Author Topic: LFC v Southampton 22.9.18 3pm Anfield  (Read 25260 times)

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
Re: LFC v Southampton 22.9.18 3pm Anfield
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2018, 11:14:01 am »
Klopp is likely to keep the same starting 11 for ALL PL games, and make changes as required in the Cup games, including CL.

Expect the strongest lineout for this one. Keep the momentum on winning every 3 points available in the PL.
Klopp will be aware that after the 'test' against PSG, there is every risk that players could drop their game a tad thinking this is 'only' Southampton. Fortunately there are many top players in the squad to fill in for any player not up for the fight.

3-0 would not surprise anyone.

Agreed. We need to rotate the shit out of that league cup game. Shaq, Moreno, Clyne, Matip, Fabinho, Solanke and Origi can all get their chance to shine.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Yesitsanextender

• Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe.
  • Anny Roader
  • i love klopp, kloppy klopp klopp, down in my belly
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2018, 11:55:58 am »
shaqiri to start along with mane and  firmino. bench salah....there i said it

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2018, 12:05:19 pm »
I am excited for Klopp's presser let alone the match! :D what a time to be alive

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2018, 12:08:09 pm »
It’s Fabinho time in my opinion

Midweek against Chelsea, I think.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2018, 12:17:21 pm »
I would play Salah. Chances are we will be well on top and creating plenty of chances, so this could be a game for him to click and really get his season going.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2018, 12:59:32 pm »
I would play Salah. Chances are we will be well on top and creating plenty of chances, so this could be a game for him to click and really get his season going.

I moncur

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2018, 01:03:51 pm »
Klopp very satisfied with Mo and his defensive contribution and hard work in the last two games. Says he is getting into good positions and that finishing can not be taken for granted. Says he is in great physical shape

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2018, 01:10:08 pm »
Salah scored 3 goals in the first 6 games last year. So far he has 2 in 6.

Same start to the season really.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2018, 01:11:11 pm »
No reason not to start Salah in this game. He’s not hitting last seasons heights yet but you just feel a goal or two will change all that. He’s our most likely goal scorer and is still getting in positions and creating chances even if not always taking them currently.

If he gets a couple and we’re well ahead then rest him. Chelsea is the game for more rotation.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2018, 01:14:28 pm »
No reason not to start Salah in this game. He’s not hitting last seasons heights yet but you just feel a goal or two will change all that. He’s our most likely goal scorer and is still getting in positions and creating chances even if not always taking them currently.

If he gets a couple and we’re well ahead then rest him. Chelsea is the game for more rotation.

I agree, however he didn't hit the heights he did right away. It took time.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2018, 01:17:06 pm »
Klopp asking for a brilliant atmosphere against Soton, saying that without the support the result we got against PSG would have not been possible

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2018, 01:41:29 pm »
Mind boggling that people are suggesting resting a guy with 29 goals in 29 starts at Anfield with a rest game this midweek.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #132 on: September 21, 2018, 01:55:49 pm »
Salah scored 3 goals in the first 6 games last year. So far he has 2 in 6.

Same start to the season really.

Exactly. This season Mo's come off the back of a world cup, a shortened pre-season, a crunching shoulder injury and a fall out with the Egypt FA. He was also under zero pressure and scrutiny to perform at the same stage last year. The time to panic with a striker is when the goals dry up completely and they're not even getting into scoring positions.

He was missing sitters for weeks last season and then it suddenly clicked, and I think it will be the same this season - starting with a couple of goals tomorrow to shut up the media morons and some bed wetting fans.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:16:38 pm by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2018, 01:57:33 pm »
Mind boggling that people are suggesting resting a guy with 29 goals in 29 starts at Anfield with a rest game this midweek.

Welcome to Rawk  ;D

Offline Roland Barthes

• Boys Pen
  • To be looked on as a text.
« Reply #134 on: September 21, 2018, 02:20:53 pm »
I really think that Salah starting is mandatory. It is true that at times he might have looked a bit rusty or leggy, but that's only in comparison to the image we now have of the immense player he proved to be last season. If I remember correctly, after the first few games this time last year, people more often than not failed to see a world-class player in him--but gradually he became an untouchable asset of our team. Time will tell. It did last season, and in what a great manner.

