Author Topic: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread  (Read 1009989 times)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Re: Alcohol Issues - The Carl van Riel Memorial Thread
« Reply #12600 on: May 26, 2021, 12:42:20 pm »
Until now, I wanted to stop. Now I don't want to stop. I want to start again.

HOW DO I STOP MYSELF FROM NOT WANTING TO STOP?!  :butt

This is new territory.

Absolutely awful news mate, but they've ruined enough lives already.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #12601 on: June 1, 2021, 08:04:18 am »
Absolutely awful news mate, but they've ruined enough lives already.
Thanks mate, that helped.

Today is four months without a drop.

This evening I have been invited to the opening of a fancy restaurant in Tallinn - I helped create their 'story' as part of their brand launch. Not sure if I'll raise a glass of something or not. The interesting thing about that relates to the last time I did this in 2018 (3 months) - on June 1st 2018, I had my first drink and I posted about how little I enjoyed it - back then it was something I had been longing for, counting down to, thinking of it as a reward.....

This time I don't.

This time is different.

This time, I feel much freer to make that choice - cos that's exactly what it is.

Maybe I'll try it and, like three years ago, simply not enjoy it?

Maybe I'll decide on the spot that I don't want to, because I'm now better able to distinguish between "want" and "need"?

Maybe I'll get totally slaughtered? Maybe not.......

Either way, thanks at least in part to this thread, I went 4 months. And it feels good.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #12602 on: June 1, 2021, 04:58:40 pm »
Thanks mate, that helped.

Today is four months without a drop.

This evening I have been invited to the opening of a fancy restaurant in Tallinn - I helped create their 'story' as part of their brand launch. Not sure if I'll raise a glass of something or not. The interesting thing about that relates to the last time I did this in 2018 (3 months) - on June 1st 2018, I had my first drink and I posted about how little I enjoyed it - back then it was something I had been longing for, counting down to, thinking of it as a reward.....

This time I don't.

This time is different.

This time, I feel much freer to make that choice - cos that's exactly what it is.

Maybe I'll try it and, like three years ago, simply not enjoy it?

Maybe I'll decide on the spot that I don't want to, because I'm now better able to distinguish between "want" and "need"?

Maybe I'll get totally slaughtered? Maybe not.......

Either way, thanks at least in part to this thread, I went 4 months. And it feels good.

You can do it mate! I know you can. :scarf

Offline L4Red

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12603 on: June 10, 2021, 07:53:51 pm »
6 months today  :D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12604 on: June 10, 2021, 08:40:45 pm »
6 months today  :D
Woohoooo!!!!!! Great going that. Well done!

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12605 on: June 10, 2021, 08:41:07 pm »
You can do it mate! I know you can. :scarf
Still not had one......

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12606 on: June 16, 2021, 04:29:03 pm »
Still not had one......

Nigh swan!!  8)

Extremely busy here these days with the European Champs and students graduating, so we're literally working around the clock these days. It's nice to finally earn my own money again. :scarf

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12607 on: July 1, 2021, 09:48:35 pm »
Lost another friend this week to what appears to have been the demon drink (I hope it's not - but all the signs were there - am surprised he lasted as long as he did - he was in a bad way last time we met.......)

Going through that whole, "I wish I'd done more!" thing. Again. But the sad truth is Sean pushed away all the help whilst at the same time begging for it......such a tortured soul and such a lovely man.

He was my mentor in 1995 and I was his shadow in 1996 - without him I would not have become a coach and trainer. I owe him my career........

Rest In Peace you fucking mad twat  :'(

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #12608 on: July 2, 2021, 10:52:39 pm »
Lost another friend this week to what appears to have been the demon drink (I hope it's not - but all the signs were there - am surprised he lasted as long as he did - he was in a bad way last time we met.......)

Going through that whole, "I wish I'd done more!" thing. Again. But the sad truth is Sean pushed away all the help whilst at the same time begging for it......such a tortured soul and such a lovely man.

He was my mentor in 1995 and I was his shadow in 1996 - without him I would not have become a coach and trainer. I owe him my career........

Rest In Peace you fucking mad twat  :'(
Seen your Facebook post, never realised it was drink related. Thoughts with you Jim. Stay strong and live long and prosper.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12609 on: July 3, 2021, 11:10:35 pm »
Sat in a hospital room at the moment.    My mum had multiple organ failure.   Only a matter of time now.    The drink finally took her.    Frankly I’m surprised she lasted this long.     Definitely going to stop drinking for good after watching this

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #12610 on: July 3, 2021, 11:13:30 pm »
Sat in a hospital room at the moment.    My mum had multiple organ failure.   Only a matter of time now.    The drink finally took her.    Frankly I’m surprised she lasted this long.     Definitely going to stop drinking for good after watching this
I’m so sorry mate….

Awful news…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12611 on: July 4, 2021, 01:27:51 am »
I’m so sorry mate….

Awful news…

Thanks mate.    Certainly opens your eyes the damage the drink does.    Kidneys have failed and they have stopped all treatment apart from pain relief.     She also has korsakoff  syndrome,   Since my dad died last year she has been on self destruct mode

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12612 on: July 4, 2021, 06:44:56 am »
So sorry to read this Spen. We're all here for you....

