Author Topic: Moving to Liverpool  (Read 8759 times)

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
Moving to Liverpool
« on: September 25, 2018, 07:53:57 pm »
I will be moving to Liverpool soon with my partner she will be working in the Knowsley area, but we don't really know the area. Initial searches seem to be pointing towards living in Prescot, is this a good area or should we be looking elsewhere?

I'll be very thankful for any advice.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: Moving to Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 08:52:18 pm »
Depends what you’re after but Prescot... isn’t Liverpool.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 09:01:19 pm »
Prescots not a bad area with decent train  links to the city centre and good shopping park . Good links also to the motorways but it isnt Liverpool just on the border . Where in Knowsley are you working

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 11:18:07 am »
Cheers, my mistake wasn't sure where the borders were. I'm still looking for a job in the chemical industry so thinking being that side of Liverpool will be better for commuting, but my partner will be working in the industrial park.

Suppose what we are looking for is somewhere safe/quiet with a few restaurants/pubs and good connections into the city and not too much hassle commuting.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 11:29:48 am »
It's an easy commute from Prescott to just about anywhere in the North West. My brother lives there and got his car robbed once, but he did leave it running while he was waiting for it to defrost and some chancer jumped in it and drove the car to Ipswich, true story :D but since then he's had no bother. If you are concerned about the whole Wool / Scouser thing then you should study the borders very carefully, sometimes one side of the road can be Scouse and the other Deepest Knowsley Wool, it's a minefield for sure.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 04:29:10 pm »
It's an easy commute from Prescott to just about anywhere in the North West. My brother lives there and got his car robbed once, but he did leave it running while he was waiting for it to defrost and some chancer jumped in it and drove the car to Ipswich, true story :D but since then he's had no bother. If you are concerned about the whole Wool / Scouser thing then you should study the borders very carefully, sometimes one side of the road can be Scouse and the other Deepest Knowsley Wool, it's a minefield for sure.

The difference between Knowsley Village and Kirkby or Cannibal Farm was like chalk and cheese when I lived in Kirkby. Went to school with lads from Knowsley and they were what we called posh. And before you start, regardless of the sock robbers and wool stuff, most who lived in Kirkby from the late 60's are from the city.

Anyone know whats it like in Speke on that newish estate near where Triumph used to be (Off Woodend Ave) ? We have a mate who bought a brand new house on Lightstream Drive on there a few years back and it seemed quite nice around there (they've moved to a place in Halton now). Thats not a bad commute to the industrial estate nor Widnes.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 04:34:20 pm »
I live in Prescot. Lovely place. Currently going through a bit of a revamp on the high street with a load of new bars and restaurants opening as well as focusing on a Shakespeare amphitheater type venue

Great links to Liverpool by train and the M62. Can get to Southport and out them ways using the M57 and Manchester going the other way up the 62. Loads of new housing developments going up where there used to just be derelict spots so plenty of places to choose from to buy a house (if that's what you're after) plus there are great schools about. Whiston Hospital is close by too. As someone mentioned there is a decent shopping park here with a couple of new shops being opened soon and St. Helens/Widnes are about 10 minutes away with more shops and a cinema

If you have any questions about areas then feel free to PM me, more than happy to help

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 02:36:43 am »
The difference between Knowsley Village and Kirkby or Cannibal Farm was like chalk and cheese when I lived in Kirkby. Went to school with lads from Knowsley and they were what we called posh. And before you start, regardless of the sock robbers and wool stuff, most who lived in Kirkby from the late 60's are from the city.

Sounds like the social experiment stuff .  As a kid who grew up in Canny Farm everybody's Grandparents where from Scotty or somewhere .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 09:14:22 am »
I live in Prescot. Lovely place. Currently going through a bit of a revamp on the high street with a load of new bars and restaurants opening as well as focusing on a Shakespeare amphitheater type venue

Great links to Liverpool by train and the M62. Can get to Southport and out them ways using the M57 and Manchester going the other way up the 62. Loads of new housing developments going up where there used to just be derelict spots so plenty of places to choose from to buy a house (if that's what you're after) plus there are great schools about. Whiston Hospital is close by too. As someone mentioned there is a decent shopping park here with a couple of new shops being opened soon and St. Helens/Widnes are about 10 minutes away with more shops and a cinema

If you have any questions about areas then feel free to PM me, more than happy to help

Not really selling it there mate :D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 05:08:31 pm »
Sounds like the social experiment stuff .  As a kid who grew up in Canny Farm everybody's Grandparents where from Scotty or somewhere .

My Dad was from Walton and my Mum from Everton, I lived between Walton and Kirkby until I was 3. I can trace my grandparents on my Dads side (my Ma was an Evans so no chance with her lot) back to Green Street of Scotty and then Moorfields in town in the mid 1800's.