I recall that in the game vs City, at the Etihad last season, when we lost 5 to 0, Salah missed a good chance when we were 1 down, and the commentator hastened to state that Salah is ''no Aguero''. So--at the beginning of the season we was looked upon as a lesser player compared to Aguero, and behold how that turned over!

I think it is obvious from his game that he remains, his ephemeral form notwithstanding, an incredibly dangerous player--the way he attacks the ball, the way he attacks the open spaces, the channels behind players (which, make no mistake, now are more prepared to deal with Salah, having studied him beforehand, unlike last season, which does nothing but add to the difficulties our player faces in his quest to replicate his blazing performance from last campaign), his positioning in attack when receiving the ball, the pressing, the tracking back when defending, his presence around the opposition's box, his touches (not quite as sharp as we would expect of him, but still irrefutably classy), his turns, his movement from right to left etc. all contribute to asserting that Salah is a phenomenal player, and I have no doubt that he will find his form sooner rather than later.

Having said these, I maintain that we absolutely have to start him tomorrow, and next week against Chelsea in the league, because he is, quite simply, one of our best players.
And one more thing, just remember from last season how impotent our team looked at times when Salah went off or missed from our game. When he was subbed against City at home in the UCL, or against Roma, or, sadly, against Real Madrid--he has an aura about him that no one can deny: he possesses a fear-inducing factor that few players do; when he has the ball, you just expect things to happen and can observe how the opposition's defense start panicking, because they know he can change a game on his own. He has to start most of our games.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:25:12 pm by Roland Barthes »
Everything has a meaning, or nothing has.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
« Reply #135 on: September 21, 2018, 02:26:34 pm »
Business as usual...   Six wins to start the season!

One of the biggest unspoken ideas in coaching, when things are going well --- do not change success for changes' sake because (as these times are rare and need to be cultivated) like Jurgen says --- its like a fragile flower (needs care and attention) that mass substitutions could alter permanently.

There will be a time when change is necessary, but Soton at home is not one of them.

Liverpool do not need changes to win this game --- they need to bring what they usually do --- that is more than enough.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qQU01lvT2vQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qQU01lvT2vQ</a>
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:33:09 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #136 on: September 21, 2018, 02:35:58 pm »
I think accumulated fatigue needs to be kept one eye on, along with trying to put in the best team needed to beat Southampton this weekend. That means we also have to think of the stretch of the games, the more regular players have to play 3 high intensity games on a stretch before international break.

For the defense, as they cover lesser distances than the midfielders, I would play Van Dijk even though I think he's already played too many games (including two 90 minute games in the international break). If Lovren's fit for the League Cup game, he goes in and so does Matip and Clyne for the midweek game. But not making changes to the defense in the league I think can help.

Personally, I would play Moreno in this game, and rest Robertson alone from the back 5 and play Robertson against Chelsea. I would do this so that Lovren doesn't get exposed in the League Cup game when he's just back from injury, although it's only a minor thought.

As for the midfield, Milner will get two weeks break in the International Break, however we need to ensure he's in the best shape for the three games to come Chelsea A (PL), Napoli A (CL), Man City H (PL) and all of them could be high intensity games. That means I would give him a full week's rest and leave him on the bench in both the upcoming games. I'd do the same for Wijnaldum (he played 135 minutes of international games as well). Henderson has only started 1 PL game, so he should be relatively fresh. That means it's a perfect game to introduce Fabinho. I'd play the 3 of Fabinho, Keita and Henderson for the next 2 games in a row and then bring back the others for the remaining 3 games before the international break.

As for the attack, I think Salah needs goals, so I'd play him and rest him midweek. Bobby was rested during the PSG game and I'd rest him in the League Cup as well, so I'd play him as well. I'd bring in Shaqiri for Mane as Mane has played quite a lot of minutes and bring him on as as sub if needed in the next 2 games.

