Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 111262 times)

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #1080 on: May 4, 2021, 01:33:05 pm »
So... who has had a go at New Pokemon Snap yet? It came on Friday but I've been too bogged down with work... at the same time I'd love to start and finish a game before Mass Effect is re-released soon.

I’m struggling to get excited about a game where you take photos of Pokemon rather than catching and battling them, but the reviews have been good!

Offline bailey90

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1081 on: May 4, 2021, 04:48:01 pm »
I’m struggling to get excited about a game where you take photos of Pokemon rather than catching and battling them, but the reviews have been good!

I absolutely loved the original when I was younger. It's better than you think  ;D
Twitter: @Bailey_90

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #1082 on: May 4, 2021, 05:05:53 pm »
I'd seen the new Snap was out and wanted to know what people thought, surprised no one in here's played it.

The original was great, as bailey said above. Definitely one of the better Pokemon spin offs (confirmed Pokemon nerd myself) and was great fun back in the day.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: May 4, 2021, 05:32:39 pm »
So you're on your way to completing Vah Naboris? Will that be your second divine beast? The champion's power you get from completing it is amazing for combat.

I would also recommend that you unlock all four fairies as that will let you upgrade your armor sets to the maximum (which you really should, at least the Champion's tunic and the soldier's armor). Upgraded armor makes a huge difference (especially as each level increases your defence almost exponentially.)

Also, whenever you see Beadle at any new stable you reach, buy up all his arrows.

Also: Follow A.xk_ on Youtube for the most insane BOTW combat videos (he's probably the best in the world at it). You'd think he's playing a different game entirely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWauA5H4uxY

Yes I worked through the Divine Beast puzzle yesterday so now facing lightning Ganon but going to come back to it - any advice on this one? He comes out of nowhere and fucks me up. I'm shit at blocking attacks with the shield- I seem to time it off each time!

I decided to go to an area I've not explored yet last night on the very left of the map - there were 3 towers I hadn't activated near each other but as soon as I started climbing one those guardian fuckers got their lazer beams all over me. Hate those things!
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #1084 on: May 5, 2021, 09:18:36 am »
If I remember correcty, you don't have to time a shield parry against lightning Ganon. Once he starts zipping around, hold out your shield and stand absolutely still. He will bounce off of it, which will give you an opening to slash at him. Do that a few times to take you through the first part of the fight.

In the second part of the fight (when he starts raining spikes), I found it crucial to be standing on the upper level of the room (on the bridge/plattform). If you're down on the ground, it can get really really tricky.

As for your explorations: Top left or bottom left of the map? Yeah, some of the towers are nigh impossible to activate. It gets a lot easier once you beat windblight Ganon and get Revali's gale.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #1085 on: May 5, 2021, 11:51:57 pm »
Has anyone used 8bit do with ps5 controller ? Good ?
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: May 15, 2021, 09:34:30 am »
Tony Hawks 1+2 is released on June 25th for Switch.
That's my summer gone.

I've spent an ungodly amount of hours playing these games in my misspent youth.
Can't wait to sink in those maps again, with that rocking soundtrack.

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #1087 on: May 15, 2021, 09:39:42 am »
Tony Hawks 1+2 is released on June 25th for Switch.
That's my summer gone.

I've spent an ungodly amount of hours playing these games in my misspent youth.
Can't wait to sink in those maps again, with that rocking soundtrack.

Pure coincidence that they announced Tony Hawk for the Switch around the same time I bought a console for my eldest’s upcoming birthday.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: May 15, 2021, 10:19:47 am »
Gaming is not that good for kids. Studies show that they get most benefits with least  negative side effects if they simply watch someone else play. #dadscience

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #1089 on: May 15, 2021, 11:35:28 am »
They’ll be watching AND getting an education in music

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: May 15, 2021, 11:37:04 am »

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: May 15, 2021, 02:12:55 pm »
It's annoying at the start but really it's not as annoying as all that because there are heaps of weapons/shields which respawn every blood moon. You can get to the next blood moon just by resting until you get there - every few days. I don't know if there are that many items that don't respawn with the blood moon.

