Author Topic: FC Barcelona  (Read 876724 times)

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: FC Barcelona
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2012, 10:47:37 am »
I think it was a mistake for Guardiola to not buy a left back and center back and instead spend all the money on Fabregas and Sanchez. They have scored some goals in the beginning of the season but I don't think they really fit in like the rest of the team. He had to move Messi to accommodate them and maybe that caused his drop in form as well.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 25, 2012, 10:48:12 am »
Pep's off to Chelsea.

Offline thereader

• Weerrrdapeeepeeehllllllll!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: April 25, 2012, 10:52:28 am »
I think it was a mistake for Guardiola to not buy a left back and center back and instead spend all the money on Fabregas and Sanchez. They have scored some goals in the beginning of the season but I don't think they really fit in like the rest of the team. He had to move Messi to accommodate them and maybe that caused his drop in form as well.
The Fabregas transfer actually seemed like something they felt they had to do, 'bring him home', and breaking Arsenal's resistance.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:41 am »
It's hard to criticise Barcelona for anything because they are an amazing side and have clocked up the major trophies to boot. But don't people think that maybe they should have tried just something a bit different yesterday?

I dunno
Its easy to look back on the game and say that I suppose
But one of the things that makes them such a class team is that they have total and utter belief in their systems and the way they play the game
Its won them lots of plaudits when people say that they stick to their game and they dont change for anyone and who can argue ?
They've won the lot recently and they'll keep winning I'm sure, and I suspect they will change for no man

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 25, 2012, 11:05:15 am »

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: April 25, 2012, 11:14:00 am »
Being honest, I think Barcas defence is shite and calling them the best team in the world is a massive overstatement considering they have so many glaring weaknesses.

A goalie who is shite, a defence that can't really defend, they'll get away with it 95% of the time it's just when they come up against top opposition they may get find out.

Laughable comment. Their whole team is tasked with defending, and it hugely, impressively effective.

Offline thereader

• Weerrrdapeeepeeehllllllll!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: April 25, 2012, 11:18:24 am »
I dunno
Its easy to look back on the game and say that I suppose
But one of the things that makes them such a class team is that they have total and utter belief in their systems and the way they play the game
Its won them lots of plaudits when people say that they stick to their game and they dont change for anyone and who can argue ?
They've won the lot recently and they'll keep winning I'm sure, and I suspect they will change for no man
Isn't tactical flexibility a very good skill to have as well?

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2012, 11:19:13 am »
Laughable comment. Their whole team is tasked with defending, and it hugely, impressively effective.

Agreed
Anyone who subscribes to the thought that Barca can't defend, have a look at their defensive record, in both the league and champions league, even look at the last few years and you'll  realise that they certainly know how to defend
I've seen them live on a few occasions and one of the things that struck me each time was just how quickly they snuff out attacks

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2012, 11:20:44 am »
Isn't tactical flexibility a very good skill to have as well?

Sure it is.
But when playing 1 way brings you the success it has for them its no wonder they stick to it
They tried it with Ibrahimovic, and they may try it again next season but I wouldnt hold my breath

Offline Kienast

• Main Stander
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2012, 11:22:34 am »
Barcelona's top scorers this season:

Messi - 63
Fabregas - 15
Sanchez - 14

Says it all really.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: April 25, 2012, 11:24:21 am »

Messi - 63
Fabregas - 15
Sanchez - 14

Says it all really.

Yeah, that they have one of the finest players ever to play the game in their team
What I wouldnt give to have 2 players who have scored 15 and 14 goals this season never mind one who has scored 63

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2012, 11:25:01 am »
some muppets coming out the woodwork today. just heard one idiot say that barcelona and spain are "overrated" and that busquets, mascherano and sanchez are "average".

These idiots are always waiting for a team to lose and then come out with all sorts of shit that Barca have been found out, only have one tactic, have fucked up etc.