I'd play this Alisson, TAA, Gomez, Van Dijk, Moreno, Fabinho, Hnederson, Keita, Salah, Firmino, Shaqiri.

That should be good enough to beat Southampton.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 02:38:25 pm by PoetryInMotion »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: September 21, 2018, 02:41:32 pm »
I think accumulated fatigue needs to be kept one eye on, along with trying to put in the best team needed to beat Southampton this weekend. That means we also have to think of the stretch of the games, the more regular players have to play 3 high intensity games on a stretch before international break.

For the defense, as they cover lesser distances than the midfielders, I would play Van Dijk even though I think he's already played too many games (including two 90 minute games in the international break). If Lovren's fit for the League Cup game, he goes in and so does Matip and Clyne for the midweek game. But not making changes to the defense in the league I think can help.

Personally, I would play Moreno in this game, and rest Robertson alone from the back 5 and play Robertson against Chelsea. I would do this so that Lovren doesn't get exposed in the League Cup game when he's just back from injury, although it's only a minor thought.

As for the midfield, Milner will get two weeks break in the International Break, however we need to ensure he's in the best shape for the three games to come Chelsea A (PL), Napoli A (CL), Man City H (PL) and all of them could be high intensity games. That means I would give him a full week's rest and leave him on the bench in both the upcoming games. I'd do the same for Wijnaldum (he played 135 minutes of international games as well). Henderson has only started 1 PL game, so he should be relatively fresh. That means it's a perfect game to introduce Fabinho. I'd play the 3 of Fabinho, Keita and Henderson for the next 2 games in a row and then bring back the others for the remaining 3 games before the international break.

As for the attack, I think Salah needs goals, so I'd play him and rest him midweek. Bobby was rested during the PSG game and I'd rest him in the League Cup as well, so I'd play him as well. I'd bring in Shaqiri for Mane as Mane has played quite a lot of minutes and bring him on as as sub if needed in the next 2 games.

I'd play this Alisson, TAA, Gomez, Van Dijk, Moreno, Fabinho, Hnederson, Keita, Salah, Firmino, Shaqiri.

That should be good enough to beat Southampton.

Well said and explained I agree with that

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2018, 02:42:14 pm »
I really think that Salah starting is mandatory. It is true that at times he might have looked a bit rusty or leggy, but that's only in comparison to the image we now have of the immense player he proved to be last season. If I remember correctly, after the first few games this time last year, people more often than not failed to see a world-class player in him--but gradually he became an untouchable asset of our team. Time will tell. It did last season, and in what a great manner.

I recall that in the game vs City, at the Etihad last season, when we lost 5 to 0, Salah missed a good chance when we were 1 down, and the commentator hastened to state that Salah is ''no Aguero''. So--at the beginning of the season we was looked upon as a lesser player compared to Aguero, and behold how that turned over!

I think it is obvious from his game that he remains, his ephemeral form notwithstanding, an incredibly dangerous player--the way he attacks the ball, the way he attacks the open spaces, the channels behind players (which, make no mistake, now are more prepared to deal with Salah, having studied him beforehand, unlike last season, which does nothing but add to the difficulties our player faces in his quest to replicate his blazing performance from last campaign), his positioning in attack when receiving the ball, the pressing, the tracking back when defending, his presence around the opposition's box, his touches (not quite as sharp as we would expect of him, but still irrefutably classy), his turns, his movement from right to left etc. all contribute to asserting that Salah is a phenomenal player, and I have no doubt that he will find his form sooner rather than later.

Having said these, I maintain that we absolutely have to start him tomorrow, and next week against Chelsea in the league, because he is, quite simply, one of our best players.
And one more thing, just remember from last season how impotent our team looked at times when Salah went off or missed from our game. When he was subbed against City at home in the UCL, or against Roma, or, sadly, against Real Madrid--he has an aura about him that no one can deny: he possesses a fear-inducing factor that few players do; when he has the ball, you just expect things to happen and can observe how the opposition's defense start panicking, because they know he can change a game on his own. He has to start most of our games.

