Author Topic: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread (Not A Home Nation)  (Read 242769 times)

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread
« Reply #120 on: September 8, 2012, 07:51:08 pm »
What has Paul Ince got to do with anything?
In reference to this sweetie pie

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #121 on: September 8, 2012, 07:52:14 pm »
In reference to this sweetie pie
Football is a simple game.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: September 8, 2012, 07:53:21 pm »
What three strikers played on the wing?

cox, walters and long. It turns out that mcClean is behind all three of those players, mcGeady and the ghost of damien duff to play on the left wing for Ireland in an international game. It's a joke.

Treated like the limited footballer that he is?

ah, you're one of thosel "the manager can do no wrong, and anyone who speaks out of turn is not only a traitor, but shit as well."
he's one of three midifielders we have who plays in the premiership, and there is absolutely nothing he can do to get into the team, no matter how badly the others play, or how massively overwhelmed they are. To discover that you are behind paul green in the pecking order has to be an awful insult.

Of the players that doesn't make the starting 11 regularly, Long is the one that can feel most aggrieved, but he's a great professional, loves playing for his country, and gets on with the job,  he's not in it to massage his own ball sack.

The way that trappatoni handles his squad is a joke, and the way he treats younger players is bordering on a disgrace. Emmet malone put up a list of the 15 rows with players trap has had, and while they aren't all his fault, they can't all be down to the players being a pack of c@nts.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 8, 2012, 08:09:48 pm »
ah, you're one of thosel "the manager can do no wrong, and anyone who speaks out of turn is not only a traitor, but shit as well."he's one of three midifielders we have who plays in the premiership, and there is absolutely nothing he can do to get into the team, no matter how badly the others play, or how massively overwhelmed they are. To discover that you are behind paul green in the pecking order has to be an awful insult.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

Gibson has played what, 20 times for Ireland(?) and other than the goal against Wales, he has done nothing of note.

Trap told Gibson before that he needed to leave Man U to benefit not only his international career, but his career in general. Sunderland agreed a fee with Man U, but Gibson was more interested in his bank account, than his career.

And now poor Darron can't get a game for his country?

Laughable.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: September 8, 2012, 08:13:51 pm »
Darren O' Dea -

"Would I do what Darron has done? No. I'd show up every time. I will never, ever say no, and I can guarantee that,.
Everyone pays their dues. Richard Dunne did not play at the World Cup in 2002 and now it's his turn in the team because he worked for it.
I hope if I keep going the way I am going that one day I will have my turn and it will be someone else who doesn't kick a ball."

The attitude every player representing the Republic of Ireland should have.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 8, 2012, 08:25:41 pm »
:lmao

Even Paul Ince would come up with something better than that.
;D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 8, 2012, 08:28:16 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YaHXk2Kyi0w?version=3&amp;amp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YaHXk2Kyi0w?version=3&amp;amp</a>

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 8, 2012, 08:29:22 pm »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 8, 2012, 08:37:00 pm »
What are your thoughts on the matter anyway, Lawnmowerman?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 8, 2012, 08:37:48 pm »
What are your thoughts on the matter anyway, Lawnmowerman?
Sack him. Get Paul Ince in

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #130 on: September 9, 2012, 12:37:35 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YaHXk2Kyi0w?version=3&amp;amp" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YaHXk2Kyi0w?version=3&amp;amp</a>
:lmao
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 9, 2012, 12:53:31 am »
Again, I haven't said everything is "Rosey in the garden", but as long as we're getting results, I couldn't give a fuck how we played.
Well thats pretty fucking stupid, because if we play like that against the other teams then we will be absoloutely humiliated several times in this group. We were outplayed by Kazakhstan and you're genuinely saying the performance doesn't worry you? 

Win the game.
Not sure the coaching badges are really necessary if thats as far as the tactics go.

While you're all clammering to get McClean into the team, I'll be applauding the players on the pitch, the ones getting results.
In your honest opinion should James McClean be in the starting 11 for Ireland?

Treated like the limited footballer that he is?
Limited he may be, but he certainly has more in his locker than some of the players who have been picked ahead of him in recent times.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

The same way we all did, by reading your blinkered posts.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 9, 2012, 10:26:00 am »
Well thats pretty fucking stupid, because if we play like that against the other teams then we will be absoloutely humiliated several times in this group. We were outplayed by Kazakhstan and you're genuinely saying the performance doesn't worry you? 
Not really, we outplayed France a few years back, and it still got us nowhere, Russia battered us on the pitch, not so long ago, it got them a draw, results are what matters. People are using this Kazakhstan result as a big ole stick to beat Trap with, yes we played poorly, but we got 3 points from our opening game of the World Cup qualifiers, away from home. People talk abouts "England 3RD in the world? Loada bollocks, them rankings", but when it suits the arguments, it's just another big ole stick to swing wildly at Trap.

