Author Topic: Little Girl Giant - A Titanic commemoration  (Read 33526 times)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Little Girl Giant - A Titanic commemoration
« Reply #160 on: April 30, 2012, 07:07:08 pm »
Is it still on next Monday?

8.30 tonight on BBC NW it seems.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:14:43 pm by Tsar Kastik »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline Cesar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: May 1, 2012, 01:10:19 am »
Has anyone got a link to the youtube vid with the gild in rollers and Ugg boots?

I think that was just a photoshop effort for the Echo wasn't it?

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: May 23, 2012, 06:51:55 pm »
According to local BBC news, North West Tonight, the Sea Odyssey has been the most successful venture put on by Liverpool City Council, attracting 800,000 people, and generating approximately £32 million for the local economy.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #164 on: May 23, 2012, 08:22:20 pm »
Imperator fucking loves this. Get the next one booked, LCC.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2012, 07:07:47 am »
Even now a month on, our 4 year old still goes on about this nearly every day, seems to have made such an impression on him.

Hope there's more things like it in the pipeline
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 24, 2012, 10:12:26 pm »
Imperator fucking loves this. Get the next one booked, LCC.
These events take major planning mate, this one started in September 2011, probably a month or 2 earlier.

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #167 on: May 24, 2012, 10:18:22 pm »
Even now a month on, our 4 year old still goes on about this nearly every day, seems to have made such an impression on him.

Hope there's more things like it in the pipeline

It wasn't just the kids who enjoyed it, made adults feel like kids again.  Hard to pick a favourite but I think mine was the dog and my favourite 'scene' was the hug.
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 24, 2012, 10:19:43 pm »
It wasn't just the kids who enjoyed it, made adults feel like kids again.  Hard to pick a favourite but I think mine was the dog and my favourite 'scene' was the hug.

only went on the saturday, my daughter was absolutely in love with the girl, she still goes on about her now. That was enough for me to enjoy it.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #169 on: May 24, 2012, 11:11:58 pm »
only went on the saturday, my daughter was absolutely in love with the girl, she still goes on about her now. That was enough for me to enjoy it.

Must have been so magical for the kids, shame something like this doesn't come around more often. 

I know John said it took a lot of planning but it was something special, with the added bonus of the positive image of the City, it shut some of the naysayers up. 
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 25, 2012, 04:21:47 pm »
These events take major planning mate, this one started in September 2011, probably a month or 2 earlier.

I know yeah. That's why I want them to arrange the next one, do we can look forward to it in a couple of years.

Offline heatseeker

• Kopite
  • Step by step...
« Reply #171 on: June 3, 2012, 05:40:42 pm »
Liverpool Council asks for Sea Odyssey pictures for special book

ICONIC images of the Sea Odyssey giant  spectacular are being compiled in a  commemorative book – and amateur  photographers have the chance to get  their snaps included.
The book will include pictures taken by  some of the 800,000 spectators who  watched the huge marionettes explore the  city looking for each other in April.

Liverpool City Council is  commissioning a book which will contain  hundreds of pictures of the 30ft Little Girl  Giant, her playful dog Xolo and the 50ft  Uncle Giant.

The  three-day event formed part of  Liverpool’s commemorations of the  Titanic tragedy and brought £32m to the local economy. The performance, which  brought £32m to the local economy,  created by French marionette company Royal de Luxe ended  with the reunited pair leaving on a boat on  the River Mersey.

To be considered for inclusion in the  book, photographs must be high  resolution (at least 3MB), have no  copyright attached to it and have no  consent or permission issues.

Photographers will not be paid for  their images, but will be credited in the  book which is expected to be published  towards the end of the year.

The city council’s cabinet member for  culture and tourism Cllr Wendy Simon  said: “Ever since Sea Odyssey, we have  had people constantly approaching us,  asking for some sort of commemorative  product to be produced which would  re-live the amazing three days we  experienced in April.

“We’re delighted that we have been  able to get the ball rolling on this book,  which I am sure will grace the coffee  tables of every person who enjoyed the  visit of the three special visitors.”