They play the best football in the world and have been for a good few seasons and have picked up a handful of trophies in the process. Just because they've come to a point where some of their stars are looking a little jaded, the team lacking a CF and facing opposition parking a 10 man bus, Barca are suddenly now shit.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #212 on: April 25, 2012, 11:25:47 am »

Messi - 63
Fabregas - 15
Sanchez - 14

Says it all really.

Not sure what that says other than Messi is an unbelievable player.

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #213 on: April 25, 2012, 11:28:58 am »
I think the loss of Abidal has really hit barca badly.

this.  he provided great balance and another outlet and occasional goal threat

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:29 am »
Being honest, I think Barcas defence is shite and calling them the best team in the world is a massive overstatement considering they have so many glaring weaknesses.

based on the fact that they were caught on the break twice last night yeah, forget the last couple of years, forget the fact they have the best defensive record in la liga conceding only 26 in 34 games

A goalie who is shite

Thats why he is ahead of reina in the national team?

As much as I think Rafa had his weaknesses, I believe Rafa's side would beat this Barca side 7 or 8 out of 10 times

which side? the one that finished 7th in the prem and went out of the champions league in the group stages? or the one that won it in 2005? or are you selecting the team that finished 2nd in the prem?

which ever you are referring too, are you playing against barca last night or barca from the champions league final last season who totally destroyed last seasons premiership champions?

A pointless and stupid statement really!

when they are winning they are the best ever, when they lose a couple you say they are overrated!

Offline Kienast

• Main Stander
« Reply #215 on: April 25, 2012, 11:30:33 am »
Yeah, that they have one of the finest players ever to play the game in their team
What I wouldnt give to have 2 players who have scored 15 and 14 goals this season never mind one who has scored 63
But if you take Madrid on the other hand, they have three players who scored more than 20 goals (Higuain, Benzema, Ronaldo) this season.
Barca have been missing Villa badly this season and if Pedro is out of form like he's been since around January, they're lacking another goal scorer and are too reliant on Messi.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #216 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:38 am »
I think the would have one easily last night if the had just taken more shots from outside the box. The spent pretty much the whole game on the edge of the penalty are and were just not shooting at all.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 25, 2012, 11:32:39 am »
But if you take Madrid on the other hand, they have three players who scored more than 20 goals (Higuain, Benzema, Ronaldo) this season.
Barca have been missing Villa badly this season and if Pedro is out of form like he's been since around January, they're lacking another goal scorer and are too reliant on Messi.

I still fail to see how having 3 players score nearly 100 goals between them in a bad thing  ;)

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #218 on: April 25, 2012, 11:46:54 am »
Actually, what has happened to Pedro?  How can a player who looked so classy last season have such a mare and for so long!

Online KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #219 on: April 25, 2012, 11:48:44 am »

Messi - 63
Fabregas - 15
Sanchez - 14

Says it all really.

messi should have more. 

Offline Kienast

• Main Stander
« Reply #220 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:25 am »
I still fail to see how having 3 players score nearly 100 goals between them in a bad thing  ;)

When the player who scored 2/3 of them has an off day, they struggle to break down defensive walls like Chelsea's yesterday.
Last season they had Villa tearing defences apart and Pedro scoring left and right alongside a brilliant Messi. This season they've been too reliant on Messi when it comes to scoring due to Villa being injured and Pedro being completely out of form.

I think their attack cost them more this season their defence, which has not really been that bad. Chelsea and Madrid were just unbelievably clinical in front of goal.

Offline PanchDeBurca

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 25, 2012, 11:51:03 am »
Certainly one of the greatest teams ever with many brilliant players - of that there can be no doubt.

But even the very best teams and the very best players can't win every game and every competition.  This year is not their year - just the same as our great sides of the 70-80's didn't win every game and every competition every year.

