Author Topic: Liverpool news thread  (Read 121734 times)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool news thread
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2018, 07:33:18 pm »
Remember when Liverpool music festivals was run by local businesses and were totally free to get into?  You know, before the council decided they could make a mint by taking it off them, moving it, and fencing it in?
What utter nonsense, "taking it off them".
This years charge is causing a bit of controversy, I'm against it, but many people commenting are not thinking it through or are just generally anti-the council. It costs millions to stage a free event, does it bother you that it could be spent on social care or other services. The net cost should be available in due course but I doubt they'll make a mint, perhaps break even. Even if they do make a profit the objective may have been achieved - the objective to be more commercial and make money the Government will no longer provide. Every single council in the country are having to come up with different initiatives to substitute the depleted Government grants.

I'm not in favour, but you've got your thoughts wrong again.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: July 20, 2018, 07:39:13 pm »
Yep, I've only found out about the booze ban today a week after I bought the ticket, not much of a drinker but just hate the principle of being ripped off - especially when for years it was sound
It's annoying - like the Food & Drink Festivals. If they said you have to buy the ale but its £2.50 or £3.00 a pint I'd be happy, I wouldn't feel like I'm getting ripped.

But it's going to be £4 or £4.50 a pint in a plastic glass, in a field with little overheads.

I'd like to see the council impose price limitations on stalls, there'll still be dosh to be made for the bars. It's fucking scandalous that they out-price many parts of the community.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: July 20, 2018, 08:54:55 pm »
What utter nonsense, "taking it off them".
This years charge is causing a bit of controversy, I'm against it, but many people commenting are not thinking it through or are just generally anti-the council. It costs millions to stage a free event, does it bother you that it could be spent on social care or other services. The net cost should be available in due course but I doubt they'll make a mint, perhaps break even. Even if they do make a profit the objective may have been achieved - the objective to be more commercial and make money the Government will no longer provide. Every single council in the country are having to come up with different initiatives to substitute the depleted Government grants.

I'm not in favour, but you've got your thoughts wrong again.

Well gee, I guess maybe the council should have left it in the hands of the local businesses then?  People who seemed able to stage a free a event that generated income for the city?  Too easy to blame it all on the government imo.  If the council can't handle it they should hand it over to people who can. 

How many locals are going to be able to afford £15 on the day?  AND not be able to even bring their own booze?  Sorry mate, but this smacks of "fleece the tourist and sod the locals" to me.

EDIT: Also I know a few of people who try to run food and drink stalls during festivals like these and the council charges them a bomb for doing it, which is why they end up passing the costs on.  The whole thing stinks of a money grab.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 08:57:07 pm by Red Berry »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: July 20, 2018, 09:51:49 pm »
Well gee, I guess maybe the council should have left it in the hands of the local businesses then?  People who seemed able to stage a free a event that generated income for the city?  Too easy to blame it all on the government imo.  If the council can't handle it they should hand it over to people who can. 

How many locals are going to be able to afford £15 on the day?  AND not be able to even bring their own booze?  Sorry mate, but this smacks of "fleece the tourist and sod the locals" to me.

EDIT: Also I know a few of people who try to run food and drink stalls during festivals like these and the council charges them a bomb for doing it, which is why they end up passing the costs on.  The whole thing stinks of a money grab.
2 things.
Give me evidence that the council have hijacked the event. Who ran it last year and who runs it this year?

Re local business running events, have you been to the Gin Festival in the Baltic Market run by Liverpool Independent? They charge £5 in to a warehouse with a band, not a full day of international music, £4.50 a pint, £20 for a bottle Proseco and 8 nicker for a gin. Is that the scene you dig, at least "the council didn't get a penny"

Give me one example where something decent has been organised with low price ale or to whatever standard you're expecting.

You're being ridiculously precious about the council instead of looking at it rationally and saying yeah someone has to contribute to this massive event. This year certainly isn't ideal but your theory is rubbish.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: July 20, 2018, 10:06:16 pm »
2 things.
Give me evidence that the council have hijacked the event. Who ran it last year and who runs it this year?