Great first post !  ;) I agree, Salah has a similar aura ala Suarez or Torres, when they're on the pitch regardless of how the game is going and how they are playing, you can expect that they can make something out of nothing.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: September 21, 2018, 02:59:36 pm »
We cannot treat Soton any different than PSG --- that is what Jurgen is saying (with crowd challenge to make the atmosphere like a European night). 

Subs that you two are talking about sends a message to the team implicitly that this game is less important ---  No Robbo, No Mane, etc... is change for change's sake.  Klopp himself has just said:  "No one in the squad is tired, yet"....

Subs will come next week with Chelsea in Caribou --- that is when changes are needed.  If we get to 7 games and 7 wins, we then start planning rotation for road games at Chelsea- EPL/Napoli/ home to Man City....

Leave it up to Jurgen.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 03:09:47 pm by Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2018, 03:48:32 pm »
We cannot treat Soton any different than PSG --- that is what Jurgen is saying (with crowd challenge to make the atmosphere like a European night). 

Subs that you two are talking about sends a message to the team implicitly that this game is less important ---  No Robbo, No Mane, etc... is change for change's sake.  Klopp himself has just said:  "No one in the squad is tired, yet"....

Subs will come next week with Chelsea in Caribou --- that is when changes are needed.  If we get to 7 games and 7 wins, we then start planning rotation for road games at Chelsea- EPL/Napoli/ home to Man City....

Leave it up to Jurgen.

I don't think that was necessary mate. We're having a discussion based on our opinions and considering the stretch of games that we have. That does not mean we (or specifically I) won't get behind whoever Jurgen is picking to play nor does it mean that Jurgen's selections will be questioned if it's different from our ideas. Of course, everybody is going to leave it to Jurgen, who else do we leave it to? We are discussing, that's why discussion forums and pre-match threads exist.

To discuss and present ideas of starting line-up is one of the highlights of the pre-match threads, along with "let's twat the twats' or whatever  ;D

The changes nowhere mean we're disrespecting the opposition, it's just to prepare for the set of games that we have to face. A couple of changes don't lessen our quality necessarily, it's nowhere close to wholesale changes (we're not putting Nat Phillips and Curtis Jones here) and I think you're under-rating our squad a bit if you think that side is not enough to beat Southampton.

And, no Robertson or no Mane suggestions is clearly not changes for changes sake. I've elaborately explained the motives behind my suggestions, it would be rather fine to agree to disagree than put words in people's mouths or trying to stop the discussion itself when you don't agree with it  :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:20:23 pm by PoetryInMotion »

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2018, 03:53:18 pm »
Leave it up to Jurgen.

No. What if I want to be in charge for once?
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2018, 03:55:04 pm »
Curious to see what Klopp does here. Soton at Anfield is a much easier 3 points than Chelsea away. I'd be tempted to play a stronger lineup for this fixture.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2018, 03:57:14 pm »
After the absolute non-story created by the media in midweek (Mo's 'non celebration') do you really think we need to offer them another on a plate

SALAH FUTURE IN DOUBT AFTER BEING CAST ASIDE BY KLOPP

or words to that effect. F

Get a grip you bells. Mo is magnificent and will start.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #144 on: September 21, 2018, 04:02:32 pm »
Whether he starts or not, do you really think that media reaction will play a part in the decision?
After the absolute non-story created by the media in midweek (Mo's 'non celebration') do you really think we need to offer them another on a plate

SALAH FUTURE IN DOUBT AFTER BEING CAST ASIDE BY KLOPP

or words to that effect. F

Get a grip you bells. Mo is magnificent and will start.
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2018, 04:05:09 pm »

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2018, 04:05:10 pm »
Play a strong team.....we don't want any "euro hangover" results. Play the likes of sturride, shaqiri, fabino, matip, moreno against chelsea in the cup game.
Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2018, 04:12:24 pm »
I don't think that was necessary mate. We're having a discussion based on our opinions and considering the stretch of games that we have. That does not mean we (or specifically I) won't get behind whoever Jurgen is picking to play nor does it mean that Jurgen's selections will be questioned if it's different from our ideas. Of course, everybody is going to leave it to Jurgen, who else? We are discussing, that's why discussion forums and pre-match threads exist.

