Author Topic: Routes For Cyclists.  (Read 13145 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Routes For Cyclists.
« on: December 7, 2015, 05:27:59 pm »
Over the next few weeks I'll do some routes for those of us who live in the Liverpool/North West area. As we all know I've done several before but they tend to be swallowed up as the thread grows. These will initially be more local rides...non over 90 miles for the winter rides.

As we get closer to the spring I'll then post some routes that are longer and more difficult. If anyone else has any routes they'd also like to share....

I also do requests... ;D Over the years we've ridden all over the top half of the country, England and Wales...if you want to go somewhere you've never been before let me know and I'll knock you up a route.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Routes For Cyclists.
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2015, 05:41:02 pm »
Over the next few weeks I'll do some routes for those of us who live in the Liverpool/North West area. As we all know I've done several before but they tend to be swallowed up as the thread grows. These will initially be more local rides...non over 90 miles for the winter rides.

As we get closer to the spring I'll then post some routes that are longer and more difficult. If anyone else has any routes they'd also like to share....

I also do requests... ;D Over the years we've ridden all over the top half of the country, England and Wales...if you want to go somewhere you've never been before let me know and I'll knock you up a route.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2015, 05:41:23 pm »
Great News! :wellin

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2015, 05:41:58 pm »
Today I went over to Horwich and back via Wigan on this route. There's one climb of note on the route from mile 21 at Red Rock Lane. There's also a sharp 40/45 mph descent just before mile 24 at Dark Lane. After Hindley and through Wigan it can be a tad busy, the roads get tight-so be aware of this.

There's lots of places for re-ups.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/936692317/

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2015, 05:42:04 pm »
What happened then? ;D

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2015, 05:42:48 pm »
Today I went over to Horwich and back via Wigan on this route. There's one climb of note on the route from mile 21 at Red Rock Lane. There's also a sharp 40/45 mph descent just before mile 24 at Dark Lane. After Hindley and through Wigan it can be a tad busy, the roads get tight-so be aware of this.

There's lots of places for re-ups.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/936692317/

Winter Hill?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2015, 05:44:29 pm »
Winter Hill?
Tomorrow. That route goes to the right of there to Bottom O'th Moor.

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2015, 05:47:44 pm »
Tomorrow. That route goes to the right of there to Bottom O'th Moor.

Is it on Eurosport? ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #8 on: December 7, 2015, 05:55:41 pm »
Is it on Eurosport? ;D
I hope not, after today's effort....fuckin shameful it was. ;D

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #9 on: December 7, 2015, 05:56:36 pm »
I hope not, after today's effort....fuckin shameful it was. ;D

You cracked like Nibali?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #10 on: December 7, 2015, 06:01:35 pm »
You cracked like Nibali?
No that bad la...I've gorra birra pride. ;D

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #11 on: December 7, 2015, 06:15:27 pm »
No that bad la...I've gorra birra pride. ;D

;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #12 on: December 7, 2015, 06:21:08 pm »
Tomorrow I'm heading over to Winter Hill and Edgeworth and back via Bolton ,Gathurst and Billinge.

Winter Hill starts just after you cross the reservoir...it's around 10% in places in the opening. It get's conkier when youy come out of the tree line and onto the hill itself..has a max of around 13% near the top. It's onto the carpark and then descent down to Rivington...it's a good descent with open lines..be aware though, a cyclist died on this descent last year.

After that there's a climb at the 26.7 point...this rears up like a mofo...19-20%...it's only short though.

After this point the roads pinches to a single track and as the road turns to the left there's a sharp descent with a tight right hander where the road rears up again....another climb with ramps of 20% on it.

After this it's onto Edgeworth and Affington. The descent of the Tottington road from Affington is a 40/45mph one...pay attention. Through Bolton..it's a typically busy city centre. After this point it's mostly quiet roads that most of you will have already ridden till you reach the end of the route at Kirkby.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/936726565

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #13 on: December 7, 2015, 07:40:12 pm »
I'll add to this thread when I get chance. Cheers Dave great idea!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2015, 08:35:25 pm »
If anyone needs a route to Manchester, let me know ;D

...that's the only one I can contribute :(

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #15 on: December 8, 2015, 06:10:20 pm »
How did it go today Dave?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #16 on: December 8, 2015, 06:27:27 pm »
How did it go today Dave?
Stealing from Cavalcanti...Went The Day Well....thanks mate.

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #17 on: December 8, 2015, 06:28:31 pm »
Stealing from Cavalcanti...Went The Day Well....thanks mate.

