Author Topic: Anime Anyone?  (Read 79914 times)

Offline leinad

• Kopite
Re: Anime Anyone?
« Reply #520 on: May 2, 2021, 04:10:08 pm »
My daughters (17 & 13) have massively got into Anime, stemming from the youngest.

The Promised Neverland and, especially, Attack on Titan, are their absolute favourites.

What I find sad, though, is that the youngest won't talk to her friends about liking anime, as they would rip the piss out of her. I find that weird.

I thought Anime was a lot more mainstream nowadays, I would never of mentioned liking it when I was younger but it seems popular with the TikTok/Twitter crowd now

Offline red1977

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: May 7, 2021, 06:29:38 pm »
Started Baki on Netflix. Ridiculously hard overly muscled martial arts masters from death row kicking arse. Loved it so far although the lead character Baki hasn’t done a lot yet apart from court a girl. Anyone seen it?.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #522 on: May 8, 2021, 01:25:20 pm »
Started Baki on Netflix. Ridiculously hard overly muscled martial arts masters from death row kicking arse. Loved it so far although the lead character Baki hasn’t done a lot yet apart from court a girl. Anyone seen it?.

I've watched it up to where it has stopped. I thought it was fun, but it's not really near the top tier for me. Still, I wouldn't tell anyone not to watch it, particularly if you like bloodsports or fighting.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #523 on: May 10, 2021, 01:17:00 am »
Finished Attack on Titan up to season 4 and then read the remainder of the manga. Fucking hell.

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #524 on: May 10, 2021, 01:26:13 pm »
Finished Attack on Titan up to season 4 and then read the remainder of the manga. Fucking hell.
Haven't watched the 4th season yet and haven't spoiled meself with the Manga either. But have heard that the ending of the Manga is absolutely terrible. Subjective? Or is it more like GOT?
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #525 on: May 10, 2021, 01:54:33 pm »
Where are you guys watching AOT?  Netflix still only has the first season and Crunchy Roll does my head in.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: May 10, 2021, 04:59:45 pm »
Haven't watched the 4th season yet and haven't spoiled meself with the Manga either. But have heard that the ending of the Manga is absolutely terrible. Subjective? Or is it more like GOT?

I don't think it's terrible by any means but I did expect better. I feel that they rushed it in the end, and while I don't like series to go too long, there is a certain aspect that they could have expanded on. Ultimately I'm not against the biggest factor of the ending, but I think its fair to say that ita not up to the standard that the series has been leading up to it.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: May 10, 2021, 05:01:23 pm »
Where are you guys watching AOT?  Netflix still only has the first season and Crunchy Roll does my head in.

If you live in the US, Hulu has 4 seasons ( part 1 of season 4 obviously), that particular season is subbed only. The dubbed version you can find on Funimation.com

If you live elsewhere then VPN is your best bet if you dont like Crunchyroll

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #528 on: May 10, 2021, 08:13:37 pm »
Bear with me...

I used to love anime when younger.
Me and a couple of mates used to get as many on VHS as we could afford and watch between us - we camped out that little anime section of the HMV store (and they used to show some late nights on channel 4 and then later on sci-fi channel if some on here remember!)

Ones that I remember from that time, i'd say by mid/late 90s i stopped - Akira, Ghost in the shell, ninja scroll, streetfighter 2, fist of the north star, guyver, cyber city, legend of the 4 kings, vampire hunter D, 3x3 eyes, dragonball Z, maccross plus, wicked city

Seems to be a gazillion anime these days on netflix and the like, but I am not sure where to start. Wanted to see if there are any worth watching. I have a couple in mind from some limited research - Perfect Blue, Princess Mononoke, Paprika - but havent watched yet...
Pretty sure how I take anime will be different too compared to when I was a kid .....but any other suggestions?

Daughter toid me that Attack on Titan is unreral.
Y.N.W.A.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: May 10, 2021, 11:03:58 pm »
Daughter toid me that Attack on Titan is unreral.

She's not wrong

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: May 11, 2021, 08:20:35 am »
I don't think it's terrible by any means but I did expect better. I feel that they rushed it in the end, and while I don't like series to go too long, there is a certain aspect that they could have expanded on. Ultimately I'm not against the biggest factor of the ending, but I think its fair to say that ita not up to the standard that the series has been leading up to it.
The furore over the ending on Reddit and other forums has been enormous. Was already bracing myself to be disappointed. Your post gives me a little hope. This was one of the best shows out there, and it deserves a good ending. Perhaps they will make some changes in the anime and give us an ending that satisfies most.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #531 on: May 12, 2021, 08:55:26 am »
My daughters persuaded me to watch AoT. They're re-watching from the beginning with me. Done 10 episodes so far.

It's pretty good innit?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 10:23:51 am by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: May 12, 2021, 10:05:24 am »
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #533 on: May 12, 2021, 01:49:31 pm »
My daughters persuaded me to watch AoT. They're re-watching from the beginning with me. Done 10 episodes so far.

