Author Topic: MotoGP Thread  (Read 14905 times)

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
Re: MotoGP Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 15, 2020, 01:49:13 pm »
Agree. Suzuki have looked good in both of the Austrian races. More to come from them. Marquez absence has made for an open an exciting season.

Wow. Suzuki looked good earlier in the season, didn't think they were on course a world champ in Joan Mir and their first constructor title since forever. What a season this has been. Ten different winners, lots of them first timers. Well done Suzuki 20 years since Kenny Roberts Jr gave them a title.
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: November 15, 2020, 09:53:28 pm »
Wow. Suzuki looked good earlier in the season, didn't think they were on course a world champ in Joan Mir and their first constructor title since forever. What a season this has been. Ten different winners, lots of them first timers. Well done Suzuki 20 years since Kenny Roberts Jr gave them a title.
Yeah, they've been steadily improving their bike whilst the hon/yam/duc have been getting worse with every iteration. Not the fastest over one lap but way better than the rest over race distance which is where it counts most.
Helps having good hungry riders too, well done Joan Mir.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2020, 09:10:36 am »
I haven't really been up to date the last couple of years - but with Cal dropping out, who's the next British hope?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2021, 08:29:20 am »
Qatar GP this weekend, that's me skiving work today :D

Marquez missing for the first two races as he continues recovery from the broken arm sustained last July.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Brissyred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: March 26, 2021, 10:59:04 pm »
Qatar GP this weekend, that's me skiving work today :D

Marquez missing for the first two races as he continues recovery from the broken arm sustained last July.

Wouldn't write him off from winning the championship tho'.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2021, 07:38:18 pm »
Wouldn't write him off from winning the championship tho'.

Even giving them a 2 race head start, if he's fit, then he's got to be the favourite. Looking forwards to seeing Miller on the factory Ducati, he could really push MM this season.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: March 28, 2021, 05:14:59 pm »
Really emotional for the Gresini team getting a podium in Moto2, what with Fausto Gressini passing away from Covid.

That wind is scary, 225mph on a MotoGP bike won't be fun.

Offline Brissyred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: April 5, 2021, 11:47:06 pm »
Three great races this weekend, Moto2 has improved greatly since moving to the Triumph motor.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #128 on: April 6, 2021, 08:47:14 am »
Agree.

All the bikes winning points, positions 1 - 15, were within 9 seconds of each other. Which makes you wonder if Marc Marquez will assume his dominance when he returns.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: April 6, 2021, 09:32:55 am »
I do wonder how this injury has affected Marquez mentally, he has constantly stepped over the edge and got away with it, will he be thinking that Doohan and Foggy ended their careers with crashes and he will back off a bit or is he still young and mad enough to not care?

Every other rider is letting go of the bike here and ready to go get the spare from the pits

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #130 on: April 6, 2021, 10:06:11 am »
A Dudekesque save from Marquez.

Offline gravy red

• Kopite
« Reply #131 on: May 2, 2021, 02:25:10 pm »
Get in there Jack Miller Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy.
Winning the Race today  👏👏👏👏 well deserved. 👍

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #132 on: May 2, 2021, 02:28:04 pm »
Great win, really interested to see exactly what happened to FQ though.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #133 on: May 2, 2021, 02:51:59 pm »
Great win, really interested to see exactly what happened to FQ though.

Looked like a severe arm pump to me. Right arm problems at Jerez are the worst because of the high-speed nature of right-hand corners there. In fact, I do believe the track layouts at Algarve and Jerez are the explanations why Marc isn't already fighting for podiums. I look forward to see what he can do when they get to Le Mans where there only are slow corners around (except the flat turn 1). I hope to see him fight back partially because he's my favourite rider and partially because MotoGP is boring without him in the thick of it having those crazy last-lap battles.