What has cost them in the last 3 games is poor finishing coupled with conceding goals at bad times during these games.  There can be good times and bad times to concede - Drogba in first game just before half time, Ronaldo a couple of minutes after they scored, and Rameries just before half time are all terrible times to concede - just as Barca were about to exert their superiority they get pegged back which gave Real and Chelsea something to really fight for - which they both had to as they were largely dominated by Barca. 

the other thing is that they wasted many chances against Chelsea - woodwork 4 times and Messi missing a penalty (again at a crucial time) is bad luck - against Real the finishing was poor and they should have scored a couple in the second half - at least

It is a bit stupid really to see people now coming out slating them because Barca haven't gotten results in the last 3 games - well C'est la vie.  You can't win them all.  But i really admire how Barca stick to their principles on how the game should be played - it is an admirable quality - especially as the way they play is the way to play.  They completly dominated Chelsea over 2 legs - it was real men against boys stuff - but luck and bad finishing went against them.  It happens - God knows liverpool fans this season should know about dominating games, hitting the wordwork and end up losing.

So is this the end of a great team - most definately not.   Bit of tweaking needed maybe - a good rest most definately needed

Offline mcfc1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #222 on: April 25, 2012, 11:52:25 am »
Actually, what has happened to Pedro?  How can a player who looked so classy last season have such a mare and for so long!

He was injured for the most of the season wasn't he? Still, should have been ahead of Cuenca and Tello.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2012, 11:52:50 am »
When the player who scored 2/3 of them has an off day, they struggle to break down defensive walls like Chelsea's yesterday.
Last season they had Villa tearing defences apart and Pedro scoring left and right alongside a brilliant Messi. This season they've been too reliant on Messi when it comes to scoring due to Villa being injured and Pedro being completely out of form.

I think their attack cost them more this season their defence, which has not really been that bad. Chelsea and Madrid were just unbelievably clinical in front of goal.

But that's the thing they didn't fail to break down chelsea, they broke through 2 times, messi missed a penalty and hit the post (well twice if you count the penalty)
They have quite a few people in the squad who can score goals, would they be better if Villa was back? Probably, but to say they aren't scoring goals if Messi has an off day is wrong. It makes it more difficult but they do still have options.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:56:09 am by Chakan »

Offline Discipline

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 25, 2012, 11:53:53 am »
83% possession...
Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Muhammad Ali

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #225 on: April 25, 2012, 11:53:56 am »

Tough one with Pedro - not sure he's that great a player to start all the time as in he knows the system very well in which he and the team plays, but after injury perhaps lacks that confidence and sharpness required - as well as opposition players now knowing his strengths and weaknesses - and he seems currently unable to adapt.

Seems, as Eirwen says at the top of page - Barca need a centreback and leftback (2) - maybe even a wide forward or winger too, as well as a more orthodox forward on the bench to give the team something a little different option-wise. Doesn't mean that have to betray their principles - but the more possibilities the better, no?

Hindsight, eh? a wonderful thing ;)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #226 on: April 25, 2012, 12:17:14 pm »
Tough one with Pedro - not sure he's that great a player to start all the time as in he knows the system very well in which he and the team plays, but after injury perhaps lacks that confidence and sharpness required - as well as opposition players now knowing his strengths and weaknesses - and he seems currently unable to adapt.

Still doesn't make much sense not to use him even as a sub and instead use Tello or Cuenca.Come on!I mean whatever is going on with him the guy has the experience,the goal in him to help you much more than those 2 mentioned above.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #227 on: April 25, 2012, 12:20:51 pm »
The problem Barcelona have is that they dont find themselves in a losing position often. So when they do they have no alternative plan of attack and they cant break out of their set pattern.

No urgency.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #228 on: April 25, 2012, 12:25:13 pm »

For me they still have to prove they are as good as the 80's Liverpool side or Sacchi's Milan.

They are pretty but lack power - and that's with (arguably) the greatest football player of all time playing for them from an early age flanked by two Ballon D'Or finalists.

there no way "the greatest team ever" should have been undone by an aged Chelsea side with a caretaker manager. Twice. The second time with a cobbled together back line and ten men.

Don't believe the hype.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 25, 2012, 12:35:39 pm »
For me they still have to prove they are as good as the 80's Liverpool side or Sacchi's Milan.

