Author Topic: The Dispensary pub (Under new ownership)  (Read 87894 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: The Dispensary pub (stay away)
« Reply #200 on: February 24, 2016, 10:07:53 am »
Oh and Dave is a good Red and goes to the game as well.

Reading the stories in here, they are all bollocks. You can't put your coat on the seat - you have to hang it on hooks  etc. etc.

All shite. I have seen him a bit narky now and then and I've seen him arguing with a customer now and then, but nothing nuts.
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2016, 01:28:40 pm »

Reading the stories in here, they are all bollocks. You can't put your coat on the seat - you have to hang it on hooks  etc. etc.

All shite. I have seen him a bit narky now and then and I've seen him arguing with a customer now and then, but nothing nuts.

Is that you Dave? ;D

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #202 on: February 24, 2016, 01:59:55 pm »

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #203 on: February 24, 2016, 07:12:19 pm »

He barred you once ;)
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2016, 11:21:24 pm »
It reminds me of that daft c*nt in Boys From The Blackstuff.

"Shake Hands"     :D

Offline justsean

• Two goals in his first two minutes of match commentary. Take a bow...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: March 9, 2016, 10:33:41 am »
The trip advisor page for this place is comedy gold !

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #206 on: March 9, 2016, 04:46:07 pm »
^ - I just had a read through the most recent, the reasons he bars people are boss: elbows on tables, singing happy birthday, ordering tap water  ...   

:D

This was gold.

“Ruined an 80th birthday party”

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186337-d3672653-r325519023-The_Dispensary-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Offline crackerbox

• Yes boys, shorts weather
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up n' about
I was in Alder Hay with an abscess on my hip in about 1973 and Bill Shankly never came and played the bongos for me.

http://twitter.com/crackerboxx

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #208 on: March 16, 2016, 12:00:24 pm »
He barred you once ;)

No he didn't. He threatened to bar Larry, but I had a word with him and he changed his mind.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: March 16, 2016, 11:46:01 pm »
No he didn't. He threatened to bar Larry, but I had a word with him and he changed his mind.
Didn't involve Horses Heads did it. You bar my mate and you insult me. Capice ;D
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2016, 01:17:44 am »
Zoe's lovely
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2016, 02:10:12 pm »
Didn't involve Horses Heads did it. You bar my mate and you insult me. Capice ;D

He's a good bod, Dave. Was talking to him the other day.

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2016, 03:45:15 pm »

He's a good bod, Dave. Was talking to him the other day.

Is he still a season ticket holder?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #213 on: March 31, 2016, 04:32:21 pm »
Is he still a season ticket holder?

As far as I know. He's not going to Germany though.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2016, 04:06:52 pm »
This was gold.

“Ruined an 80th birthday party”

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186337-d3672653-r325519023-The_Dispensary-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT
Just installed Trip advisor app to read more, been we worth it  ;)
but for me the biggest difficulty with the pub is attempting to look as if I've not been drinking after I've left.
I wish I had younger legs.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline crackerbox

• Yes boys, shorts weather
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up n' about
« Reply #215 on: April 14, 2016, 01:29:56 pm »
As far as I know. He's not going to Germany though.
They probably wouldn't have allowed him in the country anyway.
I was in Alder Hay with an abscess on my hip in about 1973 and Bill Shankly never came and played the bongos for me.

http://twitter.com/crackerboxx

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 15, 2016, 11:55:24 pm »
I saw Dave earlier today. He was on the Kop for the Hillsborough memorial service.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2016, 06:04:24 pm »
Heard today that Dave threw Sean Bean out of the pub awhile back for asking for a taste of one of the beers.  Don't know how true it is but I know he's filming in our church all this week and the guy who told me used to run the Bridewell so I wouldn't be surprised.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:16:06 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2016, 09:49:20 pm »
A relative  of mine was in ye crack last weekend, and on the table next to her were Sean Bean, and Anna  Friel.
Apparently  Sean Bean is currently  filming a tale about a Liverpool  priest.

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #219 on: February 2, 2017, 09:44:04 am »
Been in here twice in the last month - the first time I didn't actually know it was the same place I'd read about here - the second time I went back out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about.

Both times were fine. Spent a good few hours in there. Good beer, ok atmosphere and no craziness from the owner.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: February 2, 2017, 10:11:40 am »
A relative  of mine was in ye crack last weekend, and on the table next to her were Sean Bean, and Anna  Friel.
Apparently  Sean Bean is currently  filming a tale about a Liverpool  priest.

Filmed up by my church in November.  Did a bit of extras work for it.  Sean Bean's hands are very soft.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: February 2, 2017, 11:11:37 am »
Filmed up by my church in November.  Did a bit of extras work for it.  Sean Bean's hands are very soft.
Oo'err missus!  :o

I'd say, the confessional is over there, squire.  ;)

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: February 2, 2017, 12:19:57 pm »
Well he WAS playing a priest.  ;D

Nah, was in the congregation and we all shook hands with him as we filed out.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #223 on: October 20, 2018, 08:13:40 pm »
In here now. Debating if to try and make him kick off just for be story, and because I’m me and it won’t be too hard to be a knob  ;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #224 on: October 20, 2018, 08:16:29 pm »
In here now. Debating if to try and make him kick off just for be story, and because I’m me and it won’t be too hard to be a knob  ;D

Go on. Make his day. Order a glass of tap water, which he is legally obliged to provide free of charge under Licensing law.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #225 on: October 20, 2018, 10:09:23 pm »
Ask for extra napkins in case your sandwich is wet...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2018, 10:34:46 am »
I've never seen any problems in there when I've had a drink in there, I just don't like the place, can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't feel like a pub.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2018, 08:32:54 pm »
I like going in here for the sheer entertainment value of watching the antics of the landlord, pretty sure he had a pop at us last time we were in there about having our coats on the seats, which really wound up my dad - it just tickled me! Mentioned about going in for a pint yesterday, to which my dad grumbled something about him not deserving the business. Anyway we ended up watching the match in the Roscoe Arms, great atmosphere really enjoyable - especially the bowl of scouse provided at half time! Although I must admit to having a glance over the road a couple of times towards the Dispensary wondering what was going on in that parallel universe, perhaps I just have a morbid fascination with weird places!