Re local business running events, have you been to the Gin Festival in the Baltic Market run by Liverpool Independent? They charge £5 in to a warehouse with a band, not a full day of international music, £4.50 a pint, £20 for a bottle Proseco and 8 nicker for a gin. Is that the scene you dig, at least "the council didn't get a penny"

Give me one example where something decent has been organised with low price ale or to whatever standard you're expecting.

You're being ridiculously precious about the council instead of looking at it rationally and saying yeah someone has to contribute to this massive event. This year certainly isn't ideal but your theory is rubbish.

I used to regularly go to the Matthew Street festival before it was run by the council.  Didn't pay to go in, watched loads of live music for free and the ale was respectably priced.  The council took it over, ultimately renamed it, moved it and are now charging for it.

This isn't a local festival for local people anymore.  It's about how much you can screw out of the tourist because locals can't even afford to get in.  Ah well, but what do I know eh?  I'll stick to my rubbish theory thanks.

Popcorn's Art

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: July 20, 2018, 10:18:45 pm »
A tenner to see live bands and music over two days seems reasonable to me. A fiver a day. Dunno how that is fleecing locals though.

Much prefer going to Sefton park than town anyway, but that's just me.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2018, 10:33:45 pm »
I used to regularly go to the Matthew Street festival before it was run by the council.  Didn't pay to go in, watched loads of live music for free and the ale was respectably priced.  The council took it over, ultimately renamed it, moved it and are now charging for it.

This isn't a local festival for local people anymore.  It's about how much you can screw out of the tourist because locals can't even afford to get in.  Ah well, but what do I know eh?  I'll stick to my rubbish theory thanks.
You choose to ignore my post above about pricing the community out of the event. But there's the issue, and excuse me for saying it but your absolute ignorance about tourists depletes your case. For years Liverpool Council tax payers have paid for a free event in the park which I know for a fact has been attended by people from Leeds, Scotland and Devon. They were great events, but who was paying for it? What about those tourists RB?

Matthew Street was moved for many reasons you probably aren't aware of, and indeed I'm not, but local business suffered due to road closures and it was deemed better to contain it in a single public area free of charge.

I've conceded this year isn't ideal.

I'm still waiting for you advise us who ran a better gig at less cost to the consumer that didn't cost the council tax payer a penny. Tell me.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #167 on: July 20, 2018, 10:36:23 pm »
You choose to ignore my post above about pricing the community out of the event. But there's the issue, and excuse me for saying it but your absolute ignorance about tourists depletes your case. For years Liverpool Council tax payers have paid for a free event in the park which I know for a fact has been attended by people from Leeds, Scotland and Devon. They were great events, but who was paying for it? What about those tourists RB?

Matthew Street was moved for many reasons you probably aren't aware of, and indeed I'm not, but local business suffered due to road closures and it was deemed better to contain it in a single public area free of charge.

I've conceded this year isn't ideal.

I'm still waiting for you advise us who ran a better gig at less cost to the consumer that didn't cost the council tax payer a penny. Tell me.

Wasn't that gig around St Georges Hall a couple of years ago run by a private company?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: July 20, 2018, 10:41:51 pm »
Wasn't that gig around St Georges Hall a couple of years ago run by a private company?
Which event mate and what were the costs and benefits of it?

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: July 20, 2018, 10:55:01 pm »
I'm not trying to have a go at anyone. I just felt john was really arsey towards me and got right in my face. Let me try and explain and feel free to disagree.

I'm an introvert and socially anxious, so I barely do festivals at all, much less ones I have to pay for. I know many you have to pay for and then pay through the nose again, but you know what you're getting into.

I have no problem with a festival covering costs - the Southport air show had to do it - but when they bar you from taking your own food and drink then it starts to stink, doesn't it? Like I said they charge a bomb for the stall patches as well. How does this help the local economy, stitching it up like this?

If it costs too much to run and you're worried about public disorder then you could just stop holding it. Or scale it back to something more manageable.  Theres precedent for all of this. It's in Sefton Park - not like local businesses will miss out on footfall like in the city centre. Lark Lane does decent business all year round.

