Author Topic: The Dispensary pub (Under new ownership)  (Read 87895 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Dispensary pub (stay away)
« Reply #240 on: November 11, 2018, 06:29:12 pm »
Nah this is free advertising - I never would have heard of the place were it not for this thread, now I want to pay it a visit.

Same here
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2018, 09:08:24 pm »
Must admit, have been in a lot more times since reading ‘stay away’ than before. Disappointingly ;) never had anything other than a fantastic pint in welcoming and relaxed surroundings

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #242 on: September 15, 2019, 09:45:12 pm »
Looks like the guys over at Dockleaf will be taking over this week. The reign of Crazy Dave is over

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #243 on: September 15, 2019, 10:05:04 pm »
Looks like the guys over at Dockleaf will be taking over this week. The reign of Crazy Dave is over
End of an era.

How come?

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Dispensary pub (Under new ownership)
« Reply #244 on: September 15, 2019, 10:27:11 pm »
End of an era.

How come?

I've been told they are both retiring but I guess there's only so far his banter can go before you drive away even the regulars

Plus the huge student flats that have been tacked alongside it are only going to start bringing in a different type of customer base

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: September 15, 2019, 10:30:07 pm »
I've been told they are both retiring but I guess there's only so far his banter can go before you drive away even the regulars

Only ever been in there a couple of times.  Surely the regulars are used to him?  Has to be more a case of his attitude messing up the pub's reputation as a whole, where it becomes more of a "freakshow" kind of thing - with people turning up just to see (and probably deliberately antagonise) Dave for funsies.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #246 on: September 16, 2019, 12:22:05 am »
Only been in there once or twice before, and didn't see much of this Crazy Dave fella.

If this is being taken over by Dock Leaf and is being advertised in Independent Liverpool, does this mean we can now expect Baltic Triangle-priced pints? (i.e. £4+)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #247 on: September 16, 2019, 08:49:43 am »
Plus the huge student flats that have been tacked alongside it are only going to start bringing in a different type of customer base

Eeeee.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #248 on: September 16, 2019, 08:51:58 am »
Was full of students last time I went in anyway.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: September 16, 2019, 09:03:03 am »
Been in Dockleaf a few times and it is more an overpriced craft ale/cocktail bar rather than a real ale pub. It still got CAMRA status in the good beer guide so be interesting to see if/where they take it
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:23:48 am by gazzalfc »

Online Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: September 16, 2019, 11:08:30 am »
I've never seen so many signs in a pub, but his ale was impeccable. Hope it stays just as good.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: September 16, 2019, 12:07:27 pm »
Only been in there once or twice before, and didn't see much of this Crazy Dave fella.

If this is being taken over by Dock Leaf and is being advertised in Independent Liverpool, does this mean we can now expect Baltic Triangle-priced pints? (i.e. £4+)

Well Grand Central turfed out all the old stall holders and sent them packing to Red Brick; I thought that was a mistake because I couldn't see much of a market for so many expensive(?) bars clustered together in a single building.  But if other pubs start hiking their prices as well?

I don't drink in that area anyway.  If I'm in town I'm more Hardman/Hope Street
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #253 on: September 16, 2019, 01:04:05 pm »

Or paying £4 for a schooner i.e. 2/3 of a pint.

Another hipster rip off.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2019, 01:08:05 pm »
Or paying £4 for a schooner i.e. 2/3 of a pint.

Another hipster rip off.

Schooners  :no

If I go anywhere and they say they don’t do pints they only do schooners then I’m instantly out of there.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: September 16, 2019, 09:07:21 pm »
never had anything other than a fantastic pint in welcoming and relaxed surroundings

Same here . Not exactly a regular , but never had a problem in there .Pity really , not that many pubs about with character anymore .

I only ever go there of a weekend , but it's nearly always chocker , so don't think it's anything to do with losing custom .

Dave's a big red , so all good in my book .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: September 16, 2019, 10:00:52 pm »
Went to see what Duke Street market was like before watching the Arsenal game the other week. The bar was at the back so gave the missus a tenner, went for a slash, got back and no change, it was £5 for yes a schooner..