Email your pictures to  seaodyssey@hotmail.co.uk by 5pm on  Tuesday, June 12 2012. The email should  include your full name and contact  number.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-news/regional-news/2012/06/01/liverpool-council-asks-for-sea-odyssey-pictures-for-special-book-99623-31091786/
There's no place on this planet, quite like Merseyside - Jegsy Dodd

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 7, 2014, 08:46:08 am »
Making a return in the summer,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-25629598

Sea Odyssey giants return to Liverpool for WW1 commemoration
Giants in Liverpool
The giant marionettes covered 23 miles between them over three days
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories

Giants 'generated £32m for city'
Giant event's £12m boost for city
In pictures: Second day of giants
Giant puppets will return to Liverpool for an event to mark 100 years since the outbreak of World War One.

Memories of August 1914 will see Little Girl Giant and her canine companion Xolo return to the city's streets from 23 to 27 July.

Last year, they appeared in Sea Odyssey which was watched by 800,000 people.

Helen Grant, Minister for Sport and Tourism, said: "Liverpool will without a doubt be home to one of the largest cultural commemorations."

'Outdoor magic'
The Royal De Luxe's street theatre show is one of many events that will be taking place across the country over the next four years.

Mrs Grant, who is co-ordinating the government's World War One commemorations, said: "This is sure to be a truly powerful and memorable piece of street theatre, which will shine a spotlight on an incredibly important period in our history."

Mayor of Liverpool Joe Anderson said it was "guaranteed to be awe inspiring".

Sea Odyssey saw three giant marionettes - a 50ft (15m) man, a 30ft (9m) girl, and a 9ft (2.m) dog, called Xolo - in the streets of Liverpool for a three-day event in April 2012.

The event, which commemorated the Titanic disaster, was witnessed by 800,000 people and generated an estimated £32m for the city.

The WWI event has been commissioned by Liverpool City Council and 14-18 Now, which is a cultural programme funded by groups including the Department for Culture Media and Sport.

The story for Memories of August 1914 and the route will be announced at a later date.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #173 on: January 7, 2014, 10:19:23 am »
Loved seeing this when it came through so will definitely look to come back up to see it!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #174 on: January 7, 2014, 11:56:37 am »
if you missed this first time around, get yer arses up to Liverpool when it's on....it's a remarkable spectacle
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Momos_righteye

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 7, 2014, 12:18:08 pm »
Missed this the last time myself, it was supposed to be amazing! Deffo sticking the date in the diary for this

Offline Shanklygates

• This is not a Custom Title.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #176 on: January 7, 2014, 01:22:38 pm »
Heard this on the radio this morning. Made up!
We are a team of one half.

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #177 on: January 7, 2014, 01:31:03 pm »
Boss news! Wonder if you'll get the same boring knowitalls moaning about what a waste of money it will be

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #179 on: January 7, 2014, 02:34:04 pm »
Saw this this morning, said to my 6 year old guess who's coming back to Liverpool, and his first guess was 'The giants'

He'd only just got up so he hadn't seen it anywhere, asked him why he said that and he said 'I always knew they would one day'

He went to school excited about it, made sure I've booked the week off work for it now, looking forward to it myself
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 7, 2014, 07:29:46 pm »
Saw this this morning, said to my 6 year old guess who's coming back to Liverpool, and his first guess was 'The giants'

He'd only just got up so he hadn't seen it anywhere, asked him why he said that and he said 'I always knew they would one day'

Awww, that's lovely.

I'm a grown up with no kids, but was captivated by the giants. They made me feel that child-like wonderment again. I can't wait for them to come back, I am thrilled.

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #181 on: January 7, 2014, 08:12:14 pm »
Fantastic news isn't it? One of the most- if not THE most- amazing things I've seen in the city. I'll readily admit to being choked when I got my first glimpse of the little girl and her dog (The Uncle was asleep in Lime St when we got there!) and I couldn't have gone to see them leave on the Sunday as I would have had tears tripping me!

Have already heard a few grumbles that it's "inappropriate" to commemorate a World War in such a way though....
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: January 7, 2014, 08:23:04 pm »
Bollocks to the grumblers. The 2012 event commemorated a tragic event too, and it was truly heartbreaking. I can't think of a more appropriate thing to do, and I am confident that the organizers will make it a very poignant spectacle.  With a little girl and an adult man, you can already begin to imagine the type of story that might be told.

