Author Topic: Demon's Souls  (Read 16410 times)

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
Re: Demon's Souls
« Reply #160 on: June 5, 2011, 11:39:48 pm »
It's also good having pure white WT if you get the demonbrant early on in the game.  I got that on the first level or second and used it the whole game by having all worlds go pure white.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #161 on: June 6, 2011, 06:30:06 pm »
Sounds a bit complicated all of that, I will have a go at this once I complete the online version of the game first.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Seņor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #162 on: June 9, 2011, 06:19:58 pm »
Looking good on this now. Completed 1-1,1-2, 1-3, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-1 and 4-2. All worlds in Pure White. Got my strength high enough to handle the Purple Flame Shield and the Great Sword, could perhaps do with a higher equip burden so I can carry some decent armour without sacrificing my manouvrability. Soul Ray and Flame Toss in my magic slots, a decently upgraded Compound Long Bow+5 and a Scimitar+6 if I need slashing damage. Also got a Hiltless and Makoto as backup weapons if I need them. Just gotta upgrade my bow, or  get strong enough to use the White Bow before taking on the Blue Dragon without it taking about 3 hours. Then I can take on Old King Doran, and then maybe (maybe) even Flamelurker. The c*nt.

I got cocky against the Old Hero, and attacked him twice in one manouvre when he had a slither of health left (about 100HP) making him smash me to bits after I'd spent like an hour and a half figuring out how to survive the Shadowlurkers. I was not happy.

Thinking of either finishing world 4 or starting world 5 next, probably finish 4 first

edit - How can world 5 be in pure white if I haven't started it yet? And the gate at the start of 1-1 isn't open. Hmm

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #163 on: June 9, 2011, 06:26:33 pm »
You playing online?  Think they sometimes shift depending on the year, like pure black during halloween

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #164 on: June 9, 2011, 06:29:11 pm »
You playing online?  Think they sometimes shift depending on the year, like pure black during halloween

Yeah. I'll play offline tonight, see if I can get that loot from 1-1 and meet Miralda. There's a handy looking Crystal Lizard down there as well. Could do with the key from 3-2 as well, wanna free Rydell

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #165 on: June 9, 2011, 06:50:38 pm »
yeah think it's just some event with the server but can't find any info on any of the demon's souls sites/forums

i started a new save to test and all worlds look pure white but the gate in 1-1 is still locked so it could be a glitch

Offline DanFromMars

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #166 on: June 9, 2011, 08:16:11 pm »
Mmm that's what annoyed me, completed it, got all pure white and still couldn't get past the 1-1 gate...

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #167 on: June 10, 2011, 02:10:08 am »
Got my Strength up to 30 so I could use the White Bow. Then realised my Dexterity needs to be 24 to use it efficiently. Damn. :(

Since my Strength's 30 (loving the Great Sword atm) I can use the Tower Shield. Is it worth the sacrifice in weight, or should I stick with the Purple Flame Shield+1?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: June 10, 2011, 02:13:37 am »
Going to start playing this again soon, last thing I did on it was beat the weird slime demon (first boss) and haven't been on it since.

Wouldn't mind doing an online game with someone when I can if anyones up for it?

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #169 on: June 10, 2011, 03:33:05 am »
Going to start playing this again soon, last thing I did on it was beat the weird slime demon (first boss) and haven't been on it since.

Wouldn't mind doing an online game with someone when I can if anyones up for it?

You can give me a hand with Flamelurker if you want :P

Don't wanna do it on my own :( ;D

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: June 10, 2011, 11:09:39 am »

Spoiler
if you're that stuck with flamelurker you can take the easy way out using poison cloud
[close]

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 10, 2011, 12:37:28 pm »

I like A challenge! ;D

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #172 on: June 11, 2011, 04:51:37 pm »
Feck me, this game has enormous depth. Having finished 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 now. I've just found out how I can use magic, and those lizard things are annoying as bitch. Can I play 1-3 or 3-1 now, or do I play 2-2 first?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: June 11, 2011, 06:29:36 pm »
Feck me, this game has enormous depth. Having finished 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1 now. I've just found out how I can use magic, and those lizard things are annoying as bitch. Can I play 1-3 or 3-1 now, or do I play 2-2 first?

from where you are right now you can play 2-2, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1 plus any of the levels you've already cleared, you won't be able to get into 1-3 until you've beaten an arch-demon, if you're at a low soul level i wouldn't try 4-1 yet as you'll get hammered by the skeletons

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #174 on: June 11, 2011, 07:32:22 pm »
Leechmonger was a piece of piss, shat myself when I met the first Giant Depraved One

