Author Topic: Littlewoods Building  (Read 5013 times)

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
Littlewoods Building
« on: November 6, 2005, 01:17:32 pm »
Art deco icon looking up

Nov 4 2005

By Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

Urban Splash is planning apartments, a hotel, offices, bars and a public square at Littlewoods' former HQ on Edge Lane

THIS is the first picture of how Liverpool's art deco Littlewoods building will look after a £48m rebuild.

It includes a sparkling new glass structure on top of the white building's clock tower, overlooking the city centre.

The landmark structure's west wing will be converted by developer Urban Splash into apartments, aimed at young first and second-time buyers.

The more rundown east wing will be demolished to make way for a hotel, offices, bars and public square, linked to Liverpool science park.

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

However, the iconic "bookend" frontage will be kept and restored to its former glory.

It is hoped the refurbished building will be ready to throw open its doors during 2008.

Bill Maynard, director of Urban Splash, said: "We have followed the fortunes of the Littlewoods building for 10 years.

"It is a magnificent building with an enormous presence on the brow of a hill and great views across the city.

"The west wing, which overlooks the botanic park, is still a fabulous building, but the east wing is much poorer quality and single-storey.

"We will keep the shell of the west wing and convert it into apartments.

"We will keep the two bookends, but we will redevelop behind the eastern one with a new hotel, offices and more apartments.

"It will bring life to the area and we see it as a 'digital village' where young professionals can live and start small businesses."

The use of the new glass floor on the clock tower - to be named the Sky Tower - has yet to be decided.

Mr Maynard added: "It could be a bar, restaurant, communal living space or apartments, but at the very least it will add a bit of sparkle."

The building was constructed in 1938 by John and Cecil Moores to house their pools business, and was a classic example of the art deco "ocean liner" style.

Antiques dealer Wayne Colquhoun launched an unsuccessful attempt to have it listed two years ago, which would have limited how it could be developed.

Story continues Continue story
ADVERTISEMENT

He said: "I had hoped to see a more ambitious idea than apartments. If we are not careful, the whole of Liverpool will be flats, hotels and bars.

"I do not like the idea of demolishing part of the building - I think its integrity should be respected."

Link

Bout fuckin time, shit pit that place.....

Looks quite swanky and that "Urban Splash" have done some boss gaffs in town in recent years, looks good.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:19:52 am by John C »

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
Re: Littlewoods Building all "Art deco"
« Reply #1 on: November 6, 2005, 04:09:03 pm »
Bill Maynard, director of Urban Splash, said: "We have followed the fortunes of the Littlewoods building for 10 years.

Thought he was dead?! ;)

Should look better than a lot of buildings on the main route into town from the motorway.
We are a team of one half.

Offline ewok-red

• Anarchist, potentially violent but lacks bottle.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 7, 2005, 10:32:18 am »
yes looks good, and they did a nice job on the matchworks in speke / garston
"the music isn't here to save the world, its there to save your life"  - skip jones, in 'stories we could tell' tony parsons, harper collins / qpd

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #3 on: November 9, 2005, 03:42:51 pm »
Hmm wonder if they will be selling off plan...
Never give up

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 9, 2005, 03:43:51 pm »
looks lovely :)
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 9, 2005, 06:03:52 pm »
I'm glad it's being preserved, but at the same time sad so much is going, cos me grandad worked in that building for 30 years. That's where me stamp collection came from when I was a kid, all the people sending their coupons in from all around the world.... that's where he had a share  in the office season ticket & so I always think it's a bit thanks to Littlewoods that I'm as much of a Red as I am ....

« Last Edit: November 9, 2005, 06:26:55 pm by nige »

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
  • fiends,romans and fuck off everton!!
« Reply #6 on: November 9, 2005, 10:12:11 pm »
I used to live around the corner from there and I've always been impressed by the building,it reminds me of something from Gotham city.
1st IS 1st, 2nd IS NOWHERE.
NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE.
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 07:33:03 pm »
I dellivered the papers there nice to see it being used wonder what happened to the dogs home next to littlewoods
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 09:54:14 pm »
I worked there for 3 years before it closed and we all moved to Whiston.I was one of the last to be moved out and spent the last two weeks mooching around all the areas of the building that hadn't been used for years.There were areas on the first floor that were unsafe and nothing heavy could be stored there in case it fell through the ceiling and onto the staff below!!
  Other areas had been cordoned off due to the presence of asbestos.The place was mad in that one room led to another giving the impression it should have looked much bigger from the outside.I found some womens bogs that probably hadn't been used for 20 odd years.There were about 30 cubicles in a line and I could just imagine them all sitting there with their drawers around their ankles cackling to each other! Sadly it just brought it home how many people were employed there when the pools were in their heyday.
   Also climed a couple of rickety old ladders up into the clocktower and that was a bit scary.One of the lads told me when he was on nights he would go up there of a night and watch the kids coming out of Reds and going straight to the park for a shag.If you were one of them you were being watched!
  Made up they are renovating the building.

