Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 280740 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1840 on: March 24, 2021, 02:16:40 pm »
Thanks for recommending this, watched episodes 1 and 2 tonight while she had her soap opera shite on. As someone who used to do karate and kendo this is right up my street.
No worries, I'm hoping they come out with a second season charting the Tokugawa shogunate and the biggest events leading up to the Meiji Restoration.

Watched a documentary about Rush (the band) last night, also on Netflix. I'd often heard people say Neil Peart is the greatest drummer of all time - and whilst I don't know enough about drumming to dispute this, he certainly looks a phenomenon in his prime to my untrained eye. Also mad to see the bassist singing, laying the bassline and playing the synths at the same time.

Was good to see their lasting and enduring mark on the music industry and how they influenced so many bands I love - Billy Corgan is on their, effusive in his praise for Rush. Lots of cool cameos from influential musicians of a more recent era talking about the band. Also some horrendous tragedies that afflicted Neil Peart. Overall a good watch for anyone who's into musical history or like me didn't realise the cultural footprint of the band. They still fill stadiums globally which is mad.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1841 on: March 24, 2021, 02:42:37 pm »
No worries, I'm hoping they come out with a second season charting the Tokugawa shogunate and the biggest events leading up to the Meiji Restoration.

Watched a documentary about Rush (the band) last night, also on Netflix. I'd often heard people say Neil Peart is the greatest drummer of all time - and whilst I don't know enough about drumming to dispute this, he certainly looks a phenomenon in his prime to my untrained eye. Also mad to see the bassist singing, laying the bassline and playing the synths at the same time.

Was good to see their lasting and enduring mark on the music industry and how they influenced so many bands I love - Billy Corgan is on their, effusive in his praise for Rush. Lots of cool cameos from influential musicians of a more recent era talking about the band. Also some horrendous tragedies that afflicted Neil Peart. Overall a good watch for anyone who's into musical history or like me didn't realise the cultural footprint of the band. They still fill stadiums globally which is mad.

Never really knew just how brutal the Samurai were, they were as bad as an Army through history for killing for the sake of it.

Been looking at decorative Katana's, seen a few nice ones, my lad wants me to get one that is suitable for cutting bamboo, so he can learn how to use it.

I utterly despise the music of Rush. I cannot stand the singing and to me, it just sounds like musicians competing with each other, rather than a coherent band. Planet Rock play them a lot and I switch off/get Alexa to play something else.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1842 on: March 24, 2021, 04:16:35 pm »

Because they are/were the best  ;).  Peart isn't a drummer per se, he's a musician who plays drums.  He actually got better with age and went back to the drawing board regards playing with Freddie Gruber to change the way he played (and this is when he was widely regarded as the best in world at the time).  No one is going replace him, maybe Lee & Lifeson will team up with another drummer for a one off retrospective on Neil's life - who knows.

I really am going to miss them touring, it was a privilege to see them live a number of times.  Fanatical fanbase.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1843 on: March 24, 2021, 04:19:47 pm »
Never really knew just how brutal the Samurai were, they were as bad as an Army through history for killing for the sake of it.

Been looking at decorative Katana's, seen a few nice ones, my lad wants me to get one that is suitable for cutting bamboo, so he can learn how to use it.

I utterly despise the music of Rush. I cannot stand the singing and to me, it just sounds like musicians competing with each other, rather than a coherent band. Planet Rock play them a lot and I switch off/get Alexa to play something else.
Good Katana's and Japanese steelwork is pricey! Yeah some of the killing to 'send a message' was beyond brutal. The genocide of the mountain folk (I forget their exact name) and the vendetta against the Buddhists was absolutely nuts - demonic in it's persistence.

I can't say I particularly like their music (beyond one or two) I just like musical history and learning more about bands that were before my time or I haven't really listened to much of growing up. Prog, metal etc - genres their music is infused with, are just not my bag generally but it was an informative doc. Shame Netflix don't have more of that sort of thing.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1844 on: March 24, 2021, 04:21:34 pm »

Used to think you were alright Rob,  :( :D

Geddy's voice is very marmite Ill give you that but it wouldn't be Rush if it wasn't for that vocal. But for musicianship they are second to none.  Also they weren't afraid change musical direction (which included adding synths back in 1980). 

