Author Topic: Adam Lallana  (Read 586673 times)

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
Re: Adam Lallana
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2016, 04:04:24 pm »
Press speculation that Pochettino wants him. On the face of it he seems like an ideal fit for Spurs but now that he has showed some real form and can create from very little why would we give Pochettino the reward.

We are not a selling club. Torres, Suarez and Sterling wanted to go. Not for sale I hope.
It's a story from the rag, not the press.

It's bollocks.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2016, 04:04:44 pm »
It's a story from the rag, not the press.

It's bollocks.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2016, 03:23:05 pm »
The 'famous' player he's most obviously similar is Iniesta (whose a better off the ball and worse on the ball player than general perception) - has a very similar numbers profile does a similar job for the team; although Adam has better key pass / shots numbers these days.
Those headline stats don't measure stuff like pressing / closing down space etc - these stats are coming/being developed (exciting if you're a nerd) so it's harder to measure but the 'eye test' tells you pretty quickly how good he is at it.
There aren't that many people that can affect the game off the ball while still producing something decent if not world beating in the final third - that combination actually makes him pretty 'prized' in the modern game

He doesn't really play in a comparable position or team to Iniesta, and very few do. Iniesta's one of those players whose greatness falls outside of the scope of current statistical analysis, for the most part. Lallana having greater key pass numbers isn't really relevant either, given how deep Iniesta plays nowadays.

Lallana's end product needs improving. We can definitely find players in the market who have a better goal contribution than him, and I daresay a better contribution to the team. We've been doing well on the attacking front since January (thanks to Firmino, then Coutinho, Origi, Milner and Sturridge) but it's not perfect by any means and Lallana's relative profligacy is one of the causes of that. He's a great squad player for a league chasing team.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2016, 04:00:11 pm »
He doesn't really play in a comparable position or team to Iniesta, and very few do. Iniesta's one of those players whose greatness falls outside of the scope of current statistical analysis, for the most part. Lallana having greater key pass numbers isn't really relevant either, given how deep Iniesta plays nowadays.

Lallana's end product needs improving. We can definitely find players in the market who have a better goal contribution than him, and I daresay a better contribution to the team. We've been doing well on the attacking front since January (thanks to Firmino, then Coutinho, Origi, Milner and Sturridge) but it's not perfect by any means and Lallana's relative profligacy is one of the causes of that. He's a great squad player for a league chasing team.

It won't surprise you to know that we disagree on your first paragraph - the' Ineista's greatness can't be measured in numbers' is something I fundamentally disagree with if you're talking about his on the ball actions. There's nothing magical or better about one person's passes or shots because he's had an amazing peak some years ago. It happens with most great players that they're over rated in their decline
But anyway this is about Lallana - I largely agree with your conclusion on him. I sort of disagree with criticism of his end product because he's asked to do a ton of leg work in our set up - but agree he's upgradeable depending on the composition of the team.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2016, 04:00:40 pm »
So Lallana hasn’t contributed to the better attacking form since January but Milner, Origi, Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge have? How did you work that out then?

Since January 1st

Goals   assists   total
Firmino            9           4            13
Coutinho          3          2             5
Origi                  4          1             5
Milner                3         8            11
Sturridge          6          1              7
Lallana               4        3              7

Lallana just created a clear-cut chance for Sturridge - he's created 8 in the PL this season, only Firmino & Coutinho (9) have more for LFC
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2016, 04:08:07 pm »
It will be interesting to see how our attacking mix looks next season. Will Benteke stay, for one? And Pearce and Joyce are both saying we're after Gotze in the papers today. We love stockpiling similarly skilled players it seems. Lallana certainly seems entrenched in Klopp's plans, no matter what.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2016, 04:10:53 pm »
It will be interesting to see how our attacking mix looks next season. Will Benteke stay, for one? And Pearce and Joyce are both saying we're after Gotze in the papers today. We love stockpiling similarly skilled players it seems. Lallana certainly seems entrenched in Klopp's plans, no matter what.
I think that both Klopp and FSG would be interested in streamlined squads. I also think Klopp will want to sign a pacy winger since he has criticised the squad's lack of wingers before. Hence, if we are to sign Gotze, I think someone from attacking midfield positions will probably leave. I don't know who that will be.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2016, 04:14:26 pm »
I think that both Klopp and FSG would be interested in streamlined squads. I also think Klopp will want to sign a pacy winger since he has criticised the squad's lack of wingers before. Hence, if we are to sign Gotze, I think someone from attacking midfield positions will probably leave. I don't know who that will be.
Out of interest, what makes you think Klopp likes a streamlined squad considering he recalled all our loan players shortly after arriving?