To discuss and present ideas of starting line-up is one of the highlights of the pre-match threads, along with "let's twat the twats' or whatever  ;D

And, no Robertson or no Mane suggestions is clearly not changes for changes sake. I've elaborately explained the motives behind my suggestions, it would be rather fine to agree to disagree than put words in people's mouths or trying to stop the discussion itself when you don't agree with it  :)

Probably right.   Not necessary, but my own patience with the tinkering after the best start in the last three decades --- left me thinking, how many of these lads have coached. 

Not helpful, I know.  And not having a go at you PIM (who I do read and enjoy) or Defacto (same), but in this particular circumstance, I have too little patience to consider its merits.  Because, I think Jurgen will not make major changes (maybe one in the midfield) -- and I do not think it will factor in his decision (player rest/considering the lay off, how we are playing, and the advantages of rotating now).

But the bigger point is this ----> truly a lesson or belief (of not over coaching or over thinking when things work) that one has to learn to by doing.  And of course, I could be wrong as an injury or form question arises in the game, but many supporters are more concerned about being entertained with the latest new player (Fabinho, Shaqiri --- whom I love), or latest new lineup ----->  without looking at the risks

Any time one changes a winning side (especially 7 straight), I think you risk the process --- subs are for when players are really needed, not for a whimsy or entertainment (not saying this is your argument --- but there are plenty who do want to see Fabinho/Shaqiri/others et al... not because they believe their quality will help us beat Soton, but to give a few players a rest (this is a subliminal message to the team that many do not take in account).  Jurgen knows this.

You have to reward the people who got you there --- and since no one is really tired according to Klopp, this conversation is more a contrived ---- although well intentioned, examination.

I could be wrong, but I bet Jurgen only makes minimal moves --- keeping the rotation idea for a bit later.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2018, 04:13:54 pm »
I think it's irrelevant. As irrelevant as an argument over not starting one of your best players. I feel there is a classic 'build em up, knock em down' media play in progress here with Mo, and for some reason, idiotic Liverpool fans are fueling it and buying into it with some of the nonsense here.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline stevieheighway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Were Gonna win the League
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2018, 04:15:52 pm »
We will need to start playing some of the fringe players in PL or CL games at some point. It makes no sense to run the starting 11 into the ground before bringing in the 2nd string. It would be a brave call to start rotating now/soon but it is surely the right one
I'm really looking forward to the future. People can say it's going to be grim if they want but i'm a Liverpool fan...and I don't fucking believe them.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2018, 04:21:18 pm »
Curious to see what Klopp does here. Soton at Anfield is a much easier 3 points than Chelsea away. I'd be tempted to play a stronger lineup for this fixture.

Its not either or.....  We should aim to win both.   7 game winning streak means trust the boys who have played first.   When its time to substitute, trust your subs.  This is the situation.

No fresh injuries --- Lovren coming back soon.  The squad should be chomping at the bit (waiting 4 or 5 days to Stamford Bridge in the Caribou Cup) and ready to play.   

There is no one we need to save for Chelsea EPL match that cannot keep playing against Soton.  We are playing well, keep it rolling.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2018, 04:26:21 pm »
We will need to start playing some of the fringe players in PL or CL games at some point. It makes no sense to run the starting 11 into the ground before bringing in the 2nd string. It would be a brave call to start rotating now/soon but it is surely the right one

Yeah... right one? 

Who is to say when the rotation of the squad should start?   7 game winning streak?

Oh!  Soton?  What message does it send? 

Answer:  They are not as good as others  --- (Not really a message we would want for the boys)

Chelsea League Cup/EPL?  What message does it send? 

Answer:  That we have a deep freaking squad and bench

Again, someone is going to have make a good case to change a winning squad --- other than fear of injuries/etc... after Jurgen has stated publicly today that his team is not tired in this moment.

