Author Topic: Liverpool City Council  (Read 110294 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Joe Anderson Mayor of Liverpool
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2018, 09:07:05 pm »
It's beautiful.  I'm sure if it were an old cinema, Fat Arse would have had it pulled down by now.  Use it or lose it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2018, 09:15:47 pm »
 :lmao  P got me the fucker, those pics make me look like a complete twat.

Online moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2018, 09:57:44 pm »
Yeah, can deffo fit more than six houses on it. I stand corrected. Still we should be careful not to let BFJ destroy our green spaces. Or our precious auld docks.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2018, 12:00:26 am »
It's beautiful.  I'm sure if it were an old cinema, Fat Arse would have had it pulled down by now.  Use it or lose it.

It's a small field. There's a lovely double row of trees along the side, and it's virtually impossible to walk past in autumn or winter if the weather has been a bit wet. (Although this is even worse on the opposite side by the park itself.)

A few staged pictures of some protesters on a picnic (and let's not forget that the ones who camped out on it were the same lot of "activists" who used a picture of James Bulger as a battering ram) doesn't change the fact that nobody ever goes there.

Anyway if it is being saved, that is nice, but it does mean that the roads around the park will continue to be a nightmare as the new development was going to include a covenant for the developers to maintain them. Swings and roundabouts.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2018, 01:18:17 am »
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2018, 09:07:48 am »
It's a small field. There's a lovely double row of trees along the side, and it's virtually impossible to walk past in autumn or winter if the weather has been a bit wet. (Although this is even worse on the opposite side by the park itself.)

A few staged pictures of some protesters on a picnic (and let's not forget that the ones who camped out on it were the same lot of "activists" who used a picture of James Bulger as a battering ram) doesn't change the fact that nobody ever goes there.

Anyway if it is being saved, that is nice, but it does mean that the roads around the park will continue to be a nightmare as the new development was going to include a covenant for the developers to maintain them. Swings and roundabouts.

Jeesus,  such a lack of understanding of the positive impact of green space on the urban environment and mental health of people,  amongst other things. 

Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2018, 10:52:29 am »
Jeesus,  such a lack of understanding of the positive impact of green space on the urban environment and mental health of people,  amongst other things.

Agreed.  If the roads need seeing to, let the council do it.  Oh, but that would cost them money....  still there's always Everton's new ground isn't there?

(Whenever Uncle Joe Stalin Anderson complains about not having any money to do anything in this city I hope somebody beats him with that particular stick until he bleeds.)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2018, 12:57:19 pm »

Mate, it's right next to one of the biggest public parks in the country.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2018, 01:38:37 pm »
Mate, it's right next to one of the biggest public parks in the country.

And spitting distance to Sudley Park and a short jog through Otterspool Park to the Prom.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2018, 01:40:56 pm »
And spitting distance to Sudley Park and a short jog through Otterspool Park to the Prom.

And about a mile from Princes Park, or Greenbank Park, maybe two from Calderstones... 
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2018, 01:56:06 pm »
And about a mile from Princes Park, or Greenbank Park, maybe two from Calderstones...

The 61 will get you to Caldies.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2018, 02:28:25 pm »
This is my point, we've got a ridiculous wealth of open spaces and football pitches in South Liverpool.

#buildhouses

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2018, 02:36:16 pm »
I'm with P on this.
The population is growing by about 400k a year..after losing this space to developers where is next,cut Sefton park by a third coz its massive?
There are better alternatives out there starting somehow with sorting the amount empty houses we have.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2018, 02:39:09 pm »
Don't see how getting rid of some nice greenery to put up yet another estate of Redrow £500k plus mansions really helps with any housing issues in the city?

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2018, 02:47:16 pm »
Agreed.  If the roads need seeing to, let the council do it.  Oh, but that would cost them money....  still there's always Everton's new ground isn't there?

(Whenever Uncle Joe Stalin Anderson complains about not having any money to do anything in this city I hope somebody beats him with that particular stick until he bleeds.)

You know that the council can't borrow to pay for the roads. I mean, you actually definitely do know that.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2018, 03:55:31 pm »
Don't see how getting rid of some nice greenery to put up yet another estate of Redrow £500k plus mansions really helps with any housing issues in the city?

