Author Topic: Little Girl Giant - A Titanic commemoration  (Read 33530 times)

Offline Block306

• Anny Roader
Re: Little Girl Giant - A Titanic commemoration
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2012, 07:28:45 pm »
where are the people from who run this show?

France I think mate.  The director was French anyway.

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2012, 07:31:14 pm »
France I think mate.  The director was French anyway.

cheers mate.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »

THIS weekend’s Sea Odyssey spectacular, which put Liverpool on the world stage, is expected to net the city’s economy in excess of the £12m estimated by organisers.

Half a million visitors from Merseyside and beyond flocked to the three-day street theatre extravaganza – twice the number predicted.

Restaurants, shops and hotels were among the businesses to benefit from the feelgood factor with hotel bookings up by 12% compared to the same weekend last year.

And pub bosses said weekend showers boosted business further as visitors following the three giants around the city centre looked for shelter.

More than 100 journalists applied for media accreditation for the city’s biggest-ever outdoor event, and pictures were beamed worldwide.

Organisers said the people of Liverpool had taken the puppets – a 30ft Little Girl, her 50ft uncle and Xolo, the 9ft dog – to their hearts.

Devised by French street theatre company Royal de Luxe and inspired by the Titanic disaster, Sea Odyssey told the story of a Little Girl Giant who comes to Liverpool searching for news of her father – a stowaway who died on the ship.

Cllr Wendy Simon, Liverpool City Council’s cabinet member for culture, said: “It’s been a fantastic event which brought an amazing turnout from the people of Liverpool.

“People from all across the country also came to see the giants.

“The atmosphere across the city has been brilliant and people have really welcomed these giants into Liverpool and into their hearts.”

Tracy Leigh, manager of the Pumphouse Inn, at the Albert Dock, said: “The weather was awful at times and it definitely brought more people in.”

Liverpool City Council said early figures showed around 500,000 people came into the city over the weekend.

In contrast, the city’s last major street theatre event – La Machine’s spider La Princesse, which roamed the streets during Capital of Culture year in 2008 – attracted around 200,000.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2012/04/23/sea-odyssey-spectacular-expected-to-net-city-s-economy-more-than-12million-100252-30816426/#ixzz1stRg0hn2
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline bordeauxred

• posh scouser
  • Kopite
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2012, 08:52:33 pm »
The french street artists are from Nantes, France - its another port, like us, but on the SW coast. They also did the street giants in Nantes a few years ago. What a success! 

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32:38 pm »
It will only (it seems) be on BBC in the North West. Is anyone able to record it such that it can be downloaded from somewhere?
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2012, 10:19:26 pm »
Some of my best shots from Sunday:
(Full album here)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 10:26:25 pm by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Rafette

• Kopite
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off.....
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2012, 10:40:37 pm »
Brilliant shots Imperator!

Have to say I just loved it. Just missed the uncle on Castle St after work on Friday, but my dad had been out and about with his camera and got a load of snaps of the giants. Went into town on Saturday, I was right by the Little Girl Giant getting on her scooter, I thought it was brilliant! Xolo the dog had been running up and down James St for a bit, then she appeared round the corner from Castle St, it really was a "wow" moment, it actually choked me up seeing her. After she scooted off to the Pier Head, we went for a drink in town then on to Lime St to see the Uncle, he'd arrived a bit early and was already asleep when we got there. Size of him though. The sound of his snoring was great! We headed back to my car on Princes Dock and were pleased to spot the Little Girl having a snooze behind the Liver Building. I just loved seeing so many little kids (and big kids like myself!) totally buying into it and enjoying it- everyone seemed to have left their cynicism at home
"If you can't make decisions in life, you're a bloody menace. You'd be better becoming an MP!" Bill Shankly

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2012, 10:48:58 pm »
Brilliant shots Imperator!

Thanks very much. Here is a little video of the little girl as she moves along the Strand too.
https://picasaweb.google.com/101390963645492547922/GiantSpectacular#5734702762070029282

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2012, 11:11:00 pm »
where are the people from who run this show?
They were staying in a hotel in town mate - not telling you which :P

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2012, 11:12:50 pm »
There a documentary on BBC1 on Wednesday I think.