Not sure the coaching badges are really necessary if thats as far as the tactics go.
They're handy to get the job in the first place though.

In your honest opinion should James McClean be in the starting 11 for Ireland?
I'd like to see what he brings to the Irish table, first, before cementing him into my hypothetical starting 11. I'd have Shane Long in the starting 11, if that's any use to you.

Limited he may be, but he certainly has more in his locker than some of the players who have been picked ahead of him in recent times.
As I've already stated, he's had chances, and has done nothing of note, other than the goal v Wales, at least now he can take his little vacations, during International breaks, or by himself a new car, with his unbefitting wages.

The same way we all did, by reading your blinkered posts.
Not blinkered at all, you may disagree with me, which is fair enough, but please don't come out with this 'blinkered' nonsense, it's not blinkered, it's a realistic look at how things are.

The team selection was wrong, the tactics(if there were any) were completely wrong. Its overwhelmingly obvious.
And to think that, you're accusing me of blinkered posts.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2012, 07:16:39 pm »
Team  for the Oman friendly tomorrow night.........Forde, Coleman, Kelly, McShane, Wilson, Meyler, McCarthy, Brady, Doyle, Long, Keogh

Coleman gets a start and great to see McShane back in an Irish shirt again.................................................................................... NOT!

Yeah thats right, a 'Not' joke

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: September 10, 2012, 07:34:43 pm »
Apparently Trappers is replacing the wingers with winners. That's the tactics sorted then.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:18 pm »
Still no McClean? :no

Offline SteLFC91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: September 10, 2012, 07:51:41 pm »
Our U21's have beaten Italy 4-2 tonight by the way. Down to 9 men too!

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #137 on: September 10, 2012, 07:57:17 pm »
Our U21's have beaten Italy 4-2 tonight by the way. Down to 9 men too!
Crazy, they mentioned it on MNS, nothing to play for though, but still!

Check out one of the goals by Conor Henderson, some strike.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NlhBcVKPIIA&amp;feature=player_embedded" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NlhBcVKPIIA&amp;feature=player_embedded</a>

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #138 on: September 10, 2012, 08:03:34 pm »
While on the subject of great goals there was one scored for Dundalk last week by Mark Griffin which was out of this world, it would contend for goal of the month in any league. The goal is at the start so dont worry.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYb5fxFpKSY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QYb5fxFpKSY</a>

Offline SteLFC91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 10, 2012, 08:09:06 pm »
Jesus, what a goal that was! He plays for Arsenal if I'm not mistaken.

Seemed to be a pretty young side too, and admittedly I haven't ever heard of some of them! Connor Smith on the bench, he's the lad that came second in that Football's Next Star programme that was on Sky a couple of years back. Doing well at Watford now, I know his brother quite well.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #140 on: September 10, 2012, 08:11:50 pm »
Connor Smith on the bench, he's the lad that came second in that Football's Next Star programme that was on Sky a couple of years back. Doing well at Watford now, I know his brother quite well.
He came across quite well, the lad who won it was a complete knob. Glad to hear he's doing well.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #141 on: September 10, 2012, 08:14:34 pm »
Trap has limited the team choice by choosing to not select many players. If you want to defend Trapp and say we have players unsuited to a more fluent less stone age system, then do so. But consider all those we can bring into the team

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 10, 2012, 10:10:49 pm »
While on the subject of great goals there was one scored for Dundalk last week by Mark Griffin which was out of this world, it would contend for goal of the month in any league. The goal is at the start so dont worry.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QYb5fxFpKSY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QYb5fxFpKSY</a>

the rest of the game was pretty good too.

Offline RedHopper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: September 10, 2012, 11:18:14 pm »
Not really, we outplayed France a few years back, and it still got us nowhere, Russia battered us on the pitch, not so long ago, it got them a draw, results are what matters. People are using this Kazakhstan result as a big ole stick to beat Trap with, yes we played poorly, but we got 3 points from our opening game of the World Cup qualifiers, away from home. People talk abouts "England 3RD in the world? Loada bollocks, them rankings", but when it suits the arguments, it's just another big ole stick to swing wildly at Trap.

ah now. by focusing on the result alone, you are basically saying that our performance in paris in 2005 where we played very well, and were unfortunate not to win, and our performance in moscow, which richie dunne and shay given aside, was absolutely wretched, are basically the same thing. Performance is very important as well. And consistently beating teams at the bottom of our group, and basically drawing with the sides ranked above 3rd in the group is kind of what we've always done, apart from under steve staunton. You can't use yet an other narrow victory, over an eastern european football minnow, to justify a system and style of playing, and a series of selection decisions that is unwatchable, and got us absolutely humiliated in Poland. I mean it was always going to be tough, but we just lay there, occasionally trying to play stone age, long-ball 4-4-2. We didn't even change the players, or the system, even in the face of such overwhelming disaster. Why did we play with two strikers against Spain?

