Author Topic: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread (Not A Home Nation)  (Read 242605 times)

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2012, 12:42:20 pm »
The new shirt with a release date of the 5th of October. Safe to safe we've already peaked with Umbro, this does nothing for me.

Jesus Christ, it looks like a knockoff rugby shirt type thing you'd buy in Carrolls Irish Tat emporium

Offline Demandred

• Do not forsake me oh my darlin
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'll be waiting, with a gun & a pack of sandwiches
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2012, 01:24:08 pm »
Jesus Christ, it looks like a knockoff rugby shirt type thing you'd buy in Carrolls Irish Tat emporium

Is it just me? I quite like it!
I definitely prefer it to the stripes last time

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:25 pm »
the three logo is awful, and the FAI logo isn't a whole heap better. That said it was easier to swallow some of the crimes against fashion committed by us under jack charlton, because the national team didn't really fill us with so much dread back then.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2012, 02:08:06 pm »
the three logo is awful, and the FAI logo isn't a whole heap better. That said it was easier to swallow some of the crimes against fashion committed by us under jack charlton, because the national team didn't really fill us with so much dread back then.
Not sure what you're saying here, but are you having a pop at the 80/90's kits? Because if you are!!!

Also I'll repost this in case it was missed.
Captain of the u21's Aidy White scored a terrific solo goal last night.

The twenty year old has been deployed mostly at left back, but played last night on the wing. We've a gluten of riches in that position at the moment, yet we play a striker ???

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/oqMs32a-liE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/oqMs32a-liE</a>

On the other end of the spectrum, Coleman who started for the second time in a row, had a shocker.

Offline RedHopper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2012, 02:27:08 pm »
Not sure what you're saying here, but are you having a pop at the 80/90's kits? Because if you are!!!

The Shorts man, the teeny tiny shorts. And the tight fitting polyester revealing too much of the unathletic physiques of so many of our players. ugh.

Offline Demandred

• Do not forsake me oh my darlin
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'll be waiting, with a gun & a pack of sandwiches
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2012, 03:28:09 pm »
the three logo is awful, and the FAI logo isn't a whole heap better

Completely agree about the '3' but we're stuck with that.
I like th enew FAI logo - I got it on one of the polos before the Euros, dead smart

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #206 on: October 10, 2012, 02:38:20 pm »
                    Westwood

Kelly  O'Shea  O'Dea  Ward
                       Fahey
   Cox  McCarthy Andrews McGeady

Keane

The team doing the rounds at the moment. Besides Cox and Keane its not too bad, would have Coleman instead of of Kelly, but we know what Trap thinks of him. Better hope Ward has the game of his life he'll be up against Marco Reus  :-X

Its madness that a starting premier league player cant get into the squad and is favoured by a guy plying his trade with the Toronto White Caps.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2012, 02:38:31 pm »
there were several classics back then
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: October 10, 2012, 02:39:20 pm »
                    Westwood

Kelly  O'Shea  O'Dea  Ward
                       Fahey
   Cox  McCarthy Andrews McGeady

Keane

The team doing the rounds at the moment. Besides Cox and Keane its not too bad, would have Coleman instead of of Kelly, but we know what Trap thinks of him. Better hope Ward has the game of his life he'll be up against Marco Reus  :-X

Its madness that a starting premier league player cant get into the squad and is favoured by a guy plying his trade with the Toronto White Caps.
could be a heavy one

id have shane long in there, hes really bulked up in recent times and works his socks off

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #209 on: October 10, 2012, 02:42:42 pm »
Id have shane long in there, hes really bulked up in recent times and works his socks off
Absolutely, not only that he's scoring goals and added a great assist at the weekend, but I suppose Trap has still ideas of the "Totti role" for Keane. You have to wonder has he been watching him play over the last year and a bit.

Offline Reheat Red

• Kopite
« Reply #210 on: October 10, 2012, 02:42:43 pm »
Westwood really needs regular football somewhere.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: October 10, 2012, 02:50:13 pm »
Absolutely, not only that he's scoring goals and added a great assist at the weekend, but I suppose Trap has still ideas of the "Totti role" for Keane. You have to wonder has he been watching him play over the last year and a bit.
He needs a totti player with Keane, as you say he cant play that role

I saw that Long assist, great is right

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #212 on: October 10, 2012, 03:25:27 pm »
He needs a totti player with Keane, as you say he cant play that role
Do you remember Trap kept repeating that towards the start of the Euro's? Space man stuff.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: October 10, 2012, 03:29:08 pm »
Do you remember Trap kept repeating that towards the start of the Euro's? Space man stuff.
I dont actually which is probably a blessing

if we get hammered I think hell have to call it a day, get someone in with some fresh ideas for the younger squad

I have often said Chris Hughton would be a good choice but Norwich are getting whipped every week

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #214 on: October 10, 2012, 03:56:13 pm »
Iv said it before I would have Mick back in a heartbeat, arguable are greatest ever manager. The timing is perfect, Mick actually cares about Irish football and maybe is getting a bit tired of being chewed up and spat out of clubs with very little thanks.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: October 10, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »
Iv said it before I would have Mick back in a heartbeat, arguable are greatest ever manager. The timing is perfect, Mick actually cares about Irish football and maybe is getting a bit tired of being chewed up and spat out of clubs with very little thanks.
tries to play some good stuff too

he might have a job by next week, though not international wise

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2012, 04:23:53 pm »
arguable are greatest ever manager.