;D
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #228 on: October 22, 2018, 08:42:54 am »
I like going in here for the sheer entertainment value of watching the antics of the landlord, pretty sure he had a pop at us last time we were in there about having our coats on the seats, which really wound up my dad - it just tickled me! Mentioned about going in for a pint yesterday, to which my dad grumbled something about him not deserving the business. Anyway we ended up watching the match in the Roscoe Arms, great atmosphere really enjoyable - especially the bowl of scouse provided at half time! Although I must admit to having a glance over the road a couple of times towards the Dispensary wondering what was going on in that parallel universe, perhaps I just have a morbid fascination with weird places!

;D

That's a big no-no in there, hence why he's put a load of coat hooks up on the walls.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: October 22, 2018, 11:37:18 am »
It's interesting that the reviews on Trip Advisor are mostly 5 (Excellent) or 1 (Terrible).

The beer lovers love the dispensary, this is a good example of a good review:

Visited this place twice now. Yes the landlord doesn't like the inappropriate use of mobile phones, doesn't give tasters, doesn't provide a public toilet, prefers to profit from the high turn-over of an ace product rather than high prices on a product of marginal quality, and he does like Iron Maiden. If any of those things disturb you, stay well clear.
The beer in this establishment puts the Dispensary into our global top 10, no, top 5. It is outstanding and I'm currently racking my brains for an excuse to get back there soon: Liverpool's Pre-Raphaelite paintings and beer from the Dispensary, a match made in heaven - Bill MC

although (ironically) under no circumstances mention you are there because of good reviews on trip advisor;

We got into conversation with Dave the Landlord I foolishly said I used Trip Advisor for choosing restaurants/ pubs/ hotels when away from home He suddenly flew into a rage ... and Barred us from our Favourite Pub in Liverpool -   (Roy L)

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: October 22, 2018, 09:14:00 pm »
:lmao poor Roy!

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: October 23, 2018, 08:42:03 am »
Hahahaha brilliant!
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #232 on: October 23, 2018, 07:16:35 pm »
:lmao brilliant that kavah

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: October 23, 2018, 10:19:01 pm »
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g186337-d3672653-Reviews-The_Dispensary-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html

Wow - it seems like the reviews have been getting worse in recent times, but this one made me chuckle from last year about the warning signs - the reviewer actually awards 3 stars:-

Reviewed 26 October 2017 - "Decent beer but the place is obsessed with warning notices"

I popped in here with a friend, a few days ago, unaware of the reviews here on Tripadvisor. I've read many of them now and do not doubt what is said.

What struck me during my visit was the sheer number of 'warning' notices pinned to the walls. First off, there's the notice that "The toilets are for customers only". I didn't see anything about customers not being allowed to use the toilets until they had purchased and begun to drink their beer, which has come out from a number of reviews.

Behind the bar, more notices all vied for space on the mirror. "No credit cards!" "No tasters!" Elsewhere, there was a big notice threatening all manner of evil on anybody bringing food onto the premises. "Do not stand here!", "Do not sit there!", "Do not do this!" "Do not do that!". They went on and on.

Sadly, I don't think I met the landlord, whom I see is a bit of a character.

As for the beer. It was fine. We had something called White Rat. Very nice.

Well at least you can't say you haven't been warned if you get barred!

:lmao
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #234 on: October 30, 2018, 01:51:14 am »
Been in here twice in the last month - the first time I didn't actually know it was the same place I'd read about here - the second time I went back out of curiosity to see what all the fuss was about.

Both times were fine. Spent a good few hours in there. Good beer, ok atmosphere and no craziness from the owner.

Is how it is most of the time
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: October 30, 2018, 12:51:14 pm »
Is how it is most of the time

Went in on Sunday after a few friends had done the Scouse 5k.

As the evening wore on, he start making a few remarks to us about keeping our shit together, nothing major.

It’s a nice boozer and there is plenty of choice in town so, if it’s not your cup of tea, easy enough to move on. I probably won’t be rushing back.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 4, 2018, 10:46:19 pm »

;D

I dunno.  Been to Goodison lately? ;D

Or is that a weird fascination with a morbid place?

Popcorn's Art

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #237 on: November 4, 2018, 11:19:30 pm »
I feel the "stay away" part of the thread title is unfair and possibly disruptive to their business, can it at least get a ?. It is down to the individual if  they want  this type of experience when drinking good beer.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #238 on: November 5, 2018, 09:34:10 am »
I dunno.  Been to Goodison lately? ;D

Or is that a weird fascination with a morbid place?

It's a bit like those who visit old asylums at full moon.

But Goodison, that's a step too far.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: November 5, 2018, 02:43:43 pm »
I feel the "stay away" part of the thread title is unfair and possibly disruptive to their business, can it at least get a ?. It is down to the individual if  they want  this type of experience when drinking good beer.

Nah this is free advertising - I never would have heard of the place were it not for this thread, now I want to pay it a visit.