I'm not taking hours digging through the internet to find evidence that will satisfy John's opinion because I'm not really interested in trying to change his mind. It starts with a tenner but it will rise. I'd rather spend that in the off license and site outside the fence thanks.

Edit: and honestly, who is complaining about somebody from Leeds enjoying a free festival in Liverpool? Maybe we should cancel all events and be a bunch of tight arses? If we can't afford it should we do it? And if it's our council tax money going on it then why should we have to pay twice by paying on the sodding door as well?

Also, Matthew Street had lots if optional stuff you could pay to attend, as well as just enjoying the bars and bands. I won't say charging was always the plan but I do believe it became inevitable on moving it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:14:01 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2018, 11:22:33 pm »
I'm not trying to have a go at anyone. I just felt john was really arsey towards me and got right in my face. Let me try and explain and feel free to disagree.

I'm an introvert and socially anxious, so I barely do festivals at all, much less ones I have to pay for. I know many you have to pay for and then pay through the nose again, but you know what you're getting into.

I have no problem with a festival covering costs - the Southport air show had to do it - but when they bar you from taking your own food and drink then it starts to stink, doesn't it? Like I said they charge a bomb for the stall patches as well. How does this help the local economy, stitching it up like this?

If it costs too much to run and you're worried about public disorder then you could just stop holding it. Or scale it back to something more manageable.  Theres precedent for all of this. It's in Sefton Park - not like local businesses will miss out on footfall like in the city centre. Lark Lane does decent business all year round.

I'm not taking hours digging through the internet to find evidence that will satisfy John's opinion because I'm not really interested in trying to change his mind. It starts with a tenner but it will rise. I'd rather spend that in the off license and site outside the fence thanks.

Edit: and honestly, who is complaining about somebody from Leeds enjoying a free festival in Liverpool? Maybe we should cancel all events and be a bunch of tight arses? If we can't afford it should we do it? And if it's our council tax money going on it then why should we have to pay twice by paying on the sodding door as well?

Also, Matthew Street had lots if optional stuff you could pay to attend, as well as just enjoying the bars and bands. I won't say charging was always the plan but I do believe it became inevitable on moving it.
I'm sorry that I tried to ask you for an explanation for an out right lie which in context of the rest of your post illustrates why you haven't answered any of the factual points I've raised. Stop bleating from your keyboard about things you are not experienced about. Someone or something is feeding you shit Paul. Liverpool City Council and 2018 LIMF are not perfect, everyone knows, but like your proclamation about the lambanana, maybe you're not 100% correct.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2018, 11:34:10 pm »
Sorry John but really just do one. You triggered me, acting just like my brother. He'd demand evidence as well, like I just wasn't allowed to vent unless I could fucking justify it.

Yeah I hate the council, regardless of who is in charge because they've all fucked this city over and time and again the people have had to pick up the pieces. That's why I vote green now.

Stick your smug attitude and console yourself that you're right and you made me look foolish.I dont need your approval for my tin hat opinion,  nor do I care if you take it or me seriously.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 11:36:37 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2018, 11:50:37 pm »
I just felt john was really arsey towards me and got right in my face.
btw, as a poster not a Mod, this stuff isn't tolerated on RAWK, allegations of potentially unfounded cyberbulling is unacceptable. Make your point and substantiate it. If you feel someone's point is wrong present facts, please don't present another poster in that manner.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2018, 12:37:57 am »
It's annoying - like the Food & Drink Festivals. If they said you have to buy the ale but its £2.50 or £3.00 a pint I'd be happy, I wouldn't feel like I'm getting ripped.

But it's going to be £4 or £4.50 a pint in a plastic glass, in a field with little overheads.

I'd like to see the council impose price limitations on stalls, there'll still be dosh to be made for the bars. It's fucking scandalous that they out-price many parts of the community.