Did you see any VPL's?

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #18 on: December 8, 2015, 06:33:31 pm »
Did you see any VPL's?
You're a c*nt honestly....I'm pissing meself here reading your fuckin posts in the dating thread...emergency giro. :lmao

Fuckin gold that la. ;D

Offline Mad Max

• Boys Pen
« Reply #19 on: December 8, 2015, 06:36:21 pm »
You're a c*nt honestly....I'm pissing meself here reading your fuckin posts in the dating thread...emergency giro. :lmao

Fuckin gold that la. ;D

There's no point being dull and boring. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #20 on: January 9, 2016, 09:50:14 am »
This is the proposed route for our ride tomorrow. It's a nice,easy miles-a mainly flat route ride. At it's hardest...it undulates...on the out route-there's some climbs to negotiate thru Delamere on the in route, nothing too hard though. It takes in the A 56 from Frodsham thru Helsby* to Tarvin where it goes onto the local bike lanes to Waverton. From here to Bangor is y Coed it's all quiet country lanes. The route back is on quiet lanes till the B road from Holt and Farndon to the turn at the bridge over the Dee just before mile 58...this can be a busy B road as it's the main road into Chester in that area. After this point it's once again country lanes till you reach Frodsham.

There's a shop at Waverton and another at Four Lanes, and more at Farndon and Kelsall...and obviously in the more suburban areas.

*The A 56 is relatively quiet for an A road.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/958529043/
« Last Edit: January 9, 2016, 11:04:57 am by dave 5516 »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 9, 2016, 09:20:30 pm »
The A56 even has painted bike lanes on some of that stretch.

Its the A5117 over to Shotwick that I don't like. Apart from the bit with the great bike path. ;D
« Last Edit: January 9, 2016, 09:26:07 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #22 on: January 9, 2016, 09:39:40 pm »
Cyclists should swerve the 5117. Busy and dangerous.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 9, 2016, 09:53:15 pm »
Cyclists should swerve the 5117. Busy and dangerous.
Is not been busy when I've been there... it has quite a bit of bike path now. And I don't mean the useless one painted on the road..

Its hard to get around. Once took the 'bike path' (part of route 5 I think) through the marshes....its a gravel track, and possibly only open on weekends.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #24 on: January 9, 2016, 09:59:53 pm »
Is not been busy when I've been there... it has quite a bit of bike path now. And I don't mean the useless one painted on the road..

Its hard to get around. Once took the 'bike path' (part of route 5 I think) through the marshes....its a gravel track, and possibly only open on weekends.
I've been on there midweek...ain't fun, and it's been busy on Saturdays too.. That off road section is nonsense. ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 9, 2016, 10:17:08 pm »
I've been on there midweek...ain't fun, and it's been busy on Saturdays too.. That off road section is nonsense. ;D

It's fun in its own way ;D Shouldn't be part of a bike route though.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 9, 2016, 11:09:36 pm »
This is the proposed route for our ride tomorrow. It's a nice,easy miles-a mainly flat route ride. At it's hardest...it undulates...on the out route-there's some climbs to negotiate thru Delamere on the in route, nothing too hard though. It takes in the A 56 from Frodsham thru Helsby* to Tarvin where it goes onto the local bike lanes to Waverton. From here to Bangor is y Coed it's all quiet country lanes. The route back is on quiet lanes till the B road from Holt and Farndon to the turn at the bridge over the Dee just before mile 58...this can be a busy B road as it's the main road into Chester in that area. After this point it's once again country lanes till you reach Frodsham.

There's a shop at Waverton and another at Four Lanes, and more at Farndon and Kelsall...and obviously in the more suburban areas.

*The A 56 is relatively quiet for an A road.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/958529043/
Just had another look....what's the gradient on Yeld Lane? Been there last summer, felt steep at the time. ;D

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #27 on: January 9, 2016, 11:17:10 pm »
Depends which side you take it from! It's a nice little road

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 9, 2016, 11:25:07 pm »
Depends which side you take it from! It's a nice little road
The steep side, I think, from some fruit farm? (was a while ago....). Its 3% on Dave's MMR....don't think that is true, or I'm even more shit than I think.... :sad

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2016, 06:01:10 pm »
The steep side, I think, from some fruit farm? (was a while ago....). Its 3% on Dave's MMR....don't think that is true, or I'm even more shit than I think.... :sad
From the north it's around 12-15% up past Willingtons Farm, iirc.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 11:24:56 am »
Half a day,half a ride.

