The Liverpool FC Forum > Opinion

Scribes Q&A: Part I of several. Join in!

<< < (2/6) > >>

SMD:
1. Cast your mind back to January 31st. Liverpool have announced that Fernando Torres wants to leave and is about to join Chelsea. News then breaks that Liverpool have had a bid accepted for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll. What were your initial thoughts about us replacing Torres with Carroll?

What the fuck.

What the actual fuck.

I won't lie, I was dumb founded. Not only were we going for Andy Carroll as a replacement for Torres but we bid £30m and they turned it down. And we went back with a bigger bid!

I didn't think Andy Carroll was a bad player. He had a brilliant 6 months up until his injury and he looked a much better talent than when he made his first fleeting appearances in the Premiership. At the time, we all believed in Torres, he just needed to perk up, to be fit and to have proper service. He was still our number 9, we still loved him and we still bounced. We could rationalise him leaving for £50m but to replace him with Carroll in conjunction selling Torres was mind bending.

2. Do you think the £35M price tag is a burden for Liverpool & Carroll?

I think it might be for him because of the media but I don't think we should really think about it. Yes I know there are those who believe in the "£15m below the Torres fee" and those who read it as an absolute but honestly I don't care too much as long as overall our transfers are successful.

3. How would you describe Andy's performances thus far?

Sub par. He's shown flashes...but I wouldn't say of brilliance. Forget the fee, he's just not been able to be an effective player for us.

4. What would you describe as Andy Carroll's strengths and weaknesses?

He's strong. Very strong. his technique isn't bad but for some reason he's been really clumsy and sluggish for us. Is it just fitness?

His weakness is his inability to make something out of nothing. Unfortunately we just haven't provided enough creativity to mask that,

5. Some people say Andy Carroll needs to adapt to Liverpool, others say Liverpool need to adapt to Andy Carroll. Most think it's a bit of both, what are your thoughts?

It doesn't matter who it is, unless they're able to make their own chances like Torres or Suarez, they're going to struggle. So it's in our best interests to make Carroll look good.

6. Finally, how do you see Andy doing for the rest of this season, and looking further forward, his Liverpool career?

He has to succeed, as it means our midfield is doing better and working as a unit. If we become a more creative force, then it all comes down to Andy. And I think he'll be fine if that happens.

Terry de Niro:
1. Cast your mind back to January 31st. Liverpool have announced that Fernando Torres wants to leave and is about to join Chelsea. News then breaks that Liverpool have had a bid accepted for Newcastle striker Andy Carroll. What were your initial thoughts about us replacing Torres with Carroll?

My head was in such a spin at the time, regarding Torres wanting to leave. But once it sunk in and hearing that Carroll was coming in to replace him, plus the fact that we already had Suarez in made it easier for me.

I've never in my years of supporting Liverpool paid much or if any attention to how much we purchase players for.
Considering what we got for Torres, who clearly didn't want to play for us long before Chelsea come calling, £35M is meh to me and I'd like to think that the club, Kenny and Andy think that way too.

A mixed bag to be honest. He's showed what he can do against City last season and Everton this season.
He really needs to find a bit of consistancy now and I believe that he will.

Strengths: He's got a hammer of a left foot on him. He's also shown that he can throw a decent header in if the delivery is right.

Weaknesses: Tends to look a bit clumsy at times.

5. Some people say Andy Carroll needs to adapt to Liverpool, others say Liverpool need to adapt to Andy Carroll. Most think it's a bit of both, what are your thoughts?

Tough one that.
Kenny and his staff have us playing quick pass and move type of football, of which Andy needs to adapt to.
Then again he's proved to me that you don't need to hoof the ball to him because of his height and strength in the air.
The goal last week in the derby proved that to me.

6. Finally, how do you see Andy doing for the rest of this season, and looking further forward, his Liverpool career?

There is no doubt that we haven't seen (consistently) anywhere near the player he was for Newcastle YET.
But I'm sure we will see that soon. The fact that Kenny and his staff still have faith in the lad and are working hard with him will do for me.