Offline AnfieldIron

• Water Like a Stone. Local laundry service ...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2019, 11:59:04 am »
Schooners are a fucking nightmare.

McGuffies, a previous favourite of mine, switched to schooners a few years ago and as a result I don't go in anywhere near as often.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2019, 12:05:50 pm »
Schooners are a fucking nightmare.

McGuffies, a previous favourite of mine, switched to schooners a few years ago and as a result I don't go in anywhere near as often.

Yup, went in there during the summer and ordered a pint only for them to bring out a schooner (which they charge the same as a pint for, obviously). Last time I went.

Seriously any place serving schooners over pints is just trying to fleece customers. No other reason.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2019, 03:07:31 pm »
Yup, went in there during the summer and ordered a pint only for them to bring out a schooner (which they charge the same as a pint for, obviously). Last time I went.

Seriously any place serving schooners over pints is just trying to fleece customers. No other reason.

Are they doing this for normal ABV beers? I can see it for some 7% IPA, a 568ml pint's a bit much of something dead strong. But if they're doing it for 4-5% beers than that's a pure scam

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2019, 03:09:02 pm »

It's amazing all the fuss the Brexit loons made about using metric weights and measures for trade, Metric Martyrs, appealing to the European Court of Justice etc. but not a fucking peep about legally serving only 2/3 of a pint, but charging full price.

If this is an example of "taking control" well I'm going to be blimming mad.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2019, 03:12:43 pm »
And on another point, back in the 60s the Slaughterhouse used to serve sherry or sherry equivalent by the schooner but that wasn't 2/3 of a pint, it was more a large spirit measure. When I say sherry it was probably Aussie White but you lessened your chances of getting your head kicked in at Yates's.

Why don't the hipster take their schooners and fuck off back to San Francisco or wherever they came from.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2019, 03:15:29 pm »
Are they doing this for normal ABV beers? I can see it for some 7% IPA, a 568ml pint's a bit much of something dead strong. But if they're doing it for 4-5% beers than that's a pure scam

Yep, it was a standard Kozel lager I got and they only did schooners (was £4.30+ I believe too).

My missus likes a few of the cocktails in there, and the gin isn’t bad too, so often wants to go but pisses me right off.

Online Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: September 24, 2019, 05:39:25 pm »

Same here . Not exactly a regular , but never had a problem in there .Pity really , not that many pubs about with character anymore .

I only ever go there of a weekend , but it's nearly always chocker , so don't think it's anything to do with losing custom .

Dave's a big red , so all good in my book .

The regulars loved Dave and his quirks, it is nothing to do with driving anyone away. He is retiring for family reasons.

Hopefully the new owners will keep a similar beer line up, as it was one of the best pints you could get in town.
There's been loads of gushing and fake looking reviews on tripadvisor over the last week.  One talks about the "lovely food". The extent of the food offering is they have put a fucking pie warmer on the bar, the place doesn't even have a kitchen.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 05:41:29 pm by Craig S »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: September 24, 2019, 09:58:56 pm »
The regulars loved Dave and his quirks, it is nothing to do with driving anyone away. He is retiring for family reasons.

Hopefully the new owners will keep a similar beer line up, as it was one of the best pints you could get in town.
There's been loads of gushing and fake looking reviews on tripadvisor over the last week.  One talks about the "lovely food". The extent of the food offering is they have put a fucking pie warmer on the bar, the place doesn't even have a kitchen.
:lmao

Still...lovely food!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:30 pm »

The Dispensary was my town local when Dave and his Missus took over and it was a quality pint before and still is . I don't go there often these days but Iam sure it will still serve quality ale.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2019, 07:05:14 am »
The Dispensary was my town local when Dave and his Missus took over and it was a quality pint before and still is . I don't go there often these days but Iam sure it will still serve quality ale.
Hopefully it won’t change too much, completely agree the ale is/was some of the best in town. Quite often it does change though unfortunately, especially a freehouse. Will usually be the landlord that chose it well and then kept it well. Going for a bit of a crawl round some of my old haunts on Monday so will give it a try.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2019, 01:55:27 pm »
Someone said Dave was the worst manager in Liverpool... so I had to ask the question...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/FAQ_Answers-g186337-d3672653-t7721236-Is_he_worse_than_Marco_Silva.html

