Author Topic: Liverpool Research & History.  (Read 10143 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Liverpool Research & History.
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2021, 07:03:09 pm »
In my head, the M57 has always been the cut off to the East and for whatever arbitrary reason, I consider Garston Liverpool but not Speke! Yeah people from Skem are not Scousers in my eyes. Kirkby and Knowsley always felt like small towns outside of the City itself to me. Saying that, I've family born in the City but living in Maghull all their lives, they embody my interpretation of Scouser better than anyone I know, probably because they were my main link back to home once we moved South Chester way.

Was a bit of a culture shock to move from the City to a tiny rural village of less than 2,000 people. The High School I was meant to go in Liverpool originally was bigger than that I think!

So Stephen Gerrard (Huyton) and Phil Thompson (Kirkby), two of our many European Cup winning captains aren't Scouse? ;D

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2021, 01:43:31 am »
So Stephen Gerrard (Huyton) and Phil Thompson (Kirkby), two of our many European Cup winning captains aren't Scouse? ;D

For me I’d say similar with the M57, Knowsley expressway as the cut off, so Huyton would be inside that, however some towns clinging to that branch such as Kirby/Knowsley would be included too I reckon. Always thought of inbetween places like Maghull, Rainhill, Cronton as going towards being more ‘wool’, so Skem for me is not even close. Used to work in Ormskirk an felt like I was full on in Lancashire even there, which is not a bad thing by the way  :D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2021, 08:15:40 am »
For me I’d say similar with the M57, Knowsley expressway as the cut off, so Huyton would be inside that, however some towns clinging to that branch such as Kirby/Knowsley would be included too I reckon. Always thought of inbetween places like Maghull, Rainhill, Cronton as going towards being more ‘wool’, so Skem for me is not even close. Used to work in Ormskirk an felt like I was full on in Lancashire even there, which is not a bad thing by the way  :D

Cronyn is definitely outside the Pale, that's where the Lancashire accent starts and immediately after yer into Johnny Vegas territory.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2021, 08:48:41 am »
That mad bit of Huyton next to Whiston where the accent can go from Scouse to George Formby by crossing  the road ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2021, 01:47:47 pm »
Cronyn is definitely outside the Pale, that's where the Lancashire accent starts and immediately after yer into Johnny Vegas territory.

The Pale of Scouselement?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2021, 06:52:20 pm »
That mad bit of Huyton next to Whiston where the accent can go from Scouse to George Formby by crossing  the road ;D

Good mate of mine from Whiston..one of the scousest lads you could ever bump into.
Lads I know who were born and stayed in the likes of Skem, Runcorn & Blundellsands to an extent (where wool behaviour is high) sound scouse with no wool behaviour whatsoever..same with some areas over the water too.
Having said that..they've been given the wool shit forever.  :D
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2021, 07:12:57 pm »
Good mate of mine from Whiston..one of the scousest lads you could ever bump into.
Lads I know who were born and stayed in the likes of Skem, Runcorn & Blundellsands to an extent (where wool behaviour is high) sound scouse with no wool behaviour whatsoever..same with some areas over the water too.

I’d count Whiston as more 90/10 Scouse/wool, Prescot about the same an also Kirby. Cronton, Maghull an Rainhill about 60/40 I reckon, never been to Runcorn much so couldn’t say. Maybe there should be some Woolometer set up for each town village  ;D

I always noticed growing up a some lads who wanted to be seen as Scouse but came from places like Ormskirk, Frodsham, Widnes etc, an would but on an accent stronger than mine, while throwing in the word ‘lad’ around 5 times in each sentence. Always found that a bit odd but obviously they had some link and wanted to feel part of the city/culture.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2021, 11:48:56 am »
I’d count Whiston as more 90/10 Scouse/wool, Prescot about the same an also Kirby. Cronton, Maghull an Rainhill about 60/40 I reckon, never been to Runcorn much so couldn’t say. Maybe there should be some Woolometer set up for each town village  ;D

I always noticed growing up a some lads who wanted to be seen as Scouse but came from places like Ormskirk, Frodsham, Widnes etc, an would but on an accent stronger than mine, while throwing in the word ‘lad’ around 5 times in each sentence. Always found that a bit odd but obviously they had some link and wanted to feel part of the city/culture.
The bolded bit is certainly true - we moved out of the City when I was 11 and moved into that general area of Cheshire, all of a sudden everyone around me was ramping up their accent and straining themselves to appear more 'Scouse.' In a way it's nice that people have an affinity with the City and want to feel part of that culture, but it can be done in a way that isn't pure cringey appropriation, putting on an accent etc. The entirety of Helsby seem to want people to think they're Scousers.

Whiston is indeed weird, everyone does sound either pure Scouse or Lancashire, there's no in between and it's bizarre, a real phenomenological curate's egg.
Huyton is in the City, people from Kirkby I always regarded as Scouse despite them being the other side of the M57, like Andy said above, there's a mix everywhere, my family in Maghull are as Scouse as it gets, though they do come from Norris Green and Sefton mainly.

I like the idea of us whipping up a Woolometer  ;D I tended to find that where I went to College, in Chester, that some of the rougher kids tried putting on a Scouse accent, bad wool beahviour.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2021, 12:52:58 pm »
Huyton is in Knowlsey MBC, not Liverpool, so outside the boundary.

But Bootle is also outside the City boundary and who is more Scouse than Carra?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2021, 01:09:40 pm »
Not sure if this website has been mentioned on here;
https://liverpoolhiddenhistory.co.uk/home/

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2021, 01:12:56 pm »
Huyton is in Knowlsey MBC, not Liverpool, so outside the boundary.