I'd like to see what he brings to the Irish table, first, before cementing him into my hypothetical starting 11. I'd have Shane Long in the starting 11, if that's any use to you.

well he's scored more goals than any irish player since he started playing regularly for sunderland, (bar robbie keane who is playing in the MLS) This is a side to his game that trap seems to be unaware of. He seemed surprised to be told that mcClean had already scored twice this season. I wonder how much has trap actually watched of him?

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #144 on: September 11, 2012, 01:27:04 pm »

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: September 11, 2012, 03:47:25 pm »
Wembley friendly against England earmarked for 2013.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ireland-england-friendly-wembley-2013-591639-Sep2012/
Presume we'll start with a 1 goal lead ya?

Will try get over to that I'd say. The football Ireland are currently playing combined with the football Hodgson will have England playing should make for an exciting game.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #146 on: September 11, 2012, 04:42:09 pm »
Yeah it will be a shocker, but Iv never been to Wembley and this is a perfect excuse.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 11, 2012, 05:19:12 pm »
ah now. by focusing on the result alone, you are basically saying that our performance in paris in 2005 where we played very well, and were unfortunate not to win, and our performance in moscow, which richie dunne and shay given aside, was absolutely wretched, are basically the same thing. Performance is very important as well. And consistently beating teams at the bottom of our group, and basically drawing with the sides ranked above 3rd in the group is kind of what we've always done, apart from under steve staunton. You can't use yet an other narrow victory, over an eastern european football minnow, to justify a system and style of playing, and a series of selection decisions that is unwatchable, and got us absolutely humiliated in Poland. I mean it was always going to be tough, but we just lay there, occasionally trying to play stone age, long-ball 4-4-2. We didn't even change the players, or the system, even in the face of such overwhelming disaster. Why did we play with two strikers against Spain?

well he's scored more goals than any irish player since he started playing regularly for sunderland, (bar robbie keane who is playing in the MLS) This is a side to his game that trap seems to be unaware of. He seemed surprised to be told that mcClean had already scored twice this season. I wonder how much has trap actually watched of him?

While you're dreaming of sexy football, I'll be in Rio.

It was silly individual errors that were our downfall in

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #148 on: September 11, 2012, 05:28:51 pm »
While you're dreaming of sexy football, I'll be in Rio.
You planning on going? So am I. Will cost a fortune if we qualify so I hope we dont :D

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »
You planning on going? So am I. Will cost a fortune if we qualify so I hope we dont :D

Aye, definitely going to Rio, should we get there. Would have loved to get to the Euros, alas my sexual activity caused my Euros to enter the tills of Mothercare, rather than the tills of Poland's finest tithe tábhairne.

A good looking lad like you will clean up, in Rio.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 11, 2012, 05:39:26 pm »
Aye, definitely going to Rio, should we get there. Would have loved to get to the Euros, alas my sexual activity caused my Euros to enter the tills of Mothercare, rather than the tills of Poland's finest tithe tábhairne.

A good looking lad like you will clean up, in Rio.
You have a baby on the way? Congrats.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 11, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »
You have a baby on the way? Congrats.
Yup, I do  :D

Cheers, bud  :)

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: September 11, 2012, 05:46:59 pm »

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »
Yup, I do  :D

Cheers, bud  :)
I fear for the future of this country ;)

Congratulations :)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 11, 2012, 05:50:23 pm »

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2012, 05:52:34 pm »
Wonder if Rawk will be around in 20 years. Two young Anywhichways threading the boards!!

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2012, 05:54:34 pm »
Wonder if Rawk will be around in 20 years. Two young Anywhichways threading the boards!!
At least then I'd have someone quoting my post and saying "I agree", or "Excellent post"

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »
At least then I'd have someone quoting my post and saying "I agree", or "Excellent post"
Ha. More like "Da, you're embaressing me!" ;)

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2012, 07:17:02 pm »
I fucking hate setanta.

Offline MBL?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2012, 07:26:05 pm »
McShane out with a virus, St. Ledger comes in.