Exactly....totally bewildering some of the responses in here....people - Liverpool people - are actually gutted because a clutch of executive houses weren't built on an historic beauty spot... ;D...its like Ive slipped into a parallel fuckin universe ....sort your swedes out ffs
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2018, 05:25:44 pm »
Exactly....totally bewildering some of the responses in here....people - Liverpool people - are actually gutted because a clutch of executive houses weren't built on an historic beauty spot... ;D...its like Ive slipped into a parallel fuckin universe ....sort your swedes out ffs

Who is gutted? And what is historic about the field?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2018, 07:30:07 pm »
The population is growing by about 400k a year..after losing this space to developers where is next,cut Sefton park by a third coz its massive?
Nobody is proposing that. How will we accommodate the increasing population then mate?
We need a range of houses P. If they are family homes they'll serve a valued a purpose, if they are executive homes they contribute to the councils funds. We need more high band homes that pay high band council tax.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2018, 07:43:47 pm »
Build some big fuck off homes on them and rake in the extra council money. This council needs more high paying people in the city than in Southport, Wirral and Hightown ect... If the extra dosh helps contribute to keeping open Children Centers and maintaining vital services for the people of this city, thats fine with me. This Tory government has decimated our budget, councils need to make hard decisions and find extra ways to raise revenue. Not like its a major field or such.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:28:18 pm by OOS »
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2018, 10:46:40 pm »
Build some big fuck off homes on them and rake in the extra council money. This council needs more high paying people in the city than in Southport, Wirral and Hightown ect... If the extra dosh helps contribute to keeping open Children Centers and maintaining vital services for the people of this city, thats fine with me. This Tory government has decimated our budget, councils need to make hard decisions and find extra ways to raise revenue. Not like its a major field or such.
People probably don't understand the importance of this. 15 years ago, the Councils then City Treasurer was saying exactly this.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2018, 11:04:13 pm »
People probably don't understand the importance of this. 15 years ago, the Councils then City Treasurer was saying exactly this.

We can all have a good laugh at Joes Everton comments and hes easy to take the piss out of, but hes done a fantastic job with the budget he has. 58% cut in funding with an aging and growing population! No children center, libarys, leisure centers, youth centers closed down, i think unded Joes watch since 2012. I could be wrong though.. The heart of our communities which benefit the least most. Other Labour councils and most definitely tory ones would have closed them.

We are struggling to provide statutory service's, thats how bad the cuts to funding is and we still have to find more "savings"!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:07:08 pm by OOS »
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2018, 11:10:01 pm »
We can all have a good laugh at Joes Everton comments and hes easy to take the piss out of, but hes done a fantastic job with the budget he has. 58% cut in funding with an aging and growing population! No children center, libarys, leisure centers, youth centers closed down. The heart of our communities which benefit the least most. Other Labour councils and most definitely tory ones would have closed them.

We are struggling to provide statutory service's, thats how bad the cuts to funding is and we still have to find more "savings"!
Every word in your post is accurate mate. Our loss of budget is about £160m since 2011. That's astonishing, fucking brutal, and besides seeing exceptionally poor road conditions a significant amount of residents will feel unaffected.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2018, 07:49:54 am »
Nobody is proposing that. How will we accommodate the increasing population then mate?

Thats the million dollar question John & won't pretend to be know all fuck all,i agree with all the demand for housing especially higher end but disagree that green belt land should disappear as a consequence.
Like i said we could start with the empty houses we have somehow.
I think the bollocks that is brexit will curb the population increase,Joe & the council have an almost impossible task making decisions with the cuts taken.
Drives me bonkers to see those cuts & then see the Police almost begging tax payers to pay more.
Me ma always said steer clear of politics,there are enough arseholes making decisions without me adding to them!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:51:35 am by Medellin »
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2018, 07:38:51 pm »
Now this is all just based on what I think I know.  Anything incorrect please feel free to amend.

The houses earmarked for the meadows were, I believe, meant to encourage high earners to move into the city.  Anderson points out - rightly - that Liverpool has a severe shortage of upper tier council tax residents.