We are just over the road from where all these events take place on the park. So many locals I've heard talking about LIMF are saying they hope it fails miserably this year. One fella we spoke to in the park last week was raging about the whole thing. It's a shame, but we don't even bother going to once-free events they now fence off and charge for on there. The Food Festival used to be a relaxed and enjoyable occasion where you could just roll up, take some food and drink of your own, but still end up buying some goodies from the stalls anyway. At least you felt you had a choice then. Fast forward to now and it's pay to enter, can't bring your own stuff in, then you are a captive audience for the day having to pay extortionate prices for food and drink.

OK, if you go to these things you know the score. You are sitting ducks and know you will have to pay through the nose, but it really is a shame. We simply give the whole thing a swerve now and leave it to those willing to fork out. If the prices were reasonable then fair enough, but when you feel railroaded into paying silly prices you can simply feel exploited. I see on the leaflets for LIMF they are doing 'VIP' tickets too. So, pay even more and they'll give you a better view and decent toilets and bar facilities. Just looking at the website and those tickets are sold out for both days, so it appears that plenty of people are willing to put their hands in their pockets for this. Fair enough, but I think the best days of the likes of the Food Festival and LIMF are behind us now. They've both morphed into something we can't be arsed with anymore so we will be swerving them.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2018, 08:17:19 am »
Which event mate and what were the costs and benefits of it?

The Hope and Glory Festival, 2017.

It was chaotic and Indon't think there were any benefits. The chancer running it may have financially benefited before he wound up his company.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #175 on: July 21, 2018, 08:27:52 am »
we can't be arsed with anymore so we will be swerving them.
Same as me then, I live spitting distance from the park and I'll swerve LIMF next year, I'm going this year because I organised a bunch of friends to meet there long before I knew they'd charge/ban your own booze.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: July 21, 2018, 08:31:17 am »
The Food Festival used to be a relaxed and enjoyable occasion where you could just roll up, 
I don't remember them at all mate, marketing must have been poor back in the day because I don't even remember seeing them advertised as free events.
The Hope and Glory Festival, 2017.
It was chaotic and Indon't think there were any benefits. The chancer running it may have financially benefited before he wound up his company.
Yeah thanks I see what you mean now, I think compensation is getting paid for that fuck up.

LIMF is different, all of my thoughts are already documented :)

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #177 on: July 21, 2018, 08:53:45 am »
The fiver charge will barely pay for the fencing and added security to stop people bunking in over said fencing, which is needed to stop people turning up with a case of ale and a bag of butties. The reason for that is simply loads of pissed up 14 /15/16/17 year olds causing problems with their sad gang allegiances last year and the growth in knife crime awareness no doubt scaring the council into doing something to prevent a fatality at a council event - which would be calamitous for all involved (and potentially lead to the end of this and other events.
So better to have a fence ,charge a fiver ,keep the ale under supervision and do something to prevent some knobhead scall Spoiling It For Everyone. I know my kids won't go because of the current concern over certain local "known" kids showing up and causing fights and small robberies which could easily turn to a slashing or worse. If five quid keeps people safe then who cares if the Sefton park locals complain about not going now it has a charge.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: July 21, 2018, 09:08:13 am »

So better to have a fence ,charge a fiver ,keep the ale under supervision and do something to prevent some knobhead scall Spoiling
You could be right mate.
Unfortunately last year, amongst the thousands who attended simply for a lovely musical time, there was one extremely large and extremely intimidating gang who selfishly erected a gazebo fairly close to the front, they didn't give 2 fucks about anyone and they made sure everyone around them knew it.

Of course that's not sufficient reason for these massive changes when decent stewarding could have sorted that.