The only song they ever play on radio is Spirit of Radio so i'll be surprised if you heard more than 2 of theirs on Planet Rock (maybe Closer to the Heart and New World Man could rarely get an airing)

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1845 on: March 24, 2021, 04:31:08 pm »
Watched the Netflix one called Operation Varsity blues about rich folk paying for their kids to get into top universities

There was nobody i really felt any empathy for in the whole thing...but an interesting story
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1846 on: March 24, 2021, 04:32:15 pm »
Good Katana's and Japanese steelwork is pricey! Yeah some of the killing to 'send a message' was beyond brutal. The genocide of the mountain folk (I forget their exact name) and the vendetta against the Buddhists was absolutely nuts - demonic in it's persistence.

I can't say I particularly like their music (beyond one or two) I just like musical history and learning more about bands that were before my time or I haven't really listened to much of growing up. Prog, metal etc - genres their music is infused with, are just not my bag generally but it was an informative doc. Shame Netflix don't have more of that sort of thing.

Yeah, it won't be anything pricey, few hundred quid at most, certainly not a few grand ;D

I did watch a documentary on Sky Arts on Saturday about the Go-Go's, that was really enjoyable. Mad to see Belinda Carlisle peforming to a bunch of punks.

Used to think you were alright Rob,  :( :D

Geddy's voice is very marmite Ill give you that but it wouldn't be Rush if it wasn't for that vocal. But for musicianship they are second to none.  Also they weren't afraid change musical direction (which included adding synths back in 1980). 

The only song they ever play on radio is Spirit of Radio so i'll be surprised if you heard more than 2 of theirs on Planet Rock (maybe Closer to the Heart and New World Man could rarely get an airing)

Tom Sawyer gets an airing too, but with Murrays request show of a weekend and the rock block, some other stuff gets an airing too.

Maybe its just the songs I hear, but it always sounds like they are having a I can do the best solo competition rather than playing a song.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1847 on: March 24, 2021, 04:56:28 pm »
Tom Sawyer I think is literally the only Rush song I'd heard prior to watching the doc. I can absolutely appreciate their musicianship even if the actual music isn't massively to my tastes. I respect they weren't wedded to one style, and oddly I didn't hate some of the synth driven stuff they were pushing out in the 80s, influenced heavily by English new wave such as The The and Ultravox. It shows they had massive musical depth to call upon given that they were so genre spanning - I'll always respect a band trying something new (Biffy Clyro, The Cure, The 1975) as long as it's not done in the name of completely selling out (Maroon 5 - apologies if the references are seen as shit by anyone, I've had some form of interest in each at one time or another).

Which is odd because all I did at uni was fumble with a guitar and listen to music, anything I could from any era, just trying new things and genres. Maybe the inaccessibility of most prog is what put me off Rush - but I do like bands like Metallica and Smashing Pumpkins that profess to have been heavily influenced by the music of Rush.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 05:01:02 pm by Drinks Sangria »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1848 on: March 24, 2021, 05:56:41 pm »
Tom Sawyer I think is literally the only Rush song I'd heard prior to watching the doc. I can absolutely appreciate their musicianship even if the actual music isn't massively to my tastes. I respect they weren't wedded to one style, and oddly I didn't hate some of the synth driven stuff they were pushing out in the 80s, influenced heavily by English new wave such as The The and Ultravox. It shows they had massive musical depth to call upon given that they were so genre spanning - I'll always respect a band trying something new (Biffy Clyro, The Cure, The 1975) as long as it's not done in the name of completely selling out (Maroon 5 - apologies if the references are seen as shit by anyone, I've had some form of interest in each at one time or another).

Which is odd because all I did at uni was fumble with a guitar and listen to music, anything I could from any era, just trying new things and genres. Maybe the inaccessibility of most prog is what put me off Rush - but I do like bands like Metallica and Smashing Pumpkins that profess to have been heavily influenced by the music of Rush.