What? Are you kidding me? Seriously
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2012, 04:24:34 pm »
KERRYKOP still disrespecting Trap, I see.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2012, 04:36:15 pm »
What? Are you kidding me? Seriously
If you were to go on pure football and the way he set his team out he would. He was a few decent penalty takers away from equalling our greatest ever achievement in football. He also was ridiculously unlucky not to bring us to the Euros in 2000.  I know your langer reflex mightn't allow you to believe it at first, but think back to the football we played in the qualifying campaign of world cup 2002, specifically both away games against Holland and Portugal, Iv never seen us play like that before or since and they weren't one offs either, we repeated it a home against Holland as well. That game only turned into a defensive slog towards the end because Gary Kelly got himself sent off.

Mick had a good crop there, but Jack had much better players and underachieved in my opinion. Both Jack and Trap had success to varying degrees playing the worst caveman football imaginable. Mick had success and we looked good as well, performances and football we really could be proud of.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2012, 04:43:30 pm »
Iv said it before I would have Mick back in a heartbeat, arguable are greatest ever manager.
Ahh now hea, stall the bleedin' ball there will ya

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2012, 04:47:11 pm »
Mick's man management skills have already cost this country a golden opportunity of International success.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2012, 04:47:26 pm »
Mick's man management skills have already cost this country a golden opportunity of International success.
Yawn

Ahh now hea, stall the bleedin' ball there will ya

:lmao

That poor divil had no luck

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2012, 04:54:47 pm »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: October 10, 2012, 04:55:08 pm »
Kerr gets a tough time of it, but he did a sound job.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #224 on: October 10, 2012, 05:00:49 pm »
Sadly true.
Do you have a device that can predict random outcomes? Class, Id like a go of that.
Kerr gets a tough time of it, but he did a sound job.
Agreed, thought he did well, lost the dressing room though, thats massive.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #225 on: October 10, 2012, 05:02:13 pm »
If you were to go on pure football and the way he set his team out he would. He was a few decent penalty takers away from equalling our greatest ever achievement in football. He also was ridiculously unlucky not to bring us to the Euros in 2000.  I know your langer reflex mightn't allow you to believe it at first, but think back to the football we played in the qualifying campaign of world cup 2002, specifically both away games against Holland and Portugal, Iv never seen us play like that before or since and they weren't one offs either, we repeated it a home against Holland as well. That game only turned into a defensive slog towards the end because Gary Kelly got himself sent off.

Mick had a good crop there, but Jack had much better players and underachieved in my opinion. Both Jack and Trap had success to varying degrees playing the worst caveman football imaginable. Mick had success and we looked good as well, performances and football we really could be proud of.

My langer reflex? What is that supposed to mean exactly? I can only assume that you have gone and attributed my dismissal of McCarthy to a supposed loyalty that I have for Roy Keane. A person whom I don't even particularly like.

Never mind
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 10, 2012, 05:04:20 pm »
Do you have a device that can predict random outcomes? Class, Id like a go of that.

My mind is a marvel.

But seriously, we could have won the 2002 World Cup

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #227 on: October 10, 2012, 05:08:23 pm »

:D

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #228 on: October 10, 2012, 05:15:01 pm »
Here's my prediction, we would have been robbed by the officials against Korea like Italy and Spain both were and we would have been beaten by Brazil a team that contained Ronaldo, Kaka (both in their pomp) Ronaldinho, Cafu, Roberto Carlos and Lucio. Maybe a bit more realistic outcome.

On the whole Saipan thing, I blame both, there solved :P

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #229 on: October 10, 2012, 05:18:59 pm »
:D

Quiet you. We had Gary 'Baresi' Breen playing centre back, so of course we were going to win that tournament until Roy and Mick had their flounce-off.