Why Soton?  Why now?  Two games per week --- running the 11 into the ground?
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2018, 04:30:18 pm »
Probably right.   Not necessary, but my own patience with the tinkering after the best start in the last three decades --- left me thinking, how many of these lads have coached. 

snip

I do take your points, but if you want to strongly believe that only coaches can comment on tactics, only filmmakers can comment on films and so on, you won't have newspaper men, you won't have critics, you won't have 'fans'. The coaches can then coach alone, the filmmakers can film alone, the singers can sing alone and so on. There will be nobody to appreciate them. When they're able to take the appreciations of people and others (do they dismiss that also saying you've not coached, you've not done it and so on?), they should have the patience to acknowledge thoughts that are different from just appreciations, credit from others.

And no one could be really tired now, but rotation is absolutely necessary in this age of 4 tournaments with faster football played than before. Jurgen knows best, but there will be times where he will rotate without players being tired, because he knows its importance and it's not like he hasn't done it before. He rotated pre December to try and cope with the schedule difficulties later in the season and this happened last season. Although you tried to make it out like I was trying to talk out of my arse with the dismissal tone and impatience in your initial post, last season shows that was not the case and he will do it again this season, if not this weekend, at different points of time this season. That, I'm sure of! Even if it falls under your "changes for changes sake" category  :)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2018, 04:38:35 pm »
Let's win and we'll discuss the rotation later :D  ;D

Offline bam09

• Brexiteer who lives in Canada. Is alright Jack...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2018, 04:42:56 pm »
Its not either or.....  We should aim to win both.   7 game winning streak means trust the boys who have played first.   When its time to substitute, trust your subs.  This is the situation.

No fresh injuries --- Lovren coming back soon.  The squad should be chomping at the bit (waiting 4 or 5 days to Stamford Bridge in the Caribou Cup) and ready to play.   

There is no one we need to save for Chelsea EPL match that cannot keep playing against Soton.  We are playing well, keep it rolling.

Didn't say it was either/or. Of course the aim is to win both. However, both fixtures are not equally created, and one is clearly more difficult than the other. The squad is deep enough that we can win all 3 matches over the next 3 days, but at the same time, lineup strength will increase or decrease the likelihood of winning each fixture. We absolutely do need to rotate the squad during this stretch. There's the cup midweek which I don't think Jurgen will chuck away, so I'd be shocked if we saw any of our regular first choice XI play more than 2/3 this week. All I'm saying is that it makes more sense to load the XI up at home vs Southampton as doing so sees a greater chance of 3 points than trying to get cute with it to play a loaded XI against Chelsea.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2018, 04:44:22 pm »

Why Soton?  Why now? 

Can't answer the others, but we're playing Chelsea, Chelsea, Napoli and Man City in the space of two weeks after this game. Granted, the first one is in the league cup, the others are big big games, make no mistake. That doesn't mean Southampton are disrespected. It's just making use of the good squad depth we have now at last.

Two games per week --- running the 11 into the ground?

No, not in general, but the way we play against other high pressing sides in general (currently Napoli & City and maybe even Sarri's early Chelsea) requires high intensity. Again, we have 3 games against Chelsea, Napoli and City in the space of 10 days. We pressed City to death when we beat them twice. If we need points, we have to work hard in these games. Three high intensity fixtures in one and half weeks, that answers for itself. Even if we make it through this phase without rotation, accumulated fatigue will show in the later phases of the season, second half of the season maybe.

Our players did drop like flies in the last two seasons towards the end, some of them were contact injuries, but how much of that was due to the same players having to be used in regularity? There's no point in having depth now, without ever using it.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2018, 04:46:45 pm »
I do take your points, but if you want to strongly believe that only coaches can comment on tactics, only filmmakers can comment on films and so on, you won't have newspaper men, you won't have critics, you won't have 'fans'. The coaches can then coach alone, the filmmakers can film alone, the singers can sing alone and so on. There will be nobody to appreciate them. When they're able to take the appreciations of people and others (do they dismiss that also saying you've not coached, you've not done it and so on?), they should have the patience to acknowledge thoughts that are different from just appreciations, credit from others.