It's pretty good innit?

The subject matter and theme is what really makes it stand out, things that I can relate to, coming from a war torn part of the world.

It's really well done.

Online macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: May 13, 2021, 02:53:18 pm »
Trying to find a cinema that will be showing demon slayer mugen train. Anyone any ideas? Closer to Liverpool the better. Seen it coming out 26th May ish over here.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #535 on: May 14, 2021, 01:49:48 am »
Trying to find a cinema that will be showing demon slayer mugen train. Anyone any ideas? Closer to Liverpool the better. Seen it coming out 26th May ish over here.

Maybe the Fact when it reopens. It got leaked a few weeks ago if you want to watch it online.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #536 on: May 14, 2021, 04:25:04 am »

I'm firmly in the it was a bad ending camp. Up until about 123 it was amazing but after that I was so disappointed. Obviously I don't want to give much away in this thread but it reminded me of a worse ending of another popular anime.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: May 14, 2021, 04:51:03 am »
I'm firmly in the it was a bad ending camp. Up until about 123 it was amazing but after that I was so disappointed. Obviously I don't want to give much away in this thread but it reminded me of a worse ending of another popular anime.

I've seen worse endings to be honest but that's just me

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #538 on: May 14, 2021, 05:28:31 am »
I've seen worse endings to be honest but that's just me

Definitely seen worse but I think I expected so much from AOT it probably could never live up to my expectations.

Online macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: May 14, 2021, 07:03:44 am »
Maybe the Fact when it reopens. It got leaked a few weeks ago if you want to watch it online.

Purposely been avoiding it as still want to get a big screen for it. Says cineworld liverpool is showing it but when I go through the site I cant get up the liverpool one. Got over a week to sort something anyway. I'll find one

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #540 on: May 14, 2021, 07:47:53 am »

It's an excellent anime film. Probably one of the best ones that's a part of a series. Legitimately thrilling and well executed. Hope you enjoy it when it comes out.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: May 19, 2021, 01:17:45 pm »
The subject matter and theme is what really makes it stand out, things that I can relate to, coming from a war torn part of the world.

It's really well done.

Onto Season 2 of AoT and.... WTF?

Already forming my own theories, which are probably going to be very off the mark, but the series is very good.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: May 19, 2021, 01:33:34 pm »

Onto Season 2 of AoT and.... WTF?

Already forming my own theories, which are probably going to be very off the mark, but the series is very good.

It really is [it took me several tries to get past the first two or three episodes though, something was putting me off at first], and the ending aside, it's one of the best ones made.

Having said that, it's not something I can rewatch like I can with other series.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #543 on: May 19, 2021, 02:16:51 pm »
It really is [it took me several tries to get past the first two or three episodes though, something was putting me off at first], and the ending aside, it's one of the best ones made.

Having said that, it's not something I can rewatch like I can with other series.

My daughters (who read the manga) tell me they're producing more panels/chapters (?) to provide a more coherent ending/explain it. Is that true?

(and isn't the second half of Season 4 not released yet? if the ending is 'smoothed-out' in the manga, the anime ending should be similarly done?)

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: May 20, 2021, 11:23:31 am »
Kentaro Miura, the creator of one of the greatest Manga's ever, Beserk, had died aged 54.

Beserk has had a huge influence on so much of Japanese media - it essentially set the mold in Japan for how dark fantasy should be done

He never got to finish his opus, Beserk
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 11:35:47 am by Stockholm Syndrome »

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #545 on: May 20, 2021, 03:59:00 pm »
Kentaro Miura, the creator of one of the greatest Manga's ever, Beserk, had died aged 54.

Beserk has had a huge influence on so much of Japanese media - it essentially set the mold in Japan for how dark fantasy should be done

Probably how the Song of Ice and Fire will (not) end.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #546 on: May 20, 2021, 04:07:18 pm »

Devastating news to wake up to, I'd only just got into it this year.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #547 on: May 20, 2021, 04:39:02 pm »

My daughters (who read the manga) tell me they're producing more panels/chapters (?) to provide a more coherent ending/explain it. Is that true?

(and isn't the second half of Season 4 not released yet? if the ending is 'smoothed-out' in the manga, the anime ending should be similarly done?)

I am not sure about that first bit mate, I haven't followed it closely but if it is, I'd love to see what they do with it. The second half of Season 4 won't be released until this winter. So perhaps they can alternate some things by then.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #548 on: May 20, 2021, 07:07:46 pm »

Absolutely heartbreaking. RIP Miura.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #549 on: May 21, 2021, 09:58:07 am »
I'm going through Attack on Titan season 3 and man, this show is incredible. I've always held on to my belief that Death Note is the greatest anime (imo) but shit, Attack on Titan is giving it a run for its money.