I was wondering what the hell Paul McShane was still doing in the Irish squad.
But then I saw that he injured Robbie Keane in training today, so he does have his uses.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #230 on: October 10, 2012, 05:20:26 pm »
I was wondering what the hell Paul McShane was still doing in the Irish squad.
But then I saw that he injured Robbie Keane in training today, so he does have his uses.
;D

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #231 on: October 10, 2012, 05:46:15 pm »
Our 2002 World Cup was a fuck up before we had even boarded the plane

Even the most ardent members of the "Keane should have kept his mouth shut" brigade could conceivably argue against that one

One shouldn't forget that the FAI offered McCarthy a lengthy contract extension just after we had qualified for that World Cup. Yet when the post World Cup inquiry into the squads preparation had been completed (an inquiry commissioned by the FAI themselves no less) Mick never did get to see out his new lucrative 4 year contract.

Best manager we ever had though, according to some

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #232 on: October 10, 2012, 05:56:50 pm »
The lingering smell of Saipan and crowd pressure to have Keane back is what undid Mick, not anything that happened out on the pitch. You might think he handled the Keane situation badly and I do to an extent, but he never lost the players, that must account for something. Keane in the aftermath painted them as traitors and cowards, but there was nothing cowardly about their performances at the World Cup, they fought for their  manager, themselves and their country, no one else. Any lack of man management came down to an issue with one player who so happened to be our most important player, that player should take a healthy share of them as well, after all Keane wasn't sent home, he walked.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 10, 2012, 05:58:25 pm »
after all Keane wasn't sent home, he walked.
Allegedly.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #234 on: October 10, 2012, 06:09:26 pm »
Allegedly.
"Mick, you're a liar … you're a fucking wanker. I didn't rate you as a player, I don't rate you as a manager, and I don't rate you as a person. You're a fucking wanker and you can stick your World Cup up your arse. The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country! You can stick it up your bollocks."

And promptly fucked off.

There was a window of time where Mick could have spoken to Roy and he would have come back, but he didn't. This could have all been avoided if Mick hadn't have held the team meeting about the Times article, he should have spoke to him in private. Keane's natural disposition to act the billy big bollocks became his undoing.

All is well with the benefit of hind-legs I guess Mick wanted to show that no player was above him and didnt expect Keane to walk out on his country in a World Cup over it.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #235 on: October 10, 2012, 06:27:08 pm »
mick was a good manager for ireland. if we have no opportunity to bring in a forward thinking tactical manager, then mick may not be a bad shout.

owen coyle is available now....

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: October 10, 2012, 06:28:41 pm »
mick was a good manager for ireland. if we have no opportunity to bring in a forward thinking tactical manager, then mick may not be a bad shout.

owen coyle is available now....
So is Roy Keane.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #237 on: October 10, 2012, 06:29:26 pm »
I like how McCarthy's ineptness as a manager leading up to that world cup never get referred to. Its as if he gets absolved of all blame because of what that nasty ruffian Keane said to him. Nobody ever mentions that his preparation methods were indeed shambolic. No one ever mentions the fact that he accused Keane of faking injury so he could "supposedly" pull out of warm up games. This is the same Roy Keane who had gone against the instruction of Alex Ferguson and the club doctors at Manchester United who told him not to turn up and line out for his country in numerous games throughout that campaign.

Keane still showed up despite his injury concerns and delivered numerous MOTM performances which in turn caused him to miss games for his club in a season where they were battling Arsenal for the title. Considering all Keane had given to the Irish cause against the wishes of his club, surely one could concede that it was a bit out of order for McCarthy to level that kind of accusation at him. Laughable really. Yet no one ever mentions it, or the fact that Keane sacrificed more than anyone to get us there. And no one ever mentions McCarthy's responsibility for the fuck up that was our preparation for that world cup.

Some people tend to be very selective when referring to what actually surrounded the build up to what happened in Saipan

Offline Reheat Red

• Kopite
« Reply #238 on: October 10, 2012, 06:33:00 pm »
I like how McCarthy's ineptness as a manager leading up to that world cup never get referred to. Its as if he gets absolved of all blame because of what that nasty ruffian Keane said to him. Nobody ever mentions that his preparation methods were indeed shambolic. No one ever mentions the fact that he accused Keane of faking injury so he could "supposedly" pull out of warm up games. This is the same Roy Keane who had gone against the instruction of Alex Ferguson and the club doctors at Manchester United who told him not to turn up and line out for his country in numerous games throughout that campaign.

Keane still showed up despite his injury concerns and delivered numerous MOTM performances which in turn caused him to miss games for his club in a season where they were battling Arsenal for the title. Considering all Keane had given to the Irish cause against the wishes of his club, surely one could concede that it was a bit out of order for McCarthy to level that kind of accusation at him. Laughable really. Yet no one ever mentions it, or the fact that Keane sacrificed more than anyone to get us there. And no one ever mentions McCarthy's responsibility for the fuck up that was our preparation for that world cup.

Some people tend to be very selective when referring to what actually surrounded the build up to what happened in Saipan
Yet it was a pretty good World Cup?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: October 10, 2012, 06:35:51 pm »
Yet it was a pretty good World Cup?
Should have been much better.