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 12, 2016, 04:19:31 pm »
Out of interest, what makes you think Klopp likes a streamlined squad considering he recalled all our loan players shortly after arriving?
I going by the slim squad he had at Dortmund. In case of FSG, I'm thinking in terms of money.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2016, 04:22:20 pm »
I going by the slim squad he had at Dortmund. In case of FSG, I'm thinking in terms of money.
I'm not sure how comparable that is. The Premier League is more competitive than Germany and we play more games. Couple this with Klopp's aggressive style I think we will need a big squad if we're going to compete on multiple fronts.

I think a lot will depend on whether we qualify for Europe though.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2016, 04:27:16 pm »
Subdued performance from Lallalallalalalalalalalalalalalanagogogoch last nogh. Think he'll be rested on Sunday in preparation for next Wednesday.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2016, 04:29:52 pm »
It won't surprise you to know that we disagree on your first paragraph - the' Ineista's greatness can't be measured in numbers' is something I fundamentally disagree with if you're talking about his on the ball actions. There's nothing magical or better about one person's passes or shots because he's had an amazing peak some years ago. It happens with most great players that they're over rated in their decline
But anyway this is about Lallana - I largely agree with your conclusion on him. I sort of disagree with criticism of his end product because he's asked to do a ton of leg work in our set up - but agree he's upgradeable depending on the composition of the team.
To be honest Jack, a lot of people (see Gibbons, Funky :D) hate opposing viewpoints but I relish them, it's how we learn. So I really don't mind you disagreeing with my viewpoint on Iniesta. He doesn't play as an attacking midfielder anymore, for the last two seasons he's definitely been a pure centre-mid, taking on near-enough the old Xavi role and much more defensive responsibility, so I find comparing him to Lallana (a final third player) is a bit unfair. On top of that, Iniesta post 2011, maybe this year less so, has had weaker regular seasons (due to age, personal issues - wife's miscarriage, dysfunctional and changing Barca dynamics post-Pep, burnout) and then really turned it up during the closing stages of the season. I've never hidden my view on that, and at times even argued that he's Barca's most replaceable player. But his contribution to the team in vital matches is something that's never dimmed. And without taking it to quasi-philosophical discussions about how stats influence our viewpoints of the game, Iniesta can and does play outstanding games (on an objective, not stylistic or nostalgic level) and be ordinary statistically. Maybe we don't use the right stats or have them yet. Maybe my objective take isn't so objective. Nowadays, with Barca's chance creation primarily from their attack, and Iniesta playing largely a support role, his shots/chances numbers will be even more ordinary, but much of the midfield domination he and Busquets dictate isn't really quantified by headline stats, or aided by Barca's complacent style of play this year.

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2016, 04:35:29 pm »
So Lallana hasn’t contributed to the better attacking form since January but Milner, Origi, Firmino, Coutinho and Sturridge have? How did you work that out then?

Since January 1st

Goals   assists   total
Firmino            9           4            13
Coutinho          3          2             5
Origi                  4          1             5
Milner                3         8            11
Sturridge          6          1              7
Lallana               4        3              7

Lallana just created a clear-cut chance for Sturridge - he's created 8 in the PL this season, only Firmino & Coutinho (9) have more for LFC

Is that league only? Seems like it, and benefits Lallana a lot. Regardless, it doesn't factor in minutes played, or positions. And it's not like I'm not critical of Coutinho's relative lack of consistency in his end product either. On top of that, comparing him to just our other players isn't really fair. Compare him to those in the league around him. Look at his key passes and shots per game, rather than goals and assists. They'll give a better indication of whether his numbers are repeatable or not. The truth is that he has been good for us this year but we can also upgrade.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2016, 06:08:05 pm »
To be honest Jack, a lot of people (see Gibbons, Funky :D) hate opposing viewpoints
Err thats not true is it, I haven't shown any hate towards a different viewpoint.