It definitely ceases to be an issue.
Can I make a few general suggestions. I've beat it about 25 times (out of total 70), albeit only up to around 7 heat - so not exactly an expert, but I can hold my own.

1. Get nectar and give it to every god and every NPC once. This will get you their keepsakes, and in the case of many gods, allow you some level of control over which weapons you start with. Very important for most situations.

2. Unlock all of the mirror upgrades - grind as much as you need, but it shouldn't take too many runs to get all but the last set. Put your points into the extra starting health, death defiance, the extra dash and the one where you get health every time you get darkness crystals to begin with. Starting with 100 health, 3 death defiances (4 with the lucky tooth keepsake) and will make it a lot easier for you to get to the last boss, no trouble. Once you have all those, 3 cast stones also makes a very big difference and opens up some new options for builds. There's also one which can increase your damage by up to 40 per cent if enemies have two status effects - again - huge, but less of an issue for now.

3. Particularly at the start, get divine dash as often as you can. It will save you way more than you know.

4. Getting a high damaging call is always helpful. I'm sure others have their uses, but the best for me are Poseidon and Aphrodite, followed by Ares. The good thing about each of these is they more or less guarantee huge damage to a boss - somewhere over the 2,000-3,000 damage mark depending on how leveled up your boons are. Poseidon and Ares also make you invulnerable for a little bit, which has its uses as well. I can't overstate how important this is when you're getting a boss's health down but you're running out yourself. For context, 2,000 damage takes the hydra's health down to zero from the start of its final phase, or about 50% (!!) of Meg's health. The absolutely key thing here is to charge up your call bar all the way to the max, because anything less is fairly pointless.

5. Cast stones are useless at the start when you only have one, but once you have 3, some of them are very helpful for cleaning out a room. Specifically, Dionysus's cast is an excellent crowd control option. They also become very much viable as a focus for a build - won't get into it here though.

Builds

Having unlocked all the keepsakes (1), use one of the really easy builds.

My suggestion is:

Rail gun special build.

With the rail gun (aspect doesn't matter, but Eris is best), get cluster bomb, triple bomb or hazard bomb, and if you can, rocket bomb and just let loose with your special. I can't overstate how overpowered this weapon is. You can clear whole rooms incredibly quickly with minimal risk. I got to the last boss the first time on my 14th run without even really knowing what I was doing. If I knew I would have beat him too.

For boons, go with ones which increase the damage percentage of your special. Aphrodite is best, but Demeter is a good second option. Divine dash or Tidal Dash to protect yourself. Where you can choose to get pomegranates (for your Aphrodite special) or centaur hearts (to increase survivability).

Tidal dash build.

Once you're a little bit more confident, I reckon this is the simplest build to pull off. The heart of it is that tidal dash does a heap of damage and protects you very well. It also synthesises incredibly well with some other Poseidon boons and Zeus boons. With the Sea Storm duo boon, your tidal dashes will also hit enemies with lightning. The damage is huge - first time I used this I knocked about 10 minutes off my best time (finished in about 25 minutes)

Weapon: Anything that involves a lot of rapid attacking. Fist, rail gun and spear are best.
God:

* To begin with, Poseidon for tidal dash obviously. The other key ones are, in order of importance, Wave Pounding, Razor Shoals, Poseidon's Aid and Flood Shot (the latter isn't that important until you get 3 cast stones via the mirror)
* To synthesise with Poseidon, get from Zeus: Thunder strike, and static discharge. There are a few others which multiply the lightning effects which are nice to have but not must haves.

At this point, you should be able to get Sea Storm, a duo boon which makes enemies hit by your tidal dash also get hit by lightning.