I suppose from Anderon's pov renovating existing housing for these kinds of residents means much more than just doing up big old houses.  It means overhauling entire areas, from infrastructure to landscaping.  Presumably this is beyond our means and is considered either impractical or uneconomical by any potential business partner.

Restoring local housing for local people is also difficult as so many people are unfortunately on benefit.  There are huge swathes of depressed areas.  Doing the areas up without addressing the underlying problems is literally just turd polishing. 

That said, watching lovely old houses being knocked down and replaced with modern, identikit matchboxes is a sad sight to me.  Yes there are limits to what you can do with old housing stock but I don't think the options have been fully explored.  I'm guessing this is because developers have the council over a barrel to some degree when it comes to what gets built and where.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 24, 2018, 12:48:42 am »
Now this is all just based on what I think I know.  Anything incorrect please feel free to amend.

The houses earmarked for the meadows were, I believe, meant to encourage high earners to move into the city.  Anderson points out - rightly - that Liverpool has a severe shortage of upper tier council tax residents.

I suppose from Anderon's pov renovating existing housing for these kinds of residents means much more than just doing up big old houses.  It means overhauling entire areas, from infrastructure to landscaping.  Presumably this is beyond our means and is considered either impractical or uneconomical by any potential business partner.

Restoring local housing for local people is also difficult as so many people are unfortunately on benefit.  There are huge swathes of depressed areas.  Doing the areas up without addressing the underlying problems is literally just turd polishing. 

That said, watching lovely old houses being knocked down and replaced with modern, identikit matchboxes is a sad sight to me.  Yes there are limits to what you can do with old housing stock but I don't think the options have been fully explored.  I'm guessing this is because developers have the council over a barrel to some degree when it comes to what gets built and where.

You're pretty much right as I see it. (Although it's also just moving higher earners who already live here into higher council tax bands and freeing up more housing stock at the lower end of the market.)

If you don't want to knock down buildings, and you don't want to build on empty land, your options are going to be very limited.

For developers, there doesn't seem to be as much profit in renovating old houses. It's a slow and expensive process, and the end result will never have the market value of new housing. The way we do even social housing now is usually that it is part of a larger development, and to make that happen, you need either serious public money, which isn't there, or a commercial partnership, which will want to maximise their profit. So new houses makes more sense than old ones.

As for the "lovely old houses" yes, some of them could potentially have a lot more life in them, but most simply were never built to last as long as they have in the first place. The "Welsh Streets" being a prime example, where residents actually voted to have the lot knocked down before some "helpful" types got involved to stop it and left the area utterly derelict for a decade, benefitting no-one. Now there is some work being done, but those houses still do not have basic foundations, and will probably still be prone to the problems that come with that, thanks to the short-thinking of the people who put them up in the first place.

Then there's areas like Anfield where speculators bought up houses on the cheap and left them empty, and the Housing Associations who took on a lot of the stock could do nothing with them. Again, you end up with "tinned up" empty housing, and after a few years of that, no matter what you do, it's going to cost more to put that right than if it had been done as people moved out. (Yes, LFC owned a handful of these. Not nearly as many as was often reported, though.)

And we all know the great crime of selling off the council houses and the council being prevented from reinvesting the money in new housing, which was insanity. So now we have a quite predictable crisis.

And then the Bedroom Tax came along, throwing a further spanner in the works, making one-bedroom properties, which have never been built in great numbers to begin with, the only thing available to large numbers of people on HB. Housing Associations now have three and four bed properties they can't fill and massive waiting lists for small numbers of converted one bed flats, so the "cost cutting" measure has actually meant a huge waste of perfectly good housing, and over demand for a type that may as well not exist.

It is, in short, an absolute shambles, and no Mayor could solve it. What is happening now, though, is quite a lot of new housing being built and a lot of that derelict stock finally being refurbished. There are still huge waiting lists for social housing, and private slum landlords are making fat profits from the taxpayer off inadequate housing that nobody can afford to move out of.

For me, part of the solution should be a rent cap, based on Council Tax bands and LHA rates. So, for example, you can't rent out a Band A property for more than the appropriate LHA rate, and Band B would be LHA+25% or something. (And to hush down the "investors" anything over Band D is fair game, charge what you like.) After all, if the government are happy enough to tell the "customers" what the maximum they can pay should be, then why should landlords get to charge two or three times as much for the most basic (again by official government policy) standards of property? Partner this with offers for HAs and local authorities to buy up affected rented housing at market rate.