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
  • fiends,romans and fuck off everton!!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 10:57:22 pm »
Shit. Collared.
1st IS 1st, 2nd IS NOWHERE.
NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE.
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 11:37:42 pm »
Great idea. I'm lookin on gettin me own gaff in the next year or so, and would love to go back to me spiritual home of Kenny.

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 01:09:08 am »
Great idea. I'm lookin on gettin me own gaff in the next year or so, and would love to go back to me spiritual home of Kenny.

dunno if its bein classed as L7 mate?

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 12:22:46 pm »
dunno if its bein classed as L7 mate?

It is in Kenny though, no matter what they say. Of course they'll try and distance themselves from L7 to make it more attractive to the suits though.

Offline tezmac

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 07:49:40 pm »
Used to deliver papers to the two building,s as a lad great to see it being saved will look good finished
In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Littlewoods elstree of the north
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2016, 06:18:26 pm »
Read about this ages ago and thought it may just be a bit of a pie in the sky idea but looks like it may be coming to fruition . The old art deco littlewoods building on edge lane is set to become a huge film studios , just secured £5 million of funding from local councils . Drove past this morning and the hoardings around now have a website advertised http://littlewoodsfilmstudios.com though it appears to be just a page at the moment with no info . More here in the echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/5m-funding-littlewoods-studios-project-11621528

Online Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Littlewoods up in flames
« Reply #15 on: September 2, 2018, 10:14:57 pm »
So sad after finally getting what seemed a settled future.

https://twitter.com/YouFromTheEcho/status/1036347494999969796
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Littlewood's up in flames
« Reply #16 on: September 2, 2018, 10:17:42 pm »
Heartbreaking.  :'( But the lack of care it's received in recent years means I'm not surprised.

Can only hope there is something salvageable. Would hate to see it bulldozed for a Tesco extra. Or student flats.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: September 2, 2018, 10:48:08 pm »
Heartbreaking.  :'( But the lack of care it's received in recent years means I'm not surprised.

Can only hope there is something salvageable. Would hate to see it bulldozed for a Tesco extra. Or student flats.

My money is on a huge student devolment complex it’s the perfect location for it. Big joe will be rubbing  his hands

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Littlewoods up in flames
« Reply #18 on: September 2, 2018, 11:31:23 pm »
Gutted when I just heard this  as the development planned looked pretty good and possibly achievable . I do think the proposed studios by twickenham will go ahead , but in purpose built modern studio rather than the refurbed plans for the art deco building . The cynic in me thinks its possibly a cost effective  to developers to build new rather than restore .

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 2, 2018, 11:45:38 pm »
The cynic in me thinks its possibly a cost effective  to developers to build new rather than restore .

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #20 on: September 3, 2018, 12:29:18 am »
Can smell it burning from ours in town. Definitely dodgy, this.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #21 on: September 3, 2018, 08:00:33 am »
It was sad to watch, the place has been lying empty for 15 years and yet on a quiet Sunday evening it suddenly goes up in smoke.

From what the fire brigade have said though they managed to save a large part of the building. They said the structural integrity is sound, just sections of the roof have collapsed into the interior.

"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #22 on: September 3, 2018, 09:32:10 am »
Can smell it burning from ours in town. Definitely dodgy, this.

Close the windows then, that should sort it.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #23 on: September 3, 2018, 09:39:24 am »
Close the windows then, that should sort it.
Theyre all smashed cos of the fire mate.The heat broke the glass.Wouldnt matter anyway,someone left a door open
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #24 on: September 3, 2018, 09:41:03 am »
Just said on the nooz that it looks like it's gonna be sound structurally,so the film production redevelopment can still go ahead
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 3, 2018, 09:42:04 am »
Didn't Thingwall Hall burn down after a rescue plan was mooted? I know Ken Dodd lobbied hard on that for years.

(I know Thingwall was targeted several times. I'm talking about the last attack that finally did it in.)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 3, 2018, 10:43:17 am »
Thankfully nobody was injured and the structure should be sound, hopefully they can restore the building.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #27 on: September 3, 2018, 11:11:39 am »
The place must have been stockpiled high with smoked haddock.
The smell will reek across the whole city.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 3, 2018, 11:59:44 am »
Thankfully nobody was injured and the structure should be sound, hopefully they can restore the building.

Good news,if you or I lived in a house that was listed then we would have two choices,restore or move out.

Another fire yesterday :  Brazil’s 200-year old National Museum hit by massive fire with 20 million artifacts lost
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #29 on: September 3, 2018, 01:34:54 pm »
My money is on a huge student devolment complex it’s the perfect location for it. Big joe will be rubbing  his hands

Or a council owned football stadium.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #30 on: September 3, 2018, 11:11:36 pm »
Or a council owned football stadium.

Am sure this would be the absolutely number  one choice of locations if bfj / chippy tits was given the chance. Would need a bit more room than this building takes up, but he is a fan of selling off our parks too so could easily co-opt  Botanic to make it work. Good job he doesn't read RAWK eh!

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 4, 2018, 08:46:31 am »
Drove through the tec Park and seen it in its early stages. Called 999 just to make sure someone had called up as I couldn't see or hear no sirens.
I hope they can sort out the mess. Not nice losing history of the city.