Miller and Bagnaia did a great job, definitely proving that Ducati made the right choice in binning off Dovizioso and Petrucci to start over again. For someone growing up during the Stoner era it feels so weird to see Ducati have a 1-2 at Jerez, that used to be the nightmare track for my man when he was on the red beast because it wouldn't turn. Then once he got a dry race on the Honda he won easily  ;D
Linudden.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 2, 2021, 04:11:04 pm »
Yeah he's confirmed he had terrible arm pump.

Offline Brissyred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: May 2, 2021, 11:23:24 pm »
For someone growing up during the Stoner era it feels so weird to see Ducati have a 1-2 at Jerez, that used to be the nightmare track for my man when he was on the red beast because it wouldn't turn. Then once he got a dry race on the Honda he won easily  ;D
That makes me feel really old, I grew up during the Sheene era :)

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 6, 2021, 06:11:35 pm »
That makes me feel really old, I grew up during the Sheene era :)

Same here.

Yeah he's confirmed he had terrible arm pump.

He's had surgery for it this week

Offline Brissyred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: May 6, 2021, 11:17:45 pm »
Same here.

He's had surgery for it this week

Miller had the same op before the Portuguese GP.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2021, 04:30:04 pm »
Great race today at Le Mans - dry, wet, dry - could have been one of about 5 winners. Well worth catching the highlights.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2021, 01:03:40 pm »
Really sad news, 19 yr old Moto 3 rider Jason Dupasquier has died from injuries sustained yesterday in qualifying.

RIP

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: August 7, 2021, 11:18:43 am »
Countdown to the end of an Era

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: August 12, 2021, 02:47:14 pm »
Maverick Vinales has been suspended by Yamaha due to unexplained irregular operation of the motorcycle, picked up on the data loggers.

Rumours he was downshifting at high RPM to try and blow the engine up.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2021, 08:20:14 am »
Maverick Vinales has been suspended by Yamaha due to unexplained irregular operation of the motorcycle, picked up on the data loggers.

Rumours he was downshifting at high RPM to try and blow the engine up.

Why? Why would you do that?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2021, 08:57:53 am »
Why? Why would you do that?

Absolutely no idea, he's obviously got serious issues.

Reading last night he had it pinned in 5th on the main straight, bouncing it off the rev limiter all the way along, its a just under 200mph straight!!! Thats the same straight he jumped off the bike at over 180mph last season when his brakes failed.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2021, 12:45:26 pm »
Only just seen the Marquez crash from Friday at Silverstone, 172mph and loses the front. So lucky the worst he suffered was sand and grit in his eyes from the barrel roll

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TsALpa0aooo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TsALpa0aooo</a>

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2021, 01:43:52 pm »
Six different manufacturers in the top 6 places at Silverstone. It's Quartararo's title to lose really.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 29, 2021, 02:30:38 pm »
Six different manufacturers in the top 6 places at Silverstone. It's Quartararo's title to lose really.

Barring an injury that keeps him out, just cannot see how he won't do it this season. He comes across as a great lad too, be pleased to see him win it.

Marquez can get to fuck now. Didn't like the little shit for the bollocks he pulled when Rossi and Lorenzo were battling for the title, but that move he pulled on Martin today was a disgrace.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #147 on: August 29, 2021, 04:47:20 pm »
It did appear as a rash move straight after the previous with Martin. Has their been anything from the stewards?

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #148 on: September 28, 2021, 08:59:27 am »
https://www.motorsport.com/wsbk/news/baz-supersport-300-dangerous-class/6676982/

After Viñales' 15-year old cousin Berta died and another fatality in a similar Spanish class at Aragón this summer it was about time that some professional riders are calling out the artificial levelling of performance in motorcycle racing. Those running the show only care about entertainment and not about rider safety whatsoever. It's only a matter of time before another Simoncelli situation happens also in MotoGP or Superbikes since they keep tinkering and making the bikes super easy to go fast with. When you have half the field within 0.5 s/lap it's a recipy for disaster. It just has to stop at some point.
Linudden.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2021, 09:08:28 am »
https://www.motorsport.com/wsbk/news/baz-supersport-300-dangerous-class/6676982/

After Viñales' 15-year old cousin Berta died and another fatality in a similar Spanish class at Aragón this summer it was about time that some professional riders are calling out the artificial levelling of performance in motorcycle racing. Those running the show only care about entertainment and not about rider safety whatsoever. It's only a matter of time before another Simoncelli situation happens also in MotoGP or Superbikes since they keep tinkering and making the bikes super easy to go fast with. When you have half the field within 0.5 s/lap it's a recipy for disaster. It just has to stop at some point.