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2012, 11:21:44 pm »

yup there is.
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Jonny5

• .... . .-.. .-.. ---
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 97 ynwa 39
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:12 pm »
what a brilliant event, well done to all those responsible for putting this on i cant thank you enough, one of my greatest memories was spending the day with my son following the giant spider all over the city back in 08, now i have three children and have even more great memories to cherish, great great weekend and cant wait till the next one.
When you walk through a storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2012, 08:44:28 am »
I was at the Liver Building and saw the girl sitting down, but we got bored and went for a few bevvies in the Japanese restaurant and forgot about it - didn't see her moving once :D Saw the crowds vanishing in the distance though. :D
I love you all. Even Mancs x

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2012, 09:52:44 am »
Superb event, came out of lime st and the Uncle was snoring his head off, waited till he had moved off. Brilliantly co-ordinated and efficient, it moved quicker than I imagined. Then went across to Stanley st and saw the dog and girl, again stunning

Went for a couple of beers and then met the only slight sour note as the station was chaotic with not enough staff organising queues and a lack of carriages on trains. We were ok, but loads missed trains and some wer well overcrowded. For an event predicted at such high numbers, surely the train companies should have been better prepared.

You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2012, 09:57:45 am »
Took the kids Sat by James St in the afternoon, great atmosphere, the dog certainly entertained the huge crowd.
The boys loved it, looking forward to the next Nantes spectacular.
Wrt the trains, they were running every 2/3 mins yet the sheer volume of people made it overcrowded. We walked upto Moorfields (saw the girl again on the way up), by the time the train got to James St it was already full.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:00:51 am by stevedo »

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #135 on: April 24, 2012, 11:21:27 am »
I went with my boys on Friday and was pleased to have seen this show but I'm gutted now I couldn't go back in Saturday and Sunday. I thought it would be just the same each day but when you factor in the emotional aspects to it and the story that was unfolding, I wish I'd have sorted it so I could have seen it each day.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline Redzippy

• Kopite
  • Woof woof ! - sick of it i tells yer !
« Reply #136 on: April 24, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »
Was superb - think i got a bit lucky on Saturday though - by the sounds of what people are saying (although having knowledge of the backstreets of Lpool & not following the crowds did help)... seen the uncle walking down renshaw st & then getting a drink from a fire engine.... then stumbled upon the dog & girl on paradise st where she gave some kids a swing on her arms ... and then manged to get a boss speck at the docks for the finale of the 3 meeting up !!  ..... i dont class meself as an emotional person... but gotta say - there was deffo something there when they met up !!  superb ...

Love it when Lpool does stuff like this ..... just shows how lucky we are to live in a city like Lpool - not many cities in the world (never mind the country) get to see stuff like this !!  shame all the capital of culture moneys gone now.... i dont think we'll see anything like this for a long time - if ever again !!

Just glad to have seen it first hand !!!

Agree regarding the trains though..... shambles !! - but we just ducked in the crown & waited for the last train ..... :)
Y-N-W-A

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #137 on: April 24, 2012, 01:53:13 pm »
Not a twatter user myself, but my mate follows Geri Ryan ( Star Trek- 7 of 9 ), and funnily enough, she was asking for anyone to post video's of the giants, so she could watch.   :D

Jeri Ryan‏@JeriLRyanReply
Retweet

Favorite
· Open

Oh, Liverpool...you're so lucky. Somebody better post videos! http://www.giantspectacular.com /via @Chrisjng

http://twitter.com/#!/jerilryan
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:56:26 pm by Big Red Richie »

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: April 24, 2012, 02:25:08 pm »
 :lmao  :o

An event to mark 100 years since the Titanic sank has been slammed as "disgusting" after a 30ft Little Girl Giant appeared to act out urinating in the street.

