Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Wolves v Liverpool, Molineux KO - 3pm 4th Feb  (Read 11119 times)

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
MATCH PREVIEW: Wolves v Liverpool, Molineux KO - 3pm 4th Feb
« on: February 1, 2023, 08:09:53 pm »

Referee: Paul Tierney.
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Marc Perry.
Fourth official: Matt Donohue.
VAR: Lee Mason.
Assistant VAR: Timothy Wood.

Well where to start (probably not with the ref...). I don't think it's much of a stretch to say most are feeling a little bit underwhelmed right now, in fact that's probably a bit of an understatement. There's plenty of chatter around transfers, owners etc elsewhere on the boards so I'll try to avoid that on the whole here and focus purely on the football and the match ahead - although that hardly provides much more cheer either.

Is it me or do we just seem to be playing Wolves and Brighton at the moment? At least we have a recent win against Wolves at Molineux and although it probably doesn't feel like it I think we played better in the first half at Brighton at the weekend than we did in that game. Indeed the first half against Brighton is the best we've played in a while, we were worth more than the one goal and certainly didn't deserve the jammy equaliser - but when things aren't going your way that's often how it works out.

No getting away from the fact the latest injury in a season full of them, is another big blow, with Konate now sidelined, is Matip back yet? If not, at least I don't think he's far away, but it leaves us bare bones again at CB with an inconsistent Gomez and probably Phillips likely to play. Or I suppose Fabinho is another option - who knows perhaps it's the change he needs to regain his form (clutching at straws perhaps but what else is there right now)

Hopefully at least we'll keep the starting midfield three the same as Thiago, Bajcetic & Keita seems to be the best we have at the moment and some improvement in performance has been seen since they've been played together. The problem is we do seem to run out of legs in the second half, and the subs aren't offering enough when swapped in.

I think most would like to see Nunez restored to the starting 11, with Elliott the most likely to make way if this happens. Gakpo has shown some good link up play so far and hopefully his finishing will begin to settle down as he himself does. Clearly Mo isn't at his best at the moment but I think he's always worth an assist or a goal so with current options he doesn't look like being left out.

Thankfully Wolves are in no better form than us, with just one win against West Ham (1-0) since beating Everton on Boxing Day. They don't have any new injury worries to my knowledge, but I'd still like to think this is a team we can beat if we perform as we did in the first half against Brighton. May be a bit much to ask for a third clean sheet in four games with Konate out, but what we really need to do is capitalise on the chances we create - if we'd managed to get a second in the first half v Brighton we may still be in the FA Cup and coming into this in a better mood.

It's difficult to predict what we're going to get each match at the moment but here's hoping for a decent 90 minutes (not just 45), and a positive result ending in 3 points.

Come On Reds let's keep fighting for what we have left to fight for

« Last Edit: February 1, 2023, 08:43:09 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Wolves v Liverpool, Molineux KO - 3pm 4th Feb
« Reply #1 on: February 1, 2023, 08:32:45 pm »
Thanks Duvva and I think you have summarised the uncertainty about how we will perform.

Konate has been our best player recently and will be a big miss. The centre halves will be a concern but who knows.

I think we are slowly improving and I expect a much better performance. I hope Nunez, Gakpo and Salah hit form and if they do I think we will win this comfortably.

However our defence has been erratic to say the least and a new partnership in the centre is a risk.
#JFT97

Online skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 1, 2023, 08:43:40 pm »
Cheers for the write up Duvva.

Our third meeting against Wolves in a month, and if we haven’t had enough of them, we’ll get them again later this season in a rearranged fixture.

We can look at it as the beginning of the second half, and it’s an important fixture to start putting a disappointing January behind us.  We’re not out of the top 4 race and we have Real coming up.

Need to start going on a run again and stay within distance of our goals (CL run, top 4) while our injured stars recover.