I've questioned your statement that a player hasn't contributed as much as others and shown that he has.
Is that league only? Seems like it, and benefits Lallana a lot. Regardless, it doesn't factor in minutes played, or positions. And it's not like I'm not critical of Coutinho's relative lack of consistency in his end product either. On top of that, comparing him to just our other players isn't really fair. Compare him to those in the league around him. Look at his key passes and shots per game, rather than goals and assists. They'll give a better indication of whether his numbers are repeatable or not. The truth is that he has been good for us this year but we can also upgrade.
I didn't factor in minutes or other players because you never mentioned them, I only compared him to the players you mentioned.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #94 on: May 12, 2016, 06:10:36 pm »
To be honest Jack, a lot of people (see Gibbons, Funky :D) hate opposing viewpoints but I relish them, it's how we learn. So I really don't mind you disagreeing with my viewpoint on Iniesta. He doesn't play as an attacking midfielder anymore, for the last two seasons he's definitely been a pure centre-mid, taking on near-enough the old Xavi role and much more defensive responsibility, so I find comparing him to Lallana (a final third player) is a bit unfair. On top of that, Iniesta post 2011, maybe this year less so, has had weaker regular seasons (due to age, personal issues - wife's miscarriage, dysfunctional and changing Barca dynamics post-Pep, burnout) and then really turned it up during the closing stages of the season. I've never hidden my view on that, and at times even argued that he's Barca's most replaceable player. But his contribution to the team in vital matches is something that's never dimmed. And without taking it to quasi-philosophical discussions about how stats influence our viewpoints of the game, Iniesta can and does play outstanding games (on an objective, not stylistic or nostalgic level) and be ordinary statistically. Maybe we don't use the right stats or have them yet. Maybe my objective take isn't so objective. Nowadays, with Barca's chance creation primarily from their attack, and Iniesta playing largely a support role, his shots/chances numbers will be even more ordinary, but much of the midfield domination he and Busquets dictate isn't really quantified by headline stats, or aided by Barca's complacent style of play this year.

Cool.
I think our disagreement is over how we see Lallana not how we see iniesta - Lallana is playing a deeper role or at least a more faciliting role than your 'final third' description

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: May 12, 2016, 06:11:59 pm »
Well if we get Gotze then he'll be taking Adam's place in the team.  Won't be a bad back up for the likes of Phil, Bob and Mario.  :D

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2016, 06:19:37 pm »

Depends on the next week. If we're out of Europe next season that means less of a squad than if we're in it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2016, 06:35:29 pm »
We need to improve on him even marginally in the first team, but we also need to keep him since great back-ups are essential to winning leagues. Bump his contract, give him extra Klopp hugs, whatever, he needs to stay and not go to Tottenham.
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2016, 06:04:35 am »
Depends on the next week. If we're out of Europe next season that means less of a squad than if we're in it.

So when you say Klopp likes a streamlined squad, you mean you like a streamlined squad? ;D

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2016, 06:30:12 am »
So when you say Klopp likes a streamlined squad, you mean you like a streamlined squad? ;D
Well everybody claims to know Klopp inside out so why not? ;D
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2016, 06:55:37 am »
Well everybody claims to know Klopp inside out so why not? ;D

Surprise twist: Bitter Mug is Klopp.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2016, 09:56:44 am »
I highly doubt he's going anywhere, he seems to have Klopp's trust and has been really good in the last 6 months. Can he be improved on? Yes but I'd keep him because we need a squad, which we should have learned this year even we had practically the entire team on the physio table at one stage or another.

IMO we won't sell many this season bar a few obvious players and we'll see 5 players maximum coming in. I think as a squad we've had far too many turnovers over the last few seasons, and it's shown in our league finishes.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2016, 03:02:36 am »
Surprise twist: Bitter Mug is Klopp.
Our Jurgen is miles away from being a bitter, mug.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2016, 01:13:54 pm »
It's good that Adam has shown some good form, we have needed it.

But i'm sure Klopp is looking to upgrade, this summer, Klopp recognises his qualities but these qualities will only take you so far.  Klopp picking him in most of the big games doesn't prove that he is a long term starter, as Klopp also starts moreno and mignolet in most games, but i'm sure he is looking to upgrade them also.