Exploding Spear

This could be build 2 to be honest because it's so simple. But it's also very overpowered and you can beat the game almost with your eyes closed. But you do need the right pieces to it.

Like the Rail Gun bomb build, this has a minimal reliance on complex boon combinations or aspects. What it does rely on is a very specific combination of hammers, those being:

1. Charged skewer
2. Exploding launcher.

The combination of these two should be a solid base on which your special will do huge damage to anything in front of you. Get the Aphrodite special once again for the same reasons. Get divine dash to protect yourself. That's pretty much literally all you need.

I did it! After heaven knows how many runs, I managed to beat Hades, only to get transported back there and start all over again :P

I did try the Rail Gun but wasn't entirely comfortable using it, partly because it seems so anachronistic I guess.

But not being a comfortable with melee weapons, my favoured weapon initially was the Spear (having read up on, it seems like everyone else hates it for some reason) but you're right about getting the Exploding Spear, I tried to get that as soon as I could. I started to beat Elysium regularly with it but then kept getting killed by Hades so I started using the Shield instead - which to be honest, I should have done before, I mean it's the only weapon that block attacks which is wonderfully helpful when you're getting attacked by powerful enemies and bosses who can kill you in a few swipes.

Like you say, getting Athena's boons to deflect is basically a necessity, I got it as my Special for my Shield. I also worked out that Athena's Deflect boon is basically a necessity and I think I got luck as well as the first time I got to and was killed by Hades, I started to get Demeter's boons. The one I beat Hades with was her Cast which did a lot of the legwork in draining enemies, Athena's Deflect and Artemis' Aid and Hammer of Daedalus (which basically powered up my Bull Rush) and a lot of Pom Power (which I wasn't using before in favour of boons but I worked out getting a few boons and basically powering them up is much better).

Like Zlen said, basically there's still a lot left in the game but I just wanted to beat Hades once because I'm usually rubbish at finishing games and now that I have, it's the type of game I can pick up and put down regularly. There's still so much to do in terms of beating it with different weapons and power ups to get and I still need to use all the Titan Blood, Diamonds, Nectar and Ambrosia I've collected.

Also I have the Bioshock Collection which I really wanted to get started on soon. Looking forward to that, I played the first one ages ago and it was terrific but haven't played the other two.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1092 on: May 15, 2021, 03:36:36 pm »
Picked up Bioshock Collection on sale recently and it plays smooth as butter. Still strange for me who recalls these games being graphic card benchmarking material when they were released, to casually play them on a handheld.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: May 15, 2021, 04:42:50 pm »
Am looking forward to playing it again, loved the original the first time round I played. I think I might have killed a Little Sister or two as well  :-X so that's something I'm going to try and avoid this time.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #1094 on: May 17, 2021, 09:13:28 am »
Reminded me of this 😁
https://twitter.com/snunoperez/status/1392876363950923778?s=10

Haha, thanks for that! I went on a complete RATM nostalgia bender right after, watching reaction videos for about two hours on Saturday and another two hours on Sunday! It's crazy how their lyrics still ring true 30 years later.

(Which segued directly into Alisson reaction videos 😁)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: June 3, 2021, 01:08:56 pm »
Defeated Ganon in Zelda BOTW after around 60 hours into the game. I had freed all 4 Divine Beasts and got the Master Sword as well as being on about 14 hearts so didn't find it too tough and did it first time.

It's been an incredible ride but not sure I feel much motivation to do much else on it now. Think I still have around 25 shrines or something left and a load of side quests but feels a bit pointless now.

Also a bit disappointed that the game just restarts from your last save after you defeat Ganon as if it never happened.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1096 on: June 4, 2021, 12:07:03 am »
Defeated Ganon in Zelda BOTW after around 60 hours into the game. I had freed all 4 Divine Beasts and got the Master Sword as well as being on about 14 hearts so didn't find it too tough and did it first time.