A little trip into the foothills around the Clwydian's tomorrow...John has to make an appearance in work for a 4 pm meeting....stupid work.

Anyways....this is a nice easy route that will test your climbing legs in parts...the climb up to Holywell,(J knows this road, didn't love it. ;D)Just before Tremeirchion and then the Bwlch out of Ruthin...plenty of other undulations on the route as well...it's Wales after all.

We'll also see how our handling skills are...some...interesting descents on tight little lanes.

Plenty of re-up spots on the route-actually,you'll have to head into Ruthin...you won't,shouldn't need to re-up before there.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/971837087/

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 12:01:09 pm »
Nice one, had something like that planned for a while...never made it out ::)
Without the tunnel like.

On the way back, is the route via Northop the best option? Was thinking of trying some of the little lanes in between that are on the map, but haven't been there to know if you can actually go there...

And, just for the record, I don't mind the climb into Holywell, its just a bit boring. Coming back down is much nicer ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 02:38:30 pm »
Nice one, had something like that planned for a while...never made it out ::)
Without the tunnel like.

On the way back, is the route via Northop the best option? Was thinking of trying some of the little lanes in between that are on the map, but haven't been there to know if you can actually go there...

And, just for the record, I don't mind the climb into Holywell, its just a bit boring. Coming back down is much nicer ;D
You will get lost if you attempt to get back to Shotton via the lanes.

The route we use is different to the one I've posted as it goes through a housing estate and park to the bike path on the Dee....it's not an easy route to follow if you've never been on it before.

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 02:46:44 pm »

The route we use is different to the one I've posted as it goes through a housing estate and park to the bike path on the Dee....it's not an easy route to follow if you've never been on it before.

Think you had that one in one of your old routes. Remember looking at it thinking the fuck will I try to find my way around there.... ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 02:50:43 pm »
Think you had that one in one of your old routes. Remember looking at it thinking the fuck will I try to find my way around there.... ;D
Use the one posted and the roads are good. and pretty much straightorward, from Northop to Shotton is a nice B road.

You could go straight on at Northop instead of turning right...this will take you down Flint Mountain to Flint and the coast road you'd have been on at the beginning of the ride....it can be a tad busy in the week though.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 03:43:35 pm »

Reminds me of the time me and my mate decided to take a detour on the ride home from nights.

Went across the border into Masstricht,went through a housing estate and all the houses and streets looked the same,now as it was about 6:30 am there was no one around so we spent 20 mins going up and down cul de sac's and it started to piss down...

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 04:21:10 pm »
Flint or Shotton aren't the best places to get lost in.  You could end up on someone's dinner plate.   :P
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2016, 03:54:01 pm »
Could be frosty tomorrow...With that in mind....this is a route based around roads that should be clear of that and any ice that's about.

Bit of climbing included on the 69 mile route-this will be a nice little dabble.

You're never far from a re-up spot and there's nae climbs of any difficulty on the route. A nice easy day.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/985698481

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2016, 04:19:57 pm »
Could be frosty tomorrow...With that in mind....this is a route based around roads that should be clear of that and any ice that's about.

Bit of climbing included on the 69 mile route-this will be a nice little dabble.

You're never far from a re-up spot and there's nae climbs of any difficulty on the route. A nice easy day.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/985698481
Dunno about nice.... this is definitively a Sunday route, or very early morning, especially the start... otherwise there'll be loads of traffic. My work commute is nicer!

Got lost in Wigan twice, was really dragging, gave up and went home after about half of it (after that little loop around Horwich). Maybe the second half of the route is nicer?

There wasn't much ice though, so I guess it served its purpose.... only ice in one spot - on the top of the hill. Seemed to get icy regularly, there was even a proper sign warning of it. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 04:26:25 pm »
Dunno about nice.... this is definitively a Sunday route, or very early morning, especially the start... otherwise there'll be loads of traffic. My work commute is nicer!

Got lost in Wigan twice, was really dragging, gave up and went home after about half of it (after that little loop around Horwich). Maybe the second half of the route is nicer?

There wasn't much ice though, so I guess it served its purpose.... only ice in one spot - on the top of the hill. Seemed to get icy regularly, there was even a proper sign warning of it. ;D
Thanks, Dave. You're welcome....too fuckin hard like? ;D  :P

I was on this route earlier...once again, it's all about familiarity-I use this regularly and I'm not bothered by the traffic.