Author Topic: CL: Liverpool 1 v Napoli 0 - 33' Mo  (Read 45231 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
CL: Liverpool 1 v Napoli 0 - 33' Mo
« on: December 11, 2018, 06:28:43 pm »
Liverpool vs Napoli

Tuesday 11th December 2018
Kick-off: 20:00 (GMT)
Venue: Anfield, Liverpool
Referee: Damir Skomina

Zoff, Ferrara, Cavani, Hamsik.. Maradona?

Napoli, despite their lack of big numbers in terms of Serie-A titles or European trophies, is an illustrious club boasting of some spectacular names over the years - you only need to look up to know the magnitude of the names associated with this club. They're behind a number of other domestic clubs in overall popularity, prestige, history and achievements such as Juventus, A. C. Milan and Internazionale, yet they're one of the biggest clubs in Italy & have recently mounted an unsuccessful title challenge against a dominant Juventus side.

They have also hired a big name manager this summer in Carlo Ancelotti, who comes with a certain pedigree in tactics and trophies. The tactical battle between Ancelotti and Klopp was won by the Napoli manager last time around in Italy, can the German mastermind return the favour this time around?

Where are my Red Goggles?

Looking at Napoli from a strictly Red perspective, we have a couple of associations with them over the last decade or two. Rafa Benitez is one, both sets of supporters have enjoyed a successful spell of management from the Spaniard in that period. He won the Champions League & FA Cup with Liverpool, while he won the Coppa Italia with Napoli despite working with limited resources in both clubs.

Carlo Ancelotti is number two, he has a big history with Liverpool over the years. He was at the receiving end of one of the biggest comebacks in the history of European Cup/Champions League final games sparked by a prime Steven Gerrard, while Ancelotti managed to get his revenge two seasons later in another Champions League final between Liverpool and his A. C. Milan.

Interestingly, Ancelotti wanted to pair our own larger than life icon Steven Gerrard with Milan's icon Andrea Pirlo and even spoke to Pirlo about it. The move didn't materialize as Gerrard inevitably rejected this advance just like he did to many other big clubs like Man United, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich over the years.

Beyond these associations, we have also faced Napoli a few times before, twice in the Europa League where a memorable Steven Gerrard hat-trick got us through to the next round. We also met them in the pre-season friendly this season with a resounding win, but we were outplayed in one of our toughest games that we endured this season so far in Naples in the previous CL group stage game.

Is the APLT looking tasty?
Champions League Group Dynamics

With games coming thick and fast, and us at the Top of the League now, it's getting harder & harder to keep a steady mind, I'm feeling dizzy right now, so dizzy that I want to keep looking at our upward curve in the APLT. That's for another day though. Now, it's up to us to fully concentrate on the magnitude of the task ahead.

This group was always going to be the group of death, but Red Star Belgrade has played spoilsport with their draw against Napoli and win against Liverpool. With Napoli & PSG exchanging draws, and Liverpool & PSG exchanging wins, the group is coming to a climax. We need to overturn a 1-0 deficit at Anfield (in knockout terms), so we need to keep a clean-sheet or we need to win by more than 1 goal margin. The task is massive, because if they score 1, we would need 3. We needed a late Steven Gerrard beauty to do this job against Olympiacos in 2004-05, and this is against a Napoli side that's a bigger challenge than that and Klopp is coming up against another master tactician who already put one over him this season.

Are we up for it?

If we treat this as a knockout game, and the circumstances are very much inclined to allow us to do so, then it is a big Anfield 2nd leg in an attempt to overturn a 1-0 deficit. What do we do best under those circumstances? First & foremost, it is us, the fans who can give us a good start by giving out the famous intimidating atmosphere that we're known for in European Nights. We need to raise our game and give one of the best atmospheres we can give our players & manager to soak themselves in and give their all, all their strengths & talents & composure.

Let Anfield rise up again & show the world what we can do.

What's up at Naples?

The latest news from Naples is that Ancelotti wants to attack us rather than setup to keep the scoreline.

No major doubts or injuries from the Napoli camp apart from Chiriches being out for the season.

Lineups, Formations, Tactics

I will leave this part of the playground to all of you, play away. Play all you want. Take your tactics board & speculate away. I can only remind you that Gomez is out with a fracture & Lovren is recovering from concussion although he might be good to start. Clyne is a doubt as well, however we can expect Alexander-Arnold to step out on the pitch.

On a sidenote, this game happens to be on my Birthday. Will Liverpool give me more to cheer on my birthday?

Over to you, as I start biting every inch of my nails off from this second onward.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 08:35:50 pm by Mulled T₂Oh Cum All Ye Faithful »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: CL: Liverpool 1 v Napoli 0 - 33' Mo
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 06:46:19 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 06:47:30 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 07:37:42 pm »
Commentary Team: Tepid, Jillc

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:55:09 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 07:55:30 pm »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 07:58:48 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 07:59:59 pm »
For us....