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: June 11, 2011, 09:32:50 pm »
Leechmonger was a piece of piss, shat myself when I met the first Giant Depraved One

they're the worst enemies in the game, they wouldn't be too bad in any of the other worlds but the one's in 5-1 are in tight areas where there's not much room to maneuver
Spoiler
there's a few more in 5-1 as a ladder appears near where you meet the first 1 in PWWT
[close]

and the one's in 5-2 are in or very close to the poison swamp which is almost impossible to dodge in, if you can keep to a small patch of land you'll be ok but it's very difficult
Spoiler
most of them in 5-2 can be avoided first time you go in there, there's 1 on an island close to the first fog gate then another 2 and a shamen just before the 2nd fog gate, there's also 4 more but these are the other side of the wall that splits the swamp in 2 close to the ledge that leads to the raised bridge, you can flank the island near the first fog gate and avoid all the depraved ones on there but you'll need to kill the 2 near the 2nd fog gate but these are easy to snipe as long as you don't keep firing arrows at them and piss them off, it's a bit hard to describe but after the 2nd fog gate work your way across and keep going past the 3rd fog gate, there's a ledge which goes back around to near where you first drop into the poison swamp, there's a bridge you can activate so you don't need to go back into the swamp
[close]

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #176 on: June 11, 2011, 10:44:25 pm »
The thing with Flamelurker is I can't be bothered to go through the entire level to get back to him when I die, so I really wanna kill him first time. Got Poison Cloud now though :)

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: June 11, 2011, 11:37:05 pm »
yeah it's a pain in the arse getting back to flamelurker there's 2 or 3 ways to get there but they're all long winded, quickest is from the start to go down the right hand tunnel and drop down which is ok once you learn where it's safe to drop the other 2 ways involve going through the worm tunnels which are easy to get lost in plus there's a couple of giant bear bugs which can take ages to kill, must've took me 20 attempts first time through before i cracked and used poison cloud

i can beat him now without using it but you need to be very patient and watch his attacks, also try to get him stuck at the bottom of the steps at the far side of the level where you can get a few cheap shots in

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #178 on: June 11, 2011, 11:40:00 pm »
yeah it's a pain in the arse getting back to flamelurker there's 2 or 3 ways to get there but they're all long winded, quickest is from the start to go down the right hand tunnel and drop down which is ok once you learn where it's safe to drop the other 2 ways involve going through the worm tunnels which are easy to get lost in plus there's a couple of giant bear bugs which can take ages to kill, must've took me 20 attempts first time through before i cracked and used poison cloud

i can beat him now without using it but you need to be very patient and watch his attacks, also try to get him stuck at the bottom of the steps at the far side of the level where you can get a few cheap shots in

I've got my dexterity pretty high, with Safe Landing at 3, so hopefully I can get down there without taking too much damage.

edit- Here we go...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 12:08:16 am by rowan_d »

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #179 on: June 12, 2011, 01:56:42 am »
Beat him using Poison Cloud. He got stuck behind a pillar, silly bastard. just upgrading my weapons now, got the Lava Bow and Scimitar+7, Great Sword+4 and Purple Flame Shield+2. Gonna be a pain in the arse looking for chunks of Sharpstone

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: June 12, 2011, 01:58:53 am »
Really want to start playing this again without starting a new save, but haven't got the courage to give me mind a battering from the frustration :(

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #181 on: June 12, 2011, 01:59:27 am »
Really want to start playing this again without starting a new save, but haven't got the courage to give me mind a battering from the frustration :(

What levels are you having trouble with?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: June 12, 2011, 02:08:40 am »
What levels are you having trouble with?

I'm not mate, just can't get myself together to actually put the disc in the console! ;D

Like I said a few posts above, I've only just beaten the first boss! ;D

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: June 12, 2011, 12:03:22 pm »
wimp ;)

having said that i went through a phase a couple of months after i got the game where i just couldn't face it, once i got back into it i beat the shite out of it though and ended up getting the platinum

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #184 on: June 12, 2011, 12:33:52 pm »
Only got 1-4, 5-2, 5-3 and the final boss left now.

Can the Blue Dragon be killed from the bottom of the stairs, rather than trying to run through its fire-breath?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: June 12, 2011, 01:03:55 pm »
Only got 1-4, 5-2, 5-3 and the final boss left now.

Can the Blue Dragon be killed from the bottom of the stairs, rather than trying to run through its fire-breath?

yeah but it takes a while to kill it, i have sticky compound long bow +5 with heavy arrows and 74 strength & 71 dexterity and it still takes over 150 arrows to kill it, get as close to the top of the steps as you can without the flames hitting you, i kind of aim into the center of the flames when it's head is in the lowest position, you can't really see what you're aiming at but you should do between 10 & 15 damage with each arrow

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #186 on: June 12, 2011, 01:52:05 pm »
I've got a Lava Bow, and a White Bow which I can;t use properly just yet. I'm thinking Water Veil and Ring of Flame Resistance, then finding the safe spot for the auto-locked bow