Wolves have been uninspiring all season, but these are the types of fixtures non-elite teams (like us) struggle to put away.  Much has been made of our early goals conceded and our poor defensive record.  With VVD and Konate out, it’s another test but also an opportunity for Gomez and Matip.  If we continue to look shaky against a less than prolific Wolves side, it’s not a good start for our second half.  I look for us to shore up at the back here.  It’s very difficult to go on a run or deep in the CL if we continue to be poor defensively.
King Kenny.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 1, 2023, 09:04:59 pm »
Do we only play Brighton and Wolves these days? Feel like I’m in the Matrix.

Another L.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 1, 2023, 09:06:04 pm »
Has a dull 0-0 written all over it.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2023, 09:13:51 pm »
Completely forgot we play football games last couple of days.

This could be anything. God knows. Up the reds.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 1, 2023, 09:46:29 pm »

Another L.

Get out. You’re the only L round here ;)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #7 on: February 1, 2023, 09:48:24 pm »
This is where the fun begins. This is where our run of wins begins.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #8 on: February 1, 2023, 09:50:43 pm »
nicely summed up duvva.
Hoping for the best here, we did improve against Brighton, unlucky to lose at the death. Konate is a big blow, was our best player in that game... but the team seems to be trying to harden the dfense, not getting sucked in up top allowing a counter, hope this continues here.. A clean sheet would be great, and nunez and Salah to come alive...
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #9 on: February 1, 2023, 10:07:12 pm »
I'd expect a similar level from us to the FA Cup replay, hopefully with Nunez starting more of a cutting edge.

Wolves will be a stronger prospect than that night though with some new signings and less fringe players selected. Konate out a miss. I doubt they'll park the bus like they did last season in this fixture as they'll see us there for the taking.

Tighten up at set plays, don't give them any easy counters or silly giveaways in possession and take our chances when we get them..
« Last Edit: February 1, 2023, 10:10:25 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: February 1, 2023, 10:07:57 pm »
Well after suffering through deadline day it's good to get back to the enjoyable part of football

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #11 on: February 2, 2023, 12:02:59 am »

Another L.

Gakpo must think these are the only two we ever play  ;D

3-1 Wolves
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #12 on: February 2, 2023, 06:17:25 am »
here we go again  :butt

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #13 on: February 2, 2023, 07:08:36 am »
I'll take a scruffy 1-0 please. We need to start building some momentum. Time for Mo to step up.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 2, 2023, 07:19:02 am »
Well after suffering through deadline day it's good to get back to the enjoyable part of football

There's an enjoyable part?

Seriously though seeing as we narrowly beat these away recently I'm predicting similar.  2-1.  Mo and Nunez.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #15 on: February 2, 2023, 07:26:28 am »
I predict Fabinho is going to be placed as a centre-back. Moving him deeper, Klopp could free him up from the heavier need to get around the pitch further.

With more protection from another defensive midfielder, maybe Klopp could use all Fabinho's best attributes without leaving him exposed.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #16 on: February 2, 2023, 08:57:26 am »

Might as well start the game 3-0 down.

If Matip is still not fit it will probably be Nat Phillips alongside Gomez

Midfield and strikers pick themselves (Thiago, Bajcetic, Keita, Gakpo, Nunez, Salah). Fabinho should be nowhere near that team. Elliott a good option to come off the bench.

Stability has to be key. The days of expecting the 'old Liverpool' to come back are long gone. To be fair if we go the full 90 and string together 5 forward passes in a row, I would see that as progress.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 2, 2023, 09:28:09 am »

This is very much the wrong week to give up sniffing glue.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 2, 2023, 09:30:35 am »
Get out. You’re the only L round here ;)

:D

Fight me Duvva.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #19 on: February 2, 2023, 09:35:46 am »
Can we start Nunez as the 9 please !!!

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 2, 2023, 09:37:57 am »
If we can't win these next 2 in the league then the crisis is even worse than we'd imagined. Really hope we can sneak some wins here and there and grab a Europa spot.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 2, 2023, 09:50:43 am »
Going to be a tough watch this.

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 2, 2023, 10:02:47 am »
Up the reds, cannot just support when the going is good.

