they fully deserve their win

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
Good game and well deserved win for the Windies.

Holder the most underrated cricketer in the world I said it to a mate a few years back he really is top class.

I suspect it will Wood/Denny out Root/Broad in.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
Not surprising England are an average test side not many outstanding teams in test arena anymore.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good game and well deserved win for the Windies.

Holder the most underrated cricketer in the world I said it to a mate a few years back he really is top class.

I suspect it will Wood/Denny out Root/Broad in.
Buttler needs to go first thing for me.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
Buttler needs to go first thing for me.

Yeah he isnt a test player doubt they drop him though.

The problems started when we moved Bairstow around a few years back to shoe horn Buttler in as Johnny was probably averaging 35-40 at the time which is good for a number 7.

Foakes is next in line but Bracey seems to be getting rave reviews.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah he isnt a test player doubt they drop him though.

The problems started when we moved Bairstow around a few years back to shoe horn Buttler in as Johnny was probably averaging 35-40 at the time which is good for a number 7.

Foakes is next in line but Bracey seems to be getting rave reviews.

Bairstow still has (or at least had the last time he played) the exact same flaws in his technique as he did when he first started. Bairstow’s problems were less to do with being moved around the order and more to do with being thoroughly worked out and not changing.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Stokes on TMS afterwards saying "we'll learn from this" and "we need to be more ruthless."

We've heard identical interviews every lost test since we last beat the Aussies over here, but we don't learn and we aren't ruthless.

Obviously give Silverwood time, but if we start to see the same old decisions made again it'll be a worry.

Foakes and Root in, Buttler and Denly out. Broad in for Wood.

But then do you burn out Archer in three consecutive matches chasing the equaliser and (hopefully) series winner?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Don't think playing Archer in back to back tests will burn him out. Play him at Old Trafford then play Wood back in the Ageas Bowl for the 3rd test.

Online bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
Don't think playing Archer in back to back tests will burn him out. Play him at Old Trafford then play Wood back in the Ageas Bowl for the 3rd test.

That's what I mean - playing him in 3 would, so do we want to use him to try and get the series level or to try and win it in the third test?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
pick a side to win the test match. sounds simplistic but there's no point thinking about match 3 when by that point we could be 2-0 down.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Root has confirmed Denly won't be playing tomorrow!

So a top 4 of Burns, Sibley, Crawley and Root. I'm not going to lie I quite like the look of that.

I'm at the stage right now where I don't mind too much how many runs Burns and Sibley get as long as they last long enough to see the shine off the new ball and get past the first change bowler. If they score runs then great but the main thing is to set the innings up for Root, Stokes and Pope to score a few runs before Buttler gets himself out for his obligatory 10.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
root needs to get a haircut. that alice band looks ridiculous.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
root needs to get a haircut. that alice band looks ridiculous.

To be fair, they probably all didn't want barbers near them with risk of infection, then they came into this "bio bubble" so will have no chance.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
anderson gets 'rested' at his home ground where one of the ends is named after him.

I'm sure he took that news well.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
anderson gets 'rested' at his home ground where one of the ends is named after him.

I'm sure he took that news well.

He could yet play. Archer will miss this Test for breaking COVID-19 rules apparently. Whatever that means exactly but they’ve been very strict about staying within their bubbles haven’t they?

Statement here: https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/1727885/official-statement-jofra-archer
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 08:36:43 am by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
Yeah archer seems to have been a dope. No news on what he actually did yet though.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He could yet play. Archer will miss this Test for breaking COVID-19 rules apparently. Whatever that means exactly but they’ve been very strict about staying within their bubbles haven’t they?

Statement here: https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/1727885/official-statement-jofra-archer
Anderson's not in the squad, so it'll be two of Curran, Woakes and Robinson plus Broad. Pretty one-paced attack, that.

Archer dropped after breach of biosecurity protocols https://es.pn/3fKJnE0

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Anderson's not in the squad, so it'll be two of Curran, Woakes and Robinson plus Broad. Pretty one-paced attack, that.