And no one could be really tired now, but rotation is absolutely necessary in this age of 4 tournaments with faster football played than before. Jurgen knows best, but there will be times where he will rotate without players being tired, because he knows its importance and it's not like he hasn't done it before. He rotated pre December to try and cope with the schedule difficulties later in the season and this happened last season. Although you tried to make it out like I was trying to talk out of my arse with the dismissal tone and impatience in your initial post, last season shows that was not the case and he will do it again this season, if not this weekend, at different points of time this season. That, I'm sure of! Even if it falls under your "changes for changes sake" category  :)

Not arguing with you mate.  You make good points.

I am saying this is the kind of lesson one tends to get from years of coaching.  Not saying only coaches can learn this, but that the realization for coaches is that it is

1.  Hard to win on a regular basis in many leagues (U6 to Professional)
2.  Hard to start the season with 7 wins in most any league
3.  Difficult to find the balance in rotating a squad so that the team benefits and the squad benefits
4.  Difficult to get through the first few games without injuries, major team issues, and keep the essence of group

The major point here is that what we have done already has been quite difficult, practice, integrating new players into the squad and starting XI, and we are getting results.  This is game is difficult enough, why should Jurgen make it more complicated by changing it up against a team type where we have struggled against previously (a team we should beat, but somehow fail to get the result).

No.   We have to show Southampton respect.  And take these lot out back and lash them using our best starting XI. 

Rotation comes midweek, and starts their tactical periodization cycle as well. 

Lets come to it.  Jurgen has thought about this for hours and hours based upon all sorts of data points (distance run, fatigue, practice, form, player performance plans, and the fixture schedule). 

Let's sit back and watch what he does considering all of these factors.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2018, 04:47:27 pm »

;D

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2018, 04:50:25 pm »

Indeed!!!  ;D Just get the 3 points.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2018, 04:58:16 pm »
Not arguing with you mate.  You make good points.

I am saying this is the kind of lesson one tends to get from years of coaching.  Not saying only coaches can learn this, but that the realization for coaches is that it is

1.  Hard to win on a regular basis in many leagues (U6 to Professional)
2.  Hard to start the season with 7 wins in most any league
3.  Difficult to find the balance in rotating a squad so that the team benefits and the squad benefits
4.  Difficult to get through the first few games without injuries, major team issues, and keep the essence of group

The major point here is that what we have done already has been quite difficult, practice, integrating new players into the squad and starting XI, and we are getting results.  This is game is difficult enough, why should Jurgen make it more complicated by changing it up against a team type where we have struggled against previously (a team we should beat, but somehow fail to get the result).

No.   We have to show Southampton respect.  And take these lot out back and lash them using our best starting XI. 

Rotation comes midweek, and starts their tactical periodization cycle as well. 

Lets come to it.  Jurgen has thought about this for hours and hours based upon all sorts of data points (distance run, fatigue, practice, form, player performance plans, and the fixture schedule). 

Let's sit back and watch what he does considering all of these factors.

About Jurgen's thought process, Oh, definitely! It's a great thing to be able to observe the great things that our manager keeps doing, from the conferences to how he gets us to play, and this is definitely a season to sit back and enjoy.

I really take your point about integrating players, but that's why I believe Fabinho, after all the tough run of games, can be integrated in the comfort of Anfield in this game. I just have a feeling he got that 30 second cameo for Jurgen to get his 'debut' out of the way, so he can start playing him. I'm just feeling cautious about avoiding injuries that can be avoided, and that's not just for now, but to set us up in a good place for a run-in towards the end of the season if we want to fight for trophies and the PL title.

We may have struggled against Southampton in the past, but both of our games last season were comfortable and they're no longer the pressing machine they were under Poch and at times under Koeman. We have a good enough squad now to beat them is my idea. Trusting our squad more doesn't equate to disrespecting Southampton  :)

Having discussed all that, Jurgen's approach is the most important and it will be interesting to see how he goes about until the international break for now, and the entire season as well.