RB may think I'm having a go at him, I'm not, there's an important discussion to have about this major and costly event to obtain some balance of opinion. Maybe after this weekend there'll be a lessons learnt review.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: July 21, 2018, 01:06:06 pm »
The fiver charge will barely pay for the fencing and added security to stop people bunking in over said fencing, which is needed to stop people turning up with a case of ale and a bag of butties. The reason for that is simply loads of pissed up 14 /15/16/17 year olds causing problems with their sad gang allegiances last year and the growth in knife crime awareness no doubt scaring the council into doing something to prevent a fatality at a council event - which would be calamitous for all involved (and potentially lead to the end of this and other events.
So better to have a fence ,charge a fiver ,keep the ale under supervision and do something to prevent some knobhead scall Spoiling It For Everyone. I know my kids won't go because of the current concern over certain local "known" kids showing up and causing fights and small robberies which could easily turn to a slashing or worse. If five quid keeps people safe then who cares if the Sefton park locals complain about not going now it has a charge.
Some good points in there, mate. There definitely are issues with idiots turning up and spoiling things. I've observed it a number of times. There is one particular gang of young gobshites who always disappear down Hartington Road when going home. They turn up at lots of events on the review field and cause problems. I've seen them punch an adult passerby of his bike after he objected to them throwing things at him. They intimidate other kids, throw bottles and stones at passing cars and taxis etc. Luckily this year the police and stewards were on it at the Oye Festival and they had their 'fun' dampened somewhat.

The same lot were active when the fair was here recently, though. A young kid was attacked. By them? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. They are a horrible bunch of shits and when they aren't having a go at innocent people they are vandalising property.

That mob are young and not pissed-up, but no doubt there is an element at most events who will take it too far, particularly if you can roll up with a shopping trolley full of your own alcohol. If the prices for a beer once you are a captive audience were reasonable, maybe people wouldn't feel so exploited and ripped off, though.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: July 21, 2018, 01:09:40 pm »
I don't remember them at all mate, marketing must have been poor back in the day because I don't even remember seeing them advertised as free events.
Maybe so, regarding the marketing. Yes, you could just roll up and walk in. They even used to give you a free goodie bag on arrival. 😁

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: July 21, 2018, 02:05:00 pm »
I really don't like those fences, three meters high, just missing the barbed wire. It makes the park look like a prison.

I'm with Son of Spion on this, live close by, used to go to the free events, but not bothering with the fenced-off ones. Don't think a fiver a day is unreasonable, but I just hate that you can't come and go as you want. The Oye this year was as it should be, free and full of locals, met tons of people I had't bumped into for ages. They do get EU funding though, so lets see how long that continues.

I'd rather they scale the whole thing down again, smaller stages, local or smaller bands only, and make it free.

On a general note, I do think the council are actually really good at putting events on, there is loads going throughout the year, most cities would be happy to put on one of these events.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #182 on: July 21, 2018, 02:07:21 pm »
Iam gettin as far away as possible from my neighbourhood this weekend. I smell trouble in the air and thosevsecurity lads are in for a busy weekend. Read in someones post that the young lads with bags off ale wont be gettin in because of the fence and cost. We all know that bunking in is only seen as a challenge to us , especially at that age. So now you'll have little firms circling the venue and not inside it. Woo. Problem solved. Ive got friends who live in Pilton by the Glastonbury site and when the festival became harder to jib in you had firms of lads from Liverpool and Manchester having battles in the village. Ive just cycled through the park and its full of teenagers of both sexes getting pissed up . Gonna be fun this.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: July 21, 2018, 02:25:04 pm »
And.... when I was by St Michaels there was loads of little firms walking down obviously not local.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: July 21, 2018, 06:21:17 pm »
^
In north Liverpool at the moment but will be back in Sefton Park a little later. I might park my car at a mate's place a bit further away from the review field if things look dodgy.
We are all fenced and gated, but at events in the park we always get cheeky twats from elsewhere bunking their cars into our car park. I agree that the security might get run ragged. Plenty of youngsters are quite enterprising, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if before some go in they hump a few crates in over the fence to mates on the other side before going in themselves. I'm sure there will also be plenty seeing the fence as an irresistible challenge.

I also hope they have enough toilets this time. I know it's fenced off this year, but in previous events I lost count of the amount of pissed-up grown women squatting in the woods while we were walking the dogs. Same with pissed-up men swinging their cocks everywhere with abandon pissing on trees. Not a pretty sight, especially for any kids in the vacinity.