Online macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: May 21, 2021, 06:07:08 pm »
I'm going through Attack on Titan season 3 and man, this show is incredible. I've always held on to my belief that Death Note is the greatest anime (imo) but shit, Attack on Titan is giving it a run for its money.

Death note for me was ruined from a certain obvious point for me. And for Attack on Titan I've seen the manga and know what the above is about in regards to the ending. One where I actually want an anime original ending. Still think there is better anime out there or at least on a par. One piece, gurren lagaan, cowboy bebop, demon slayer, hunter x hunter, my hero academia, one punch man, full metal alchemist brotherhood all more rewatchable for me.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:08:55 pm by macca007 »

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: May 22, 2021, 12:05:19 am »
All of the below are 9/10 or better for me. I might be missing a few.

Adventure/fighting TV shows

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (the original is also actually pretty good - so I wouldn't advise against that version)
Demon Slayer
Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing Ultimate
Monogatari (Exactly 100 episodes so cutting it a bit close for me in terms of how long it is, but it's wonderful)

Thanks for this!

I've never watched Hellsing or Monogatari. Hellsing is on Netflix, so that's easy. Monogatari I can find online (I spent 15 mins trying to find out what order to watch it in  ;D)
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #552 on: May 22, 2021, 12:55:35 am »
I've been working my way through Bleach, I watched the first arc a long time ago but then it fell into filler hell for months so I dropped it. It has its moments but it gets very repetitive and goes hard on the anime cliches. One of those shows where they make the main character way too good too early then spend the rest of the show coming up with excuses for why they can't fight properly until the last moment.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #553 on: May 22, 2021, 03:32:30 am »
I've been working my way through Bleach, I watched the first arc a long time ago but then it fell into filler hell for months so I dropped it. It has its moments but it gets very repetitive and goes hard on the anime cliches. One of those shows where they make the main character way too good too early then spend the rest of the show coming up with excuses for why they can't fight properly until the last moment.
The ending in the manga was pretty disappointing too

Online macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: May 22, 2021, 07:13:25 am »

Bleach is probably the worst for how good it starts to how bad it goes. The writer admits himself he just wanted to draw interesting characters and wasn't arsed about developing the plot. Started so well with the shinigami arc aswell.

Most of the longer shonen style anime have some sort of problems, except one piece for me. Naruto needs to be watched with a filler guide to skip the filler, fairytail reaches a point where it goes a bit shit but it's well down the line. Hunter x hunter has barely had any new material in ages but I'd still say to anyone watch them. Whereas Bleach I'd actively encourage to bin it off after the shinigami arc or not bother with it at all.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 10:46:47 pm by macca007 »

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: May 22, 2021, 02:11:45 pm »
Live action, but anime and manga fans may be interested.

A God Warrior appears in Tokyo (and presumably initiating the Seven Days of Fire)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5hd9w5
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #556 on: May 22, 2021, 05:50:02 pm »
Bleach is probably the worst for how good it starts to how bad it goes. The writer admits himself he just wanted to draw interesting characters and wasn't arsed about developing the plot. Started so well with the shinigami arc aswell.

Most of the longer shonen style anime have some sort of problems, except one piece for me. Naruto needs to watched with a filler guide to skip the filler, fairytail reaches a point where it goes a bit shit but it's well down the line. Hunter x hunter has barely had any new material in ages but I'd still say to anyone watch them. Whereas Bleach I'd actively encourage to bin it off after the shinigami arc ornot bother with it at all.

Yeah this is all fair, Bleach does still have decent moments later on but they're mostly around the shinigami themselves as they have much more interesting fighting techniques, the main character just becomes a repetitive blunt instrument.

I've heard good things about One Piece but I'm so late to it that it's a struggle to get into, I'd rather pick up something shorter.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #557 on: May 25, 2021, 02:55:32 pm »
Don’t even know if it’s anime or not but one of my students wrote a story claiming it was inspired by Death Note. Checked it out yesterday and was up until 1AM watching the first five episodes. Started out with the subbed version and tried the dubbed for the last two. Still not decided yet what I think is better.

Will absolutely watch season one. Never watched a second of anime my entire life.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:27:12 pm by dalarr »

Online macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #558 on: May 25, 2021, 06:13:23 pm »
Don’t even know if it’s anime or not but one of my students wrote a story claiming it was inspired by Death Wish. Checked it out yesterday and was up until 1AM watching the first five episodes. Started out with the subbed version and tried the dubbed for the last two. Still not decided yet what I think is better.

Will absolutely watch season one. Never watched a second of anime my entire life.

There's death note if that's what you mean? Not heard of death wish the anime.

Also always do subbed versions as the context stays far more true

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #559 on: May 25, 2021, 07:26:50 pm »
There's death note if that's what you mean? Not heard of death wish the anime.

Also always do subbed versions as the context stays far more true
Death Note..sorry.