Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge  (Read 387786 times)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Daniel Sturridge
« Reply #3600 on: November 21, 2017, 06:55:44 am »
If we sold him in January we'd be looking at a good fee. It's hard to sign players in this window especially ones that score goals and the ones round the lower positions are crying out for a forward.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3601 on: November 21, 2017, 08:25:29 am »
I just like having him around...the odds of replacing him with someone of equal standing is quite slim. As long as the club are fine with paying him, I'd prefer to keep him until the end of his deal.

The potential of replays in January and the always real possibility of injury/suspension issues. I don't think you can have enough good players.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3602 on: November 21, 2017, 08:37:11 am »
Would be crazy to let him go in Jan after deciding to keep him in the summer.

Keep hold, assess in the summer.

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #3603 on: November 21, 2017, 08:48:17 am »

Is right. Unless Danny forces the issue in January to get more playing time elsewhere, it would be silly to let him go as he adds good depth to what is an improving squad.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #3604 on: November 21, 2017, 09:13:27 am »
Is right. Unless Danny forces the issue in January to get more playing time elsewhere, it would be silly to let him go as he adds good depth to what is an improving squad.
Interest in him will be strong, and our hand is weakened morally by him having so little playing time thus far. If he does not get four or five games in the forthcoming fixture congestion, he probably will want off, as long as its not just the relegation battlers wooing him.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3605 on: November 21, 2017, 10:00:22 am »

Yes, pretty much my take. He's not starting even when fit and after scoring a couple of goals. I would guess him and his agent are not happy. However, as the season goes on there is more chance of Firmino getting a knock. Surely Daniel will be sold come the summer but until then, you never know he could still score one or two crucial goals for us.

He would be the most talented sub in the Premier League or close to, so we should be pleased about that, even if he isn't.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3606 on: November 21, 2017, 10:08:10 am »
If we can make a trade with Southampton, that would be nice for both parts. Sturridge and some money for VVD.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3607 on: November 21, 2017, 10:10:12 am »
Ahhh you can tell we're getting closer to a transfer window :D

As ever, why would we sell? Why would he leave? Who would pay what he'd want elsewhere?

I highly doubt we'd sell to a rival, so that leaves clubs like West Ham, Southampton, Leicester etc. Not happening.

Absolute non-story, as it is every time!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #3608 on: November 21, 2017, 10:38:30 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/B5min7byzG0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/B5min7byzG0</a>
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3609 on: November 21, 2017, 12:54:21 pm »
Jurgen has dismissed th3 notion of him going. we need him. is what he is saying

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #3610 on: November 21, 2017, 03:18:15 pm »

The only way that I'd be happy selling him in January is if we got VVD in return.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3611 on: November 21, 2017, 03:24:35 pm »
Hopefully we can have a meaningful FA cup run and we'll still be in the Champs league in Feb.

He won't be let go.

Once Origi is back in the summer then you assume one will leave.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3612 on: November 25, 2017, 09:13:27 pm »
Finished at the highest level, wouldn't get into any decent team now.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3613 on: November 25, 2017, 09:15:27 pm »
Finished at the highest level, wouldn't get into any decent team now.

Gets into ours, are we not decent?

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3614 on: November 25, 2017, 09:21:38 pm »
We are a top four to six team at the moment.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3615 on: November 25, 2017, 09:23:38 pm »
We are a top four to six team at the moment.

And we're improving as Klopp builds his team.

Offline Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3616 on: November 25, 2017, 09:29:59 pm »
Hope so mate..

Offline Greyfox

• Silver Fox's less distinguished brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird on my chest
« Reply #3617 on: November 25, 2017, 09:36:07 pm »
He's not the DS that we are used to seeing and if he's not that DS then he's passed it...did anyone, at any point today, think he would win us that game with some magic?

Nah...me neither...

