Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 180901 times)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #2040 on: April 24, 2021, 12:04:22 am »
Really feel for my missus at the minute.

She’s a qualified Art teacher and has been in a school for 6 years, mainly as a technician but doing some cover here and there, she’s completed her BA and NQT years, she was just waiting for a job to come up in the school because she loves it there, loves the kids and they love her, she gets on incredibly well with all the teachers, really is like one massive family.

Job came up last year for a DT teacher as the fella doing it had a mental breakdown and had to leave suddenly, my missus stepped up, sorted the class out, sorted the courses out, worked with the department heads to get the kids back on track and was getting positive reviews left, right and centre from staff and students, she worked through the pandemic, stressed herself out trying to do the best for the kids, pretty much worked to exhaustion to give herself the best shot of getting the job permanently.

Everyone kept saying to her that it was a technicality and she’d have to get the job for the work she’d put in, she practically turned everything around and got the department back on track singlehandedly.

The job came up the other week, so my missus sits there until early hours, making sure everything is perfect on her application, prepares her portfolio ect and just wanted the chance to have an interview to show how much she wanted the job full time.

Headteacher didn’t even offer her an interview, completely overlooked her and hasn’t spoke to her since the job went up, he’s made passing comments to other staff members about how my partner will “have more time to give other staff a hand” as he’s expecting her to drop back down to a technician.

My missus has killed herself for that role, and to not be given the chance has destroyed her, spent 3 hours crying her eyes out and feel completely used by the headteacher.

To make matters worse, he’s given the job to someone whose not only still in their NQT year, but only has 3 months total of teaching experience, and is throwing them into the role knowing full well that the school doesn’t have the facilities for what he wants them to teach.

He’s apparently mentioned that my missus didn’t get the interview because on her teaching qualification, it only says she’s an Art teacher, even though the course she completed was DT with Art.

Feel so bad for her and just needed to get this off my chest. Absoloutely fuming over it and I know all the staff in the school are aswell.
How to you tell someone they’re an amazing teacher and person when they wasn’t even given a chance to interview for the role they’d absoloutely nailed and had gone above and beyond to earn a chance?

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2041 on: April 24, 2021, 01:26:39 am »
Presumably the cheaper option if they’re NQT? Heard of that happening loads.

My missus quit at end of Dec so she can do her phd full time and she couldn’t be happier. She’s still good mates with a handful of teachers inc in her old dept and they’ve been saying it’s a mess. She ended up getting a phone call today asking if she can sub for the next two weeks (at double the pay she was on full time) as the one who replaced her has gone off stress and one other in her dept is too. That’s the second call she’s had since Jan asking her!

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2042 on: April 24, 2021, 01:37:38 am »
Presumably the cheaper option if they’re NQT? Heard of that happening loads.

My missus quit at end of Dec so she can do her phd full time and she couldn’t be happier. She’s still good mates with a handful of teachers inc in her old dept and they’ve been saying it’s a mess. She ended up getting a phone call today asking if she can sub for the next two weeks (at double the pay she was on full time) as the one who replaced her has gone off stress and one other in her dept is too. That’s the second call she’s had since Jan asking her!

Apparently they’ve only been given the job because it says Art & DT on their qualification.

They did the same course as my missus but something to do with having to give my missus a bursary if they put DT on her qualification compared to not having to if they only put Art. Happened to a few of her mates around the same time aswell.

So she hasn’t got an interview purely on a technicality.

She wasn’t expecting to be given the job, she’s not that type of person, all she wanted was the chance to atleast interview for it.

The head has done it to another teacher aswell, it’s down to some woman he knows who used to work for OFSTED (since retired,) whose been in his ear saying the school will only get outstanding in the reports if he hires teachers with the correct qualification on the PGCE or whatever it’s called, instead of whatever person is best for the school and for the kids. So he’s hiring to improve the school rating without actually looking at if the candidates are the best for the job.
The other teacher he’s done it to, his excuse to her was that she didn’t use the keywords he was looking for, in the order he expected! Even though her interview was incredibly strong. The fella is a joke, caring more about ratings than the actual education of the kids.

The kids I feel for aswell, they’re not going to be rushed through a course that they don’t have the facilities for and also one that no one in the department has even planned for because they already had a plan in place for next term going into next year.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:40:14 am by J-Mc- »

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2043 on: April 24, 2021, 12:01:28 pm »
Sometimes the HT makes absolutely baffling decisions in many schools. Mostly it's due to finance or complete ignorance.

The amount of schools with heavy staff turnovers is quite astonishing and frankly a disgrace. If Ofsted ever made it a priority to look into staff turnover as part of inspection things would change dramatically. All of a sudden Senior Leadership Teams would think twice about their behaviour.

Thankfully I'm in a school with mainly decent SLT, makes an unbelievable difference.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2044 on: May 9, 2021, 08:51:27 pm »
18 hours marking these fucking exam board assessments this weekend.  Bank holiday Monday too.