I see Adam more like Park Ji sung than iniesta.  In big games against teams that might try to play a bit of football, his ball retention and pressing might be helpful, but against the bread and butter ( of which their will be more next year, trying to follow Leicester's blue print of low risk, direct football) you need more pace, power and goals than what adam seems to offer.

I feel some are going a little overboard praising Adam's more than useful contribution this year, I see posts talking about him being player of the season, if that's the case, that is a good explanation, why we are 8th.  I'd prefer if we didn't sell, but if a sale could fund improvements elsewhere I'd understand.  IF we do sell don't expect any blockbuster bids from any european superpower, which again tells you something

Offline Gene

• Severe Tropical Cyclone (RSMC Nadi designation:12F JTWC designation:15P)
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2016, 10:36:06 am »
Don't see him going anywhere, and this exchange highlights that. Thought this was a hilarious exchange.

Adam Lallana is mid-sentence discussing Liverpool’s journey to the brink of European glory under Jurgen Klopp when the interview is gate-crashed.

His manager appears at the locked balcony door outside of an upstairs Melwood meeting room, gesturing to be allowed in to say his piece.

“What are you doing here?” Klopp asked.

“Speaking about you!” Lallana said.

“Ask him if he knows when Spurs start pre-season training?” Klopp joked in a reference to recent speculation linking the England international with a summer move to White Hart Lane.

“Too late, we have already spoken about that,” Lallana responded.

“I asked him and he said July 1,” Klopp said before descending into laughter.

“I thought you were being serious,” Lallana insisted.

“Are you crazy!” Klopp added before heading back out the door.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lallana-would-want-leave-liverpool-11341580

Futhermore, Klopp is amazing.
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2016, 10:55:43 am »
Don't see him going anywhere, and this exchange highlights that. Thought this was a hilarious exchange.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lallana-would-want-leave-liverpool-11341580

Lallana is everything Klopp wants in a player.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2016, 11:11:12 am »

Lallana has been on the wrong end of a Klopp tongue-lashing from the touchline but insists within the confines of the dressing room the boss rarely loses his rag.

“He was screaming at me during the Chelsea game last week but he screams so much on the day of a game that you’ve got to take it with a pinch of salt really,” he said.

“You definitely can’t take it personally, that’s just him. He was shouting at me to be more compact.

I imagine it was something along the lines of, "MOVE THE BALL FORWARD YOU STUPID FUCKING C**T!!!!"

I love Klopp.  ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2016, 11:12:12 am »
Interesting reading this thread. In terms of pure numbers, maybe Lallana hasn't been quite as effective as you might expect from a player of his price in his position. That said, it's clear that the manager thinks very highly of him and there is always room for him to improve. If the rumours about Götze are true (and here's hoping) then I think we might see Coutinho dropping deeper or Firmino further forward. I don't think we'll see Lallana out of the team - and I'm fine with that.

What would be interesting is if we were to bring in another striker, maybe to replace Benteke. Then we would have 4 ostensibly attacking positions to be filled by Sturridge, Origi, Ings, new striker, Coutinho, Firmino, Götze, Lallana and (possibly) Milner - not to mention Ibe or Ojo, both of whom could legitimately claim the chance to be pushing for a place next season. I think really a lot depends on how we do tomorrow night; the CL football as squad like that is manageable, but with only 3 competitions we'd be pushing it a little.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2016, 11:19:12 am »
For some reason, this bit in the Guardian interview really made me laugh:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/16/adam-lallana-liverpool-jurgen-klopp-europa-league-sevilla

Klopp and Lallana are next-door neighbours in Formby, where the Liverpool manager has taken up residence in Rodgers’ former home. A little awkward, surely? “It is nice actually,” Lallana says. “He has got a nice family, nice kids and I see him walking the dogs. One time I was taking my little boy up for a bath and when we got to the landing we saw him [Klopp] taking out the bins so I put my lad on the balcony and he was shouting, ‘Klopp, Klopp’ and giving it the fist-pump celebration. He just looked at him and gave him a wave.”

Just the idea of Jurgen taking the bins out and Lallana's little lad going mental on the windowsill fist-pumping....