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #268 on: September 26, 2019, 08:32:20 am »
haha nice one  :D

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: September 26, 2019, 01:57:21 pm »
Hope they keep the Titanic Plum Porter

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #270 on: September 26, 2019, 02:50:47 pm »
I remember being literally thrown out of there in 1988 and battered outside. Some scallies didn't like my smart arse comments during a game of pool. Barman stepped in (presumably this mad Dave fella?) saying, "Let the lad finish his game first...." and I thought yeah thanks for that cos I knew I was gonna get filled in as soon as the black went in ;) Mad place. Never went back ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #271 on: September 26, 2019, 04:39:22 pm »
I remember being literally thrown out of there in 1988 and battered outside. Some scallies didn't like my smart arse comments during a game of pool. Barman stepped in (presumably this mad Dave fella?) saying, "Let the lad finish his game first...." and I thought yeah thanks for that cos I knew I was gonna get filled in as soon as the black went in ;) Mad place. Never went back ;D

Just  :D
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #272 on: September 26, 2019, 08:05:51 pm »

Can't remember the Dizzy having a pool table?

Mind you not sure what year I first went in there. A pool table though? Would have taken half the pub up? Where was it?
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #273 on: September 26, 2019, 08:19:41 pm »

Mind you not sure what year I first went in there. A pool table though? Would have taken half the pub up? Where was it?

Got destroyed during all the carnage and mayhem...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: September 26, 2019, 08:59:52 pm »

Front room - main bar. You know, I'm not sure it was called The Dispensary back then - we are talking the one close to the bombed out church, right?

*Edit - yup deffo the same place.......what was it called before that then?  ???
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 09:22:02 pm by 24/7 »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #275 on: September 27, 2019, 12:09:09 am »
Front room - main bar. You know, I'm not sure it was called The Dispensary back then - we are talking the one close to the bombed out church, right?

*Edit - yup deffo the same place.......what was it called before that then?  ???

Can't remember. Back then I was more into going to the Conte, Plummers, Streets, Chaucers, Chauffers, Central, Pickwicks and the like :)
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: September 27, 2019, 01:12:08 pm »
Can't remember. Back then I was more into going to the Conte, Plummers, Streets, Chaucers, Chauffers, Central, Pickwicks and the like :)
Conte was ace ;D - after the Dispensary (or whatever it was called - am sure it had a different name), I'd be around the corner down Bold St in Macs or the Mardi ;)

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2019, 02:47:43 pm »
^ peak town, in my opinion,  late 80s :D

There was one with a washing machine, the roscoe or roscoe head? there were 2 right?
It would take weeks to go through all the boozers in town back then

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: September 27, 2019, 04:02:56 pm »
^ peak town, in my opinion,  late 80s :D
Yup, until The State tried too hard to be too like the Haçienda ;) Couldn't quite get comfortable with the juxtaposition between scallies throwing beer all over themselves when singing Don't You Forget About Me, or goths looking sad when anything by The Smiths or even Whole Of The Moon was playing, versus ACIIIIIEEEEEEED! ACIIIIIEEEEEEED! Poor bouncers didn't know what to do some nights......

Anyway - Dispensary - can anyone put me out of me misery? Has is changed its name since 1988?!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: September 27, 2019, 05:17:36 pm »
Yup, until The State tried too hard to be too like the Haçienda ;) Couldn't quite get comfortable with the juxtaposition between scallies throwing beer all over themselves when singing Don't You Forget About Me, or goths looking sad when anything by The Smiths or even Whole Of The Moon was playing, versus ACIIIIIEEEEEEED! ACIIIIIEEEEEEED! Poor bouncers didn't know what to do some nights......

Anyway - Dispensary - can anyone put me out of me misery? Has is changed its name since 1988?!

There was a Dispensary pub in Chester St Birkenhead which closed in 2007. It's now Gallaghers.

I always thought that this one and Dave's were connected?