It’s a sham, it means nothing …

Wasting my fucking life
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2045 on: May 22, 2021, 10:08:44 pm »
Having to apply for my own (pastoral) job really makes me feel valued

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2046 on: May 22, 2021, 10:26:00 pm »
Having to apply for my own (pastoral) job really makes me feel valued
what?

How’s that possible?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2047 on: May 23, 2021, 12:35:45 am »
I assume you were temp on it and then making you apply with the rest of the rabble.

Senior leaders do like to make staff feel valued, that’s for sure.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2048 on: May 23, 2021, 07:41:53 am »
Exactly that Craig. Done it for two years, on a lower TLR than the other pastoral leaders. And now just dumped back in the pile with the rest. Half tempted just to watch someone else try and do it but I love the job so now doubt will jump through the hoops

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2049 on: May 23, 2021, 06:46:10 pm »
That’s disgusting …

Treat people like shit… why would they stay?
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2050 on: May 23, 2021, 07:48:00 pm »
Rationale is that more people may have applied for the temporary role on the higher TLR at the time so have to advertise it now

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2051 on: May 24, 2021, 07:12:45 pm »
18 hours marking these fucking exam board assessments this weekend.  Bank holiday Monday too.

It’s a sham, it means nothing …

Wasting my fucking life

My HOD is ridiculously stressed with it all. Absolutely disgusting how the government have thrown teachers under the bus yet again and nothing will be said or done about it.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2052 on: May 24, 2021, 07:16:32 pm »
My HOD is ridiculously stressed with it all. Absolutely disgusting how the government have thrown teachers under the bus yet again and nothing will be said or done about it.
It’s all to save Williamson’s neck… the thick useless twat

We’ve had a really clear and coherent plan for some time and I think that’s helped staff mange the workload (I wrote the plan so I’m blowing my own trumpet here ;D)
W

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #2053 on: May 28, 2021, 08:13:01 am »
wife is a teacher and was yesterday accused of "assault".

First she heard of it was the parent ringing in.

At least the parent was understanding.

The student in question was not for the first time, sitting down the back of the class with his earphones in playing music.

Blatantly ignores my wife and doesnt do a tap, she was trying to explain something and he wouldnt listen. She tapped on his earphone and tapped his hand and went "excuse me". Apparently thats assault!

I really wouldnt be able to do that job, I wouldnt have the patience
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2054 on: June 5, 2021, 03:31:08 pm »
Anyone got any tips for organising school trips? Never done it before but I've had to organise an end of year trip for Year 9s in a few weeks. They're going to an adventure place where they will go on inflatable obstacle courses in the water.

I'm taking 8 staff with me, coaches are booked and all the risk assessments/documentation is done. Got all the consent forms back from parents pretty much as well.

I'm looking for tips to make the day go smoothly- we're taking 90 kids. My concern is although it's meant to be a treat for a shit year in general, some of them will inevitably push things and start dicking about.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2055 on: August 10, 2021, 08:16:13 pm »
Sorry to interrupt your summer hols but I need some help and advice on the spec for a laptop that my granddaughter needs when she starts highschool next month.

Apparently she'll need one for her homework but she didn't know whether she needs to print her work out or if her teachers can access it once it's saved.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2056 on: August 10, 2021, 08:29:41 pm »
Sorry to interrupt your summer hols but I need some help and advice on the spec for a laptop that my granddaughter needs when she starts highschool next month.

Apparently she'll need one for her homework but she didn't know whether she needs to print her work out or if her teachers can access it once it's saved.
Most schools either use the office or google suite of software.

Google is free, if it’s Office she will get an account via the school.  You really don’t need anything terribly fancy, just good enough to run word/PowerPoint or equivalent
W

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2057 on: August 10, 2021, 08:52:01 pm »
Most schools either use the office or google suite of software.

Google is free, if it’s Office she will get an account via the school.  You really don’t need anything terribly fancy, just good enough to run word/PowerPoint or equivalent

Thank you 👍

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2058 on: August 10, 2021, 09:13:04 pm »
I'm a bit dumb at tech stuff how do I know what's good enough?

How much storage will she need?

Does Office automatically have Word and PowerPoint or do I need a certain Windows package?

Is a Notebook good enough or would you pay more and go for a cheap laptop instead?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2059 on: August 10, 2021, 09:18:13 pm »
I'm a bit dumb at tech stuff how do I know what's good enough?

How much storage will she need?

Does Office automatically have Word and PowerPoint or do I need a certain Windows package?

Is a Notebook good enough or would you pay more and go for a cheap laptop instead?
Google and office have online storage, so I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

I’d go for a cheap laptop myself. 

If the schools uses office they will get free versions of word and PowerPoint that they can download.  The same with google.

Might be worth finding out what the school uses.
W

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2060 on: August 10, 2021, 09:21:38 pm »
Google and office have online storage, so I wouldn’t worry about that too much.

I’d go for a cheap laptop myself. 

If the schools uses office they will get free versions of word and PowerPoint that they can download.  The same with google.

Might be worth finding out what the school uses.