Bike racing has always been dangerous and the riders accept this, but I'm thinking its time they stopped the kids racing, there's been a few deaths this year with teenagers. Vinales and Rossi were lucky not to be killed last season, but they changed the track and as far as I know, most are pretty safe, Simoncelli was a freak accident, he got struck in the head while in the middle of the track.

The adults won't give it up, they love the sport, they don't want a boring sanitised life and they accept the risks, same with the TT.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2021, 01:54:29 pm »
The Marc is firmly back, not sure what Rob feels about it but I'm excited for the 2022 season now :D

Congratulations to Quartararo but he should really enjoy the present moment when seeing Marc winning again at a right-hand circuit in the dry. I'm sorry for Bagnaia but that was quite clearly an error based on inexperience. He'll learn from it. Marc had settled for second because his tyres were finished but his mere presence made Pecco fall.

Quartararo is the first French rider to win the premier-class title I think. No-one would've seen it coming just a few years ago, but he's really worked hard to put himself in a position where Yamaha have built their whole programme around him.

Still, 59 career wins for Marc at 28 years old, having been knocked out for 1.5 seasons, in an era where the bikes are all within half a second from each other. That's unbelieveable.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 02:05:12 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2021, 01:43:35 pm »
The Marc is firmly back, not sure what Rob feels about it but I'm excited for the 2022 season now :D

Congratulations to Quartararo but he should really enjoy the present moment when seeing Marc winning again at a right-hand circuit in the dry. I'm sorry for Bagnaia but that was quite clearly an error based on inexperience. He'll learn from it. Marc had settled for second because his tyres were finished but his mere presence made Pecco fall.

Quartararo is the first French rider to win the premier-class title I think. No-one would've seen it coming just a few years ago, but he's really worked hard to put himself in a position where Yamaha have built their whole programme around him.

Still, 59 career wins for Marc at 28 years old, having been knocked out for 1.5 seasons, in an era where the bikes are all within half a second from each other. That's unbelieveable.

Only caught up with the race this morning as we were in Cyprus and I never heard a peep. Brilliant to see Fabio win the title, just a shame Pecco binned it to hand it to him.

I'm looking forwards to 2022 too, I can't wait to see a fully fit Marquez get battered by Pecco ;D I really do see Pecco as the main man for next season to challenge a fit Marquez, although Fabio will be in the mix.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2021, 02:01:12 pm »
Marc's trajectory is downwards now, despite his fitness. Fabio, Pecco, etc have moved the game on. Marc is yesterdays man. he may win a few, but my money is on Pecco for next yr with Fabio running him close.
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2021, 02:04:16 pm »
Bagnaia is growing into an incredible rider, but dammit he's frustratingly inconsistent and prone to some shocking tyre choices. Next season Vale will have a lot more time to advice him and hopefully that should iron out the inconcistencies. To be honest, he's a more complete rider than what Quartararo is - but he needs to be a lot more consistent and stop beating himself in order to win a title versus a Márquez now that he's really back.

My issue with Quartararo isn't related to his speed - that's abundant, but the fact that the world champion regularly falls into the teens once the skies open up is pretty disappointing. I really doubt he'd be consistently fast on any other bike than the Yamaha - much like Lorenzo. With Márquez back and a more normal weather pattern throughout a season, he'll struggle. This year he was very lucky in that the only full wet race was at track with high-grip surface also where being dozens of seconds adrift still meant a podium. Then the only other time it showed up late enough to be a lottery where Bagnaia couldn't fully expose him. He may improve a bit in the future, but usually those who are particularly good in the wet (Stoner, Miller, Petrucci and Márquez) are shining early in their careers and it's more common that riders regress (Lorenzo and Pedrosa) rather than progress in that department.