It's been an incredible ride but not sure I feel much motivation to do much else on it now. Think I still have around 25 shrines or something left and a load of side quests but feels a bit pointless now.

Also a bit disappointed that the game just restarts from your last save after you defeat Ganon as if it never happened.

I'd say BOTW is a bit similar to Witcher 3 in that it has some really cool quests/shrines that stand up very well independently of the story. Stranted on Eventide for example. But each to their own :)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1097 on: June 4, 2021, 10:05:42 am »

It's my favourite game of all time but I've a few little gripes and this is probably the biggest one.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1098 on: June 4, 2021, 10:18:20 am »
Spoilers guys !
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #1099 on: June 4, 2021, 10:54:14 am »
Spoilers guys !

I for one didn't know Ganon would be defeated at the end of the Zelda game.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1100 on: June 4, 2021, 12:33:11 pm »
I for one didn't know Ganon would be defeated at the end of the Zelda game.

;D Especially not one released *checks notes* almost half a decade ago.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1101 on: June 4, 2021, 02:55:55 pm »
I'd say BOTW is a bit similar to Witcher 3 in that it has some really cool quests/shrines that stand up very well independently of the story. Stranted on Eventide for example. But each to their own :)

Yeah I bet there's lots more to explore but I've always been someone who wants I've completed the main objectives I get a bit bored with a game.

In hindsight I should have saved the Ganon battle and done more shrines etc.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #1102 on: June 7, 2021, 07:54:58 am »
I just checked: I played BOTW for about 180 hours total, but defeated Ganon after about 60 hours. So two thirds of my playing time happened post-Ganon.

In my experience, defeating Ganon was just something you needed to tick off/get out of the way – before you really start diving into the game.

There is just SO much you can do that is way more interesting (and more challenging) than taking down Ganon, e.g. fighting Lynels to collect their weapons, which are amongst the most powerful in the game. But to stand a fighting chance, you would ideally upgrade at least your main set of armour to level 4, which will require you to scavenge for the required items. That can be quite fun.

Also, you don't have to complete all Shrines, but if you do (and if you're into upgrading armour) than I imagine you'd be quite content with the reward you receive at the end.

I can also highly recommend the two DLCs - at least the Champion's Ballad, as that gives you an additional (and seriously cool) Divine Beast to complete. And, after completing certain objectives, cuts down the recharge time of your champions powers to 1/3 of the previous time. Which is great when fighting Lynels  ;D

It feels amazing when, by that point, you can just walk into the castle through the main door and battle your way all the way up to Ganon, no shortcuts, without being afraid of any or all of the plethora of opponents therein  :)

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1103 on: June 7, 2021, 08:02:52 am »
Ganon was my least favourite part. Even the castle, I just didn't enjoy it, I played the game with such freedom up till then but I just wanted that bit over by the time I got there after finishing off all the other bits.

I'll replay it at some point but I'll never get that kind of kick out of it that I did when I first left the plateau and the game opens up and it all just feels amazing and the thought of exploring it all. I suppose that's why I haven't gone back.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1104 on: June 7, 2021, 06:34:21 pm »
Stardew Valley is like crack. Don't even know why.

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #1105 on: June 7, 2021, 08:04:30 pm »
Stardew Valley is like crack. Don't even know why.

I’ve got it on my laptop and I’ve given it a go a few times but I couldn’t get into it, I actually found it a bit stressful because the days went so fast.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1106 on: June 7, 2021, 08:38:50 pm »
I’ve got it on my laptop and I’ve given it a go a few times but I couldn’t get into it, I actually found it a bit stressful because the days went so fast.

I do know what you mean but I keep saying right I'll put it down now then think I'll just do one more day. It's hard to build up cash quickly though. My only big gripe is I can't get used to the controls - they feel a bit clunky.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #1107 on: June 8, 2021, 10:01:30 am »
Anyone else excited about the Switch edition of the THPS 1+2 Remaster coming out at the end of the month? It just seems like the perfect game for a handheld gaming device.