How would I find that out?  Will it be in their prospectus or on their website or would I need to contact them?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2061 on: August 10, 2021, 09:22:04 pm »
How would I find that out?  Will it be in their prospectus or on their website or would I need to contact them?
Probably on their website?  Could ring up and ask.
W

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2062 on: August 10, 2021, 09:36:35 pm »
Probably on their website?  Could ring up and ask.

I've just checked the website but can't see anything.  I'll ask my daughter see if she knows and if not I'll email them.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2063 on: September 8, 2021, 09:14:46 pm »
How would it affect you all if there was a 2-week half term break in October?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2064 on: September 8, 2021, 09:19:19 pm »
School across the road has one already.

It’s a really long term so there is logic to it.  But it’s a fairly grim time of year to have a holiday.

Anyway, there’s a rumour that Williamson is getting sacked…. But I’ve been duped like this before
W

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2065 on: September 8, 2021, 10:28:21 pm »
Would much prefer a few long weekends over one 2 week break.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2066 on: September 9, 2021, 08:05:48 pm »
How would it affect you all if there was a 2-week half term break in October?

We already get a 2 week break so it would be annoying having everywhere packed with kids in the 1 week most are still in!

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2067 on: September 9, 2021, 08:06:33 pm »
Frank Spencer is still in a job.

FFS
W

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2068 on: November 22, 2021, 03:58:40 pm »
My wifes school made what I think is a brilliant decision around short school weeks..

This week is Thanksgiving week so only two days of school before the rest of the week off

the district decided to go virtual for monday and Tuesday. This has meant teachers could leave for holiday destinations last Friday and just do virtual school Monday and Tuesday mornings.

I thought that was a brilliant idea for any short weeks before school holidays to just make use of technology and make the teachers lives easier

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2069 on: December 11, 2021, 12:50:12 am »
Not long to go until the end of a long half-term. We’re nearly there everyone  :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 12:52:01 am by androulla »

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2070 on: January 1, 2022, 08:16:09 pm »
So, I’m back on Tuesday.

Shall we start a spread bet on how long before I get Omicron?

1-2 weeks
2-3 weeks
3-4 weeks.

I’m going for 2-3
W

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2071 on: January 1, 2022, 08:34:36 pm »
If you manage to get to Tuesday without getting it, it'll be 1-2 weeks mate. It's raging everywhere and I feel for anyone on front line services in every industry.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2072 on: January 1, 2022, 08:45:47 pm »
We're back Thursday. No kids until the following Monday. It's going to be a shit show.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2073 on: January 1, 2022, 08:48:56 pm »
We are back Wednesday, 3 year (7,8 and 11) groups in. My year group (10) isn’t in until Thursday

Back to mass testing though

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2074 on: January 1, 2022, 09:00:04 pm »
We are back Wednesday, 3 year (7,8 and 11) groups in. My year group (10) isn’t in until Thursday

Back to mass testing though
I’m sure we will be over run by retired colleagues helping out :lmao

Mass testing on Tuesday, for 11,12,13 they start back on Wednesday as we test the rest.  Some parents don’t let their kids get tested, half aren’t vaccinated

If you manage to get to Tuesday without getting it, it'll be 1-2 weeks mate. It's raging everywhere and I feel for anyone on front line services in every industry.
I’ve been very careful to minimise contact as much as I can.  Should be ok until the kids get back.

Just booked a trip to the US in the summer though, that’s put the mockers on everything.  Sorry world!
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2075 on: January 1, 2022, 09:07:40 pm »
Are the government still saying to test all students when they come back then? My school haven't mentioned any updates yet. We're back on Tuesday for an inset. Kids back Wednesday.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2076 on: January 1, 2022, 09:37:42 pm »
Are the government still saying to test all students when they come back then? My school haven't mentioned any updates yet. We're back on Tuesday for an inset. Kids back Wednesday.
Yes!

We’re testing on one day, the kids then go home and come back the next if they are clear
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2077 on: January 1, 2022, 09:52:11 pm »
Yes!

We’re testing on one day, the kids then go home and come back the next if they are clear

It's going to be fun trying to provide work for the hundreds of kids off for a week whilst trying to teach and provide pastoral support for those students in school.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2078 on: January 1, 2022, 10:09:35 pm »
It's going to be fun trying to provide work for the hundreds of kids off for a week whilst trying to teach and provide pastoral support for those students in school.
Impossible  really…

But, as if by magic, they’ve introduced masks in classrooms.  Nothing like advanced notice eh?
W

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2079 on: January 3, 2022, 02:43:52 pm »
...and of course nothing at all for primary schools.

Zahawi did anounce 7000 air purifiers but there are ~16,800 state funded primary schools in the UK and ~4,660,000 children. So an average primary school size is 278 children  and if we assume for shits and giggles that the average class size is 30, that would be an average of 9 classrooms per school. Under this assumption then you would need more than 155,000 air purifiers to provide one unit per class (larger rooms or those with particular geometries might need more than one unit).

In other words it is a meaningless gesture to address a problem that has been around for 2 years now.

Good luck to all the returning teachers who are (still) in the frontline.