I'm going to watch that doc, you've got me interested in it now.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1849 on: March 24, 2021, 08:09:42 pm »
Watched the Netflix one called Operation Varsity blues about rich folk paying for their kids to get into top universities

There was nobody i really felt any empathy for in the whole thing...but an interesting story

That was decent as well. Be interesting to see how long he gets when all charges and other persons have been prosecuted.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #1850 on: March 24, 2021, 10:32:02 pm »
Thanks for recommending this, watched episodes 1 and 2 tonight while she had her soap opera shite on. As someone who used to do karate and kendo this is right up my street.

Following these recommendations I've started watching it. Very gruesome (makes Game of Thrones look tame)  but the way Hideyoshi tried to pacify the daimyo by launching an invasion of China via Korea was an object lesson in hubris.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1851 on: March 25, 2021, 11:30:33 am »
I'm going to watch that doc, you've got me interested in it now.
Let me know what you think.

Following these recommendations I've started watching it. Very gruesome (makes Game of Thrones look tame)  but the way Hideyoshi tried to pacify the daimyo by launching an invasion of China via Korea was an object lesson in hubris.
Absolutely! It also asks the question; once war is over, what do those who know only war do? Seemingly along with the land and riches they thought an invasion of Korea and China would bring, why didn't he look to cement his legacy as the person who truly bought peace to Japan? Odd. Now Tokugawa Ieyasu seems to be the true unifier - he quelled a few uprisings but basically had a peaceful reign until his death and beyond.

Did Hideyoshi truly think he had the resources and army size to take on China? madness.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1852 on: March 26, 2021, 03:45:34 pm »
Heartily recommend 'Assassins' on Sky Docs. Fascinating story of the killing of Kim Jong Nam by two supposed NK assassins. Goes into some mad territory.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 09:48:24 pm by Stevie-A »

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #1853 on: March 29, 2021, 04:46:48 pm »
Probably Been Posted Previously but Requiem for the American Dream is outstanding

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/hZnuc-Fv_Tc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/hZnuc-Fv_Tc</a>
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1854 on: March 29, 2021, 07:49:06 pm »
Just watched the Aaron Hernandez one on Netflix over the last couple of nights. Really good watch and as I knew nothing of him or the cases the ending was quite a shock

Finally got around to watching this last few days.  Absolutely mad story.

What a waste.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1855 on: March 30, 2021, 11:00:56 am »
Heartily recommend 'Assassins' on Sky Docs. Fascinating story of the killing of Kim Jong Nam by two supposed NK assassins. Goes into some mad territory.

Was excellent; all very political

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #1856 on: April 1, 2021, 11:21:02 am »
just watched closing gambit on freeview channel pbs

it's all about a chess match between korchnoi and karpov - and before you all yawn thinking chess is boring played by boring old farts then you know no-thing my friend

the documentary includes espionage, death threats, psychological mind games, the kgb, defecting 'traitors', political insults over the chess table, yoghurt coding allegations (yes, i did day yoghurt coding allegations) plus much more

the match was held in the philippines and the marcos regime who sponsored the match offered the winner around $340,000 - in the uk at the time the champion at wimbledon was getting paid Ł19,000

it was a joy to watch

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1857 on: April 1, 2021, 03:35:05 pm »
Watching the Nature Boy documentary on Ric Flair, it's on Starz on Disney Plus if anyone is interested in that. Interesting psychological profile and overall bit of a sad story from one of the greatest ever in the wrestling business. Certainly the greatest mic worker of all time.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1858 on: April 26, 2021, 03:33:40 pm »
Been on a bit of a music history kick of late - watched Supersonic about Oasis recently.

I can't say I've ever been a fan of their music - one or two alright tunes but largely derivative and I don't like Liam's voice - but this was watchable enough. I also think it's difficult to judge a band when you weren't around at the time of their height of popularity and peak of their powers - I was a toddler still when Knebworth happened. Nothing in their music resonates for me though - again this might be an era thing as I've softer spots for bands that musically are pretty poor even compared to my rating of Oasis.