That would remove some of the grubbier landlords and agencies from the picture, and strict regulation of the rest, with a much tougher licensing system, would at least mean that there is decent, affordable housing out there for more people.

Otherwise, I can see us going back to the high-rise route, but on a bigger scale.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 24, 2018, 06:12:11 pm »
There are so many unused houses in Liverpool its ridiculous. The buy a house for one pound scheme was a fantastic Idea but seems hard to get. I would love to have an opportunity to buy one.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 24, 2018, 06:27:25 pm »
There is an anomaly in higher rated council tax values and the vast majority of houses in liverpool should never be higher than a band e , the rating is based on the value of your home or a similar size home in the area in 1991 . I bought my second home newly built in 1999 and paid 74k and was put in band D but appealed as I new in 1991 the same houses were beng sold for 64k,  after being refused a band drop I took it to the appeal tribunal and a few days before the case was told it was accepted I was in the wrong band .

Liverpool house prices have risen IMO more than any local region in merseyside  twenty odd years ago houses of similar style in southport birkdale where valued a lot higher than here but that's not so now . If anyone thinks there in the wrong band based on a 1991 value you can ask for it to be dropped and a refund of previous council tax .

So buying a 320 grand house doesn't or should not necessarily get you in band H as a house around Sefton meadows area may only have been valued at 120k 27 years ago so should only be band e

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 06:30:41 pm by gazzam1963 »

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 24, 2018, 06:38:50 pm »
Slightly getting derailed the thread but as uncle joe has presided over the student explosion these last ten years then what about the student lets . The owners of these house or students don't pay one single penny towards the council services and I don't think thats right . Expanding the student population has brought money to the local economy but the owners of student properties make more than a conventional landlord yet dont have to dig into there pockets even for a percentage . So build a block of student apartments housing 200 flats , if they were for sale or private rental thats £200,000 a year that's not being collected now .

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 24, 2018, 06:54:02 pm »
Slightly getting derailed the thread but as uncle joe has presided over the student explosion these last ten years then what about the student lets . The owners of these house or students don't pay one single penny towards the council services and I don't think thats right . Expanding the student population has brought money to the local economy but the owners of student properties make more than a conventional landlord yet dont have to dig into there pockets even for a percentage . So build a block of student apartments housing 200 flats , if they were for sale or private rental thats £200,000 a year that's not being collected now .
You are staying a tad wide. Firstly its the growth and success of our university's that have attracted more students, concomitantly with the vibrancy of the city which the City Council has facilitated not stagnated (apart from some licensing restrictions). Those students add to our economy albeit not on a huge scale like a solid manufacturing base would.

Liverpool Council were the first to bring in landlord licensing scheme which at least ensures decent accommodation.

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2018, 07:11:31 pm »
I did slightly credit the student population and totally agree that the success of the unis make the city more vibrant and friendly but thousands of them come and go and haven't contributed to any of the services . But I think there should be a way of making the actual owners pay a contribution as they charge more than the conventional landlords do . Even a 20% charge would add to coffers that are stretched . The landlord licensed scheme is firstly a money making scheme rather than ensuring decent accommodation , the worst of the landlords just ignore it while the decent ones whose accommodation is up to scratch pay it but more than likely pass it on to there tenant eventually .

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2018, 08:14:43 pm »
I did slightly credit the student population and totally agree that the success of the unis make the city more vibrant and friendly but thousands of them come and go and haven't contributed to any of the services . But I think there should be a way of making the actual owners pay a contribution as they charge more than the conventional landlords do . Even a 20% charge would add to coffers that are stretched . The landlord licensed scheme is firstly a money making scheme rather than ensuring decent accommodation , the worst of the landlords just ignore it while the decent ones whose accommodation is up to scratch pay it but more than likely pass it on to there tenant eventually .

Most students would qualify for council tax benefit even if they weren't exempt from paying to begin with. Student properties are not interchangeable with residential properties. You would never get families or young professionals living in the sort of accommodation students typically live in now. And all of those newly built student flats should come with a range of developer covenants to contribute to the local environment. I'd be amazed if that was not the case.