One relatives of RMS Titanic ship owner J. Bruce Ismay described the puppet being seen to relieve itself as "totally inappropriate" in marking the loss of more than 1500 lives.

http://www.clickliverpool.com/news/local-news/1215872-liverpool%5Cs-sea-odyssey-branded-%5Cdisgusting%5C-after-little-girl-giant-urinates-in-street.html
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:13 pm »
As the French say  OUI!  OUI!   ;D   :wave

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8wTXF_NkujQ?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8wTXF_NkujQ?version=3</a>
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:47:51 pm by Big Red Richie »

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »
where else does it go?

Online Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:56 pm »

Changed to next Monday now - programme about the McCanns on tomorrow instead.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »
yup there is.
Not down here? Is this North West only?
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2012, 08:45:28 pm »
Not down here? Is this North West only?

think its been moved to another day someone said before before.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:39 pm »
think its been moved to another day someone said before before.
Even before it got moved I couldn't see it in the listings. Was just listed as the One show.
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: April 24, 2012, 08:47:36 pm »
Even before it got moved I couldn't see it in the listings. Was just listed as the One show.

i'll check for you after the match mate.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57:35 pm »

I set my Sky+ to record it yesterday, and it is still showing on my planner.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 24, 2012, 09:43:28 pm »
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 24, 2012, 09:47:08 pm »
Has anyone got a link to the youtube vid with the gild in rollers and Ugg boots?

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 24, 2012, 10:07:43 pm »
I haven't got a direct link, but one of my female mates on faceache has it.   Here's the image for you.  :wave

Edit: sorry, I didn't realise there was a vid.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 10:39:40 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2012, 10:13:55 pm »
I was lucky enough to be invited to be in the new buiding on the corner of The Strand and Mann Island, on Sunday, so had a fantastic view of the proceedings.

Looking down on the giants (doesn't that sound wierd), gives you a great view, but it doesn't really lend itself for great photo's, as you don't have the same visual impact from above.

Also, on the day, there was lots of reflections from the glass, so none of the photo's came out as good as I'd hoped they would.

here's afew.

Offline Big Red Richie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2012, 10:17:00 pm »
Funny, you know it's busy, but you don't really realise how many people are on the streets, untill you are on the outside looking in, so to speak.

Online Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2012, 10:29:49 pm »
I haven't got a direct a link, but one of my femail mates on faceache has it.   here's the image for you.  :wave
Ta Richie, thats ace. Perhaps thats all there is. Just heard about it.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2012, 10:32:38 pm »
Great pics they are Richie mate. Superb views.

Offline Kopite1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2012, 10:34:18 am »
If you do want to watch this show, and don't live in the North West, there's 2 other ways to watch it, obviously BBC iPlayer but also if you have Sky, somewhere from about channel 900 upwards they broadcast the regional programs so for eg I can watch BBC South West news if I wanted and vice versa.

No idea if same facilities are on Virgin and BT TV
Proud to be "An Internet Terrorist"

SOS# 1159

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #156 on: April 25, 2012, 10:53:45 am »
If you do want to watch this show, and don't live in the North West, there's 2 other ways to watch it, obviously BBC iPlayer but also if you have Sky, somewhere from about channel 900 upwards they broadcast the regional programs so for eg I can watch BBC South West news if I wanted and vice versa.

No idea if same facilities are on Virgin and BT TV

Is it still on next Monday?
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Kopite1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:31 am »
Is it still on next Monday?

It's screening date according to today's Liverpool Echo is April 30th at 8.30pm in the North West only, although as I said in previous post, if you have Sky you can watch BBC NW anywhere in the UK. Tonights scheduled slot has been given to Panorma for the Maddy McCann doumentary, as I think it's 5 years ago this week that she went missing.

Edit: There are 4 pages of amazing pictures taken by the public in today's Echo too if anyones interested
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:27:47 am by Kopite1971 »
Proud to be "An Internet Terrorist"

SOS# 1159

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #158 on: April 25, 2012, 12:48:59 pm »
Some really great photos these

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2012, 05:01:31 pm »
Gorgeous little video here made by the production team at the Liverpool Echo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eYRdoKVVImE#!