They are pretty but lack power - and that's with (arguably) the greatest football player of all time playing for them from an early age flanked by two Ballon D'Or finalists.

there no way "the greatest team ever" should have been undone by an aged Chelsea side with a caretaker manager. Twice. The second time with a cobbled together back line and ten men.

Don't believe the hype.

Of course they are up their with Liverpool of the 80s and sacchi's Milan. They have won 3 European Cups in the last 6-7 years.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #230 on: April 25, 2012, 12:36:42 pm »
Still doesn't make much sense not to use him even as a sub and instead use Tello or Cuenca.Come on!I mean whatever is going on with him the guy has the experience,the goal in him to help you much more than those 2 mentioned above.

You're right - though maybe Pedro as someone who gets the ball to cut back or cross for others would've been ineffective against the massed ranks of Chelsea in trying to pick out just Messi (seemed few others timed their runs into the box with conviction), and that in playing the kids who are more likely could create chances for themselves?

I've no idea as haven't seen enough of the kids - and obviously it didn't pan out amongst other failings of Barca - yet also a reluctant chunk of credit to the tactics of Chelsea in stifling them
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: April 25, 2012, 12:38:14 pm »
Of course they are up their with Liverpool of the 80s and sacchi's Milan. They have won 3 European Cups in the last 6-7 years.

pffft any team can do that. Its just hype.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2012, 12:42:15 pm »
These idiots are always waiting for a team to lose and then come out with all sorts of shit that Barca have been found out, only have one tactic, have fucked up etc.

They play the best football in the world and have been for a good few seasons and have picked up a handful of trophies in the process. Just because they've come to a point where some of their stars are looking a little jaded, the team lacking a CF and facing opposition parking a 10 man bus, Barca are suddenly now shit.
Spot on. I'm no Barca fan but some expect them to win every trophy they compete in.

I guess that's how high they have set the bar.

Offline Bjinxi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2012, 12:43:02 pm »
Well they were unlucky again I think... missed peno hit the woodwork and had good chances against chelsesa in the first leg.

but I really think that they miss someone who can be used as a target man.. I dont remember Villa being that kind of guy...

They should aim to sign someone like that and of course they are the best team in the world although they are going through a bad run

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: April 25, 2012, 12:45:27 pm »
the comments on the last 2 pages are fucking laughable.

they will come back stronger and probably sweep everything next season
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: April 25, 2012, 12:53:11 pm »
That game was like watching LFC 2012 vs LFC 2005

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2012, 01:00:46 pm »
The problem Barcelona have is that they dont find themselves in a losing position often. So when they do they have no alternative plan of attack and they cant break out of their set pattern.

No urgency.

Their plan A works 99% of the time. It's only the 1% of the time that it doesn't work, you hear people saying they have no plan B.

Lets be real, on another week, barca would have buried their chances in the 1st leg and this conversation wouldn't be happening.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2012, 01:21:38 pm »
valdes has been piss poor recently. i've never seen a keeper get caught in no mans land so often. ok he's harldy helped by his defence playing a high line but he's still not covered himself in glory. the drogba goal in the first leg being a prime example.

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #238 on: April 25, 2012, 01:32:41 pm »
Well they were unlucky again I think... missed peno hit the woodwork and had good chances against chelsesa in the first leg.

but I really think that they miss someone who can be used as a target man.. I dont remember Villa being that kind of guy...

They should aim to sign someone like that and of course they are the best team in the world although they are going through a bad run

That's what they thought of when they went for Ibrahimovic.  Didn't work out so they went back to a small mobile forward, replacing Etoo with Villa.  They've just had a bad patch at the wrong time.  A few additions to freshen up the squad and they'll be fine

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: April 25, 2012, 01:34:15 pm »
Sacchi coached Milan 4 years the first time. As long as Guardiola has coached Barcelona at the end of this season. Both have won 2 European Cups, but Guardiola has 3 league titles to Sacchi's one. What makes you think Milan were the better side?

Liverpool couldn't compete in Europe obviously, but it's not like we won the league every year either.