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #183 on: January 8, 2014, 08:47:46 pm »
I totally agree with you Imperator!

I have heard this story will involve five puppets, I imagine the take on it will echo the feelings of the nation as the War broke out, that we were sticking by our promise to Belgium as Germany marched through, that it would all be over by Christmas....

I think it's going to be amazing.
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #184 on: June 6, 2014, 03:23:10 pm »
Bump.

Route has been announced for the giants return to Liverpool at the end of July. Covering quite alot of the city in three days.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/liverpool-giants-2014-route-maps-7217696

Can't wait for this. I was gutted that I missed out on their first visit.

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #185 on: June 6, 2014, 06:59:43 pm »
I was SO excited when I read this this morning. Have printed them off to study :) I am due to be helping but not had the details yet. Hope I get to see all of them still.

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2014, 09:14:53 pm »

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: July 28, 2014, 06:12:11 pm »
amazing

Offline Jonny5

• .... . .-.. .-.. ---
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 97 ynwa 39
« Reply #188 on: July 28, 2014, 06:44:11 pm »
pity that picture didnt pan out and include the tunnel area as that was full aswell.
When you walk through a storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #189 on: October 6, 2018, 02:22:16 pm »
Third time around and it's carnage in town again, but well worth is to see all the smiling faces on the kids.

Liverpool nails it once again.  :thumbup
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #190 on: October 6, 2018, 06:09:28 pm »
Really don’t get it, and it’s fucking murder around mine which is a right pain in the arse, but has really brought the crowds in so that’s great for the city.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: October 6, 2018, 09:09:19 pm »
Wow!

Proud as
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #192 on: October 6, 2018, 09:18:43 pm »
Will be worse tomorrow too.

I think it's boss meself.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #193 on: October 6, 2018, 09:38:19 pm »
Saw quite a few people, ( adults and children ) crying and having panic attacks coz the crowds were so huge.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: October 6, 2018, 09:40:52 pm »
Saw quite a few people, ( adults and children ) crying and having panic attacks coz the crowds were so huge.

Evertonians

:lmao

I jest

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #195 on: October 6, 2018, 10:17:03 pm »
Evertonians

I jest
Many a true word spoken in jest  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: October 6, 2018, 11:00:03 pm »
In God's country.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #197 on: October 7, 2018, 12:52:07 am »
This is boss . Get on the dancing bit.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JPz

Town was mental today .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Shanklygates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The runaway train.....
« Reply #198 on: October 7, 2018, 01:50:43 am »
I was a benevol trying tot make space to get the giants through that. You don't realise the crowd is THAT big from inside the bubble. Amazing ouctures though, and sky for Oct! :D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #199 on: October 7, 2018, 09:26:12 pm »
Utter bedlam round Chavasse Park this afternoon. It was already pretty full by 2pm, but more and more just kept piling in - most annoyingly from along the Strand (from the Liver Building side). There should have been police/stewards stopping that. I was with my missus and 2 daughters and we saw 2 kick-offs and god knows how many arguments. And what the fuck people with prams/pushchairs were doing there, fighting their way through tightly-packed crowds is beyond me.

We missed the 2014 one (on hol) so hadn't been since 2012. Back then, we drove onto the Albert Dock car park and stood on the river side of the Strand. The crowds were about 3-4 deep and people would make room for children. After they passed, we walked up to the Liver Building and watched them coming back. Then got a view of them departing on the boat. Most people there were part of families with kids. Lovely atmosphere.

This time round, we parked well away and walked through town. But you couldn't get close to the Strand road itself, certainly couldn't cross to reach the dock side. And following the giants along was right out the question - it was just a case of staying where you were and hoping for a view as they passed. I'd say the majority this time were adults without kids, along with groups of teenagers. These adults and near-adults were stopping in front of others already there and blocking views, constantly moving through, and generally being selfish, obnoxious twats. We got a place at the barrier outside A2Z and the older one sat on it whilst the younger was on my shoulders. They got very decent views, which I'm glad about because the little one barely remembers the Titanic show (she was 4).

Probably best that this is the last one, because its got too popular and the planning/crowd control by LCC is laughable.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"