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12613 on: July 4, 2021, 08:22:40 am »

That's terrible news mate....

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12614 on: July 4, 2021, 10:01:06 am »
Thanks mate.    Certainly opens your eyes the damage the drink does.    Kidneys have failed and they have stopped all treatment apart from pain relief.     She also has korsakoff  syndrome,   Since my dad died last year she has been on self destruct mode

Sorry to hear this,our friend's widow has Korsakoff Syndrome.She was put in a nursing home six years' ago at the age of fifty four.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12615 on: July 4, 2021, 08:18:08 pm »
Really sorry to hear that Spen mate.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12616 on: July 7, 2021, 12:33:51 pm »

I'm sorry mate. Can't be easy. It is good that you are a good son and with her at the end. Those moments in life are very important.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12617 on: July 7, 2021, 12:43:22 pm »

Sorry to hear that mate.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12618 on: July 7, 2021, 12:51:38 pm »
Thanks everyone.   She passed away at 8am this morning.   Out of her pain and misery now

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12619 on: July 7, 2021, 12:57:53 pm »
Thanks everyone.   She passed away at 8am this morning.   Out of her pain and misery now

Thinking of you and the family Spen 💔

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12620 on: July 7, 2021, 01:19:29 pm »

Sorry for your loss Spen. RIP

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12621 on: July 7, 2021, 01:33:31 pm »
Sorry to hear that Spen.

RIP
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12622 on: July 7, 2021, 01:53:01 pm »
Oh that’s so very sad.

My sincerest commiserations Spen
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12623 on: July 7, 2021, 02:15:27 pm »
Condolences Spen - as you say, out of the pain now. YNWA. <3

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12624 on: July 7, 2021, 03:59:50 pm »
Sorry to hear that spen, stay strong for yourself mate.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12625 on: July 7, 2021, 06:22:18 pm »
Condolences Spen - as you say, out of the pain now. YNWA. <3
It was my conciliation when my brother died.
W

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12626 on: July 10, 2021, 07:11:42 am »
My sincere condolences, Spen.

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12627 on: July 11, 2021, 07:07:01 am »
Thank you everyone.    I’ll be organising the funeral tomorrow, then it will be time to move on.   Got my two daughters to think about

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12628 on: July 16, 2021, 03:27:25 am »
Thank you everyone.    Got my two daughters to think about

Thankfully my daughter was the reason I stayed strong. Tough days ahead and I hope only the best for you.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12629 on: August 18, 2021, 01:14:44 pm »
Well, it took him 7 and a half years after the last attempt (which broke the banisters) but this time he succeeded.

This morning, my father hanged himself after drinking three bottles of vodka and cutting his arms open.

He is out of his pain and his suffering.

As the eldest of his 3 offspring, it falls upon me to make arrangements.

The demon drink.

Carl, then Sean, then me da.

Don't know what else to say other than I've been there for some of youse over the years here - now it's my turn....

:'(

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12630 on: August 18, 2021, 01:31:20 pm »
Fucking hell, so sorry.
Reading that genuinely shocked me. I've seen some of your posts about your dad's battle with the drink.

As you say, you've helped loads of people over the years, so I'm sure there'll be loads of support, but if there's any way I can help please feel free to pm.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12631 on: August 18, 2021, 01:43:05 pm »
Bloody hell Jim, so sorry mate.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12632 on: August 18, 2021, 02:00:45 pm »
Well, it took him 7 and a half years after the last attempt (which broke the banisters) but this time he succeeded.

This morning, my father hanged himself after drinking three bottles of vodka and cutting his arms open.

The demon drink.

Don't know what else to say other than I've been there for some of youse over the years here - now it's my turn....

Fucking hell mate, so so sorry to hear that.

You know we'll all do what we can to give you whatever support you need.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #12633 on: August 18, 2021, 02:03:22 pm »
So sorry to hear Jim
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12634 on: August 18, 2021, 02:03:55 pm »
Always here if you need anything Jim.

Thinking of you and your extended family mate 💔

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12635 on: August 18, 2021, 02:10:08 pm »
So sorry for your loss Jim.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12636 on: August 18, 2021, 02:13:00 pm »

The demon drink.

Jim, I’m so so sorry, I really am.

This is exactly what my brother did.  It was such a shock when it happened, but also not a surprise.

My consolation was that he was no longer a burden to my mum and dad and that he no longer had to suffer as he so obviously did.

Jim, as hard as it may seem at this time, take time to look after yourself. There’s so much to do, to sort and as the eldest you will bear the burden.  But you need to make a point of looking after you.

So sad mate.
W

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #12637 on: August 18, 2021, 02:22:12 pm »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12638 on: August 18, 2021, 02:28:47 pm »
Deeply sorry, Jim :(
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #12639 on: August 18, 2021, 02:35:42 pm »
24*7. Simply don't know what to say as imagining you having to deal with the simple mechanics of having to deal with your father in that state and then having to arrange the funeral.

I have a feeling these days will be the easy days as you will be very busy. The tough times will be the days after when you are alone with your thoughts and everything spins around in your head.

I'm really sorry and only hope that you and your wider family find peace in the months ahead.