We moved to Kirkby in 1969 as they had just built Tower Hill and it seemed, from growing up, that everyone in Liverpool who wanted a council house ended up on our estate - Canny Farm was probably the same.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 07:13:29 pm »
Dont know about that mate.The new Essoldo cinema they've just built is Premiering Norman Wisdoms Brand new movie "The Square Peg" this week,and it's in Dolby surround sound.Sounds like an up and coming place,and somewhere to keep an eye on
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 08:49:11 pm »

:lmao

Can't really help who the neighbours are. You could always head to Speke for the new Cineworld or into town for the Odeon if you want a cinema. Tend to avoid St Helens like the plague myself

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 10:22:18 pm »
I bought in Prescot 12 months ago and have been around the area the past 10 years.
It's not a bad place. As ScottScott says above the High Street is gaining nicer restaurants with Pinion opening recently, Urban Chiringuito soon, Albion Bakehouse gaining another premises. So there are more independants springing up in the area which is only a good thing.

Liverpool is 23 mins away on the train from Prescot train station and you have Whiston train station too, so 4 trains an hour to town.

Plenty of houses are being built in Prescot. Must be 500-1000 houses in the coming years. 250 or so just on Scotchbarn Lane, the other 500 or so near Carr Lane/ Tesco.

St Helens is an actual positive for a town to be close by. The town centre is like another planet but the shops that are there are handy considering it is 10 mins in the car from my house. B&Q, Currys, KFC (:D) Halfords, Nandos. Saves battling Edge Lane.
I have a Cineworld card and that is my nearest. Speke is only down the 57 aswell.

There is a lot of social housing and with that a lot of horrible people, I have to say that I have came across the past 10 years. As it is Knowsley council you find people moving out of Kirkby and Huyton who just want to get away from the areas so end up in Prescot. Choose the correct place to buy and you won't come across any of the people who don't want to add anything to society.
Manchester Road, Warrington Road and anywhere north of Warrington Road.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 10:24:04 pm by L8Craig »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 06:20:19 am »

There is a lot of social housing and with that a lot of horrible people,

Amazing sweeping generalisation

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 08:00:01 am »

Can't really help who the neighbours are. You could always head to Speke for the new Cineworld or into town for the Odeon if you want a cinema. Tend to avoid St Helens like the plague myself

Same here, and I'm from the bloody place. I work in Rainhill which is as close as I feel comfortable with getting. :D

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 08:07:32 am »
You could always head to Speke for the new Cineworld or into town for the Odeon if you want a cinema.

Broadband is scheduled to be installed in the area in 2025.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 10:20:47 am »

Amazing sweeping generalisation
Honestly though, there are a lot of old people in the area but there seems to be a lot, lot more single mums with a few devil kids who have no respect for anyone in their path. So there are a few no go areas that even houses priced at £30k and £50k people won’t even buy.

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 04:43:20 pm »
Cheers for the advice everyone.

Choose the correct place to buy and you won't come across any of the people who don't want to add anything to society.
Manchester Road, Warrington Road and anywhere north of Warrington Road.

Are those places to avoid?

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 04:48:17 pm »

To buy :)

Offline Carrafan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 06:37:09 am »
What’s the silvester street area like in Vauxhall? My daughter is moving to Liverpool for Uni and was looking at student accommodation there. I’ve seen mixed reviews online. Seems traditionally quite rough but undergoing redevelopment? Cheers.

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 08:33:06 am »
What’s the silvester street area like in Vauxhall? My daughter is moving to Liverpool for Uni and was looking at student accommodation there. I’ve seen mixed reviews online. Seems traditionally quite rough but undergoing redevelopment? Cheers.

Not a great area, and not really much around there. I'd explore other options.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 10:40:14 am »
It's very close to the city centre - you could probably walk it in about 15/20 minutes.  But yeah there isn't anything going on round there. I doubt she would have any issues though, it's pretty quiet.

Personally I'd say Smithdown Road - one of the traditional student areas - is a good place to be as a student. It's full of student accomodation (though private rather than halls). Loads going on, loads of pubs and restaurants, good bus routes into the city centre and two parks (Sefton and Greenbank) nearby. I'd avoid anything past the cemetery going towards the city centre, but everywhere else is fine.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:43:07 am by gregor »

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 02:19:12 pm »
It's very close to the city centre - you could probably walk it in about 15/20 minutes.  But yeah there isn't anything going on round there. I doubt she would have any issues though, it's pretty quiet.

Personally I'd say Smithdown Road - one of the traditional student areas - is a good place to be as a student. It's full of student accomodation (though private rather than halls). Loads going on, loads of pubs and restaurants, good bus routes into the city centre and two parks (Sefton and Greenbank) nearby. I'd avoid anything past the cemetery going towards the city centre, but everywhere else is fine.

Agree with this.