We will be getting away from the park tonight, but only to Smithdown where Scouse band Takotsubo Men will be ripping it up for free.  :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 06:23:58 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: July 21, 2018, 08:06:41 pm »
^
In north Liverpool at the moment but will be back in Sefton Park a little later. I might park my car at a mate's place a bit further away from the review field if things look dodgy.
We are all fenced and gated, but at events in the park we always get cheeky twats from elsewhere bunking their cars into our car park. I agree that the security might get run ragged. Plenty of youngsters are quite enterprising, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if before some go in they hump a few crates in over the fence to mates on the other side before going in themselves. I'm sure there will also be plenty seeing the fence as an irresistible challenge.

I also hope they have enough toilets this time. I know it's fenced off this year, but in previous events I lost count of the amount of pissed-up grown women squatting in the woods while we were walking the dogs. Same with pissed-up men swinging their cocks everywhere with abandon pissing on trees. Not a pretty sight, especially for any kids in the vacinity.

We will be getting away from the park tonight, but only to Smithdown where Scouse band Takotsubo Men will be ripping it up for free.  :)

Back home after being in town all day. Park it outside ours mate its right by the Palm House . PM us if you see this.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: July 21, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »
In ours with me window open. Some lads have just gone past singing Oh Manchester is wonderful .... then right behind them I heard  Oh Manchester is full of shit .

I feel like popping out to see who wins.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2018, 12:21:28 am »
I also hope they have enough toilets this time.
Fuck my life, they didn't mate. Full report tomorrow.

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2018, 01:24:20 am »
I've heard some boss music wafting across the field from zee Palm House. Earlier on it was a Santanna vibe and now it's Talking Heads . I feel like running over with me bills on.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2018, 10:12:31 am »
It's chaotic down there if you're going today. I guess Sunday might not be as busy as Saturday but there was 30 minutes queue for the toilet and 20 minutes queue for the bar.  A horrendous waste of time.

And as I feared, despite the LIMF website saying there'll be bars with competitive prices, there wasn't, there was 2 charging £4.80 a pint and £4.80 for a small bottle of Bulmers.
A real ale bar was charging £5 / can, that's £10 / pint in bonkers land.

I paid a fiver in, I'd rather pay a tenner for the event rather than get ripped and spend hours of the day queuing. Outrageously costly and disorganised.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2018, 11:23:20 am »
It's chaotic down there if you're going today. I guess Sunday might not be as busy as Saturday but there was 30 minutes queue for the toilet and 20 minutes queue for the bar.  A horrendous waste of time.

And as I feared, despite the LIMF website saying there'll be bars with competitive prices, there wasn't, there was 2 charging £4.80 a pint and £4.80 for a small bottle of Bulmers.
A real ale bar was charging £5 / can, that's £10 / pint in bonkers land.

I paid a fiver in, I'd rather pay a tenner for the event rather than get ripped and spend hours of the day queuing. Outrageously costly and disorganised.

Sounds like very little has been learnt from the disastrous festival last year (I can’t remember the name of it off the top of my head). Fusion Festival at Otterspool is pretty good in comparison. Obviously there’s the higher gate price but there’s enough food and drink places to go round and plenty of toilets (although can be a 10-15 min wait after an act has finished but that’s to be expected).
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2018, 02:38:37 pm »
That LIMF Festival  is getting absolutely hammered on twitter.From teenagers to litter etc it seems like it was a disaster
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2018, 02:55:23 pm »
Sounds like very little has been learnt from the disastrous festival last year (I can’t remember the name of it off the top of my head). Fusion Festival at Otterspool is pretty good in comparison. Obviously there’s the higher gate price but there’s enough food and drink places to go round and plenty of toilets (although can be a 10-15 min wait after an act has finished but that’s to be expected).

The Hope and Glory? at St Georges was a disaster.

Can't see the pleasure queuing for the bogs and over priced, Luke warm, gassy beer.

Maybe I'm just old.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2018, 05:25:27 pm »
It's not so much that fiver or tenner entry is bad. The event will do well, but it won't entirely be the same crowd as years gone by. You could legitimately charge £50 for a 2 day festival if this was a private event. But, it isn't. It's not that people are bothered about paying a fiver, it's the whole ethos that's wrong and it's the ethos that irritates people.