For me, I really doubt anyone can touch an almost fit Marc over a full season. Misano has always been one of his worst tracks and somehow he rode a lot faster than in 2019 while suffering with the shoulder. He also suggested that he didn't even have to push or specificially set up to ride the 2022 concept Honda at the same times as in the September Misano race. They've been missing his feedback a lot so I assume they'll gain 0.5 s/lap from the bike performance alone over the winter. If he stays fit, I suppose he'll do just what we've gotten used to so long as at least the races remain as thrilling as they were 2017-19. As a Marc fan I bloody hope so ;D A last-lap battle without the scarlet and orange bike diving in everywhere is not the same.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 02:16:25 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2021, 02:48:29 pm »
Marc's trajectory is downwards now, despite his fitness. Fabio, Pecco, etc have moved the game on. Marc is yesterdays man. he may win a few, but my money is on Pecco for next yr with Fabio running him close.

Marc has gone the way I expected, he got away with so many crashes and one day it was going to bite him on the arse and it did. I can't see him pushing as hard as he has done in the past.

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2021, 02:57:49 pm »
That new Honda will need a season before it performs, whereas the Ducati is the bike to be on. Fabio and Frankie on the yam will be tough to beat too. Then you have Jack and Johan. Nope Marquez isnt winning the title next year.

As Rob says, Marc knows one more 'off' and thats it for him. He cannot afford to damage that shoulder again.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:00:11 pm by boots »
Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2021, 05:54:29 pm »
That new Honda will need a season before it performs, whereas the Ducati is the bike to be on. Fabio and Frankie on the yam will be tough to beat too. Then you have Jack and Johan. Nope Marquez isnt winning the title next year.

As Rob says, Marc knows one more 'off' and thats it for him. He cannot afford to damage that shoulder again.

Franco has tore his ACL and is still not racing full distances at competitive speeds. I really doubt his credentials even when coming back though because Fabio is simply faster than him. I'm expecting that he could finish in the top three in the championship again if Yamaha build an all-conquering bike, the problem then is that Fabio will comfortably beat him now that he's got the experience to not fall apart like in 2020.

As for the other Ducati guys, they're about to get passed by Marc in the championship this year, let alone the next ;D I'm a lot more interested in seeing what Jorge Martín can do with a bit more experience under his belt. I think with him and Bagnaia, Ducati will have the best factory rider lineup in 2023. They'd be crazy to retain crash king Miller over Martín to be honest. Honda would probably welcome Miller with open arms though. Then, can Bastianini maintain his recent form and provide the Ducati management further headaches?

Still, I only see three potential champions around and it'd be great to see the lot of them have a triple battle at either Algarve or Valencia as a prelude to the next season.

Mir then? Well, winning the title for Suzuki was a freak season and I don't think he'll do it again for them. Maybe if he goes to a different team. He can ride, but I don't see Suzuki delivering a bike capable of winning a regular season. The way that bike can't heat up the tyres is disastrous, seemingly perennial and puts them in a hole all the time. It's only a matter of time until he wins another race though but I really feel like he should do everything in his power to convince Ducati to sign him for their factory team. On the Ducati, I feel that he could outride Bagnaia if he gets it right. Rins then? To me he seems to have lost the plot with all his crashes although the peak level is high. I think a satellite rider future is likely for him. I doubt Suzuki will retain him unless he shows that he can keep up with Mir early next season. Pol Espargaró, Miller and Zarco may well be on the market early and that won't help his case.

KTM are the biggest question mark. Oliveira fell off a cliff this year after the Austrian practice crash, can he or Binder really get back to dry weather race-winning form again? Is Raúl Fernández the real deal? Probably a bigger chance than Remi Gardner being so, but it's unpredictable. I lean towards the Moto2 field being a bit weaker than in recent times, flattering both. We'll see I suppose.