Archer dropped after breach of biosecurity protocols https://es.pn/3fKJnE0

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Ah, didn’t realise Jimmy wasn’t even in the squad, I assumed he had just been told he wasn’t playing. Who is Robinson?

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
apparently whatever it is happened between games so he's probably been to a motorway services and got some food or something.

I'm surprised by the fact that the team doesn't seem to have travelled between grounds together.

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Ah, didn’t realise Jimmy wasn’t even in the squad, I assumed he had just been told he wasn’t playing. Who is Robinson?

Had to look him up myself. Ollie Robinson, plays for Sussex, first-class average of 21, averaging 18 over the last 2 years. Not that quick though I don't think.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
I sometimes get the feeling with Archer he’s just as likely to be a random quiz answer in ten years as he is a legendary fast bowler.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
He went home between the games.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Silly sausage.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
dumb as fuck

but again, if they're supposed to be in some kind of bio-bubble thing why the fuck didn't the ecb put on some kind of coach/train/plane/etc to transport them between the grounds?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Exactly. Both Archer and the ECB at fault here. Why they didn't travel as one group is beyond me.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
dumb as fuck

but again, if they're supposed to be in some kind of bio-bubble thing why the fuck didn't the ecb put on some kind of coach/train/plane/etc to transport them between the grounds?

That's my thoughts too, daft allowing the players to make there own travel arrangements, as you always get one player doing this, the ECB could have hired a plane to get the players from Southampton to Manchester.
#Sausages

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
"We've just had first sight of the pitch after the big cover was rolled away.

It was only a view from a distance but it looks like a road!

It looks the type of pitch you'd want two 90mph bowlers on."

From the BBC live text. Everyone knew this was going to be the case at Old Trafford. Just as well we played those two 90mph bowlers in Southampton and then didn't ensure they stayed within the bio-secure environment then. Absolute shambles.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
"We've just had first sight of the pitch after the big cover was rolled away.

It was only a view from a distance but it looks like a road!

It looks the type of pitch you'd want two 90mph bowlers on."

From the BBC live text. Everyone knew this was going to be the case at Old Trafford. Just as well we played those two 90mph bowlers in Southampton and then didn't ensure they stayed within the bio-secure environment then. Absolute shambles.

Who has the ultimate say in selection? Leaving aside Archer being unavailable it felt like they had it the wrong way round. And then presumably jimmy and Wood aren’t with the squad so can’t be recalled at late notice because they’re outside the bio-secure environment.

Time for our batsmen to bail out the bowlers for once!

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Ed Smith and Chris Silverwood for the squad selection and then the captain for the team selection I believe? It's a ridiculous situation

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Play to start at 1230 providing there isn't any further rain. It's Manchester anyway so it'll rain at some point.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
bumble saying it's been dismal weather for about 3 weeks so the pitch will have moisture in it, reagrdless of what the top looks like.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
"England have had their huddle, but no cap has been dished out to Ollie Robinson."

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Play to start at 1230 providing there isn't any further rain. It's Manchester anyway so it'll rain at some point.

Lunch scheduled for 1.30. :D

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
they've won the toss, we're having a bat, scurran plays.

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
Joe Root back with a smile on his face which is good, hopefully the covid break will be beneficial to him. His average over the last 2 years has been 37 and 41 and Joe Root is a way better player than that.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Woakes, Curran and Broad in for Wood, Archer and Anderson. Bess down to 10 and Broad at 11. Lengthens the batting line up if nothing else!

England win the toss and bat first.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Woakes, Curran and Broad in for Wood, Archer and Anderson. Bess down to 10 and Broad at 11. Lengthens the batting line up if nothing else!

England win the toss and bat first.

England lost the toss, call yourself a fan?
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
the standard 1 over for the spinner before lunch seems to have worked for them.

england's problem with spinners who don't actually spin it return again.