The reviews have been strong and graphics wise it doesn't look like too much of a drop from the PS4/XB editions.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1108 on: June 8, 2021, 10:19:33 am »
Anyone else excited about the Switch edition of the THPS 1+2 Remaster coming out at the end of the month? It just seems like the perfect game for a handheld gaming device.

The reviews have been strong and graphics wise it doesn't look like too much of a drop from the PS4/XB editions.

Excited is an understatement.
I've spent an ungodly amount of time on THPS games as a youth.

Having this remaster on a handheld is a dream come true. Perfect pick up and play game, one you can spend an enjoyable half hour or sink a whole afternoon in. I'm in general preplexed as to why more publishers aren't remastering and releasing old games on Switch. It's a well established platform and some old games that aren't making any money at all - could be absolute smash hits on Switch simply as many folks would buy them again for a handheld. Good example would be EA's 'Skate' series - which I'm pretty certain could run no problem on Switch as it was a PS3 native series. That's three games collecting dust in EA's vault that would sell like hotcakes on Switch. I'm not sure how much work it is to prep an older game for Switch, probably it's not that simple - but the investment would definitely be worth it.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #1109 on: June 8, 2021, 02:23:49 pm »
Nice! I've never played any of the originals, but I recently got back into skateboarding (I'm 37, and the last time I stood on a board I was about 12 ;D ) and have since done a deep dive on skateboarding culture, watching a mix of tutorials and documentaries on the legends of old and the talent of today.

So I'm quite stoked that the remaster gives you the option to play with current skaters like Nyjah – next to the Mullens, Muskas and Hawks of old.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: June 10, 2021, 01:05:24 pm »
Is Fifa 21 worth the £20 it seems to be at Currys at the moment. I don't have any footie game right now.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1111 on: June 10, 2021, 01:12:27 pm »
Nope, stay well clear. It’s Fifa 20 in all but name.

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/fifa_21
AHA!

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #1112 on: June 12, 2021, 01:58:24 pm »
A new Mario+Rabbids has leaked, before it’s unveiling tonight.
AHA!

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: June 12, 2021, 02:48:02 pm »
Nope, stay well clear. It’s Fifa 20 in all but name.

https://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/nintendo-switch/fifa_21
I don't care if it's old, but is it a playable football game?

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: June 14, 2021, 12:33:24 pm »
Find the review of FIFA 19 for Switch and decide for yourself.
That series on Swithc is infamous for being an overpriced kit update.
So much so that some gaming magazines would just copy/paste their previous years review verbatim.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #1115 on: June 15, 2021, 06:49:21 pm »
Thanks for saving E3
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IH7QtiX1I7Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IH7QtiX1I7Y</a>

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: June 15, 2021, 08:13:55 pm »
Going to be all over Warioware and Super Monkey Ball.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #1117 on: June 17, 2021, 10:40:23 am »
So, «Breath of the Wild» sequel out in 2022 (for now...)

It looks gorgeous:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Pi-MRZBP91I" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Pi-MRZBP91I</a>

Any speculations on where the story is going - apart from up into the sky?  ;D

Back to two separate timelines possibly with two different "versions" of Link?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 10:42:06 am by emergency exit »

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: June 17, 2021, 11:14:04 am »
Major digital sale on eShop now.
Might pick up few games.
Even bloody Baldur's Gate Collection is on sale - and that was NEVER on sale in my two years with Switch.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1119 on: June 17, 2021, 07:05:05 pm »
So, «Breath of the Wild» sequel out in 2022 (for now...)

It looks gorgeous:

Any speculations on where the story is going - apart from up into the sky?  ;D

Back to two separate timelines possibly with two different "versions" of Link?

Read some speculation that the OG BOTW Link shown in the trailer (the one without the metal arm) is just a skin, and that it's really Zelda that the player is in control of. That would be pretty cool and a change from always trying to save her!