Offline The Driftwood

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3618 on: November 25, 2017, 09:48:49 pm »
Every time he got the ball today, he slowed down our attacks by taking too long to control the ball and turn by then the Chelsea defenders had got back into position. Hurts to see compared to Sturridge of few years ago, he'll still play a part this season though, will get us some goals.
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3619 on: November 25, 2017, 09:52:56 pm »
Ahhh you can tell we're getting closer to a transfer window :D

As ever, why would we sell? Why would he leave? Who would pay what he'd want elsewhere?

I highly doubt we'd sell to a rival, so that leaves clubs like West Ham, Southampton, Leicester etc. Not happening.

Absolute non-story, as it is every time!

I don't think he'll go, but asking "Why would he leave?" borders on stupidity. Take a stab in the dark, why would he leave? It might just have something to do with a player of his quality not being content with a place constantly on the bench as the world cup looms ever near.

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3620 on: November 25, 2017, 09:56:01 pm »
Thought he was decent in what was a tight game and was unlucky to be the one to come off.
Kept possession, found feet, pressed intelligently and followed instructions (to sit on Kante and stop him building attacks) well.

With that said though he should leave for his own good, there's no chance of him finding any rhythm in this side.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3621 on: November 25, 2017, 09:57:45 pm »
I don't think he'll go, but asking "Why would he leave?" borders on stupidity. Take a stab in the dark, why would he leave? It might just have something to do with a player of his quality not being content with a place constantly on the bench as the world cup looms ever near.

Has he shown any desire to leave in recent times?

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3622 on: November 25, 2017, 10:05:03 pm »
Has he shown any desire to leave in recent times?

Does any player really show much desire to leave until the right offer comes in, other than the high profile transfer sagas ala Coutinho and VVD?

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #3623 on: November 25, 2017, 10:05:17 pm »
He's nowhere near good enough to be in with a shout for the team. He offers nothing really apart from still being a top finisher but it's rare he ever gets in those positions anymore to even show us this. It's a shame but what made him so good was his pace, agility and he could take players on. His movement and positioning may still be good but it's not the fact he's suddenly become a shit player.. it's the fact his body isn't the same and he's now a dream to mark as a defender.
Justice for the 97

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3624 on: November 25, 2017, 10:17:06 pm »
At this stage I don't know what he offers that Solanke wouldn't, wants too many touches in general play and has lost the explosive pace he once had.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3625 on: November 25, 2017, 10:18:27 pm »
At this stage I don't know what he offers that Solanke wouldn't, wants too many touches in general play and has lost the explosive pace he once had.

Top class finishing? Composure?

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3626 on: November 25, 2017, 10:21:03 pm »
Top class finishing? Composure?

How many times in that last 18 months have we seen that tho? I like Sturridge but the last few starts he has not offered the same as a Sturridge of 3 years ago by a long chalk.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3627 on: November 25, 2017, 10:32:15 pm »
How many times in that last 18 months have we seen that tho? I like Sturridge but the last few starts he has not offered the same as a Sturridge of 3 years ago by a long chalk.

I think that's evident to everyone, he's lost his pace for starters. 
But how often have we seen a fully fit Sturrige within that time? 
This is probably the longest period he's been fit and while he's not the threat he was, I still think he can be a valuable squad member, against the right opposition in the right set up.

Having said that I definitely want to see more of Solanke, he's the one for the future.

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3628 on: November 26, 2017, 11:23:58 am »
Chelsea had 8 defensive players camped in their half, with the aim of nullifying our attackers. Very difficult for anyone to find space in such a set up. I wouldn’t judge him based on games like this. I will judge him against teams where we are expected to win, if he doesn’t deliver then questions will be asked. Lukaku does nothing against top 4 teams but because he delivers against the rest, he is still considered as one of the top strikers in the league. I am more delighted that Daniel is fit enough to be called upon when needed. The quality is there, he just needs more games.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3629 on: November 26, 2017, 01:06:35 pm »
Surprised Sturridge started the game, I thought he'd be much more use against Stoke in the week while Firmino seems better suited to these kinds of matches. To be fair, Dan didn't get a clear chance all game and had two players tracking his runs at all times.