That's what I mean, there's many areas outside of the city boundary but we all consider to be part of the city, and home to scousers, Bootle, Huyton etc being those sort of places.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2021, 08:59:46 pm »

Yan Molby .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2021, 10:10:20 pm »

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2021, 04:00:18 pm »
In my head, the M57 has always been the cut off to the East and for whatever arbitrary reason, I consider Garston Liverpool but not Speke! Yeah people from Skem are not Scousers in my eyes. Kirkby and Knowsley always felt like small towns outside of the City itself to me. Saying that, I've family born in the City but living in Maghull all their lives, they embody my interpretation of Scouser better than anyone I know, probably because they were my main link back to home once we moved South Chester way.

Was a bit of a culture shock to move from the City to a tiny rural village of less than 2,000 people. The High School I was meant to go in Liverpool originally was bigger than that I think!

We moved to Kirkby, (Tower Hill) in 1969 and most of the people on the estate and in the town itself where from the city and had been moved out there as the old houses got flattened. There was my Nan, My Ma, her older sister and husband who were all born and raised in Everton, 3 cousins born in the City, my Dad in Walton, I was born in Walton, our kid in Fazak, my Dads side of the family I can trace back to off Scotty, Green Street which is near the docks and Moorfields, going  as far back as 1841. I think we're Scouse  ;)

I suppose as the generations have changed, the towns like Kirkby are not so much classed as Scouse anymore, but originally the place was filled with people from the City. Skem was then where loads either moved over there from Kirkby or again straight from the city.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 05:23:35 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2021, 05:20:00 pm »
To be fair, I´ve never thought of Kirkby as anything other then Scouse, despite the bin colours. Then again I´m not from the North of the city.

For me Huyton, Bootle, Kirkby, Fazakerley are Scouse. Even Waterloo and Crosby I´d class as an extended Liverpool. Anything else outside that no.

And agreed about people laying it on thicker the further away you get. Although normally there is a few subtle (or not so subtle!) give away´s when you hear them speak.

Funnily enough, my mate was the most militant born-and-bred in Anfield "anyone without a purple bin is a wool" Scouser I know, and now she has moved over to the Wirral and loves it, and now even wants to move to North Wales.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2021, 05:34:07 pm »
...Fazakerley are Scouse.

Surely based on intonation alone, Fazakerley must be Scouse...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2021, 10:39:02 pm »

And long may it continue.
Kill the humourless

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2021, 02:48:18 pm »
I'm Huyton born and bred (Page Moss) and defo consider myself scouse. That said, if you get on the 10A bus and go towards St Helens the accent changes after every bus stop!  ;D

I once got relocated from working in an office in Kirkby to one in St Helens years ago. I was amazed at the welcome pack they gave all staff, it listed the pie shops in the town haha!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2021, 10:50:32 am »
I don´t know if anyone caught this podcast?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/audio/2021/nov/11/british-betrayal-secret-deportations-of-chinese-merchant-sailors-podcast

The files for this have only recently been declassified.

It´s about the disappearance (It turns out the secret-deportation) of thousands of Chinese Merchant Navymen from Liverpool in the aftermath of the Second World War - leaving many fatherless families in the city.

Another horrific episode of racial injustice, against veterans of the war effort no less, of which I had no clue.

Online jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2021, 02:24:25 am »
As long as someone else brought up Liverpool's riches from the slave trade, how many of you knew this?:

In 1946, the Liverpool Constabulary carried out orders from the British government to deport Chinese sailors in Merseyside, many of whom had travelled to England as part of the war effort. They were forcibly repatriated to China.

“More than 1,300 Chinese sailors were put on specially assigned ships and sent to the Far East without notice.”

The wives and children of the men believed they had been deserted. It wasn’t until the release of declassified records 50 years later that it was revealed that more than 1,300 Chinese sailors had been put on specially assigned ships and sent to the Far East without notice.

Now Edge Hill University, working with local community group The Dragons of the Pool, will document the stories of the surviving children of the seamen for the first time.

https://www.heritagefund.org.uk/news/history-lost-chinese-sailors-uncovered#:~:text=In%201946%2C%20the%20Liverpool%20Constabulary,were%20forcibly%20repatriated%20to%20China.&text=The%20wives%20and%20children%20of%20the%20men%20believed%20they%20had%20been%20deserted.

And no one said or heard a fucking thing.

These were my people.

Kill the humourless

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #60 on: December 1, 2021, 11:45:12 am »
I'm Huyton born and bred (Page Moss) and defo consider myself scouse. That said, if you get on the 10A bus and go towards St Helens the accent changes after every bus stop!  ;D

I once got relocated from working in an office in Kirkby to one in St Helens years ago. I was amazed at the welcome pack they gave all staff, it listed the pie shops in the town haha!

Ever been to Thatto Heath ? Not that far from Huyton. But the accent…jeez it’s the thickest Lancs accent you could imagine. So close but so far.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2021, 01:07:40 pm »
Ever been to Thatto Heath ? Not that far from Huyton. But the accent…jeez it’s the thickest Lancs accent you could imagine. So close but so far.

I have, I've bevvied around there a few times, its all 'tin o pop and toffees'.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2021, 03:35:29 pm »
I have, I've bevvied around there a few times, its all 'tin o pop and toffees'.

Thatto Heath, also known as 'Donkey Common'?