Students are great for the economy, and a lot do stay on when they graduate, often starting local businesses and paying CT and rates. The universities do a great job advertising the city, too.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2018, 09:00:32 pm »
Most students would qualify for council tax benefit even if they weren't exempt from paying to begin with. Student properties are not interchangeable with residential properties. You would never get families or young professionals living in the sort of accommodation students typically live in now. And all of those newly built student flats should come with a range of developer covenants to contribute to the local environment. I'd be amazed if that was not the case.

Students are great for the economy, and a lot do stay on when they graduate, often starting local businesses and paying CT and rates. The universities do a great job advertising the city, too.

I don't disagree with anything that's been said and it's not really the students I think should contribute but the landlord of the property , student accommodation does tend to be more expensive per room than normal tenants would pay so a scheme that makes a contribution would help the council as the issues are a lack of money . If an untenanted property is empty there is no grace for any landlord , there liable for council tax from day one that it's empty . I'm not talking about a full council tax but a contribution .

The finances of the city are only going to get worse over the coming years and finding other ways of people contributing needs to be done if we want to be able to live in a safe and clean city , unless we get a government change that contributes more

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 25, 2018, 01:21:16 pm »

Isn't the exemption being pulled in a couple of years?  If memory serves the city gets about £19m in regards council tax exemption on student accommodation.  When that gets pulled how will the shortfall be made up?  As I understood it from last year, the students remain exempt and we just lose the money.

I've yet to hear any solution from Uncle Joe, and in the meantime student flats continue to be thrown up all over the place, whilst actual Liverpool residents are struggling.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 25, 2018, 05:55:34 pm »
Isn't the exemption being pulled in a couple of years?  If memory serves the city gets about £19m in regards council tax exemption on student accommodation.  When that gets pulled how will the shortfall be made up?  As I understood it from last year, the students remain exempt and we just lose the money.

I've yet to hear any solution from Uncle Joe, and in the meantime student flats continue to be thrown up all over the place, whilst actual Liverpool residents are struggling.

First I've heard of that one. Do you have a link?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2018, 09:38:10 pm »
First I've heard of that one. Do you have a link?

Urgh.  Think it was on the Echo website about 18 months ago!  See if I can dig it out!!

Here's a link regarding student council tax exemption:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/students-need-pay-council-tax-10007389

And here is a RAWK discussion from November 2016 that references cutting the exemption.  Uncle Joe ain't too popular on this thread either!  ;D

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=330376.0

Can't seem to find any direct links at the moment though :(

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: January 26, 2018, 12:30:59 pm »
Urgh.  Think it was on the Echo website about 18 months ago!  See if I can dig it out!!

Here's a link regarding student council tax exemption:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/students-need-pay-council-tax-10007389

And here is a RAWK discussion from November 2016 that references cutting the exemption.  Uncle Joe ain't too popular on this thread either!  ;D

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=330376.0

Can't seem to find any direct links at the moment though :(

I think it's clear that students will continue to be exempt from council tax for the foreseeable future. They can't afford it, and asking the poorest to prop up the system is blatant toryism.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 26, 2018, 06:05:49 pm »
I think it's clear that students will continue to be exempt from council tax for the foreseeable future. They can't afford it, and asking the poorest to prop up the system is blatant toryism.

I think the dispute was that landlords were circumventing council tax by letting to students.  Maybe the idea has been shelved by the government since the election.  If memory serves it was supposed to kick in around 2019.  If it's still due to come in I'm sure we'll hear more about it soon enough.

Popcorn's Art

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 26, 2018, 07:59:20 pm »
My argument was not to let the student pay but the owner who lets to students , they do charge more than a standard rent so a contribution as small % of the cost of the council tax would help the coffers

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 27, 2018, 01:00:30 am »
My argument was not to let the student pay but the owner who lets to students , they do charge more than a standard rent so a contribution as small % of the cost of the council tax would help the coffers

Which they would immediately pass on to the students?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #159 on: February 3, 2018, 09:53:41 am »
Amazed the fact he was questioned under police caution about a fraud case hasn't been mentioned here yet!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-merseyside-42903284