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3630 on: November 26, 2017, 01:45:49 pm »

Well in the previous two games he started prior to today he'd scored 2 goals, in most sides and under most managers that would've at worst been a platform to build his confidence and get him some sort of run in the side but he didn't get a single minute until three games and three weeks later.

He's definitely not the same player he was three years ago but the chance he's going to be the best version of Sturridge we have now is non existent if he continues to be used in this way.  Our other attacking players are afforded the chance to have a bad run of games and retain the trust of the manager, Sturridge isn't being afforded that trust even when he's scoring and I'm pretty sure he's aware of that.

for that reason if he gets a decent offer in January I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3631 on: November 26, 2017, 02:10:32 pm »
Decent offer or not, we aren't selling him or loaning him unless we recall Origi back.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #3632 on: November 26, 2017, 02:26:45 pm »
Watching him yesterday and I couldn't help but think 'this guy would kill it in Italy or France'. Heck if he couldn't get moves there then he'd add some glamor to the MLS alongside Giovinco.

Offline ManiacKop

• Smited by a Mighty Smiter.
  • Anny Roader
  • Here’s to swimming with Darwin's evolved fishes...
« Reply #3633 on: November 26, 2017, 03:06:04 pm »
He’s lost that magic. Offers as much as a 44 year old Robbie Fowler now. Give him the ball in the box and he will get a shot away. But that’s all he offers.
Shame because a few years back he was awesome.
Defenders know this as well now. They defend against him differently now.
Not the best walking advert for Intelligent Design.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3634 on: November 28, 2017, 07:55:43 pm »
No sense in letting him go. If Firmino gets injured then who will play? Mane or Salah could potentially but we're pretty thin on the ground for strikers. Ings and Solanke aren't quite at the required level consistently at present.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #3635 on: November 29, 2017, 02:25:14 am »
Watching him yesterday and I couldn't help but think 'this guy would kill it in Italy or France'. Heck if he couldn't get moves there then he'd add some glamor to the MLS alongside Giovinco.

He would kill it in Italy for sure.

Not too late for him to wait another 2 seasons and go. He's not going to get any slower when he's 34, and he's only just turned 28.

He’s lost that magic. Offers as much as a 44 year old Robbie Fowler now. Give him the ball in the box and he will get a shot away. But that’s all he offers.
Shame because a few years back he was awesome.
Defenders know this as well now. They defend against him differently now.

Yeah.. that's both disrespectful and probably not accurate. It's also a bizarre put down of all the fox in the box type strikers over the years - which Sturridge isn't.

Sturridge is a ridiculously technical player that could offer a lot more in the buildup, if the system allowed him to do it. But I think he's still stuck in a pure goalscorer's mind frame and doesn't get that he's not going to be as effective if he doesn't diversify his game.

As for the last line, they defend against him differently because he's lost his pace. It's not rocket science.

Offline Salahs Left Peg

• Boys Pen
  • Those were the days my friend
« Reply #3636 on: December 1, 2017, 04:26:05 pm »
Can do much worse than having an England international on the bench in those games were we are struggling to break teams down. Sturridge is undoubtedly frustrated and I get that but so was we when we needed him a few seasons ago and he kept breaking down.
I've been through the desert on a horse with no name

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3637 on: December 1, 2017, 05:14:56 pm »
Sell him to Southampton. Might help with VVD deal.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3638 on: December 2, 2017, 07:14:23 am »
Since he scored in back to back games against Huddersfield and Maribor he's only played a total of 24 minutes across the next 5 games. Must be so frustrating for him, he'll have wanted to kick on and turn those goals into a good run of form. If you're him right now you've got to be thinking of a move, no way he gets into the England World Cup squad if he remains this far out of the picture.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3639 on: December 2, 2017, 07:37:48 am »
I think definitely we will see more of him in this month fixture pile up. And hoping he bangs in a few too.

That is if he stays fit enough and dont push his way out. We still need him around for depth if any Bobby,Mane and egyptian messi breaks down. 

Him and Solanke to fight it out depending on how the game is progressing. Maybe in some fixtures Danny would be a better choice than Solanke.