Interesting to see their background though and some of the band's early days. What a pair of pricks the Gallaghers are though. Unbearable personalities with huge chips on their shoulders. Seems like Noel had a worse upbringing in the same household though, which I suppose explains somewhat how he is now.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #1859 on: April 26, 2021, 05:25:23 pm »
Been on a bit of a music history kick of late - watched Supersonic about Oasis recently.

I can't say I've ever been a fan of their music - one or two alright tunes but largely derivative and I don't like Liam's voice - but this was watchable enough. I also think it's difficult to judge a band when you weren't around at the time of their height of popularity and peak of their powers - I was a toddler still when Knebworth happened. Nothing in their music resonates for me though - again this might be an era thing as I've softer spots for bands that musically are pretty poor even compared to my rating of Oasis.

Interesting to see their background though and some of the band's early days. What a pair of pricks the Gallaghers are though. Unbearable personalities with huge chips on their shoulders. Seems like Noel had a worse upbringing in the same household though, which I suppose explains somewhat how he is now.

yeh sometimes you need to separate the person/s from the music

oasis - some awesome songs and an awesome song-writer in noel and one of the best ever 'rock' voices (at his peak) in liam

both absolute twats though - then and now

they're just the same bedroom weed-smoking dope heads - just in a more expensive bedroom smoking more expensive weed

money is usually anathema to 'social' songwriting

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1860 on: April 27, 2021, 11:29:00 am »
yeh sometimes you need to separate the person/s from the music

oasis - some awesome songs and an awesome song-writer in noel and one of the best ever 'rock' voices (at his peak) in liam

both absolute twats though - then and now

they're just the same bedroom weed-smoking dope heads - just in a more expensive bedroom smoking more expensive weed

money is usually anathema to 'social' songwriting
Agreed - it's like Morrissey now is an unbearable bell end, but I love The Smiths and they produced some incredible songs, regardless of my personal feelings on him as an individual.

I do think you also appreciate bands more if you were old enough to remember their rise or to have even seen them live, or at least fully appreciate the social climate that they were embedded in. I can't say I was with Oasis, or any bands before the late 90s.

On the musical documentaries theme - watching the Netflix Taylor Swift doc. Seems a bit of a propaganda piece, but she's talented and can write a tune. Don't like her music by and large, but there's some alright songs in her back catalogue and she's more versatile than a lot of pop artists.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1861 on: May 10, 2021, 10:12:11 pm »
Keith Haring, Street Art Boy.

On iPlayer - Its fantastic. Really good insights into the mad NYC art/gay/nightclub scene of the early 80s, and Harings spectacular rise in popularity.

it's funny, inspiring and touching. Lots of interviews with his very closest friends, and moving contributions from his somewhat bewildered small town parents.

Highly recommended.

The art is fucking boss too.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1862 on: May 11, 2021, 07:17:16 am »
Watched 'When We Were Kings' again on iPlayer. Hadn't seen it for a few years. Simply the best sports documentary ever made.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1863 on: May 11, 2021, 11:59:22 pm »
Watched 'When We Were Kings' again on iPlayer. Hadn't seen it for a few years. Simply the best sports documentary ever made.

Agreed.

The book by David Remnick is also a thing of beauty.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1864 on: May 12, 2021, 07:08:33 am »
Watching the Nature Boy documentary on Ric Flair, it's on Starz on Disney Plus if anyone is interested in that. Interesting psychological profile and overall bit of a sad story from one of the greatest ever in the wrestling business. Certainly the greatest mic worker of all time.
I’m not into Wrestling but remembered this guy from my childhood and decided to give it a watch. Very good and very sad. The world of show business and wrestling is absolutely bonkers. You wonder if not all of them are alcoholics or on some sort of drugs. That lifestyle of being on tour constantly cannot be healthy for mind and body.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1865 on: May 12, 2021, 11:44:42 am »
I’m not into Wrestling but remembered this guy from my childhood and decided to give it a watch. Very good and very sad. The world of show business and wrestling is absolutely bonkers. You wonder if not all of them are alcoholics or on some sort of drugs. That lifestyle of being on tour constantly cannot be healthy for mind and body.
Yeah there's a lot of really sad, really tragic stories. I don't really follow wrestling these days but was madly into the attitude era as a kid.