I forget about that, for us.  ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 08:00:34 pm »
Good evening everyone.

A crackling atmosphere at Anfield, the crowd fizzing with energy.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 08:03:25 pm »
1 and Liverpool get this match under way heading towards the Annie road.

Alllez Allez Allez cry the kopites

W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 08:05:59 pm »
3 dangerous play by Napoli as they pass sharply into our box. 

They may be should have had a shot there... very dangerous that.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2018, 08:09:00 pm »
5 a proper 433 here.  Mane left, Bobby in the middle and Mo out left.

Lovely cross form the left by Ruiz, VVD stretches out his long leg to clear.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2018, 08:10:38 pm »
7 chance for the reds.

Robertson is played into acres of space down the left, his cross finds Mo free in the area, he opts to control it but it runs off his foot to the goalie.  Should have just whacked it first time.

And then Hamsik meets a cut back on the edge of the area and just puts it over our bar.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2018, 08:11:37 pm »
8 cross form the right by TAA finds Milner surging onto the area.  His firm header is just over the bar.

It’s not a tight match.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2018, 08:12:19 pm »
It looked as though Mo was trying to get it onto his left foot, might have been better taking a shot straight from the pass.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 08:14:30 pm »
PSG take the lead in the other game.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 08:14:36 pm »
11 nice ball plays Mo almost clear, but the Napoli defender just covers.

PSG. 1 up

Now VVD is in the book for a perfect clean tackle. Will miss our next European game whatever it is.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 08:16:07 pm »
Talk about Mertens making the most of it. Doesn't that mean he misses a game?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 08:20:31 pm »
16 foul near the corner flag after Mo is hacked down.

It’s cleared easily.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 08:24:21 pm »
20 offside goal..

Mane puts it in the net but was a yard offside.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2018, 08:25:03 pm »
Sadio realised and tried to move back. But that is encouraging at least.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2018, 08:25:29 pm »
Over to Jill.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2018, 08:26:14 pm »
23 Some good play there by Gini who tried to put Salah through, but he couldn't quite control it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2018, 08:27:22 pm »
24' Really end to end at the moment, an break from Napoli leads to Van Dijk conceding a corner. The ball is played in, but the Napoli players are ruled offside.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2018, 08:29:01 pm »
26' We then bring the ball out of midfield find loads of space, Salah goes on a run, the shot is blocked. The ball comes back out into the box Salah is brought down, but nothing given.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2018, 08:30:01 pm »
26' We then bring the ball out of midfield find loads of space, Salah goes on a run, the shot is blocked. The ball comes back out into the box Salah is brought down, but nothing given.
Clean tackle that..

Worth noting that they then got a free kick for a foul on their goalie... who had collided with his own player. 

Not impressed by the ref there.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2018, 08:30:56 pm »
28' A bit nip and tuck at the moment, a lot going on in midfield as both team battle for possession of the ball. This is referee is so fussy, Napoli got a free kick and the defender and Bobby hardly made contact.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2018, 08:33:20 pm »
30' A bit of rough and tumble in the Napoli goal mouth as Salah hits the deck, but there's nothing much in it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2018, 08:34:27 pm »
31' That was a fair shot from Henderson there, which came straight from the a throw-in, though it went wide.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2018, 08:35:05 pm »
28' A bit nip and tuck at the moment, a lot going on in midfield as both team battle for possession of the ball. This is referee is so fussy, Napoli got a free kick and the defender and Bobby hardly made contact.
This ref is a Bellend

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 08:36:00 pm »
33' We are putting a lot of crosses into the box especially fromTrent, but so far there always seems to be someone there. And then Gooooaaalllllaaaaa Salah

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 08:37:10 pm »
34' That was a fantastic finish by Salah, he gets the ball has a run they're expecting him to cross it but he fires it through the goalie's legs. Beautiful.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 08:37:21 pm »
Oh beautiful. Mo squirms away form their defender and his right footed cross/shot goes straight through Ospina.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 08:38:21 pm »
35 As this games goes one goal is enough to get us through. But we all know just defending that could be very risky. Lets see if we're still going for it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
Re: CL: Liverpool 1 v Napoli 0 ‘33 Mo
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 08:39:44 pm »
36' A little bit of pressure from Napoli as they try to react to the goal. We weren't defending smartly there, we need to keep a bit more compact maybe.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 08:41:19 pm »
38' BT showing a Napoli fan crying, I would have thought it is a bit early for that. NOthing much happeneing, after a bit of pressure we have the ball back. Koulibaly gets a booking for a nasty tackle on Mo who is okay. We get a free kick.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 08:42:55 pm »
Proper nasty stamp that..
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 08:43:31 pm »
39 Free kick taken Milner passes it to Trent who blasts it but its blocked.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 08:45:07 pm »
PSG 2 up now
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2018, 08:45:09 pm »
41 A bit of pressure for Napoli who play the ball around in midfield before breaking quickly but the ball is fired past Alisson's goal.