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #187 on: June 12, 2011, 04:01:39 pm »
Question, what do I do with the souls of the boss? I got the soul of boss from 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and the Red Dragon. Do I use it for leveling up?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 12, 2011, 04:11:58 pm »
you use the souls to get upgraded weapons and learn spells & miracles

for upgraded weapons you need to beat flamelurker in 2-2 then give his soul to blacksmith ed in 2-1 first, the red & blue dragon souls can't be used for anything so just consume them and use the souls to level up

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #189 on: June 12, 2011, 04:21:57 pm »
Closeto upgrading the Scimitar to the Large Sword of Searching

edit - Allant is quite the bastard. I'm thinking a combo of Homing Soul Arrows and Poison Cloud could see him off
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:01:57 pm by rowan_d »

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 12, 2011, 09:23:14 pm »
Closeto upgrading the Scimitar to the Large Sword of Searching

edit - Allant is quite the bastard. I'm thinking a combo of Homing Soul Arrows and Poison Cloud could see him off

Spoiler
poison cloud works fine but you have to wait for him to walk towards you when you first enter the room, once he turns his back sneak up on him and cast it, if you try to do it before he turns he'll hammer you plus he has an attack which takes soul levels off you, i use a big shield (purple flame shield maxed out but a tower shield should be ok) and moon winged spear +5, you need either high endurance or the ring that regenerates it then it's a case of keeping the shield up and rolling out the way of his attacks  then jab with the spear when you get chance

if you really struggle and lose a few levels then the cheap way out is to poison cloud him then just back off slowly down the stairs so he doesn't see you and wait for it to wear off then rinse and repeat
[close]

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #191 on: June 12, 2011, 09:47:54 pm »
They had a good oppurtunity to use the left side of the fork at the start of the level as a shortcut to the boss. Going through a load of crossbow soldiers, an Imperial Guard, 2 Fat Officials and 2 Red Knights isn't too fun

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #192 on: June 12, 2011, 11:59:08 pm »
How do you kill those fat bugs in 2-2? They take forever with a sword.

Offline rowan_d

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #193 on: June 13, 2011, 12:46:28 am »

Get behind them and use Soul Ray/Arrow

Killed Allant and Doran, Poison Clouded both of them :(

Offline NeoAdjuvant

• Kopite
« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2011, 01:08:32 am »
Pussy!  ;D

Flamelurker: When you enter the fog gate, make sure you have a thief's ring on. You can then walk if you hug the right hand wall and get right behind him, because he can't 'see' you (somehow). You can then prepare etc... I like to open with a Homing Soul Arrow/Soul Ray combo (i'm a pure mage). Never had a problem with Flamelurker now that I think about it. Old King Allant can suck all the dicks though. Hate that fight.

Everyone knows Garl Vinland is the best battle in the game. His music's boss aswell.
But like the jet engine, there's sadly very little this country does better than having the raw materials to do something truly amazing that would benefit the whole of society only to piss it away due to a total lack of long term thinking and/or suspicion of anything European.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2011, 03:56:16 am »
Get behind them and use Soul Ray/Arrow

Follow up question, what the feck is a Soul Ray?

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2011, 04:29:59 am »
Follow up question, what the feck is a Soul Ray?

it's a spell, you need to rescue sage freke who's locked in a cell in 3-1, once you free him he appears in the nexus, to learn the spell you need to give him the doll demon's soul which you get when you beat the 3-1 boss

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2011, 04:36:14 am »

if you haven't got soul arrow/ray or poison cloud then the best way is with a spear, you need to get behind them though which can be difficult with the one's in the tunnels (one of them is in a bit where the tunnels fork then rejoin each other so if you take the right hand fork and come back up the other side you can easily get behind the bug) just make sure you've got somewhere to run when you finally kill it as they explode

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2011, 02:44:17 pm »
it's a spell, you need to rescue sage freke who's locked in a cell in 3-1, once you free him he appears in the nexus, to learn the spell you need to give him the doll demon's soul which you get when you beat the 3-1 boss

What the fuck is that level all about? I was bricking it big time, seriously, mind fuck of a level. The bells and the groans creeped me out big time.

you've got somewhere to run when you finally kill it as they explode

Yea found that out the hard way. I thought they were shining because of the big loot I was about to pick up :P

Brilliant game, cannot have enough of it, yet it has me pulling my hair.

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 13, 2011, 03:44:22 pm »
What the fuck is that level all about? I was bricking it big time, seriously, mind fuck of a level. The bells and the groans creeped me out big time.

the bells are the mind flayers which are right bastards, at range they fire soul ray which does a lot of damage but there's a shied which can reduce it (dark silver shield i think?) at close range they can paralyze you which at low levels means you're as good as dead and they have a sonic boom spell as well which causes heavy damage, there's a miracle you can learn called anti magic field but you need the soul from the 4-3 boss to get it, when you cast it you can run up to a mind flayer and it can't do fuck all and gives you 60 seconds to kill it

the level itself is a nightmare especially the first few times you play it, once you learn where all the keys are it's not too bad