Hope to not lose, anything else is a bonus, which is a sorry state of affairs but injuries and uncertainty have indeed wrecked the season.
- all in my opinion of course -

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 2, 2023, 10:17:26 am »
:D

Fight me Duvva.
I’m a lover not a fighter, man

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: February 2, 2023, 10:21:58 am »
Up the reds, cannot just support when the going is good.

Hope to not lose, anything else is a bonus, which is a sorry state of affairs but injuries and uncertainty have indeed wrecked the season.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: February 2, 2023, 10:22:47 am »
We'll win this Saturday.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 2, 2023, 10:27:07 am »
Another match not on TV, which is good.

Online harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #27 on: February 2, 2023, 12:16:48 pm »
Just Play Nunez as a No 9 and Gakpo on the left please.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 2, 2023, 12:54:16 pm »
I predict Fabinho is going to be placed as a centre-back. Moving him deeper, Klopp could free him up from the heavier need to get around the pitch further.

With more protection from another defensive midfielder, maybe Klopp could use all Fabinho's best attributes without leaving him exposed.

Why would we play Fabinho at centre back ahead of Gomez and Matip?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #29 on: February 2, 2023, 12:55:09 pm »
Why would we play Fabinho at centre back ahead of Gomez and Matip?

Is Matip fit?

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 2, 2023, 12:55:58 pm »
Ffs, another game. Can’t we have an international break or something.

Offline Penfold78

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: February 2, 2023, 01:08:28 pm »
Thought Wolves were terrible when we beat them last time and it flattered us. We took that pomped-up aura into the next game and then got reminded of where we truly are. If we beat Wolves again, remember not to get ahead of ourselves.

Klopp said something very useful last week. He’s never been as good as some people reckoned and isn’t as bad now as some people say. I’d apply that to our team too. We relied on a slice of luck for each of our trophies over recent years and we didn’t steam roller teams week in week out. We ground out some games, even during peak Salah. What we lack nowadays is the trust between team mates and the collective desire. If we can show these qualities on Saturday that’ll be good enough for me, that’s a good enough foundation to build on.

The injury issue needs a proper investigation. This is beyond coincidence. Gomez and Nat should be okay versus this lot as long as our No6 has a decent game. I’d expect Bajcetic to start. Out wide I’d keep Trent on the bench, harsh but the kid needs some reflection time. I’d like to see more experiments with youth. We’ve got to Arsenal our way of this, not panic buy 29+ year olds. If half the transfer rumours are true we’re soon going to be fielding a 1960s coffee machine Klopp found on eBay alongside a knock-off hot tub and a Paul Smith office shirt.

Salah needs to start things off with an early goal.

I’m enjoying this season perversely, I’ve been a supporter since 1987, known worse, understand the tidal nature of success. Up the reds.

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 2, 2023, 01:11:34 pm »
Is Matip fit?

He's been in the squad for a number of weeks3so should be, unless there has been an injury since the weekend.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #33 on: February 2, 2023, 01:27:02 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for being as objective as is possible Duvva! Can’t argue with the selection. They were poor when we drew and beat them so must be a chance to get a win under our belts before the Derby. Will look forward with some trepidation!
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 2, 2023, 01:38:10 pm »
He's been in the squad for a number of weeks3so should be, unless there has been an injury since the weekend.
You are indeed correct he’s been on the bench the last few games. I must have missed it in all the recent excitement. Still that’s a big plus given the Konate injury. I know Joel like most hasn’t been at his best this season but he’s generally a high quality player. I feel better about our chances already 7-0

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #35 on: February 2, 2023, 01:40:25 pm »
3-1 Liverpool!

I can see our results picking up from now till the end of the season.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 2, 2023, 01:49:01 pm »
3 points, we desperately need them

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 2, 2023, 03:30:43 pm »

Our new coach looks like he knows a thing or two.. He's brought some good luck it seems

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #38 on: February 2, 2023, 03:31:40 pm »
Until the subs we were a lot better against Brighton

I think with Nunez back in the 11 and a similar performance we will win.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: February 2, 2023, 03:36:14 pm »
Sight for sore eyes those two back in some form of training