Fuck all going on in Vauxhall and even though it's close to the city centre you probably wouldn't want her walking through that area, especially late at night.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 02:26:21 pm »
Agree with the other posters about Smithdown. Buses run all night too which purely for a safety reason is a big plus.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 03:50:12 pm »
Most of the student bits I know in Vauxhall are right on the edge of the area (town side) but to be honest I still don't love the area (used to rehearse right in the middle of Vauxhall) and its a fair way from where I imagine all the student nightlife goes on anyway. For me, the wrong side, be better off Smithdown or somewhere round town.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2018, 08:18:54 pm »
Not a complete disaster no need to definitely rule it out, more students moving around there as a number of purpose built flats are being built there, but traditionally a deprived working class area in northend which is not a student area and not used to students but handy for town and certain parts of JMU.

Traditionally students tend to be in South end around smithdown/wavertree, so area used to them and diverse with places catering for students but have a look and see what accommodation is liike, quite a lot of student accommodation to choose from some really decent. After first year they find feet and know what they'll do anyway
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Carrafan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2018, 01:50:49 am »
Thanks everyone.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2018, 04:44:57 pm »
Thanks everyone.

I don’t know if she’s going into halls or going private but it’s worth saying as well, please be careful with some of the massive old houses that have been converted into private student gaffs/HMOs. I had the misfortune of living in one for six months on Croxteth Road (not as a student, just as a slightly desperate temporary thing) and it was hell. Infested with mice, a gobshite landlord who got his mates to carry out all of the “repairs”, two working bathrooms in a house that he’d somehow managed to squeeze 20 people into, heating breaking every other week and the living room ceiling collapsed in on us one Saturday night and wasn’t fixed for a week. I really wish I’d contacted the council.

Oh and it was broken into three times while I was there.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 10:24:42 pm »
Should have lived in Kenny, none of that happened there ;D

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 11:10:01 pm »

To buy :)

Would second this. But don't get too far along St Helens Rd else you end up in, y'know, St Helens.

Up side of being north of Warrington Rd is first thing in a morning if the wind is in the right direction you can hear the animals in Knowsley Safari Park. Didn't half confuse me for a while, waking up wondering why the hell I could hear lions or some such  :o

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 2, 2019, 10:05:13 am »
I was born and bred in the Toxteth/Wavertree area back in the 60's,my parents had the good sense to move to Broadgreen,it was a much nicer area,no Paki's,I grew up there and had the good sense to fuck off and leave the shithole in the 80's,I never looked back,leaving the shithole was the best thing I ever did,I was born and bred here,I despise the place,it's full of scumbags,the only good thing abar Liverpool is the football team,the city is full of c*nts,gun toting gangsta wannabe's,I am far better off living as far away as poss,horrible place to live in,believe me

Fuck off you Racist twat
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #31 on: February 2, 2019, 10:32:55 am »
Fuck off you Racist twat

Fuck me. What rock did he crawl out from?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #32 on: February 2, 2019, 11:35:05 pm »
Fuck off you Racist twat
Plus One. L8 in the 80s was an incredible place to live and learn, especially about history and culture. Shame he missed out on a few lessons in life...

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 3, 2019, 12:51:16 pm »
Plus One. L8 in the 80s was an incredible place to live and learn, especially about history and culture. Shame he missed out on a few lessons in life...

It angers me how people like him are trying to drag this country back into the bad old days.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #34 on: February 3, 2019, 12:57:01 pm »
It angers me how people like him are trying to drag this country back into the bad old days.

Aye, it’s great to think there are a lot of adults out there who teach their kids the right way to act and with each generation we appear to be more accepting - but then someone like this knob comes out the woodwork and you just know they’ll have pushed these views on their own kids. Hopefully they’ve had enough decent role models in their life to drown out his fucking shite though.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #35 on: February 3, 2019, 01:21:01 pm »

Like others have said Smithdown/Wavertree is probably the most student-friendly area.

You also get a lot of students living in Kenny these days, which is a bit rougher then Smithdown with less bars/pubs, but also a bit cheaper and close to town and the universities.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2019, 01:23:13 pm by Indomitable_Carp »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #36 on: February 3, 2019, 01:33:14 pm »
Aye, it’s great to think there are a lot of adults out there who teach their kids the right way to act and with each generation we appear to be more accepting - but then someone like this knob comes out the woodwork and you just know they’ll have pushed these views on their own kids. Hopefully they’ve had enough decent role models in their life to drown out his fucking shite though.

He's not only a racist but despises Liverpool as well (leaving the shithole etc) so don't think his kids will have much in the way of a rounded world view.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 3, 2019, 03:38:44 pm »
Like others have said Smithdown/Wavertree is probably the most student-friendly area.

You also get a lot of students living in Kenny these days, which is a bit rougher then Smithdown with less bars/pubs, but also a bit cheaper and close to town and the universities.

Yea. my two nephews are in Kenny - and it's fine - in town in no time, the older one has a bike and into classes he's like Lance Armstrong - a different story coming back up the hill :D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 3, 2019, 04:19:00 pm »

If Brexit has taught me anything, it is that this country still has a massive problem with people like him.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #39 on: February 3, 2019, 10:15:41 pm »
Fuck off you Racist twat
I'm speechless about what StockyT wrote; I mean ffs! Really?!!?
What a fucking tosser  :wanker
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.