LIMF / Mathew Street was a free event for all ages to get together in the park or in the city.  If you didn't have a penny to your name you could still come along. Now, it feels more exclusive, the barrier fence leaves a bad taste and there's a charge to get in. That's not what it should be about.

I get all of the issues of putting together a large event safely and that it is safer to ticket and steward by erecting a barrier and creating a safe space, but why does the council need to provide an event like this? There are similar events all over the country already.

To slate people for moaning about paying an entrance fee is to miss the point. It's the ethos that's wrong. It's not inclusive, it's exclusive. Perhaps I'm incorrect here, but it just feels like another piece of the city's cultural worth is being stripped away.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2018, 05:33:53 pm »
Back home after being in town all day. Park it outside ours mate its right by the Palm House . PM us if you see this.
Only just saw your post, mate. Thanks for the offer, though.  ;)
I managed to get in ok and grab a parking space last night and the car is staying put until the festival is over now.

Cheers, bud.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2018, 05:36:13 pm »
Fuck my life, they didn't mate. Full report tomorrow.
Oh no. Not more women squatting in the bushes and lads pissing up trees again. 😱

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2018, 05:43:07 pm »
That LIMF Festival  is getting absolutely hammered on twitter.From teenagers to litter etc it seems like it was a disaster
Talking to a neighbour who had been over last night. She said the festival was "ok" but was rammed with kids/teens. When I drove up last night the area was heaving with kids too.

I looked out at around 5am this morning and they still had people on site clearing litter before everyone turns up today.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2018, 05:47:22 pm »
Can't see the pleasure queuing for the bogs and over priced, Luke warm, gassy beer.

Maybe I'm just old.
Same here. We went up to the Craft Taproom on Smithdown Road instead. Cold beer, no queue for the toilets and Takotsubo Men tearing it up on stage for free. Result!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:04:21 pm by Son of Spion »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2018, 06:00:39 pm »
It's not so much that fiver or tenner entry is bad. The event will do well, but it won't entirely be the same crowd as years gone by. You could legitimately charge £50 for a 2 day festival if this was a private event. But, it isn't. It's not that people are bothered about paying a fiver, it's the whole ethos that's wrong and it's the ethos that irritates people.

LIMF / Mathew Street was a free event for all ages to get together in the park or in the city.  If you didn't have a penny to your name you could still come along. Now, it feels more exclusive, the barrier fence leaves a bad taste and there's a charge to get in. That's not what it should be about.

I get all of the issues of putting together a large event safely and that it is safer to ticket and steward by erecting a barrier and creating a safe space, but why does the council need to provide an event like this? There are similar events all over the country already.

To slate people for moaning about paying an entrance fee is to miss the point. It's the ethos that's wrong. It's not inclusive, it's exclusive. Perhaps I'm incorrect here, but it just feels like another piece of the city's cultural worth is being stripped away.

Agree with all of that, out well better than I could. It just feels exclusive with putting the big fence up.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: July 22, 2018, 06:01:42 pm »

Re the stewarding, there was and it needed just as many as an open event mate. There were kids up to all kinds all over the gaff with steward legging it about after them yesterday  ;D

If by "ethos" you mean depriving the community of an opportunity, I completely agree, although the community was well represented yesterday, there was a good spread of people all ages and ethniticy although kids seemed to dominate. People were clearly happy to pay a fiver, it was chocker, but fucking hell inflated ale prices really was robbery, plus the ridiculous clues.

I don't do Twitter but I was delighted to hear the madness of it was getting highlighted.

I don't know what a balanced answer is mate. I'd like it to be an open event but I'd also be happy to pay £20 to get in as long as I can bring my own ale.

To answer your question about why we hold it. It's part of our heritage, it's what the city thrives on currently, but unfortunately Government grant changes that crippled our finances means we can't afford it. So how do we square the LIMF circle?

Install more fucking bogs is one answer :)