Author Topic: Little Girl Giant - A Titanic commemoration  (Read 33527 times)

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
Re: Little Girl Giant - A Titanic commemoration
« Reply #200 on: October 7, 2018, 09:47:19 pm »
Utter bedlam round Chavasse Park this afternoon. It was already pretty full by 2pm, but more and more just kept piling in - most annoyingly from along the Strand (from the Liver Building side). There should have been police/stewards stopping that. I was with my missus and 2 daughters and we saw 2 kick-offs and god knows how many arguments. And what the fuck people with prams/pushchairs were doing there, fighting their way through tightly-packed crowds is beyond me.

We missed the 2014 one (on hol) so hadn't been since 2012. Back then, we drove onto the Albert Dock car park and stood on the river side of the Strand. The crowds were about 3-4 deep and people would make room for children. After they passed, we walked up to the Liver Building and watched them coming back. Then got a view of them departing on the boat. Most people there were part of families with kids. Lovely atmosphere.

This time round, we parked well away and walked through town. But you couldn't get close to the Strand road itself, certainly couldn't cross to reach the dock side. And following the giants along was right out the question - it was just a case of staying where you were and hoping for a view as they passed. I'd say the majority this time were adults without kids, along with groups of teenagers. These adults and near-adults were stopping in front of others already there and blocking views, constantly moving through, and generally being selfish, obnoxious twats. We got a place at the barrier outside A2Z and the older one sat on it whilst the younger was on my shoulders. They got very decent views, which I'm glad about because the little one barely remembers the Titanic show (she was 4).

Probably best that this is the last one, because its got too popular and the planning/crowd control by LCC is laughable.
Mate, you can't complain about people blocking views. You had your daughter on your shoulders ffs  :lmao
Agree with all the rest though; deffo got too big to control properly.
We've been to all three ( performances? ) and after this year we vowed we wouldn't go to another one.
It was just one bomb scare away from a disaster happening.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #201 on: October 8, 2018, 08:23:43 am »
Makes you proud to be scouse doesn't it.  ;)

Got to be said though, that dog was by far the best one, boss.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #202 on: October 8, 2018, 09:56:53 am »
Mate, you can't complain about people blocking views. You had your daughter on your shoulders ffs 

When rows of people in front of you have already done so, there's nothing else you can do. Do I tell my daughters "I know all the other children are on shoulders, but we must set a good example and it's tough that you can't see anything but the back of the 6 foot person in front of you." Besides, being so close to the A2Z, there were hardly any people behind us (and those with kids had them on their shoulders anyway).

The point was, people (mainly adults) were arriving right up to the giants reaching Canning and just barging their way through and squeezing in front of people already there, blocking their already disrupted view further. IMO, there should have been police/stewards stopping access to the Chavasse Park and Albert/Canning Dock area once it became pretty full.

You're right about the potential for tragedy if something would have happened, though. At one point, there was a definite sense of a crush beginning and I was figuring out the best escape route.
« Last Edit: October 8, 2018, 10:02:17 am by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #203 on: October 8, 2018, 10:13:10 am »
Should buy a get there early tent & claim a barrier spot at 4am.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: October 8, 2018, 05:13:31 pm »
Should buy a get there early tent & claim a barrier spot at 4am.

Given the number of people and their scant regard for others, it would likely have been trampled, thus damaging my primus stove and possibly also other camping paraphernalia.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #205 on: October 8, 2018, 09:51:09 pm »
When rows of people in front of you have already done so, there's nothing else you can do. Do I tell my daughters "I know all the other children are on shoulders, but we must set a good example and it's tough that you can't see anything but the back of the 6 foot person in front of you." Besides, being so close to the A2Z, there were hardly any people behind us (and those with kids had them on their shoulders anyway).

The point was, people (mainly adults) were arriving right up to the giants reaching Canning and just barging their way through and squeezing in front of people already there, blocking their already disrupted view further. IMO, there should have been police/stewards stopping access to the Chavasse Park and Albert/Canning Dock area once it became pretty full.

You're right about the potential for tragedy if something would have happened, though. At one point, there was a definite sense of a crush beginning and I was figuring out the best escape route.
I get where you're coming from mate.
It just looked a it funny the way it came across  :wave
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: October 9, 2018, 05:04:57 pm »
I get where you're coming from mate.
It just looked a it funny the way it came across  :wave

:wave

I was being over-touchy. Soz.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: October 10, 2018, 02:09:03 pm »
Live a street away from the prom in New Brighton so to have them here was absolutely superb.  My two year old didn't really get it but me and the missus were loving it.  Hated the crowds but you're going to get that.  Wonderful stuff and amazing yet sad it'll be their last outing, hopefully the Royal de Luxe troupe can be back with a new show in future.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2018, 11:30:22 am »
One of my photos is 1/73 to have been selected from over 3000 entries to appear in the official book. Been invited to the book launch and a civic reception with the Lord Mayor of Liverpool at St George's Hall on Thursday! Chuffed to bits!
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #209 on: November 19, 2018, 11:42:31 am »

Well done.

Are you allowed to post it up here or is it now subject to copyright restrictions?
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #210 on: November 19, 2018, 03:52:32 pm »
Well done.

Are you allowed to post it up here or is it now subject to copyright restrictions?

This is the one. Apparently it is going to be a full page in the book.
I'm guessing they liked it because it shows off the architecture of Castle St as well as the washing line. I did scope it for a while to find the most flattering angle of the buildings. I would imaging the majority of entries focused on the Giants themselves too which might have helped it to stand out.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/A6XBeHyy9TrFzuXd8

I did enter this one too, which is probably the superior photo technically, but I'm guessing they saw hundreds similar.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DyCAy669fbf9qmwh6
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 03:59:13 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #211 on: November 19, 2018, 04:58:12 pm »
Nice one. Off to our Benevol Thank you in a minute. Think one of us got one in too but no idea what the pic is of - and she can't remember :D

Think a certain Braziliian restaurant might owe you a free meal or two!
We are a team of one half.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: November 24, 2018, 12:50:28 am »
One of my photos is 1/73 to have been selected from over 3000 entries to appear in the official book. Been invited to the book launch and a civic reception with the Lord Mayor of Liverpool at St George's Hall on Thursday! Chuffed to bits!
How did it go?

I was invited to one on Monday but I regret not going. It was a corporate event and although I network well I really can't be arsed with it. I should have given it 3 hours of my time though.