Dougle:
1 - I thought (as I followed the chaos via F5 on that evening) that it was a very big price to pay. I also thought that it was FSG making a statement of intent which pleased me. I was very disappointed that Torres left but I have to say that feeling lasted little time as Suarez bedded in and Torres fumbled around. The money FSG squeezed out of Plastics was great.

2 - I think the "price tag" is a very convenient lever for "Sky" pundits and the like to use to stir up trouble for Kenny, Damian etc. It also makes Andy quite an obvious  target for "very witty terrace humour". That can't really help Andy and it clearly irritates Kenny. Conversely it might Andy to "step up and shove the abuse back down the throats from where it came.

3 - performances so far (along with the team in general) a bit patchy. He does seem to be "not clicking" with the fast ball-on - ground style (though he has good touch), neither does he seem to profiting from high ball hoofing and floated crosses. Agree with above that he's whistled up way too much. It seems the prevailing ref attitude is that he's to blame by default. He's been unlucky there as he could already have a couple more goals to his name this season.

4 - strengths, good shot, strong, good heading ability, tough and courageous, good touch, good passer, hard, great defensive asset, disciplined there.
     Weaknesses - that first mental move, gets wound up and liable to annoy refs, he's not yet really made a partnership with any player nor blended into the team style (albeit this is as yet not predictable), not fit and not effective until he's really fit, I don't feel he's settled at Liverpool yet.

5 - I think he's got to do the work on the training ground to make the understanding with the other players. Also he's got to get fit.

6 - He'll get better as he gets fitter and scores more ... it's all mutually beneficial there.

The 5th Benitle:

Positive, given we'd picked up Suarez who, even if he wasn't meant as such, was the real replacement for Torres. Carroll gave us something different, power and strength as well as potential aerial domination.

Sadly, yes. It shouldn't be. It's completely irrelevant in fact, all that matters is how he performs in red. But the detractors - media, even some of our own fans - will always use it as a stick to beat him with whether he does well or badly, which I personally find appalling. Still at least they get the figure right, unlike the morons who still think Hendo cost £20m.

Progressive. He was injured when he started and still isn't fully fit but is showing encouraging signs. On his day, he's an absolute beast, and I think we'll see that soon.

Strengths: Great in the air, piledriver of a left foot. Takes defenders out of play, which gives space to others. Moves much better than most think.
Weaknesses: Not really his fault but his presence tends to mean we lump it up to him. Seems to still lack a bit of confidence. His ponytail.

A bit of both, but it's early days yet. I think the issue is, we have to play a different game when he is on the pitch to the game we play when he isn't. One is prettier, but is it more effective? We'll see when he's firing on all cylinders.

I think he'll have a good season all in all, a slow start leading to regular goals. He'll kick on next season though, he has a lot of improvement in him. It's very sad that people quote one figure (£35m) and very rarely the other (22, his age).

Alf:

I'd been impressed with what I'd seen of Carroll in Championship but he'd taken to the Premier League like a duck to water. While I knew we were paying over the odds. I wasn't concerned because we were selling Torres to Chelsea for more than he was worth due to the timing of the transfer.

I don't think the price tag is the issue it's the fact that Carroll is the most expensive English player therefore everything he does will come under the microscope. However if He's scoring for us regularly nobody will care about that.

Because he was injured when we signed him I had little expectation of Andy Carroll last season and other than the Man City game at Anfield he didn't exceed that. This season I've been impressed with his performances but disappointed with his goal tally although last week at Everton he was barely in the game then popped up and scored.

His strengths are his left foot and his aerial ability. I think his biggest weakness is his failure to impose his big frame at times.

It's a bit of both. I think the more Carroll plays with Downing, Suarez and Gerrard now he's fit the better for us.

I think he'll score at least 15 goals for us this season. Ultimately how Andy Carroll's time at LFC goes will depend on him. He has the talent to be an exceptional servant to the club but it’s whether or not he has the application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version