What wouldn't surprise me at all in 2022 is Viñales to have his once-a-year ride-on-rails weekend to pick up Aprilia's first win. In fact, all six manufacturers winning at least one race seems quite likely to me now that Aprilia finally have a proven winner in their ranks. That being said, Viñales will never get close to winning a title due to his incredible inconsistency.

Dovizioso is a major question mark for me. I don't get why he's so slow on a Yamaha like he's been. I'm not sure his heart is in it anymore. We'll see what he does next year. He obviously can win races if he gets it right, but I suspect the Ducati of 2020 was really let down by the guys in the saddle of the factory team. That's a title he just couldn't afford to lose and he wasn't even close.

Finally, I doubt Rossi's team will be any further up the grid than the legend himself has been this season. I don't know if they have an Athletic Bilbao policy on riders in that he only wants Italians racing for them, but if so, he's going to miss out on a lot of talent. Marini has been flattened by Bastianini this year and I've never been impressed by Bezecchi's general speed either. If he wants to build the team around his brother it will be a bit of a half-hearted effort and I doubt it'll go too far in the near future. Still, great that he wants to hang around in the paddock :wave

The level is very high now, even the bottom half of the grid. Still, it mystifies me why no-one wants to go and win Superbike titles but rather hang around in MotoGP with little chance of winning. I guess the money must be very good. In a normal era, I'm sure Rins and the Espargaró brothers would've thought about it. People will remember Rea but not them in ten years after all, barring a miraculous turnaround of their MotoGP fortunes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 06:29:02 pm by Linudden »
Linudden.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: November 14, 2021, 09:27:11 am »
Grazie Vale

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #158 on: November 14, 2021, 02:44:48 pm »
Was a bit touching to see. I'm no Vale fan, since I've supported Stoner and Márquez, but the longevity of 26 consecutive seasons, hardly missing a race, is incredible. Eventually his body gave out and he couldn't compete anymore, but he still delivered a top 10 in his final race. Was a bit sad with hindsight though that he didn't retire at the end of 2019 to avoid the really bad slide down the field he endured.

Massively impressive by Ducati to get a 1-2-3 at Valencia of all places. Their bike is really good in slow corners now, it's only in the high-speed turns that Quartararo managed to just cling on to the title. Bagnaia looks like a new rider ever since he won that first race. I don't think he'd beaten Marc on this very track if his eyes were intact today, but nevertheless four wins in the final six races is a great look. Martín rode sublimely today, I didn't think a second at Valencia was in his locker, but he really showed awesome talent on this occasion.

Hopefully Marc is back in shape well ahead of the pre-season testing, at least he gets to rest his shoulder now, so we can have a proper three-way fight for the title next season.
Linudden.

Offline Linudden

• Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #159 on: March 5, 2022, 12:30:53 pm »
The post-Rossi as a rider era begins this weekend in a country that well... the lesser said the better.

Either way, judging by the FP2 results it appears that Suzuki have come out blazing this year and might have overtaken Yamaha. Also, Márquez was P2 without any shoulder pain while complaining he felt slow! Jorge Martín was the fastest Ducati but I refuse to count Bagnaia out since he can just show up for qualifying like that.

Quartararo on the other hand appears bothered. Yamaha seem to have gotten stuck in the development, he's yet to sign a contract and he was in the lower end of the top ten on a track he's always exceled at. I'd not be surprised if he'll open talks with Suzuki at this rate to make a dream team with Mir. Especially now that he missed out on a direct spot into Q2 on a track like this since some riders improved in the daylight today.

Judging by what Marc says about his fitness and what Honda riders in general talk about the bike's potential I have this feeling that title #7 could be his if he stays fit and maybe in a lot more convincing fashion than the enduring campaigns he persevered through in 2016 and 2017 back when the Honda was abysmal.
« Last Edit: March 5, 2022, 12:33:58 pm by Lewis Hamilton’s #1 fan »
Linudden.