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2016, 11:22:27 am »

I imagine it was something along the lines of, "MOVE THE BALL FORWARD YOU STUPID FUCKING C**T!!!!"

I love Klopp.  ;D

"STOP RUNNING IN CIRCLES!"
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: May 17, 2016, 11:27:28 am »
My nephew did his Windows and due to an admin cock-up walked in on Lallana in bed with

his baby :)

I've got a photo somewhere of him and Adam!

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 17, 2016, 11:38:47 am »

I hope no one leaves and we sign Gotze. That's a great attacking squad for next season - against a defensive team play Coutinho, Gotze, Firmino, Sturridge. Get all the goals in the team. Big away CL game (we'll beat Sevilla obvs), get Lallana and Milner in along with Origi to run them into the ground.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2016, 11:40:26 am »
I highly doubt he's going anywhere, he seems to have Klopp's trust and has been really good in the last 6 months. Can he be improved on? Yes but I'd keep him because we need a squad, which we should have learned this year even we had practically the entire team on the physio table at one stage or another.

IMO we won't sell many this season bar a few obvious players and we'll see 5 players maximum coming in. I think as a squad we've had far too many turnovers over the last few seasons, and it's shown in our league finishes.

Gotze is arguably that upgrade...

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2016, 11:57:17 am »

:lmao
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2016, 12:38:10 pm »
Maybe indifferent or need to see more from him whatever peoples views I think as far as our Europa campaign goes he's been our player of the tournament.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2016, 06:22:16 pm »
A couple of little questions for those not convinced by Lallana's quality.

1. Are you mystified or irritated in any way by Klopp's evident faith in, and obvious enthusiasm for, Lallana? 

2. If you are mystified, are you now beginning to question your own footballing judgment?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2016, 06:29:07 pm »

1. Are you mystified or irritated in any way by Klopp's evident faith in, and obvious enthusiasm for, Lallana? 

2. If you are mystified, are you now beginning to question your own footballing judgment?
I am not mystified nor irritated with Klopp`s faith in Lallana. My gripe is not about Lallana being picked but with the area of the field he`s been asked to play in. My theory is that Lallana would be much better suited to a midfield 3 - a Iniesta role if you will - because his superior technique can give us the edge in any one game, I`d love to see him in that area knitting the play and connecting our CM with our final third.

I feel slightly uncomfortable seeing Lallana or even Allen for that matter spending too much time in opposition box and getting on the end of chances because I don`t think finishing comes natural to them nor do I think they can reach the level of ruthlessness you`d like to see from Liverpool players in the final third.

I think this conversation will be more apt this time next season once Klopp had the chance to bring the likes of Gotze or whoever he plans to bring in and if he still keeps picking Lallana in that front 4 then we better be much better placed than 8th as Lallana is not producing nearly enough in terms of numbers to other 3 guys in our front 4 right now.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:31:40 pm by SerbianScouser »

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2016, 08:21:16 pm »
I hope no one leaves and we sign Gotze. That's a great attacking squad for next season

Can't see Benteke staying.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Lar Salty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2016, 09:58:06 pm »

What is the alternative for Klopp? He's not going to come out and say any player isn't good enough. And who would he play in Lallana's place at the moment? Allen, who is essentially just a smaller, slower, weaker, less technically gifted, even less efficient attacking player? Ibe, the 20 year old in the midst of what can only be described as a horror season? Ojo? Teixeira?

I don't think Lallana is good enough to be a regular starter for a side with title (or even top 4) aspirations, but I don't think anyone has a problem with him starting at this point, given the lack of alternatives. Ultimately he will be replaced. He's too slow and too wasteful not to be replaced. But until then, I don't think Klopp playing him is an indication of anything other than a lack of real quality in our squad at the position he occupies.

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: May 18, 2016, 12:17:40 am »
A couple of little questions for those that were not convinced by Kuyt's quality.

1. Were you mystified or irritated in any way by Rafa Benitez's evident faith in, and obvious enthusiasm for, Kuyt? 

2. If you were mystified, did you then begin to question your own footballing judgment?

Made a few changes especially for you Yorky? We know for almost certain the answer to 1/ is 'yes' as the evidence is well documented inside the walls of this very forum. So the answer to 2/ must be...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 12:20:39 am by liverbnz »
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning