Author Topic: Liverpool City Council  (Read 110281 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool Mayor
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2016, 03:53:40 pm »
But what precisely would you change about the council budget?

I can't comment on the budget.  I've told you my chief concern is the student economy; the glacial slowness of the Council to recognise and respond to what will be a major hole in the budget four years down the line that could cost us a fortune, and the need to start putting together a contingency plan to deal with it now.  Otherwise the city will only ever be reacting to situations and in a state of permanent crisis management.

I would cancel the plans to demolish Lime Street and replace it with yet further student accomodation and "retail units" that I am not convinced there is a market for under current economic conditions.  Student accommodation should be handled by the universities themselves; let them worry about where they are going to put their students.

I know you wont agree as you don't consider the student economy to be an issue.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2016, 04:05:27 pm »
I can't comment on the budget.  I've told you my chief concern is the student economy; the glacial slowness of the Council to recognise and respond to what will be a major hole in the budget four years down the line that could cost us a fortune, and the need to start putting together a contingency plan to deal with it now.  Otherwise the city will only ever be reacting to situations and in a state of permanent crisis management.

I would cancel the plans to demolish Lime Street and replace it with yet further student accomodation and "retail units" that I am not convinced there is a market for under current economic conditions.  Student accommodation should be handled by the universities themselves; let them worry about where they are going to put their students.

I know you wont agree as you don't consider the student economy to be an issue.

Nothing to gain from cancelling plans to demolish Lime St (which will be well underway before the election in any case) and no point going in more circles about student accomodation, it's still not that big a deal. They have to live somewhere, and other people have to pay council tax wherever they live in the city. Next you'll be saying you want to "save the futurist" or some other huge rotting cash pit of little obvious value. (I don't see any campaign to save X in the City or that grotty little chippy, funny that.)

Certainly a move to more family accommodation in the centre is an interesting idea, although I don't think it's going to be a big winner in the near future when we have so many residential areas surrounding the centre as it is, and a shortage of schools and other facilities in the centre to deal with a huge and sudden change in the demographic. Personally, I don't think Lime St is an ideal spot to raise a family, but good luck to you if you do.

A shortage of quality office space is probably more of a vital question at this point.

Basically, it's fiddling while Rome burns. The city is experiencing a unique crisis of public funding, but also sits at the edge of some huge opportunities for investment and development, all of which are much higher priority issues than whether or not more student accommodation is built which again is more of a zoning/planning issue, although doubtless one where the Mayor should be taking a firmer lead.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2016, 07:14:26 pm »
One of the good things I can see coming through with the continuing student accommodation is the freeing up of a lot of housing around the smithdown road / wavertree area , I do work for a landlord in them areas and he's thinking of selling because of the slowdown of student interest there , so it may turn out not too bad in a few years .

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2016, 12:54:51 pm »
Looks like we could be stuck with Joe as Liverpool Mayor as Steve Rotheram enters race for Merseyside Mayor

Steve Rotheram MP enters Liverpool Metro Mayor race

Labour MP Steve Rotheram, who represents Liverpool Walton, has entered the race to be the first Metro Mayor for the Liverpool City Region.

The current mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson and Luciana Berger, MP for Liverpool Wavertree, are also considering standing.

Last week Merseyside-born Andy Burnham announced plans to run for a similar post in Greater Manchester.

Elections for mayor of the Liverpool City Region will be held in 2017.

The area covers five Merseyside councils - Liverpool, St Helens, Knowsley, Sefton and Wirral - as well as Halton in Cheshire.

Mr Rotheram said: "I have received such an overwhelming number of individuals and organisations who have contacted me encouraging me to do what they believe would be the right thing for the whole city region and its people."

Pledging that no borough would be "left behind", he added: "I will be announcing a number of priorities over the coming weeks that will provide the basis for my manifesto for change and outline my strategic vision for the City Region."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-36356624

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2016, 01:28:06 pm »
Looks like we could be stuck with Joe as Liverpool Mayor as Steve Rotheram enters race for Merseyside Mayor

Steve Rotheram MP enters Liverpool Metro Mayor race

Labour MP Steve Rotheram, who represents Liverpool Walton, has entered the race to be the first Metro Mayor for the Liverpool City Region.

The current mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson and Luciana Berger, MP for Liverpool Wavertree, are also considering standing.

Last week Merseyside-born Andy Burnham announced plans to run for a similar post in Greater Manchester.

Elections for mayor of the Liverpool City Region will be held in 2017.

The area covers five Merseyside councils - Liverpool, St Helens, Knowsley, Sefton and Wirral - as well as Halton in Cheshire.

Mr Rotheram said: "I have received such an overwhelming number of individuals and organisations who have contacted me encouraging me to do what they believe would be the right thing for the whole city region and its people."

Pledging that no borough would be "left behind", he added: "I will be announcing a number of priorities over the coming weeks that will provide the basis for my manifesto for change and outline my strategic vision for the City Region."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-36356624

The regional Mayorhood is probably going to be a far more important role, so could be for the best. Presumably the local Labour groups will have to select one of Anderson, Berger and Rotherham before it goes to the public vote.

Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2016, 01:57:13 pm »
The regional Mayorhood is probably going to be a far more important role, so could be for the best. Presumably the local Labour groups will have to select one of Anderson, Berger and Rotherham before it goes to the public vote.

Agree - Much rather have Rotherham for regional Mayorhood. Hopefully will rein in some of Joe's schemes.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2016, 04:57:05 pm »
How come the role of Mayor came up anyway?  What's the thought behind creating the role in the first place?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2016, 05:14:21 pm »
How come the role of Mayor came up anyway?  What's the thought behind creating the role in the first place?

It's a trade-off with central government, the bigger metropolitan areas get their own mayors and with that more flexibility in how those areas are run. So for Liverpool and Manchester regions, both of which are heavily Labour territories, it means a degree of independence from Whitehall in terms of things like setting local business rates and the ability to directly raise more of their own budgets, rather than always needing money from the government's local authorities budget, which is shrinking at a terrifying rate.

In principle it means greater autonomy for the big cities of the North (and consequently less hassle for Westminster) with big name accountable figures as Mayors to lead them. In practice, the government talks the talk on devolution of power, but actually hates to let it go, hence Eric Pickles' constant interference in Liverpool Council's housing redevelopment plans and the like.

We've had Joe Anderson as Liverpool Mayor for a while now, but next year there will be a new role for a regional Mayor with responsibility not just for Liverpool, but also for Sefton, Knowsley, Wirral, Halton and St Helens. Big Joe's made no secret of wanting the job, but the leaders of the other five councils aren't in love with the idea for a combination of personal and political reasons and it's been a bit of a sticking point.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2016, 06:31:10 pm »
I'd be made up if Rotheram goes for the Regional Mayor.  All the other Labour groups on Merseyside can't stand Anderson and his bully boy tactics, so Steve would make an excellent choice that would scupper Joe's ambitions at the same time.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2016, 10:27:41 am »
Steve is going for it by all accounts.  Also think he'd do a very good job.
Luciana Berger has announced she is standing as well, I'd be very surprised though if she got the Labour nomination/won a vote of party members.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2016, 10:50:56 am »
Steve is going for it by all accounts.  Also think he'd do a very good job.
Luciana Berger has announced she is standing as well, I'd be very surprised though if she got the Labour nomination/won a vote of party members.

Might have been interesting to see her take on Joe, but Rotheram is probably still better known locally.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2016, 06:18:08 pm »
Luciana Berger has started her campaign.

www.lucianaformayor.co.uk
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2016, 07:59:23 pm »
Might have been interesting to see her take on Joe, but Rotheram is probably still better known locally.

Luciana Berger is very popular by all accounts. I live in Steve's constituency and will be attending our ward meeting next week to back him as apparently it's between him and Joe according to the note that came through the door.

Joe Anderson makes my skin crawl, and I wouldn't trust him looking after the dog, let alone the whole area.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2016, 09:33:30 pm »
Boring three choices for Labour. Meh.  Just waiting for some policies now.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:37:39 pm by OOS »
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #94 on: June 1, 2016, 06:53:23 am »
Boring three choices for Labour. Meh.  Just waiting for some policies now.

How is Steve Rotheram boring? 
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 1, 2016, 04:46:15 pm »
Anderson's cross with Burnham now. Which is weird since he wants to be Mayor of the Liverpool Metro Region and Andy is going for the equivalent post in Manchester, so they'd probably need to work together a fair bit.

He does seem to take things very personally, big Joe, doesn't he?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/01/liverpools-mayor-ignorant-insensitive-andy-burnham

Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 12, 2017, 04:50:23 pm »
In case you hadn't heard,Joe Anderson will be on Radio Merseyside tomorrow(Friday) from 12 til 1 taking questions from callers.

Offline CONFIAMOS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Joe Anderson Mayor of Liverpool
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2018, 10:44:13 am »
I’m a bit out of the loop with this as I don’t live around town any more.

Has Anderson always been a tit when it comes to football and the Ev / LFC rivalry? Some of his recent behaviour is absolutely bizarre, culminating in him sending a report on the Lallana penalty to the Met Police.

Seems almost Trump-like in his paranoia.

Yes. He's a fat selfish prick.
The problems facing the working class of the city and he loses it over Ross Barkley going to Chelsea etc etc  He's bad beaut

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2018, 11:55:06 am »
In case you hadn't heard,Joe Anderson will be on Radio Merseyside tomorrow(Friday) from 12 til 1 taking questions from callers.

would listen but honestly cant stand the sound of the fat c*nt's voice....constantly talks over people, spits his dummy out and gets aggressive with any dissenting point of view.....and never, never fuckin shuts up.....criminal that a goon like this holds a position of power and authority....makes the city a laughing stock
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2018, 06:45:57 pm »
would listen but honestly cant stand the sound of the fat c*nt's voice....constantly talks over people, spits his dummy out and gets aggressive with any dissenting point of view.....and never, never fuckin shuts up.....criminal that a goon like this holds a position of power and authority....makes the city a laughing stock
You're a year too late anyway  ;D   ;D

Offline ArthurDooley82

• Box-clever, non-pink, manly man's man. Contact for more details. No bibs! Grrrr :)
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2018, 12:02:24 am »

Most depressing radio show in the fkn world radio Merseyside apart from when the footy is on.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2018, 07:15:53 am »

Thank fuck for that  ;D
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:40 pm »

:D :D
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2018, 12:24:40 pm »
Most depressing radio show in the fkn world radio Merseyside apart from when the footy is on.

You're not wrong . Used to listen to it as I couldn't stand the alternatives . Could only take so much of the gloom and dreary content though and fucked it off.

Listen to Radio City talk now on the comute - mostly pretty good !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2018, 03:30:13 pm »
One of those with a sense of entitlement to rule & all he does is make himself more of a laughing stock that he already is, he's spit his dummy out at Steve Rotheram as meetings he had were cancelled since Steve Rotheram became the new Metro Mayor, problem is voters in Liverpool will mostly vote for a turd if it has a Red rossett on so Fat Joe always gets voted in.
#Sausages

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2018, 12:09:00 pm »
On a phone-in on Radio Merseyside now till 1.00pm
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2018, 09:08:24 pm »
Listened to the first twenty minutes or so and his view of the stadium . He's got the blue side all excited because he said the council are putting in £280 million and moshiri the rest so there taking it as red well blue that means it's out of his arse pocket .

His reasoning behind it being no risk is on really dodgy ground . He cites Warrington borrowing to invest in omega park and then goes onto ask if apple came along and wanted to borrow off the council to build and create 10-000 jobs then everyone would be urging him to do so , but because it's a football stadium then
partisan behaviour is coming into it .

No one seemed to challenge him on the fact that omega and apple would build office space , warehousing etc which if they went bust can be attractive to other companies ..a  football stadium going bust has no other use
Except to a football team , can he not foresee a scenario  were a relegated everton with £600 million pound worth of debt goes bust and then a new Everton takes the stadium on restructured terms leaving council tax payers to foot the bill .

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2018, 09:15:54 pm »
Did anyone ask him about the Barclay transfer?
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2018, 09:38:05 pm »
He said that there will be no houses built on Sefton Park Meadows.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2018, 03:05:25 pm »
He said that there will be no houses built on Sefton Park Meadows.
Which disappoints me, controversially :)
We need quality houses in the city, we don't need an unused field adjacent to a beautiful park.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2018, 05:45:27 pm »
Which disappoints me, controversially :)
We need quality houses in the city, we don't need an unused field adjacent to a beautiful park.

An unused field?.....the Meadows are teeming with wildlife and 100 plus Horse Chestnut, Lime and Ash trees - it's an integral part of the environment that surrounds, enhances and complements the park....scandalous that the council would even consider destroying the area with a Redrow estate

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2018, 10:34:35 pm »
For half a dozen houses? I can see the need for high end property in the south end, but more needed than would fit on this patch.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2018, 12:18:21 am »
An unused field?.....the Meadows are teeming with wildlife and 100 plus Horse Chestnut, Lime and Ash trees - it's an integral part of the environment that surrounds, enhances and complements the park....scandalous that the council would even consider destroying the area with a Redrow estate
I was born in Aigburth in 1962, I played football on Sefton Park on the various flat places from age 9 to 35, the latter outside Kesey's flat probably. Never, not once ever was it an option to go and play football there. It was a dogshit walk field, not a fucking meadows. If you claim differently its because you've always lived in L18,or somewhere else, not L17.

P, 'teeming with wildlife' my arse. They're not even proper conker trees, they're just trees that can be replaced. We need houses. It's just useless land ffs. The fuss bewilders me.

And describing it as a 'field' will make environmentalist understandably go mental. It's unused green land  ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:03:47 am by John C »

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2018, 12:16:11 pm »
so because you've never played footy on there its an unused field?  ;D ....utter fuckin yarbles mate....I know the area very well indeed...lived in the Dingle, had a flat in the park, still have family there, still bevvy there and have walked my dogs in the park and on the meadows every weekend for the past 25 years.....the meadows is in the Sefton Park conservation area, its part of Liverpool’s green infrastructure, it’s part of Liverpool’s wildlife corridors..and it's an historic green space in its own right with landscape and design features that both complement and reflect the park that it forms an entrance to....and that's not to mention the ecological and environmental benefits of the 110 mature trees that line it...really cant understand anyone with an interest in the area thinking otherwise ................................Anyway it would appear that The Fat Controller has lost another battle against the city's heritage (the Walton Hall park plan was even more scandalous ) so hats off to all those who have steadfastly campaigned against this council's shortsighted fuckwit proposals for the past 5 years :thumbup ....

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2018, 12:44:05 pm »
Not just because we didn't play footy there  ;D  it's been unused entirely for 50 years. Most people wouldn't even have known if it was maintained or not until they wanted to build on it. It's not even a field, it's land adjacent to a beautiful park.

And I know I'm in a minority  ;D   local people will despise my opinion, it's environmental vandalism. My cousin who was born on Victoria Road and would slit my throat if she read this. I'm just very supportive of building more decent homes in the city.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2018, 12:55:57 pm »
ok, in a effort to utilise it more I'll have a game of footy with you on there ....goaly on the spot...no blammers  8)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2018, 01:09:22 pm »
ok, in a effort to utilise it more I'll have a game of footy with you on there ....goaly on the spot...no blammers  8)
;D  Bagsy you're in goal, I'm not diving in all the dog shit there.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2018, 01:41:16 pm »
 ;D

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2018, 04:54:12 pm »
Not just because we didn't play footy there  ;D  it's been unused entirely for 50 years. Most people wouldn't even have known if it was maintained or not until they wanted to build on it. It's not even a field, it's land adjacent to a beautiful park.

And I know I'm in a minority  ;D   local people will despise my opinion, it's environmental vandalism. My cousin who was born on Victoria Road and would slit my throat if she read this. I'm just very supportive of building more decent homes in the city.

I'm with you, actually. Nobody ever uses the field because it's right next to a massive park. We don't need parks next to our parks.

The other thing about it that annoyed me is how the campaign to save this little field was so dishonest. Massive posters everywhere saying "Save Sefton Park" deliberately designed to make people think that the park itself was under threat. When you got up close they said "meadows" underneath in much smaller writing. If it's such a good cause, why lie?

Same people will complain that the council is closing libraries, state of the roads and everything else, then do nothing but moan when an alternative is suggested, and totally ignore the fact that the council can only play the shitty hand they are dealt by the government in the first place.

None of which makes me a fan of big Joe, but he does have a very difficult job.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2018, 09:01:30 pm »
the 'little field' for those not familiar with the area......

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 09:06:32 pm by Pistolero »