You get the feeling that the film The Wrestler is an amalgam of the stories of a lot of these guys. Jake the Snake Roberts being the one that's often referred to as being the inspiration - you can see a bit of the story in Flair though. It's nearly unrelentingly grim but what a film.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #1866 on: May 12, 2021, 09:31:02 pm »
Earth at Night In Colour is superb on Apple TV+

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #1867 on: May 13, 2021, 11:54:10 am »

Thanks for this. I too was a big fan of wrestling in the Attitude era and although Ric Flair was years before that time, I love to watch documentaries that give you an insight into the ‘art’ of wrestling and hear about their lives outside of the ring. He has experienced a lot, and often not the best of times but glad that he’s still with us.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1868 on: May 25, 2021, 09:46:10 pm »
Not documentaries per say but that Hezakya news has been uploading loads of new stuff on his youtube channel. Some great stuff. Old news reports on events in america we'd all be familiar with. Old new york all that stuff. It's great

https://www.youtube.com/user/RicardoGrice/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1869 on: May 26, 2021, 06:16:18 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7QUSrefGO34" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7QUSrefGO34</a>

Episode 1/8. John with Yoko, George with Ravi and Ringo doing Ringo :-)
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #1870 on: May 26, 2021, 07:55:19 pm »

Then you would love the storyville doc about the fights between joe louis and max schmeling.  I've just looked it up and it's called 'the fight'.  Well worth looking for.  Unfortunately I don't have the info to point you in the right direction.
dios esta buena

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1871 on: May 26, 2021, 10:00:53 pm »
Then you would love the storyville doc about the fights between joe louis and max schmeling.  I've just looked it up and it's called 'the fight'.  Well worth looking for.  Unfortunately I don't have the info to point you in the right direction.
Thanks so much, will deffo check that out. Just watched 42 to 1, the story of the Tyson v Douglas fight. Fascinating stuff. Douglas comes across as extremely likable.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1872 on: May 31, 2021, 04:17:36 pm »
Killing Escobar

Failed mission to kill Pablo in 89. Really decent watch and home footage at a Cali residence.

BBc iplayer

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1873 on: June 6, 2021, 10:40:37 am »
I went back a few years into this thread and picked a documentary to watch - ended up with 1980 New Mexico Prison Riots, a BBC doc and holy shit... that was brutal!

Has anything more resent been created surrounding it does anyone know?

The quality was quite poor, and had to watch it on YouTube but an incredible story.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1874 on: June 6, 2021, 03:28:57 pm »
The Sons of Sam on Netflix was terrible. Don't waste your time.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1875 on: June 6, 2021, 06:49:06 pm »
The Sons of Sam on Netflix was terrible. Don't waste your time.
I thought it was alright. Think there was a couple shooters. This special report from the time is good viewing

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ocJI6Qowhs8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ocJI6Qowhs8</a>

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1876 on: June 6, 2021, 07:19:22 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7QUSrefGO34" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7QUSrefGO34</a>

Episode 1/8. John with Yoko, George with Ravi and Ringo doing Ringo :-)

Been watching this, up to episode 5 and I think its fantastic.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1877 on: June 6, 2021, 08:49:08 pm »
I thought it was alright. Think there was a couple shooters. This special report from the time is good viewing
Might give that a watch later.

It was far too long and ended up being a lot of conspiracy theories from a guy who had been consumed by the case. Not saying the NYPD wouldn't try and pin a number of killings on one person but even though there may have been another shooter I never really thought it was anybody else but Berkowitz.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1878 on: June 7, 2021, 07:08:45 pm »
https://www.rte.ie/radio1/doconone/2020/0702/1151050-we-say-you-have-to-go/

We say you have to go. Documentary on radio about Dublins Heroin epedemic and how a community fought back.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1879 on: June 7, 2021, 07:48:22 pm »
Yeah as an ethnic Chinese this was one of the more shocking things I've ever seen.

Mostly because these guys are still very much venerated within Indonesian society, and at the time the movie was made, had ties to Indonesian Cabinet members.

I was probably a bit more naive about geopolitics back when I saw it in 2013.

Wasn't there another pogrom in the 1990s?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258